Printing in Impress

Next » 12
Malcolm Moore Malcolm Moore

Printing in Impress

If I create a presentation in Impress and set the
page size to A3 landscape, how do I print it ?

It always comes out  ( partly on ) A4 and the
dropdown to change the paper size in the print
dialog is greyed out at A4

In the end I PDF'ed it and printed it out that way
but that's less than elegant !

LO 5.0.2 openSuse BTW

Ta

Mal
Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: Printing in Impress

Hi Malcome,

Malcolm Moore schrieb:
> If I create a presentation in Impress and set the
> page size to A3 landscape, how do I print it ?
>

> It always comes out  ( partly on ) A4 and the
> dropdown to change the paper size in the print
> dialog is greyed out at A4

What paper size is your printer able to print on? Has hit got A3? Can it
print A4 borderless?

For to enable the printer settings you need to check the options "Use
only paper tray from printer preferences" and "Use only size form
printer preferences" in the tab "Options".

Kind regards
Regina

Malcolm Moore Malcolm Moore

Re: Printing in Impress

Hi,

Yes the printer does A3 and borderless

Creating an A3 presentation ( Format page / Page )
will not print as A3 it always comes out as A4.
Using 'Use only paper tray from printer preferences'
means it prints landscape but it is still on A4

An A3 Writer document prints as expected

Ta

Mal

> If I create a presentation in Impress and set the
> page size to A3 landscape, how do I print it ?
>

> It always comes out  ( partly on ) A4 and the
> dropdown to change the paper size in the print
> dialog is greyed out at A4

What paper size is your printer able to print on? Has hit got A3? Can it
print A4 borderless?

For to enable the printer settings you need to check the options "Use
only paper tray from printer preferences" and "Use only size form
printer preferences" in the tab "Options".

Kind regards
Regina

Mike Scott Mike Scott

Re: Printing in Impress

On 09/10/15 09:31, Malcolm Moore wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Yes the printer does A3 and borderless
>

> Creating an A3 presentation ( Format page / Page )
> will not print as A3 it always comes out as A4.
> Using 'Use only paper tray from printer preferences'
> means it prints landscape but it is still on A4

As Regina said, you also need to set 'use only paper /size/ from...' as
well. Otherwise I see the same symptom (landscape, and size locked to A4).

BTW, Impress seems to pick its size differently from Draw, which chooses
a more useful default of A3 for an A3 drawing.

Haven't we only just been here? :-) :-) :-)  I suggest again that the
Print dialogue could use some improvement in this area.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England

Malcolm Moore Malcolm Moore

Re: Printing in Impress

Eventually the penny dropped, sorry for being thick !
This is outstandingly horrible !

My summary for anyone in the same boat suffering from brain failure at the end of the week:

You have to go to 'Tools/Options/LibreOffice Impress/Print
Make sure Paper tray from printer settings is unchecked

Then 'File/Print' ( at this point the Print/Properties are wrong and greyed out )
Then 'Options' and check 'Use only paper tray from printer preferences' and 'Use only paper size from printer preferences'
Then go back to 'General' select the printer and go to 'Properties' ( If you don't do this now it forgets the previous step )
The paper size and orientation are now available to change
Then OK

It will then work for the duration of the session as A3 and Landscape are now selected ( but greyed out again )
Once you save it and open it again you have to start from the beginning.

Mal

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England

Mike Scott-2 Mike Scott-2

Re: Printing in Impress

On 09/10/15 12:43, Malcolm Moore wrote:
> This is outstandingly horrible !

Yes.

> My summary for anyone in the same boat suffering from brain failure at the end of the week:

> It will then work for the duration of the session as A3 and Landscape are now selected ( but greyed out again )
> Once you save it and open it again you have to start from the beginning.

Not correct AFAICS. Unfortunately, changing print properties doesn't
seem to mark the file as needs-to-be-saved, so ^S does nothing (and
File|Save is greyed out). However, if the print stuff is set up, and
then a substantive change is made followed by a save, the print info is
saved as well. But if you need to change it again, you have to go
through the whole procedure again.

At least it seems that way after a quick experiment.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England

Malcolm Moore Malcolm Moore

Re: Printing in Impress

I stand corrected :-) but the fun continues...

If you set it up, save it and reopen it, you are correct
it does save the printer settings but then select
another identical printer from your list of printers it goes
back to A4 for that printer . If then you go 'oops, my mistake'
and go back to the original printer that has gone back to A4
again. At that point if you cancel out and do file print again
on the original printer it's back to A3.

Are there bugs posted for this - this seems almost designed
to be a monumental pain in the behind ?

Best wishes

Mal

> My summary for anyone in the same boat suffering from brain failure at the end of the week:

> It will then work for the duration of the session as A3 and Landscape are now selected ( but greyed out again )
> Once you save it and open it again you have to start from the beginning.

Not correct AFAICS. Unfortunately, changing print properties doesn't
seem to mark the file as needs-to-be-saved, so ^S does nothing (and
File|Save is greyed out). However, if the print stuff is set up, and
then a substantive change is made followed by a save, the print info is
saved as well. But if you need to change it again, you have to go
through the whole procedure again.

At least it seems that way after a quick experiment.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England

gcatlast gcatlast

copying text with formatting from a web page

Hi,
I'm copying some text from a web page (windows explorer) into a Writer doc; the text copies OK, but I can't seem to preserve superscripting. I've tried normal, HTML format and formatted text [RTF] as paste options; I can get attributes such as colour pasted, but can't seem to get that superscript. MS Word OTOH does preserve the superscript attribute, so it must be there on the clipboard. Is there a way of coaxing this information into Writer?
Thanks,/Gary

gcatlast gcatlast

Re: copying text with formatting from a web page

Should've said, I'm using 4.4.3.2/G.
I'm copying some text from a web page (windows explorer) into a Writer doc; the text copies OK, but I can't seem to preserve superscripting. I've tried normal, HTML format and formatted text [RTF] as paste options; I can get attributes such as colour pasted, but can't seem to get that superscript. MS Word OTOH does preserve the superscript attribute, so it must be there on the clipboard. Is there a way of coaxing this information into Writer?
Thanks,/Gary

TomD TomD

Re: copying text with formatting from a web page

Hi :)
So Microsoft's Internet Explorer only plays well with Microsoft Office?
Err, is there any surprise there?

Have you tried with other web-browsers?  Internet Explorer often seems to
be a pos imo and ime.  Each release of it seems to have a load of different
'issues' handling internationally agreed standards (yes, Microsoft ARE
involved in setting those standards!).  So websites sometimes have to write
extra code specifically aimed at certain versions of IE.  At best IE seems
to behave more like a trojan as it's so often found to have remarkable
security issues.  MS usually put out at least 1 or more security patch per
fortnight to deal with some critical problem or other.

Please, please, please try Chrome, Safari, Opera, or anything else.  Even
Firefox's worst releases appear to be better than IE.  There are a huge
range of web-browsers available for free and quite easy to download and
install.

Personally i would probably paste anything off a website as plain-text and
then add back the formatting myself.  There are a few websites i kinda
trust but in general i'd try to avoid risking pulling dodgy formatting and
what-ever else across into another program/app.

Sorry for the tone here!  Good luck with all this!
Many apols sand regards from
Tom :)

On 9 October 2015 at 15:54, Gary Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Should've said, I'm using 4.4.3.2/G.

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

Re: Printing in Impress

Mike Scott wrote:

> On 09/10/15 12:43, Malcolm Moore wrote:
>> This is outstandingly horrible !
>
> Yes.
>
>> My summary for anyone in the same boat suffering from brain failure at
>> the end of the week:
>
>> It will then work for the duration of the session as A3 and Landscape
>> are now selected ( but greyed out again )
>> Once you save it and open it again you have to start from the beginning.
>
> Not correct AFAICS. Unfortunately, changing print properties doesn't
> seem to mark the file as needs-to-be-saved, so ^S does nothing (and
> File|Save is greyed out).

That depends on the settings:
- Tools > Options > LibreOffice > General > Printing sets "document
modified" status
and:
- Tools > Options > LibreOffice > General > Allow to save document even
when the document is not modified

Tools > Options > Load/Save > General > Load printer settings with the
document probably also affects whether previously saved printer settings
are actually used next time the document is opened.

Mark.

Mike Scott-2 Mike Scott-2

Re: Printing in Impress and file dialogue choice

On 09/10/15 20:24, [hidden email] wrote:

> Mike Scott wrote:
>> On 09/10/15 12:43, Malcolm Moore wrote:
>>> This is outstandingly horrible !
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> My summary for anyone in the same boat suffering from brain failure at
>>> the end of the week:
>>
>>> It will then work for the duration of the session as A3 and Landscape
>>> are now selected ( but greyed out again )
>>> Once you save it and open it again you have to start from the beginning.
>>
>> Not correct AFAICS. Unfortunately, changing print properties doesn't
>> seem to mark the file as needs-to-be-saved, so ^S does nothing (and
>> File|Save is greyed out).
>
> That depends on the settings:
> - Tools > Options > LibreOffice > General > Printing sets "document
> modified" status
> and:
> - Tools > Options > LibreOffice > General > Allow to save document even
> when the document is not modified
>
> Tools > Options > Load/Save > General > Load printer settings with the
> document probably also affects whether previously saved printer settings
> are actually used next time the document is opened.
>
> Mark.

Hmmm.

I think the problem here is one of obscurity. Too many options spread
over too many dialogues/tabs all affecting results, no obvious way to
find what's happening unless you "just know" to look there, and the help
file isn't very helpful.

There's even inconsistency between programs. Try the following in each
of Writer and Impress. Create a new document and save it. Change the
printer via File|Print setting. Now look at menu choice File|Save. In
Impress, it's greyed out. In Writer, it's available.

(Both options you mention above are unset in my system, btw.)

To add more annoyance, as part of trying to get my own brochure issue
sorted, I upgraded to 5.0.2.2. A minor upgrade, yet it's changed the
file load/save dialogues to LO's own. The option to revert to (my
preference) the system dialogues has apparently gone. The information at
https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Opening_Documents#System_File_Dialogs_or_LibreOffice_Dialogs
is clearly now wrong. It's not helpful to do this to the poor user!!!

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England

Graham Luffrum Graham Luffrum

Re: Printing in Impress and file dialogue choice

Under my version of LO 5.0.2.2 (under Linux Mint 17.2 32 bit) I still have
the choice between LO's dialogues and the system dialogues.

Graham

On 10 October 2015 at 09:59, Mike Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/10/15 20:24, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Mike Scott wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> My summary for anyone in the same boat suffering from brain failure at

>>> It will then work for the duration of the session as A3 and Landscape
>>>>

>>> Not correct AFAICS. Unfortunately, changing print properties doesn't
>>> seem to mark the file as needs-to-be-saved, so ^S does nothing (and
>>> File|Save is greyed out).
>>>

>> That depends on the settings:
>> - Tools > Options > LibreOffice > General > Printing sets "document
>> modified" status
>> and:
>> - Tools > Options > LibreOffice > General > Allow to save document even
>> when the document is not modified
>>
>> Tools > Options > Load/Save > General > Load printer settings with the
>> document probably also affects whether previously saved printer settings
>> are actually used next time the document is opened.
>>
>> Mark.
>>

> Hmmm.
>
> I think the problem here is one of obscurity. Too many options spread over
> too many dialogues/tabs all affecting results, no obvious way to find
> what's happening unless you "just know" to look there, and the help file
> isn't very helpful.
>
> There's even inconsistency between programs. Try the following in each of
> Writer and Impress. Create a new document and save it. Change the printer
> via File|Print setting. Now look at menu choice File|Save. In Impress, it's
> greyed out. In Writer, it's available.
>
> (Both options you mention above are unset in my system, btw.)
>

> To add more annoyance, as part of trying to get my own brochure issue
> sorted, I upgraded to 5.0.2.2. A minor upgrade, yet it's changed the file
> load/save dialogues to LO's own. The option to revert to (my preference)
> the system dialogues has apparently gone. The information at
>
> https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Opening_Documents#System_File_Dialogs_or_LibreOffice_Dialogs
> is clearly now wrong. It's not helpful to do this to the poor user!!!
>

> --
> Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
> Harlow Essex England

Mike Scott-2 Mike Scott-2

Re: file dialogue choice

On 10/10/15 14:30, Graham Luffrum wrote:
> Under my version of LO 5.0.2.2 (under Linux Mint 17.2 32 bit) I still have
> the choice between LO's dialogues and the system dialogues.
Curious. I've got "Version: 5.0.2.2
Build ID: 00m0(Build:2)
Locale: en-GB (en_GB.UTF-8)"
running on Qiana 64 bit.

I used to have system-style dialogues set; since upgrading from (iirc)
5.0.1.x it's switched itself to LO dialogues.

At help.libreoffice.org/Common/Open_1, I'm told
"To activate the LibreOffice Open and Save dialog boxes, choose Tools -
Options - LibreOffice- General, and then select the Use LibreOffice
dialogs in the Open/Save dialogs area"
which roughly corresponds with my recollection about how I switched away
from LO dialogues in the first place.

The problem I have, is that that tab (nor any other) simply does not
have that setting available on it. I see only areas labelled "Load",
"Save" and "Default File Format and ODF Settings" each with a number of
checkboxes. Nothing anywhere to restore my preferred dialogue box style.

Anyone any idea how to switch back please?

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England

Mike Scott Mike Scott

Re: file dialogue choice

On 10/10/15 15:02, Mike Scott wrote:

> On 10/10/15 14:30, Graham Luffrum wrote:
>> Under my version of LO 5.0.2.2 (under Linux Mint 17.2 32 bit) I still
>> have
>> the choice between LO's dialogues and the system dialogues.
> Curious. I've got "Version: 5.0.2.2
> Build ID: 00m0(Build:2)
> Locale: en-GB (en_GB.UTF-8)"
> running on Qiana 64 bit.
>
> I used to have system-style dialogues set; since upgrading from (iirc)
> 5.0.1.x it's switched itself to LO dialogues.
> Anyone any idea how to switch back please?

OK. I see what's happened. Seems the upgrade didn't for whatever reason
provide a compatible version of libreoffice-gnome. Installing that
fixers the issue. And (for the sharp-eyed) there are two options tabs
titled "General". I did look at both (honest!), although I specifically
referred to the wrong one on my posting.

I wonder if a warning in the help file might be in order that the extra
package is needed.

(I see that LO-presenter-console, LO-avmedia-backend-gst and a handful
of other LO extras are also not upgraded. Time to do some fixing.......)

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England

TomD TomD

Re: file dialogue choice

Hi :)
Congrats for figuring all that out and for navigating through the wiki
help-system!

The
Tools - Options
dialogue has several main sections and 2-3 of those have their own
"General" sub-section.  I think of the first main section as a "General"
section although in my current version of LibreOffice on this machine it's
actually called "LibreOffice".  Most/all of the main sections have a page
themselves and i'm not sure how obvious that is once you expand it's main
section to reveal all the sub-pages.  I guess it's one of those UX issues
that people have very different expectations of.  To me it would make sense
if clicking on the main section/heading gave me a long scrollable list of
all the settings on all it's sub-pages - but i quite like it the way it is
too and the current way makes intuitive sense too.

Now that you have posted your 2nd post it's 'obvious' to me that you were
in the wrong place in your 1st post.  However i wouldn't have realised that
in the 13mins it took you to solve your own issue.

I tend to find the quickest way to solve such problems is to ask an
appropriate mailing list first and then start hunting for an answer
myself.  Sometimes even just posting the question makes me realise the
answer immediately after clicking on "Send".  Sometimes someone posts the
right answer just as i've found it in documentation or through google.
Other times i've reached my wits end or been so stuffed-up and confused by
advice out there that the answers from the mailing list are a huge help in
cutting through.

So, i like your approach, especially the way you posted your own answer so
we all knew you had fixed it and so that people in the future might be
helped by your answer.

Anyway, congrats and regards from
Tom :)

Mike Scott wrote:

> On 09/10/15 20:24, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Mike Scott wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes.

>>> Not correct AFAICS. Unfortunately, changing print properties doesn't
>>> seem to mark the file as needs-to-be-saved, so ^S does nothing (and
>>> File|Save is greyed out).
>>
>> That depends on the settings:
>> - Tools > Options > LibreOffice > General > Printing sets "document
>> modified" status
>> and:
>> - Tools > Options > LibreOffice > General > Allow to save document even
>> when the document is not modified
>>
>> Tools > Options > Load/Save > General > Load printer settings with the
>> document probably also affects whether previously saved printer settings
>> are actually used next time the document is opened.
>
> Hmmm.
>
> I think the problem here is one of obscurity. Too many options spread
> over too many dialogues/tabs all affecting results, no obvious way to
> find what's happening unless you "just know" to look there, and the help
> file isn't very helpful.
>
> There's even inconsistency between programs. Try the following in each
> of Writer and Impress. Create a new document and save it. Change the
> printer via File|Print setting. Now look at menu choice File|Save. In
> Impress, it's greyed out. In Writer, it's available.
>
> (Both options you mention above are unset in my system, btw.)

Now you mention it, I see that too in LibreOffice 4.4.2 on Windows. With
both unset:
- Tools > Options > LibreOffice > General > Printing sets "document
modified" status
- Tools > Options > LibreOffice > General > Allow to save document even
when the document is not modified

Changing printer:
- Create new document (for Base, also create a database form)
- Save
- Change the printer at File > Printer Settings
   - In Writer or Base (at least in form editor), the document is
treated as modified (Save is available, and attempting to close give a
warning that it's not saved)
   - In Calc, Impress, Draw and Formula, the document is NOT treated as
modified.

Changing printer-specific properties:
- Create new document (for Base, also create a database form)
- Save
- Change printer-specific settings at File > Printer Settings >
Properties (I've tried with an Epson SX100 changing the Quality and
Reverse Order settings)
   - In Writer or Base (at least in form editor), the document is
treated as modified
   - In Calc, Impress, Draw and Formula, the document is NOT treated as
modified.
- Save
- Again, change printer-specific settings at File > Printer Settings >
Properties
   - This time, the document is NOT treated as modified, even in Writer
and Base forms; it is only the first time that treats the document as
modified.

Changing LibreOffice printer options:
- Create new document (for Base, also create a database form)
- Save
- Change all the tick-box options at File > Printer Settings > Options
- In all components, the document is NOT treated as modified.

It's probably not worth me reporting this against 4.4.2, but if you can
reproduce with the latest version it would probably be worth submitting
a bug report against Writer (it also affects Base forms, but I think
that just uses Writer so probably really the same problem). If you
submit a bug, please post back with the bug number.

Mark.

gcatlast gcatlast

Re: copying text with formatting from a web page

Tom,
That's a good suggestion, perhaps I should have thought of it. I will give it a go. In general, I use MS because it has been the only one I know capable of handling .mht files, and I save web pages using that format because I find it *much* more convenient to have the page saved in a single file, rather than as a file plus a folder. Perhaps other browsers can now open these files now? I don't know, I haven't got around to checking recently. You know how it is, you find something that works for you and just stick with it - kind of inertia.
I had a reply privately from Brian, though, which suggested that it might be due to the type of formatting used in the .css - using "vertical-align", and if so, that LO probably wouldn't recognise it. I checked the file in a text editor and that is indeed how the superscripting is generated in these pages.
I have since found a workaround which is not the most convenient but will at least allow me to get done what I need to get done.
best,/Gary

TomD TomD

Re: copying text with formatting from a web page

Hi :)
Brian is always technically correct so it's well worth taking much more
notice of his suggestions than mine.  I tend to use generalities and maybe
suggest ways of exploring or experimenting or different ways of thinking
and give links to documentation that might help.  Brian 'just' gives the
right answer each time.

On 16 October 2015 at 09:42, Gary Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> That's a good suggestion, perhaps I should have thought of it. I will give
> it a go. In general, I use MS because it has been the only one I know
> capable of handling .mht files, and I save web pages using that format
> because I find it *much* more convenient to have the page saved in a single
> file, rather than as a file plus a folder. Perhaps other browsers can now
> open these files now? I don't know, I haven't got around to checking
> recently. You know how it is, you find something that works for you and
> just stick with it - kind of inertia.
>
> I had a reply privately from Brian, though, which suggested that it might
> be due to the type of formatting used in the .css - using "vertical-align",
> and if so, that LO probably wouldn't recognise it. I checked the file in a
> text editor and that is indeed how the superscripting is generated in these
> pages.
>
> I have since found a workaround which is not the most convenient but will
> at least allow me to get done what I need to get done.
>
> best,
> /Gary
>
> ------------------------------

jorge-2 jorge-2

Re: copying text with formatting from a web page

Good morning Gary and all:

        I'm not sure if this following words are of topic...excuse me if
yes ! :

        I don't remember knowing about .mht file format to save web site pages.
But when I need to do that I use .html file format that give us a only
one file of the web page with all sourse of it as links for example.

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

El vie, 16-10-2015 a las 08:42 +0000, Gary Collins escribió:

> Tom,
> That's a good suggestion, perhaps I should have thought of it. I will give it a go. In general, I use MS because it has been the only one I know capable of handling .mht files, and I save web pages using that format because I find it *much* more convenient to have the page saved in a single file, rather than as a file plus a folder. Perhaps other browsers can now open these files now? I don't know, I haven't got around to checking recently. You know how it is, you find something that works for you and just stick with it - kind of inertia.
> I had a reply privately from Brian, though, which suggested that it might be due to the type of formatting used in the .css - using "vertical-align", and if so, that LO probably wouldn't recognise it. I checked the file in a text editor and that is indeed how the superscripting is generated in these pages.
> I have since found a workaround which is not the most convenient but will at least allow me to get done what I need to get done.
> best,/Gary

Atentamente,

Jorge Rodríguez

Next » 12