Problem in running make file on Ubuntu 16.04

Komal Bharadiya Komal Bharadiya

Problem in running make file on Ubuntu 16.04

Hii Team,
I have been trying to setup libreoffice dev-environment lately. After executing ./autogen.sh file, I hit make command. The execution takes ample amount of time. It hangs my laptop, and I end up switching it off. I have tried multiple no. of times. But couldn't run it successfully, what can I do? Please help!
I have Dell Vostro 3568 model.
Thanking you in anticipation!

Regards,
Komal

Mike Kaganski Mike Kaganski

Re: Problem in running make file on Ubuntu 16.04

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnLinux#Performance

> Building LibreOffice takes time, a lot of time. Exactly how much depends on how powerful your machine is

Several lines below, there's "Approximate times" section, telling
someone's experience with some unspecified repo revision, which took 1.5
hrs. I can tell you that I used to have ~8 hrs build time on Kaveri 7700
box with spinning HDD.

You should expect long build times on your laptop. But if you also are
going to do other tasks on it during the build (to increase build times
even more), then you may adjust it using --with-parallelism (discussed
there), which defaults to use all your cores, but which you could want
to set to a lower value to free some resources; or you may run make
using nice (`nice make`) to decrease its priority and make system
responsive to interaction without sacrificing cores.

Mike Kaganski
Komal Bharadiya Komal Bharadiya

Re: Problem in running make file on Ubuntu 16.04

Thanks, I'll check it out.