Problem installing extension

Graham Luffrum Graham Luffrum

Problem installing extension

I recently updated LO to Version 4.2.4.2 (Build 420m0(Build:2)) from the
Linux Mint repositories (I am using Linux Mint 17) and tried installing a
new extension. The installation did not complete and I got the error message

"ImplementationRegistration::registerImplementation() - The service
com.sun.star.loader.Python cannot be instantiated".

The extension is a French dictionary. On trying an Italian dictionary I had
no problem. I also tried installing the French dictionary extension from
AOO, but got the same error message. I have tried renaming my user profile,
but that made no difference.

Has LO 4.2.4.2 got something against the French language or is the problem
somewhere else?  Any hints would be welcome.

Graham

TomD TomD

Re: Problem installing extension

Hi :)
Sorry no response earlier!  Were you able to fix this?

I think the best plan might have been to
*  post a bug-report
*  ask the L10n mailing list (international coordination for translators of
all languages) and/or the French Users List to see if others had the same
problem

It's generally best to do at least 2 of those sorts of options so that
other people do hear of the problem and may do something to follow-up so
that it's got more chance of being fixed in a future release.

On 26 June 2014 09:25, Graham Luffrum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I recently updated LO to Version 4.2.4.2 (Build 420m0(Build:2)) from the
> Linux Mint repositories (I am using Linux Mint 17) and tried installing a
> new extension. The installation did not complete and I got the error
> message
>
> "ImplementationRegistration::registerImplementation() - The service
> com.sun.star.loader.Python cannot be instantiated".
>
> The extension is a French dictionary. On trying an Italian dictionary I had
> no problem. I also tried installing the French dictionary extension from
> AOO, but got the same error message. I have tried renaming my user profile,
> but that made no difference.
>
> Has LO 4.2.4.2 got something against the French language or is the problem
> somewhere else?  Any hints would be welcome.
>
> Graham

Graham Luffrum Graham Luffrum

Re: Problem installing extension

In the end I solved the problem using the sledgehammer approach, i.e. by
completely removing LO (version 4.2.4 from the Linux Mint repository) from
my laptop and then installing 4.2.5.2 from the LO website.  Given nobody
else seemed to have encountered the same problem, I assumed that I had done
something stupid and hence brought out the sledgehammer.

Thanks anyway,

Graham

TomD TomD

Re: Problem installing extension

Hi :)
Probably not something stupid but things do go a bit funny from time to
time.

Even if it was user-error it's not necessarily that you did something that
thousands or millions of others haven't done countless times.  No need to
beat yourself up about it.  The main thing is that you fixed it, so
congrats for that.

Also sometimes we find a problem suddenly appears that has never happened
before but that suddenly happens to several users for no readily apparent
reason and then suddenly stops happening just as mysteriously.

These problems are far from unique to LO.  I've seen it happen to loads of
different software.  My fav was installing Sage to around 10 machines for a
training session and despite doing the same thing each time the 7th decided
to install into the wastebin rather than "Program Files".  [shrugs]

Congrats and regards from
Tom :)

On 3 July 2014 08:57, Graham Luffrum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the end I solved the problem using the sledgehammer approach, i.e. by
> completely removing LO (version 4.2.4 from the Linux Mint repository) from
> my laptop and then installing 4.2.5.2 from the LO website.  Given nobody
> else seemed to have encountered the same problem, I assumed that I had done
> something stupid and hence brought out the sledgehammer.
>
> Thanks anyway,
>
> Graham
>

> On 1 July 2014 16:25, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi :)
>> Sorry no response earlier!  Were you able to fix this?
>>
>> I think the best plan might have been to
>> *  post a bug-report
>> *  ask the L10n mailing list (international coordination for translators
>> of all languages) and/or the French Users List to see if others had the
>> same problem
>>
>> It's generally best to do at least 2 of those sorts of options so that
>> other people do hear of the problem and may do something to follow-up so
>> that it's got more chance of being fixed in a future release.
>> Regards from
>> Tom :)
>>

>> On 26 June 2014 09:25, Graham Luffrum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I recently updated LO to Version 4.2.4.2 (Build 420m0(Build:2)) from the
>>> Linux Mint repositories (I am using Linux Mint 17) and tried installing a
>>> new extension. The installation did not complete and I got the error
>>> message
>>>
>>> "ImplementationRegistration::registerImplementation() - The service
>>> com.sun.star.loader.Python cannot be instantiated".
>>>
>>> The extension is a French dictionary. On trying an Italian dictionary I
>>> had
>>> no problem. I also tried installing the French dictionary extension from
>>> AOO, but got the same error message. I have tried renaming my user
>>> profile,
>>> but that made no difference.
>>>
>>> Has LO 4.2.4.2 got something against the French language or is the
>>> problem
>>> somewhere else?  Any hints would be welcome.
>>>
>>> Graham
>>>
>>> --
>>> deleted

Graham Luffrum Graham Luffrum

Re: Problem installing extension

Just for completeness I give below the text of a message I recently
received concerning my original problem.

Graham

"Hi,

Sorry, I know it was 2 yeas ago but today, I had the same problem as you
with the installation of a french dictionnary on my libreoffice. Just to
let you know the solution :

sudo apt-get install python3-uno

I don't remember how to post on NG. If you can post the solution, i'm
pretty sure it will help someone one day :)

Regards (et bonne journée si tu parles Français ;) )

Sam"