Problems while trying to reinstall LO 3.4.3

JW JW

Problems while trying to reinstall LO 3.4.3

Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit Home edition

Previously I had LibreOffice 3.4.3 installed on my computer, but uninstalled
it when I was not able to get the Synonyms in Write  to work the way in did
in version 3.4.2.

I wanted to go back and re-install version 3.4.2 - but have not been able to
locate the installation files.

So I concluded I would have to re-install 3.4.3. However, now when I try to
install either version 3.4.3  I get the error "The feature you are trying to
use is on a network resource that is unavailable, /click OK to try again, or
enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package
"libreoffice34.msi" in the box below.

The box below - does contain the specific path to this file and even if do
an installation from a different drive/folder - I get the same error.

If I hit OK - I then get the following error:

The file "the installation drive/folder" is not a valid installation package
for the product LibreOffice 3.4. Try to find the installation package
"libreoffice34.msi" in a folder from which you can install LibreOffice 3.4.

The file and folder being used is on my "C" drive and this is not problem
accessing files on the drive or folder.

Note: If I cancel the installation - I get: Error 1714. The older version of
libreOffice 3.4 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.

Because of this problem - I have had to use OpenOffice, but would prefer to
use LibreOffice.

Why would I be getting this error and how can it be fixed?

Tom Tom

Re: Problems while trying to reinstall LO 3.4.3

Hi :)
You might need to delete or re-name LibreOffice's user profile
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\libreoffice\3\user

You can probably just use your normal file-browser to navigate to the folder and delete it before trying to re-install LO (again).  I tend to create a copy of the  "3" folder to back-up the settings, galleries and extensions etc.  Instead of re-installing i just rename the 3 folder so that LO is forced to generate a new one.  That usually gets LO "back to factory defaults".  Your situation is a bit different tho.

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

RE: Problems while trying to reinstall LO 3.4.3

Had a similar experience with Windows 7 64-bit, at LO 3.3.2 --> 3.4.0
and then again recently 3.4.2 --> 3.4.3

Found I simply needed to reboot following the uninstall, and then
install.

JW JW

Re: Problems while trying to reinstall LO 3.4.3

Unfortunately, after deleting the C:\Users\<user
name>\AppData\Roaming\libreoffice\3\user the problem still exists.

For some unknown reason, LO3.4.3 still thinks there is a version of the
program still installed on my desktop - even though there isn't. I also
noticed that apparently when I previously uninstalled LO3.4.3 - it did not
do it properly since the program is still listed in my Control Panel.
However, if I try to uninstall via the Control Panel, it tells me
LibreOffice34.msi does not exist - therefore will not uninstall the program.

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Tom Davies <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi :)
> You might need to delete or re-name LibreOffice's user profile
> C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\libreoffice\3\user
>
> You can probably just use your normal file-browser to navigate to the
> folder and delete it before trying to re-install LO (again).  I tend to
> create a copy of the  "3" folder to back-up the settings, galleries and
> extensions etc.  Instead of re-installing i just rename the 3 folder so that
> LO is forced to generate a new one.  That usually gets LO "back to factory
> defaults".  Your situation is a bit different tho.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)

JW JW

Re: Problems while trying to reinstall LO 3.4.3

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that did not help either.

I have also checked the /Program Files(x86), the appdata folder, Windows
Registry Editor, etc and have no found any trace of the previous
installation. Yet, If I try to install either LO 3.4.3 or 3.3.4 - they think
the old installation is there.

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 1:01 PM, V Stuart Foote <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Had a similar experience with Windows 7 64-bit, at LO 3.3.2 --> 3.4.0
> and then again recently 3.4.2 --> 3.4.3
>
> Found I simply needed to reboot following the uninstall, and then
> install.

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Re: Problems while trying to reinstall LO 3.4.3

You do not even tell us your OS, so it must be Windows.
This is no typical Windows software. You can install the same download
over and over again without changing anything since LibO hardly makes
use of the registry. In fact it runs perfectly well without a single
registry entry.

The most likely cause of your problem might be that LibreOffice imports
existing user settings from an OOo user profile. Shut down the office
(mind the "quick-starter", better turn it off), rename a certain
directory and start again:

All about user profiles in OOo:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
(applies to LibO, Firefox, Thunderbird likewise).

JW JW

Re: Problems while trying to reinstall LO 3.4.3

Actually, in my original message - and I do not know why that part no longer
shows  - I clearly state this is Windows 7 - 64 bit - Home edition.

This problem originated way before OpenOffice was installed.  -  Openoffice
was installed only as a temporary workaround. Thus closing OO and shutting
off the Quick starter program has no effect. In regards to "rename a certain
directory" - I have no idea what directory you are referencing.

Tanstaafl Tanstaafl

On 2011-09-15 1:16 PM, Jonathon Waterman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Unfortunately, after deleting the C:\Users\<user
> name>\AppData\Roaming\libreoffice\3\user the problem still exists.

Delete the whole libreoffice diretory:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\libreoffice\

as well as anything *for libreoffice* under the Local directory:

C:\Users\<username>\Local\*

NOT, repeat, NOT the entire Local directory, just any directory for
libreoffice (dunno if there even is one, haven't moved to Win7 yet)...

Am 15.09.2011 20:27, Jonathon Waterman wrote:
> Actually, in my original message - and I do not know why that part no longer
> shows  - I clearly state this is Windows 7 - 64 bit - Home edition.
>

> This problem originated way before OpenOffice was installed.  -  Openoffice
> was installed only as a temporary workaround. Thus closing OO and shutting
> off the Quick starter program has no effect. In regards to "rename a certain
> directory" - I have no idea what directory you are referencing.

I'm referencing to the link:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
All settings, extensions, templates, dictionaries, auto text, macros and
much more is stored in a specific directory. 99% of all unspecific
problems are due to a corrupted user profile.

JW JW

Re: Problems while trying to reinstall LO 3.4.3

I just once again verified that the User profile, all folders, and
everything else  that could be identified as possibly connected to
Libreoffice has been deleted. Yet, the installation still thinks a version
of LO 3.4.3 is installed.

I am starting to think that I may have to wait until LO 3.4.4 comes
out.inorder to resolve the problem.

:-)

NoOp NoOp

On 09/15/2011 07:41 AM, Jonathon Waterman wrote:

> Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
>
> Previously I had LibreOffice 3.4.3 installed on my computer, but uninstalled
> it when I was not able to get the Synonyms in Write  to work the way in did
> in version 3.4.2.
>
> I wanted to go back and re-install version 3.4.2 - but have not been able to
> locate the installation files.
>
> So I concluded I would have to re-install 3.4.3. However, now when I try to
> install either version 3.4.3  I get the error "The feature you are trying to
> use is on a network resource that is unavailable, /click OK to try again, or
> enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package
> "libreoffice34.msi" in the box below.
>
> The box below - does contain the specific path to this file and even if do
> an installation from a different drive/folder - I get the same error.

The error that you are getting isn't specific to LO, see:
<http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=%22The+feature+you+are+trying+to+use+is+on+a+network+resource+that+is+unavailable%2C+%2Fclick+OK+to+try+again%2C+or+enter+an+alternate+path+to+a+folder+containing+the+installation+package+%22libreoffice34.msi%22&pbx=1&oq=%22The+feature+you+are+trying+to+use+is+on+a+network+resource+that+is+unavailable%2C+%2Fclick+OK+to+try+again%2C+or+enter+an+alternate+path+to+a+folder+containing+the+installation+package+%22libreoffice34.msi%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=11742700l11742700l1l11742935l1l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=d5bc1e92224c5138&biw=1280&bih=741>

> If I hit OK - I then get the following error:
>
> The file "the installation drive/folder" is not a valid installation package
> for the product LibreOffice 3.4. Try to find the installation package
> "libreoffice34.msi" in a folder from which you can install LibreOffice 3.4.
>
> The file and folder being used is on my "C" drive and this is not problem
> accessing files on the drive or folder.
>
> Note: If I cancel the installation - I get: Error 1714. The older version of
> libreOffice 3.4 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.

Download 3.4.2 from here:
<http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/stable/3.4.2/win/x86/>
[LibO_3.4.2_Win_x86_install_multi.exe]
<http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/stable/3.4.2/win/x86/LibO_3.4.2_Win_x86_install_multi.exe>

Reinstall (ensure quickstarter is off for OOo), and then uninstall using
the Control Panel.

> Because of this problem - I have had to use OpenOffice, but would prefer to
> use LibreOffice.
>
> Why would I be getting this error and how can it be fixed?

You are getting the error because 3.4.2 didn't get uninstalled properly.

Tim Casey Tim Casey

Re: Problems while trying to reinstall LO 3.4.3

my os is kubuntu 11.04

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Andreas Säger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> You do not even tell us your OS, so it must be Windows.
> This is no typical Windows software. You can install the same download over
> and over again without changing anything since LibO hardly makes use of the
> registry. In fact it runs perfectly well without a single registry entry.
>
> The most likely cause of your problem might be that LibreOffice imports
> existing user settings from an OOo user profile. Shut down the office (mind
> the "quick-starter", better turn it off), rename a certain directory and
> start again:
>
> All about user profiles in OOo:
> http://user.services.**openoffice.org/en/forum/**
> viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426<http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426>(applies to LibO, Firefox, Thunderbird likewise).

For all who call upon the name of the Lord Shall be saved.Romans 10:13

Tom Tom

Re: Problems while trying to reinstall LO 3.4.3

This link might help
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel
It's normally for installing multiple versions of LibreOffice but it might help here.
JW JW

Re: Problems while trying to reinstall LO 3.4.3

You are correct. However, the Cleanup utility this hyperlink refers to is no
longer available - and of course, MS support states that its up to the
manufacture of each application to resolve this type of problem.

Tom Tom

Re: Problems while trying to reinstall LO 3.4.3

Hi :)
Earl found an excellent tool for this sort of thing i think
"
an excellent free replacement and far superior to MS' Add/Remove,
IMO. You can download it at the link below and install just like any other app.
After clicking the link, be careful to not choose the 30-day free trial of the
"Pro" version -- you don't really need it..well, unless you're needing to put
your wallet on a diet. :-)  Instead, scroll to the bottom of the page and click
on the FREE download button. Works great on Win-XP and Vista. If your OS is
otherwise, check requirements at the link before downloading. HTH!

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

 --
I'm so busy, I don't know whether I found a rope or lost my horse!
 <>< Earl

Does that look likely to help or is it the same thing that has already been tried?

NoOp NoOp

On 09/15/2011 01:20 PM, Jonathon Waterman wrote:
> You are correct. However, the Cleanup utility this hyperlink refers to is no
> longer available - and of course, MS support states that its up to the
> manufacture of each application to resolve this type of problem.

My point was that it also happens with other programs as well. Please
try reinstalling & then uninstalling 3.4.2 from the download link that I
provided you with.

> [...]
>> >
>> > Note: If I cancel the installation - I get: Error 1714. The older version
>> of
>> > libreOffice 3.4 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.
>>
>> Download 3.4.2 from here:
>> <
>> http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/stable/3.4.2/win/x86/
>> >
>> [LibO_3.4.2_Win_x86_install_multi.exe]
>> <
>> http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/stable/3.4.2/win/x86/LibO_3.4.2_Win_x86_install_multi.exe
>> >

>> Reinstall (ensure quickstarter is off for OOo), and then uninstall using
>> the Control Panel.
>>

>> > Because of this problem - I have had to use OpenOffice, but would prefer
>> > use LibreOffice.
>> >
>> > Why would I be getting this error and how can it be fixed?
>> >

>> You are getting the error because 3.4.2 didn't get uninstalled properly.

JW JW

Re: Problems while trying to reinstall LO 3.4.3

*That's it!*  The freeware version of the Revo Uninstaller program was the
solution. After installing and running it, I re-downloaded LibreOffice 3.4.3
and was able to successfully install it.

Thanks all - for your help. :-)

Tom Tom

Re: Problems while trying to reinstall LO 3.4.3

Hi :)
Blimey, that was fast!  Nicely done!  [Tips hat to Earl]
Congrats and regards from
Tom :)

NoOp NoOp

On 09/15/2011 01:53 PM, Jonathon Waterman wrote:
> *That's it!*  The freeware version of the Revo Uninstaller program
> was the solution. After installing and running it, I re-downloaded
> LibreOffice 3.4.3 and was able to successfully install it.

Glad you got it sorted out. But the bottom line is that you failed to
uninstall LO 3.4.2 correctly in the first place.

Tom Tom

Re: Problems while trying to reinstall LO 3.4.3

Hi :)
It's Windows.  Most programs have problems with their un-installers at some point, hence the plethora of tools to deal with the aftermath.