Prompt On Replace

arakish arakish

Prompt On Replace

In the "Find and Replace" dialogue box, why is there no option for "Prompt On
Replace" as there is in all other word processor programs?

rmfr

remygauthier remygauthier

Re: Prompt On Replace

Hello,

I am not sure I understand your question. However, when you open the
Find and Replace panel, there are a "Find Next", "Find Previous" and
"Replace" buttons that enable you to locate the next instance of the
string to replace (or the previous); if you hit "Replace" at that
point, the replace operation will be performed and you will be taken to
the next instance of the string to replace. At that point, the
operation will pause, waiting for your input.

I hope this helps.

Rémy.

Le vendredi 07 septembre 2018 à 10:02 -0700, arakish a écrit :

> In the "Find and Replace" dialogue box, why is there no option for "Prompt On
> Replace" as there is in all other word processor programs?
>
> rmfr
>

> --
> Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Users-f1639498.html

Ianseeks-2 Ianseeks-2

Re: Prompt On Replace

On Saturday, 8 September 2018 01:14:35 BST Remy Gauthier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am not sure I understand your question. However, when you open the
> Find and Replace panel, there are a "Find Next", "Find Previous" and
> "Replace" buttons that enable you to locate the next instance of the
> string to replace (or the previous); if you hit "Replace" at that
> point, the replace operation will be performed and you will be taken to
> the next instance of the string to replace. At that point, the
> operation will pause, waiting for your input.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Rémy.

He wants LO to prompt the user to Replace/Ignore for every occurrence of a find rather replace everything without a choice.

> Le vendredi 07 septembre 2018 à 10:02 -0700, arakish a écrit :
> > In the "Find and Replace" dialogue box, why is there no option for "Prompt On
> > Replace" as there is in all other word processor programs?
> >
> > rmfr
> >

> > --
> > Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Users-f1639498.html

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20180905
Qt: 5.11.1 KDE Frameworks: 5.49.0 - KDE Plasma:  5.13.4 - kwin 5.13.4

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: Prompt On Replace

On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 10:15:13 +0100
Ianseeks <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Saturday, 8 September 2018 01:14:35 BST Remy Gauthier wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am not sure I understand your question. However, when you open the
> > Find and Replace panel, there are a "Find Next", "Find Previous" and
> > "Replace" buttons that enable you to locate the next instance of the
> > string to replace (or the previous); if you hit "Replace" at that
> > point, the replace operation will be performed and you will be
> > taken to the next instance of the string to replace. At that point,
> > the operation will pause, waiting for your input.
> >
> > I hope this helps.
> >
> > Rémy.
>
> He wants LO to prompt the user to Replace/Ignore for every occurrence
> of a find rather replace everything without a choice.

That's what Remy just described, and what LO offers.

> > Le vendredi 07 septembre 2018 à 10:02 -0700, arakish a écrit :
> > > In the "Find and Replace" dialogue box, why is there no option
> > > for "Prompt On Replace" as there is in all other word processor
> > > programs?

Ianseeks-2 Ianseeks-2

Re: Prompt On Replace

On Saturday, 8 September 2018 11:12:19 BST Dave Howorth wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 10:15:13 +0100
> Ianseeks <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, 8 September 2018 01:14:35 BST Remy Gauthier wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am not sure I understand your question. However, when you open the
> > > Find and Replace panel, there are a "Find Next", "Find Previous" and
> > > "Replace" buttons that enable you to locate the next instance of the
> > > string to replace (or the previous); if you hit "Replace" at that
> > > point, the replace operation will be performed and you will be
> > > taken to the next instance of the string to replace. At that point,
> > > the operation will pause, waiting for your input.
> > >
> > > I hope this helps.
> > >
> > > Rémy.
> >
> > He wants LO to prompt the user to Replace/Ignore for every occurrence
> > of a find rather replace everything without a choice.
>
> That's what Remy just described, and what LO offers.

Yes, its not obvious from the dialog that you need to press Find then Replace (or Replace twice) to execute the replace. I was just responding to Remy's question to clarify

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20180905
Qt: 5.11.1 KDE Frameworks: 5.49.0 - KDE Plasma:  5.13.4 - kwin 5.13.4
kmail2 5.9.0 - akonadiserver 5.9.0 - Kernel:  4.18.5-1-default  - xf86-video-nouveau:  1.0.15

arakish arakish

Re: Prompt On Replace

Guess I should have elaborated.

There is also a button for "Replace All"

However, there is no check box for "Prompt on Replace"

All other word processors have this feature.  Only LibreOffice does not.
Don't know about Open Office since I have not used it since LibreOffice 2.x.

I even use a text editor called HTML-Kit that is about 20 years old that
offers the "Prompt on Replace" feature.

Basically, it allows me to "Replace All" but a few occurrences.  Say I have
a 50 page document and want to replace a certain word that I know occurs 50
times.  However, there may be about 5 occurrences I do not want to replace.
It is easier to click the "Replace All" button with the "Prompt on Replace"
checkbox checked.  Then as it goes through and finds the word, it stops,
prompting on whether to complete the "replace."

Clarified enough?

rmfr

Krunose Krunose

Re: Prompt On Replace

09.09.2018 u 04:59, arakish je napisao/la:

> Guess I should have elaborated.
>
> There is also a button for "Replace All"
>
> However, there is no check box for "Prompt on Replace"
>
> All other word processors have this feature.  Only LibreOffice does not.
> Don't know about Open Office since I have not used it since LibreOffice 2.x.
>
> I even use a text editor called HTML-Kit that is about 20 years old that
> offers the "Prompt on Replace" feature.
>
> Basically, it allows me to "Replace All" but a few occurrences.  Say I have
> a 50 page document and want to replace a certain word that I know occurs 50
> times.  However, there may be about 5 occurrences I do not want to replace.
> It is easier to click the "Replace All" button with the "Prompt on Replace"
> checkbox checked.  Then as it goes through and finds the word, it stops,
> prompting on whether to complete the "replace."
>
> Clarified enough?
>
> rmfr
>

> --
> Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Users-f1639498.html

I guess that would require you to click OK on every occurrence which
might be cumbersome. Maybe LO should offer a list of all occurrences i
in pop-up where every occurrence would be checked and one could skim
trough list and un-check those few you don't need. Such list should have
some context to like page number or line number and maybe holding whole
sentence with highlighted part in question. Don't know, just thinking on
load.

Kruno

Ianseeks-2 Ianseeks-2

Re: Prompt On Replace