Proposal to disable Planet TDF Twitter feed

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Proposal to disable Planet TDF Twitter feed

Hello,

we have our TDF Planet at https://planet.documentfoundation.org that
offers several blog feeds at one convenient place. It allows for easy
access and gives a good overview of what's going on, to stay up to date
on things that happen around LibreOffice and TDF at large.

A summary of this is posted at the @PlanetTDF Twitter feed. That Twitter
feed has been repeatedly subject of some irritation. Not all blog
postings are featured due to the sheer amount of them and e.g. sometimes
authors by accident chose the wrong category and then the posting gets
featured by mistake. While we can correct this easily on our own Planet,
when things are on social media, there's more interaction.

As the Planet's main purpose is to combine content on the website and
its respective RSS feed and at the same time we feature relevant
postings and activities on our main TDF and LibreOffice channels, we've
repeatedly received the proposal to disable the @PlanetTDF Twitter feed
altogether. It simply serves no purpose on its own, but just duplicates
content that was duplicated before already. ;-)

I like the idea and support the proposal.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Florian

Italo Vignoli-6 Italo Vignoli-6

Re: Proposal to disable Planet TDF Twitter feed

> Hello,
>
> we have our TDF Planet at https://planet.documentfoundation.org that
> offers several blog feeds at one convenient place. It allows for easy
> access and gives a good overview of what's going on, to stay up to date
> on things that happen around LibreOffice and TDF at large.
>
> A summary of this is posted at the @PlanetTDF Twitter feed. That Twitter
> feed has been repeatedly subject of some irritation. Not all blog
> postings are featured due to the sheer amount of them and e.g. sometimes
> authors by accident chose the wrong category and then the posting gets
> featured by mistake. While we can correct this easily on our own Planet,
> when things are on social media, there's more interaction.
>
> As the Planet's main purpose is to combine content on the website and
> its respective RSS feed and at the same time we feature relevant
> postings and activities on our main TDF and LibreOffice channels, we've
> repeatedly received the proposal to disable the @PlanetTDF Twitter feed
> altogether. It simply serves no purpose on its own, but just duplicates
> content that was duplicated before already. ;-)
>
> I like the idea and support the proposal.
> Any thoughts on this?

+1

mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - email [hidden email]
hangout/jabber [hidden email] - skype italovignoli
GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0

Brett Cornwall-2 Brett Cornwall-2

On 2019-10-14 11:50, Florian Effenberger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we have our TDF Planet at https://planet.documentfoundation.org that offers
> several blog feeds at one convenient place. It allows for easy access and
> gives a good overview of what's going on, to stay up to date on things that
> happen around LibreOffice and TDF at large.
>
> A summary of this is posted at the @PlanetTDF Twitter feed. That Twitter
> feed has been repeatedly subject of some irritation. Not all blog postings
> are featured due to the sheer amount of them and e.g. sometimes authors by
> accident chose the wrong category and then the posting gets featured by
> mistake. While we can correct this easily on our own Planet, when things are
> on social media, there's more interaction.
>
> As the Planet's main purpose is to combine content on the website and its
> respective RSS feed and at the same time we feature relevant postings and
> activities on our main TDF and LibreOffice channels, we've repeatedly
> received the proposal to disable the @PlanetTDF Twitter feed altogether. It
> simply serves no purpose on its own, but just duplicates content that was
> duplicated before already. ;-)
>
> I like the idea and support the proposal.
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> Thanks,
> Florian

I imagine it would make sense to do the same to the Mastadon account.
There's not much in the way of sharing/likes on either of those accounts
so it makes sense in my humble opinion.

Perhaps those accounts could be repurposed for what Twitter is best for
- Drumming up anger and misinformation on the internet: Did you know
  that the MS office team have a secret demon worship room?

Ilmari Lauhakangas Ilmari Lauhakangas

Brett Cornwall kirjoitti 15.10.2019 klo 7.18:

> On 2019-10-14 11:50, Florian Effenberger wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> we have our TDF Planet at https://planet.documentfoundation.org that
>> offers several blog feeds at one convenient place. It allows for easy
>> access and gives a good overview of what's going on, to stay up to
>> date on things that happen around LibreOffice and TDF at large.
>>
>> A summary of this is posted at the @PlanetTDF Twitter feed. That
>> Twitter feed has been repeatedly subject of some irritation. Not all
>> blog postings are featured due to the sheer amount of them and e.g.
>> sometimes authors by accident chose the wrong category and then the
>> posting gets featured by mistake. While we can correct this easily on
>> our own Planet, when things are on social media, there's more
>> interaction.
>>
>> As the Planet's main purpose is to combine content on the website and
>> its respective RSS feed and at the same time we feature relevant
>> postings and activities on our main TDF and LibreOffice channels,
>> we've repeatedly received the proposal to disable the @PlanetTDF
>> Twitter feed altogether. It simply serves no purpose on its own, but
>> just duplicates content that was duplicated before already. ;-)
>>
>> I like the idea and support the proposal.
>> Any thoughts on this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Florian
>
> I imagine it would make sense to do the same to the Mastadon account.
> There's not much in the way of sharing/likes on either of those accounts
> so it makes sense in my humble opinion.

We don't feed the Planet posts automatically to Mastodon, though. The
posts there are curated, just like on the Twitter account @libreoffice.
The Mastodon account has roughly the same amount of followers as
r/libreoffice sub-reddit has subscribers, so I don't think it's that bad.

For reference:
https://fosstodon.org/@libreoffice
https://twitter.com/libreoffice
https://twitter.com/PlanetTDF

Ilmari

Brett Cornwall wrote:

> I imagine it would make sense to do the same to the Mastadon account.
> There's not much in the way of sharing/likes on either of those accounts
> so it makes sense in my humble opinion.

I can't make an educated guess on that, not been doing much with
Mastodon - I'd love to hear some thoughts on that indeed.

Wrt. the Twitter Planet, I saw only supportive messages, so I will
disable the account for now.

Thanks!
Florian