Proposed change to Developers/Developer page on our wiki

jan iversen jan iversen

Proposed change to Developers/Developer page on our wiki

Hi

I have been thinking heavely about expanding the table with a column "LO relation" and add values like
- contributor
- committer
- board

The upside is, that is makes it easier to see what karma people have, the downside is that it creates a sort of grouping, which is kind of unwanted.

I would like to have the change, but I really think this should not be done without consensus.

Please let me hear what you think ?

rgds
jan i.

Ps. Maintenance is low, and will be done be myself, so that is not a valid argument.

Sent from my iPad, please excuse any misspellings
Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

Re: Proposed change to Developers/Developer page on our wiki

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 03:00:44PM +0100, jan iversen wrote:
> The upside is, that is makes it easier to see what karma people have, the
> downside is that it creates a sort of grouping, which is kind of unwanted.

Right, thats a big negative.

> Please let me hear what you think ?

I dont think it to be an improvement a/ for the reasons you named and b/
because I dont imagine that list to be used much at all beyond for the license
statement and rarely maybe a IRC nick to git name mapping.

So, Id suggest to keep that (huge) table as is.

Best,

Bjoern
Chris Sherlock Chris Sherlock

Re: Proposed change to Developers/Developer page on our wiki

> On 16 Jan 2016, at 1:49 AM, Bjoern Michaelsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 03:00:44PM +0100, jan iversen wrote:
>> The upside is, that is makes it easier to see what karma people have, the
>> downside is that it creates a sort of grouping, which is kind of unwanted.
>
> Right, thats a big negative.
>
>> Please let me hear what you think ?
>
> I dont think it to be an improvement a/ for the reasons you named and b/
> because I dont imagine that list to be used much at all beyond for the license
> statement and rarely maybe a IRC nick to git name mapping.
>
> So, Id suggest to keep that (huge) table as is.
>
> Best,
>
> Bjoern

In a real sense, karma is a negative. On a discussion forum like Hacker News it can be helpful, but even there they discourage it. It certainly encourages gamesmanship, and that’s very bad for a merit based project.

I used to be very involved in Wikipedia (I invented [citation needed] and their admin’s noticeboard) and so I am speaking from experience.

It’s nice to know the number of commits that have been made, but an artificial grouping is not only unimportant, but can causing serious friction between contributors.

Chris