[Q] Best Route from Munich to Milan for LibOCon

jihui.choi jihui.choi

[Q] Best Route from Munich to Milan for LibOCon

Hello, all.

First of all, I have to say sorry for posting on wrong list. I couldn't
guess which list is the best for my questions.
If anyone knows, please forward this to there.

Q1. Best place to visit for LibreOffice in Munich?
Q2. Best Route from Munich to Milan for Libreoffice?
Q3. Best Route from Munich to Milan for a tour?

Story.
I'm going to visit Milan via Munich from 18th to 28th, Sep. Of course for
LibOCon and for my vacation.
I'm very interested in Europe history and other great places, but in this
time, I want to concentrate to Libreoffice.
My flight will arrive 20:00, 18th, Sep in Munich and I want to join L10n
meeting in 24th, Milan. Thus I have free time
for 5 days from 19th to 23th. This is my first time to visit Europe and I
can't speak German nor Italian. Just barely speak English.

Q1. Best place to visit for LibreOffice in Munich?
Munich is the one of famous city with LibreOffice. Is there any office to
visit or to get infos about migration story to libreoffice(openoffice)?
I'm thinking to persuade our government(South Korea, especially Seoul city)
to migrate to Libreoffice, maybe in next year.
For that, I collected some infos, but not much. If I could get the whole
story or the detail plan of Munich case, it would be great for me.

Q2. Best Route from Munich to Milan for Libreoffice?
Please let me know if there is good places or cities which I must visit
like Munich.

Q3. Best Route from Munich to Milan for a tour?
I'm thinking to visit Zurich for tour if there's no place for libreoffice.
Munich - Bregenz - Zurich - (Genava) - Milan. please recommend the best
route to me.

At this moment, only thing I have is my flight ticket. no info, no plan yet.
Any suggestion will be welcome. Thank you.

Jihui Choi

Tom Tom

Re: [Q] Best Route from Munich to Milan for LibOCon

Hi :)
I think this is the right list because people here are aware of the event and what is going on and may be heading the same direction too so they might know.

Sounds quite impressively brave!
Good luck with all this!

________________________________

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: [Q] Best Route from Munich to Milan for LibOCon

Hello Jihui !

Jihui Choi wrote (27-08-13 20:23)

> First of all, I have to say sorry for posting on wrong list. I couldn't
> guess which list is the best for my questions.

No need to say sorry :)
For the conferences, there is [hidden email]

> Q1. Best place to visit for LibreOffice in Munich?
> Q2. Best Route from Munich to Milan for Libreoffice?
> Q3. Best Route from Munich to Milan for a tour?
>

> Story.
> [...]

Interesting visit what you are planning. Definitely lots to see, and
handy to plan in advance!

There must be quite some open source / Linux groups around Munich.
Some members of them reading this list, probably ??
I think it is best to see if they have any program or meeting place. And
try to contact people via their list.

Did you see information on the Munich migration already via the www ?

For Milan: I'll arrive there somewhere on Monday and leave Friday early.
Good to try to meet on Monday / Tuesday already?
Though planning/learning a full story to convince organisations to
migrate is not an easy thing, I hope I can help with some experience /
info from my little country The Netherlands.

Kind regards,
look forward meeting you!

Cor

--
  - Cor Nouws
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org

Christian Lohmaier-2 Christian Lohmaier-2

Re: [Q] Best Route from Munich to Milan for LibOCon

Hi Jihui Choi, *,

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Jihui Choi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Q1. Best place to visit for LibreOffice in Munich?

The LiMux project did host the hackfest - LiMux project is about using
Linux (and also LibreOffice) in the public administration of Munich,
so I guess you should pay them a visit :-)
No need to speak German, most people can speak/understand basic
English in Germany.

short introduction with links to further info (mostly in german, but a
few presentations also available in english, also links to
press-coverage includes english articles):
http://www.muenchen.de/rathaus/Stadtverwaltung/Direktorium/LiMux.html
how to reach the project ([hidden email]):
http://www.muenchen.de/rathaus/Stadtverwaltung/Direktorium/LiMux/Kontakt.html

> Q2. Best Route from Munich to Milan for Libreoffice?

If the question was "how to get from Munich to Milan" - I could
suggest the CityNightLine train - that is reasonably priced (59 €
one-way) and you don't lose a day for travel (as you go over night,
means you can sleep) - but of course that is not suitable for stopping
by at other places. (last pickup station is Innsbruck and first
drop-off would be Verona in the middle of the night - so not the best
way for you :-))

South Tyrol has announced to migrate 7000 PCs in the public
administration to LibreOffice -
http://www.provinz.bz.it/lpa/285.asp?redas=yes&aktuelles_action=4&aktuelles_article_id=428953
(announcement in german)

Bozen (german name of the city)/Bolzano (italian name) would be on the
way (at least when traveling by train) - so worth a stop.

> Q3. Best Route from Munich to Milan for a tour?
> I'm thinking to visit Zurich for tour if there's no place for libreoffice.
> Munich - Bregenz - Zurich - (Genava) - Milan. please recommend the best
> route to me.

By train the route would usually be along those stops: Munich ->
Innsbruck -> Bozen -> Verona -> Milano

But I'm probably not good at recommending stuff, since when I was on
vacation, the route was straight to the ocean, no sight-seeing at all,
just relaxing and laying at the beach :-)

I personally tend to go via Austria and not take the detour via
Switzerland, but then again I live in Europe and so it is in easy
reach for me. Apart from passing through Switzerland a couple of times
(by car, i.e. that means you have to by the pass to use the highways -
pay for the whole year, although you are only on the road for two
days....) and hat the "luck" of a swiss
self-service-gasoline-dispenser eat a 20€ bill without giving us the
gasoline (apparently we missed to press the right button at the right
time, so all we got was a note to contact the owner during business
hours - not helpful when you only pass by) - I only stayed once in
Switzerland when doing a tour with friends from school in an old
Mercedes that we restored together - we got the worst value for money
there, so long story short: I'm biased, so don't listen to me :-)))

So as a tourist, I'd rather go to Venice and see that (only a day
trip, ok for sight-seeing, but not for staying there) and stop by in
Verona

Munich -> definitely some place in the Alps, in either Germany,
Austria, Switzerland, Italy -> Venice -> Verona -> Milan

Not knowing your requirements for hotels/comfort, etc. - but when you
don't mind youth hostels and sharing rooms with other people: There's
a nice youth hostel in Riva del Garda, very close to the lake with
very nice people (at least at the time I was staying there, but that
was quite a few years ago)

ciao
Christian