[Q] What is "new contributions" in License page?

jihui.choi jihui.choi

[Q] What is "new contributions" in License page?

Hello.
I'm translating libreoffice.org site to Korean.
For that I need to understand very clearly and exactly.

I have a question.

on http://www.libreoffice.org/download/license/,
"LibreOffice is licensed under the terms of the LGPLv3 (new
contributions are dual-licensed under both LGPLv3+ and MPL)."

Is anyone who explains what "new contributions" indicate exactly?
Is that "extension"? or everything out of LibO source?

JiHui Choi

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: [Q] What is "new contributions" in License page?

Hi Choi!

Jihui Choi wrote (27-04-12 03:21)

> on http://www.libreoffice.org/download/license/,
> "LibreOffice is licensed under the terms of the LGPLv3 (new
> contributions are dual-licensed under both LGPLv3+ and MPL)."
>
> Is anyone who explains what "new contributions" indicate exactly?
> Is that "extension"? or everything out of LibO source?

That is for new code committed to LibreOffice, visible here
   http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/log/?qt=grep&q=
LGPLv3 is for previously existing code.

  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org

jihui.choi jihui.choi

On 4/30/12, Cor Nouws <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That is for new code committed to LibreOffice, visible here
>    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/log/?qt=grep&q=
> LGPLv3 is for previously existing code.

Well, I can't understand clearly.
As my known LibO is under LGPLv3, that means it applys to all of
source except some extra extension things. But according to your
saying.. " previously existing code" of core is under LGPLv3 and new
code of core which is committed to LibO is under LGPLv3+MPL? Wait a
sec. now new code became a part of "existing code", then? which
license applys to that?

I'm really sorry, but what are "previously existing code" and "new
code"? I don't get it at all because there's no boundary something
like that. Well at one certain time, we can say, these are "existing
code" and those are not, not yet, they are still new. However later
those new ones became "old or existing" one. So they are not new
anymore.

would you explain this a little bit more?

JiHui Choi

italovignoli italovignoli

Jihui Choi wrote:

> I'm really sorry, but what are "previously existing code" and "new
> code"? I don't get it at all because there's no boundary something
> like that. Well at one certain time, we can say, these are "existing
> code" and those are not, not yet, they are still new. However later
> those new ones became "old or existing" one. So they are not new
> anymore.

"previously existing code" refers to Oracle copyrighted code, which is
LGPLv3

"new code" is the code developed since September 28, 2010, with double
license LGPLv3/MPL, by TDF developers

--
Italo Vignoli - [hidden email]
mob +39.348.5653829 - VoIP [hidden email]

Italo Vignoli
Director - The Document Foundation
jihui.choi jihui.choi

On 5/1/12, Italo Vignoli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> "previously existing code" refers to Oracle copyrighted code, which is
> LGPLv3
>
> "new code" is the code developed since September 28, 2010, with double
> license LGPLv3/MPL, by TDF developers

Wow awesome! What a clear answer is!
Thanks bro.

JiHui Choi