Quality Assurance

C. H. D. C. H. D.

Quality Assurance

Hi!

Recently, I started learning more about computer software. (I am new and I do not know too much about programming.)

I do not know how to rate the quality of the office application.

If I say this is good, I will expect that the document is displayed in the _same_ way, e.g. in the previous version and the next version and the subsequent version and the future versions.

I spent some time on doing (experimenting?) this. I searched the Internet and looked for OpenDocument files I can download. They are random (just searched by some random keywords).

I did:
LibreOffice 3
File -> Export as PDF -> PDF/A-1a -> Export

LibreOffice 4
File -> Export as PDF -> PDF/A-1a -> Export

There were tens of files. I used DiffPDF to compare the differences. If I notice a difference, I will report a bug.

Am I doing the right thing? (if I have the time and if I am so interested in improving computer software)

If I do the right thing, is it a good thing for other (Quality Assurance) people to volunteer? (if they have time and if they think that consistency is important in LibreOffice 3 and 4)

Regards,
C. H. D.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tom Tom

Re: Quality Assurance

Hi :)
I think there is a list for people working in QA
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-qa
and hopefully a section of the wiki.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA

Tbh i thought it was more about testing to see if the stated improvements and bug-fixes really worked and then as a side issue tried various existing features to check they hadn't been broken by the new code.  Sounds like you are putting too much work into testing just 1 aspect but that happens to be an aspect that many of us are particularly interested to see working properly.

So, good work chap! :)

>________________________________

Felmon Davis Felmon Davis

Re: Quality Assurance

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, C. H. D. wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Recently, I started learning more about computer software. (I am new
> and I do not know too much about programming.)
>
> I do not know how to rate the quality of the office application.
>
> If I say this is good, I will expect that the document is displayed
> in the _same_ way, e.g. in the previous version and the next version
> and the subsequent version and the future versions.
>
> I spent some time on doing (experimenting?) this. I searched the
> Internet and looked for OpenDocument files I can download. They are
> random (just searched by some random keywords).
>
> I did:
> LibreOffice 3
> File -> Export as PDF -> PDF/A-1a -> Export
>
> LibreOffice 4
> File -> Export as PDF -> PDF/A-1a -> Export
>
> There were tens of files. I used DiffPDF to compare the differences.
> If I notice a difference, I will report a bug.

[...]

do you report a bug about LO or a bug about DiffPDF?

F.

--
Felmon Davis

According to all the latest reports, there was no truth in any of the
earlier reports.

rjh rjh

hyperlinks screwed up

Hi

I thought I would show you via vid as it easier to explain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3XH5AO2jws&feature=youtu.be

I am 100% sure I have always worked in this order and it use to work
fine but as you can see when you type Max as a hyperlink ( in the max
sheet) and link to Student sheet it overwrites the original name Student
and replaces it with the Max hyper link?

Appreciate any help

Ross

rjh rjh

Re: hyperlinks screwed up

Sorry here is correct link
http://youtu.be/T3XH5AO2jws

On 16/01/13 10:19 AM, rjh wrote:

> Hi
>
> I thought I would show you via vid as it easier to explain
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3XH5AO2jws&feature=youtu.be
>

> I am 100% sure I have always worked in this order and it use to work
> fine but as you can see when you type Max as a hyperlink ( in the max
> sheet) and link to Student sheet it overwrites the original name
> Student and replaces it with the Max hyper link?
>
> Appreciate any help
>
> Ross

C. H. D. C. H. D.

Re: Quality Assurance

Hello!

Thanks for this idea. I report a bug related to LibreOffice.

I guess, there must be something different if DiffPDF says the two PDF files are different. (maybe visible in Document Viewer (Evince) or in Adobe Reader)

I look for that difference and report the bug accordingly.

Regards,
C. H. D.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

--- 2013年1月16日 星期三,Felmon Davis <[hidden email]> 寫道﹕

寄件人: Felmon Davis <[hidden email]>
主題: Re: [libreoffice-users] Quality Assurance
收件人: [hidden email]
日期: 2013年1月16日,星期三,上午7:13

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, C. H. D. wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Recently, I started learning more about computer software. (I am new and I do not know too much about programming.)
>
> I do not know how to rate the quality of the office application.
> If I say this is good, I will expect that the document is displayed in the _same_ way, e.g. in the previous version and the next version and the subsequent version and the future versions.
>
> I spent some time on doing (experimenting?) this. I searched the Internet and looked for OpenDocument files I can download. They are random (just searched by some random keywords).
>
> I did:
> LibreOffice 3
> File -> Export as PDF -> PDF/A-1a -> Export
>
> LibreOffice 4
> File -> Export as PDF -> PDF/A-1a -> Export
>
> There were tens of files. I used DiffPDF to compare the differences. If I notice a difference, I will report a bug.

[...]

do you report a bug about LO or a bug about DiffPDF?

F.

-- Felmon Davis

According to all the latest reports, there was no truth in any of the
earlier reports.

-- For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]

Felmon Davis Felmon Davis

Re: Quality Assurance

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, C. H. D. wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Thanks for this idea. I report a bug related to LibreOffice.
>
> I guess, there must be something different if DiffPDF says the two PDF files are different. (maybe visible in Document Viewer (Evince) or in Adobe Reader)
>
> I look for that difference and report the bug accordingly.

(to repeat the question) you are certain diffpdf is reliable?

F.

> Regards,
> C. H. D.
>

> _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
>

> --- 2013年1月16日 星期三,Felmon Davis <[hidden email]> 寫道﹕
>
> 寄件人: Felmon Davis <[hidden email]>
> 主題: Re: [libreoffice-users] Quality Assurance
> 收件人: [hidden email]
> 日期: 2013年1月16日,星期三,上午7:13
>
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, C. H. D. wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Recently, I started learning more about computer software. (I am new and I do not know too much about programming.)
>>
>> I do not know how to rate the quality of the office application.
>> If I say this is good, I will expect that the document is displayed in the _same_ way, e.g. in the previous version and the next version and the subsequent version and the future versions.
>>
>> I spent some time on doing (experimenting?) this. I searched the Internet and looked for OpenDocument files I can download. They are random (just searched by some random keywords).
>>
>> I did:
>> LibreOffice 3
>> File -> Export as PDF -> PDF/A-1a -> Export
>>
>> LibreOffice 4
>> File -> Export as PDF -> PDF/A-1a -> Export
>>
>> There were tens of files. I used DiffPDF to compare the differences. If I notice a difference, I will report a bug.
>
> [...]
>
> do you report a bug about LO or a bug about DiffPDF?
>
> F.
>
> -- Felmon Davis
>
> According to all the latest reports, there was no truth in any of the
> earlier reports.
>
> -- For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]

Felmon Davis

Love is the process of my leading you gently back to yourself.
  -- Saint Exupery
Tom Tom

Re: Quality Assurance

Hi :)
Do you know if it isn't?  I think it's a good idea to check the integrity of Pdfs that are output.  often we focus tooo much (imo) on the integrity of MS formats which will always look different on every machine.  People seem to be using Pdfs quite a lot more now and it would be nice to know that ones we create work properly, or at least consistently.

If specific potential problems can be pinned down then i think we are in a better position to have more confidence in our outputs.  Bear in mind that Pdf output is significantly better in LibreOffice than in MSO.  LO offers far more options and some of those improve accessibility (specifically better for screen-readers) and for uncompressed or more compressed output.  MSO offers freedom FROM choice.

>________________________________

Felmon Davis Felmon Davis

Re: Quality Assurance

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Do you know if it isn't?

no.

the conclusion?

I wouldn't assume I could depend on its results without further
investigation. that's why I asked the OP why this particular test
instrument.

>  I think it's a good idea to check the integrity of Pdfs that are
> output.

sure.

>  often we focus tooo much (imo) on the integrity of MS formats which
>will always look different on every machine.  People seem to be using
>Pdfs quite a lot more now and it would be nice to know that ones we
>create work properly, or at least consistently.

we also need to know our pdf readers work properly or at least
consistently.

F.

--
Felmon Davis

If there are epigrams, there must be meta-epigrams.
Tom Tom

Re: Quality Assurance

Hi :)
Testing Pdf readers is an SEP (=somebody else's problem).  It would be good if we can liase with other office apps such as email-clients and database back-ends but our primary concern is LibreOffice.  I agree that if a 3rd party tool is being used then we can only use it as an indicator rather than having complete confidence in the result.

>________________________________

C. H. D. C. H. D.

Re: Quality Assurance

Hello,

I think DiffPDF is somewhat reliable. If I also use Adobe Reader to view the potential difference, the comparison will be more reliable.

If I also convert the PDF to text and compare the text files, the comparison will be very reliable.

Using three tools should make the comparison very reliable. At last, I can save some time and report the real bug.

Regards,
C. H. D.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

--- 2013年1月17日 星期四,Tom Davies <[hidden email]> 寫道﹕

寄件人: Tom Davies <[hidden email]>
主題: Re: [libreoffice-users] Quality Assurance
收件人: "Felmon Davis" <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
日期: 2013年1月17日,星期四,上午12:59

Hi :)
Testing Pdf readers is an SEP (=somebody else's problem).  It would be good if we can liase with other office apps such as email-clients and database back-ends but our primary concern is LibreOffice.  I agree that if a 3rd party tool is being used then we can only use it as an indicator rather than having complete confidence in the result.

>________________________________

NoOp NoOp

Re: Quality Assurance

On 01/15/2013 05:28 PM, C. H. D. wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Thanks for this idea. I report a bug related to LibreOffice.

Thanks for that. When you report a bug, it's always helpful to give the
link to the bug so that others can view/contribute.

The link to the bug report is:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=59278
[EDITING: Missing dot when exporting PDF (regression)]