Question about a possible bug in writer.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Michael Tiernan Michael Tiernan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Question about a possible bug in writer.

I'm asking here before I go and hunt down if there's a bug.

I've done these steps. Very simple an unsophisticated process.
1) I create a new writer document.
2) I paste into it a load of plain text.
3) Go to first page. Create a footer with "page" of "page number"
4) Go to last page, the footer says "8 of 8".
5) Now, begin to format text.

Some of the changes:
A) Bold and Center a line of text.
B) Select some text and created bulleted list.

At this point the page counts are correct. NOW, I adjust the right
margin of the bulleted text and the page number /following/ the margin
change gets reset.

Has anyone seen this?
Anyone have any suggestions to look into before I try filing a bug report?
Thoughts?

Thanks for everyone's time.

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
steveedmonds steveedmonds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question about a possible bug in writer.

What operating system and LO version do you have.
Steve

On 2015-03-21 04:52, Michael Tiernan wrote:

> I'm asking here before I go and hunt down if there's a bug.
>
> I've done these steps. Very simple an unsophisticated process.
> 1) I create a new writer document.
> 2) I paste into it a load of plain text.
> 3) Go to first page. Create a footer with "page" of "page number"
> 4) Go to last page, the footer says "8 of 8".
> 5) Now, begin to format text.
>
> Some of the changes:
> A) Bold and Center a line of text.
> B) Select some text and created bulleted list.
>
> At this point the page counts are correct. NOW, I adjust the right
> margin of the bulleted text and the page number /following/ the margin
> change gets reset.
>
> Has anyone seen this?
> Anyone have any suggestions to look into before I try filing a bug report?
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks for everyone's time.
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Tim Deaton Tim Deaton
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question about a possible bug in writer.

In reply to this post by Michael Tiernan
On 3/20/2015 11:52 AM, Michael Tiernan wrote:

> I'm asking here before I go and hunt down if there's a bug.
>
> I've done these steps. Very simple an unsophisticated process.
> 1) I create a new writer document.
> 2) I paste into it a load of plain text.
> 3) Go to first page. Create a footer with "page" of "page number"
> 4) Go to last page, the footer says "8 of 8".
> 5) Now, begin to format text.
>
> Some of the changes:
> A) Bold and Center a line of text.
> B) Select some text and created bulleted list.
>
> At this point the page counts are correct. NOW, I adjust the right
> margin of the bulleted text and the page number /following/ the margin
> change gets reset.
>
> Has anyone seen this?
> Anyone have any suggestions to look into before I try filing a bug report?
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks for everyone's time.
>
This reminds me of a problem I've experienced.  It may or may not be the
same bug.

Try saving/closing the document, then re-opening it.  If it's the bug I
experienced, then the pages will be correct again when you re-open it.

-- Tim

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Virgil Arrington-2 Virgil Arrington-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question about a possible bug in writer.

I just tried recreating this problem with my system, and all worked well.

I'm using LO 4.3.6.2 on Ubuntu 14.04.

I can't recreate the bug.

Virgil


On 03/20/2015 10:30 PM, Tim Deaton wrote:

> On 3/20/2015 11:52 AM, Michael Tiernan wrote:
>> I'm asking here before I go and hunt down if there's a bug.
>>
>> I've done these steps. Very simple an unsophisticated process.
>> 1) I create a new writer document.
>> 2) I paste into it a load of plain text.
>> 3) Go to first page. Create a footer with "page" of "page number"
>> 4) Go to last page, the footer says "8 of 8".
>> 5) Now, begin to format text.
>>
>> Some of the changes:
>> A) Bold and Center a line of text.
>> B) Select some text and created bulleted list.
>>
>> At this point the page counts are correct. NOW, I adjust the right
>> margin of the bulleted text and the page number /following/ the margin
>> change gets reset.
>>
>> Has anyone seen this?
>> Anyone have any suggestions to look into before I try filing a bug
>> report?
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks for everyone's time.
>>
> This reminds me of a problem I've experienced.  It may or may not be
> the same bug.
>
> Try saving/closing the document, then re-opening it.  If it's the bug
> I experienced, then the pages will be correct again when you re-open it.
>
> -- Tim
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Michael Tiernan Michael Tiernan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question about a possible bug in writer.

On 3/21/15 7:51 AM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
> I just tried recreating this problem with my system, and all worked well.
>
> I'm using LO 4.3.6.2 on Ubuntu 14.04.
Thanks to all for the replies.

Since no one jumped up yelling that they've seen it I'll "assume" it's
my fault/problem.

Let me recreate a test document for it and see what happens.

Short answers, on Mac OSX.6.8 (No, can't upgrade yet.)
LO  Version: 4.2.8.2  Build ID: 48d50dbfc06349262c9d50868e5c1f630a573eb

Let me try again and I'll update the list with the results.

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
CVAlkan CVAlkan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question about a possible bug in writer.

No - it's definitely not your problem; Tim Deaton is correct.

This behavior has been around at least since the 3.x days when I first began using LibreOffice Writer, and I experienced it using both Windows XP and Ubuntu, and on both short and long documents. This behavior is decidedly still present in the 4.4 branch. If you print or export to pdf while the numbering is being randomly reset somewhere in the document, that erroneous numbering will be in the final output, and will also be reflected in any table of contents. Part of the review process, therefore, to page through any output to be sure things are ok.

BUT: If, as Tim says, you simply save and close the document and then reload it, the page numbers will then be correct, and only those page number resets you deliberately inserted will be present.

I've never been able to associate any particular action with the page number resets, and gave up posting a bug and just got used to it. Each time it occurs, I look to see if memory is running low, or if I have lots of other apps running, or anything like that I can think of, but still haven't stumbled onto anything that might constitute a "clue."

The bug is quite difficult to pin down - it can't (as far as I know) be reproduced on demand, so it will likely never be addressed. The only thing I have noticed is that I don't ever recall seeing more than one random page number reset at a time, even when I was working on a 400+ page book - suggesting that the bug is the result of some binary sort of action.

You are sane. Really! Have a good day ...