Question about saving Excel 365 (.xlsx) files in LibreOffice Calc 6.4.6

Tom Williams Tom Williams

Question about saving Excel 365 (.xlsx) files in LibreOffice Calc 6.4.6

Hi!  A friend of mine sent me an Excel 365 spreadsheet to get my help to
add a formula.  The spreadsheet is "simple", in that it had about 90
rows of data, with only one column being a numeric value.  Everything
else was plain text.  I added the formula (to sum the numbers in the one
numeric column) and when I saved the file, in XLSX format, I noticed the
file size was smaller.

Here is what I found:

Original file: 22kb

Calc 6.4.6 on Ubuntu 20.04:  16kb

Calc 5.1.6 (I think) on Mint 18.3:  9kb

Why would saving the file in Calc reduce the file size?

Thanks in advance!

Peace...

"The Other" Tom

--
/When I leave, I don't know what I'm hoping to find,
And when I leave, I don't know what I'm leaving behind.../

sandralouve sandralouve

Re: Question about saving Excel 365 (.xlsx) files in LibreOffice Calc 6.4.6

Le 2020-10-01 01:13, Tom Williams a écrit :

> Hi!  A friend of mine sent me an Excel 365 spreadsheet to get my help
> add a formula.  The spreadsheet is "simple", in that it had about 90
> rows of data, with only one column being a numeric value.  Everything
> else was plain text.  I added the formula (to sum the numbers in the
> one
> numeric column) and when I saved the file, in XLSX format, I noticed
> the
> file size was smaller.
>
> Here is what I found:
>
> Original file: 22kb
>
> Calc 6.4.6 on Ubuntu 20.04:  16kb
>
> Calc 5.1.6 (I think) on Mint 18.3:  9kb
>
> Why would saving the file in Calc reduce the file size?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Peace...
>
> "The Other" Tom
>
> --
> /When I leave, I don't know what I'm hoping to find,
> And when I leave, I don't know what I'm leaving behind.../

Hello Tom

A pleasure to have a librarian lol, well already the previous versions
of LibreOffice converted to Ms Office format are necessarily more
dancing in size as you have noticed, I will advise you to publish the
latest version of LibreOffice 7.0.1.2

then to come back to your question I don't have a screenshot but I send
you mine which also shows a document at the base ods of 33.6 kiB
converted to xlsx format of 26.9 kiB but when you look at the content
level the xlsx version is in excel zip so compressed at the base where
the xlsx size will be smaller than the ods version in size because it is
compressed at the source.

I hope to have answered your concern if not please specify your question
to me with screenshots so that I understand well why it is not a
question.

cordially
Sandra LOUVEZO

Tom Williams Tom Williams

On 10/2/20 7:32 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Le 2020-10-01 01:13, Tom Williams a écrit :
>> Hi!  A friend of mine sent me an Excel 365 spreadsheet to get my help to
>> add a formula.  The spreadsheet is "simple", in that it had about 90
>> rows of data, with only one column being a numeric value.  Everything
>> else was plain text.  I added the formula (to sum the numbers in the one
>> numeric column) and when I saved the file, in XLSX format, I noticed the
>> file size was smaller.
>>
>> Here is what I found:
>>
>> Original file: 22kb
>>
>> Calc 6.4.6 on Ubuntu 20.04:  16kb
>>
>> Calc 5.1.6 (I think) on Mint 18.3:  9kb
>>
>> Why would saving the file in Calc reduce the file size?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Peace...
>>
>> "The Other" Tom
>>
>> --
>> /When I leave, I don't know what I'm hoping to find,
>> And when I leave, I don't know what I'm leaving behind.../
>
> Hello Tom
>
> A pleasure to have a librarian lol, well already the previous versions
> of LibreOffice converted to Ms Office format are necessarily more
> dancing in size as you have noticed, I will advise you to publish the
> latest version of LibreOffice 7.0.1.2
>
> then to come back to your question I don't have a screenshot but I
> send you mine which also shows a document at the base ods of 33.6 kiB
> converted to xlsx format of 26.9 kiB but when you look at the content
> level the xlsx version is in excel zip so compressed at the base where
> the xlsx size will be smaller than the ods version in size because it
> is compressed at the source.
>
> I hope to have answered your concern if not please specify your
> question to me with screenshots so that I understand well why it is
> not a question.
>
> cordially
> Sandra LOUVEZO

Thanks for the reply!  I'll try LibreOffice 7 and see what happens. I
think I have it installed in a virtual Windows 10 environment I
sometimes use.

Thanks!

Peace...

"The Other" Tom

Tom Williams Tom Williams

On 10/2/20 7:55 AM, Tom Williams wrote:

>> Le 2020-10-01 01:13, Tom Williams a écrit :
>>> Hi!  A friend of mine sent me an Excel 365 spreadsheet to get my help to
>>> add a formula.  The spreadsheet is "simple", in that it had about 90
>>> rows of data, with only one column being a numeric value.  Everything
>>> else was plain text.  I added the formula (to sum the numbers in the one
>>> numeric column) and when I saved the file, in XLSX format, I noticed the
>>> file size was smaller.
>>>
>>> Here is what I found:
>>>
>>> Original file: 22kb
>>>
>>> Calc 6.4.6 on Ubuntu 20.04:  16kb
>>>
>>> Calc 5.1.6 (I think) on Mint 18.3:  9kb
>>>
>>> Why would saving the file in Calc reduce the file size?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Peace...
>>>
>>> "The Other" Tom
>>>
>>> --
>>> /When I leave, I don't know what I'm hoping to find,
>>> And when I leave, I don't know what I'm leaving behind.../
>> Hello Tom
>>
>> A pleasure to have a librarian lol, well already the previous versions
>> of LibreOffice converted to Ms Office format are necessarily more
>> dancing in size as you have noticed, I will advise you to publish the
>> latest version of LibreOffice 7.0.1.2
>>
>> then to come back to your question I don't have a screenshot but I
>> send you mine which also shows a document at the base ods of 33.6 kiB
>> converted to xlsx format of 26.9 kiB but when you look at the content
>> level the xlsx version is in excel zip so compressed at the base where
>> the xlsx size will be smaller than the ods version in size because it
>> is compressed at the source.
>>
>> I hope to have answered your concern if not please specify your
>> question to me with screenshots so that I understand well why it is
>> not a question.
>>
>> cordially
>> Sandra LOUVEZO
> Thanks for the reply!  I'll try LibreOffice 7 and see what happens. I
> think I have it installed in a virtual Windows 10 environment I
> sometimes use.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Peace...
>
> "The Other" Tom

So, I tried this in LibreOffice 7.0.1 on Windows 10 and found the
spreadsheet saved to a file size of 17kb.    This isn't a "problem" or
anything and I was mostly curious about the difference in file size.  :)

Peace...

"The Other" Tom