Question of Terminology?

Dave Barton-4 Dave Barton-4

Question of Terminology?

Hi Folks,

I am working to finish my (very slow) review of Jean's revision of
CG6204. In the process it occurred to me that in this and other guides
we have mostly used the term "Panel" to reference parts of the sidebar,
whereas the UX/Design folks and some support channels commonly refer to
sidebar "Decks".

While this is definitely not a critical issue, I feel that we should as
far as possible maintain consistency in the terminology we use to
identify the components of the software's UI.

Any thoughts, or should we discuss at the next meeting?

Dave

Luke (gmail) Luke (gmail)

Re: Question of Terminology?

My 2c is that Panel is more commonly used and understood by the average
person.

"Decks" may well be more familiar to those within the UX profession.

luke

On 28/5/19 2:00 am, Dave Barton wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am working to finish my (very slow) review of Jean's revision of
> CG6204. In the process it occurred to me that in this and other guides
> we have mostly used the term "Panel" to reference parts of the sidebar,
> whereas the UX/Design folks and some support channels commonly refer to
> sidebar "Decks".
>
> While this is definitely not a critical issue, I feel that we should as
> far as possible maintain consistency in the terminology we use to
> identify the components of the software's UI.
>
> Any thoughts, or should we discuss at the next meeting?
>
> Dave

Dave Barton-4 Dave Barton-4

Re: Question of Terminology?

Thanks Luke, your input (2c worth) is much appreciated. I am inclined to
agree with you on this specific aspect, but I am seeking general
consensus from the wider team/community on the standardization of this
and other terminologies used in our documentation.

Any other opinions about describing sidebar components as "Panels" or
"Decks" in the user guides?

Dave

On 27.05.2019 23:02, Luke (gmail) wrote:

> My 2c is that Panel is more commonly used and understood by the
> average person.
>
> "Decks" may well be more familiar to those within the UX profession.
>
> luke
>
> On 28/5/19 2:00 am, Dave Barton wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I am working to finish my (very slow) review of Jean's revision of
>> CG6204. In the process it occurred to me that in this and other guides
>> we have mostly used the term "Panel" to reference parts of the sidebar,
>> whereas the UX/Design folks and some support channels commonly refer to
>> sidebar "Decks".
>>
>> While this is definitely not a critical issue, I feel that we should as
>> far as possible maintain consistency in the terminology we use to
>> identify the components of the software's UI.
>>
>> Any thoughts, or should we discuss at the next meeting?
>>
>> Dave

kees538-2 kees538-2

Re: Question of Terminology?

In Dutch we also call it "Paneel" (Panel).
Don't know if this helps.

Greetings,
Kees

Dave Barton schreef op 30.05.2019 13:00:

> Thanks Luke, your input (2c worth) is much appreciated. I am inclined
> agree with you on this specific aspect, but I am seeking general
> consensus from the wider team/community on the standardization of this
> and other terminologies used in our documentation.
>
> Any other opinions about describing sidebar components as "Panels" or
> "Decks" in the user guides?
>
> Dave
>
> On 27.05.2019 23:02, Luke (gmail) wrote:
>> My 2c is that Panel is more commonly used and understood by the
>> average person.
>>
>> "Decks" may well be more familiar to those within the UX profession.
>>
>> luke
>>
>> On 28/5/19 2:00 am, Dave Barton wrote:
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> I am working to finish my (very slow) review of Jean's revision of
>>> CG6204. In the process it occurred to me that in this and other
>>> guides
>>> we have mostly used the term "Panel" to reference parts of the
>>> sidebar,
>>> whereas the UX/Design folks and some support channels commonly refer
>>> sidebar "Decks".
>>>
>>> While this is definitely not a critical issue, I feel that we should
>>> as
>>> far as possible maintain consistency in the terminology we use to
>>> identify the components of the software's UI.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts, or should we discuss at the next meeting?
>>>
>>> Dave

catdance catdance

Re: Question of Terminology?

I don't have strong opinions about what we should use, but keep in mind
that we need two different terms to describe the subunits of sidebars.

Thus, at least in other LO guides I have worked on, "decks" are the
equivalent of pages and "panels" are the equivalent of sections of
pages. When I first ran across this usage, I remember thinking that
"deck" seemed a somewhat unusual word for this context while "panel"
seemed like a good choice for either a "page" or a "section."

An alternative could be to treat sidebars like dialogs, so they would be
composed of pages, with each page containing sections. As someone with
little knowledge of UX language, this would be more user friendly for me.

However, "deck" and "panel" are already being used in LO documentation.
How important is it to be consistent with other documentation?

On 5/30/2019 11:32 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> In Dutch we also call it "Paneel" (Panel).
> Don't know if this helps.
>
> Greetings,
> Kees
>
> Dave Barton schreef op 30.05.2019 13:00:
>> Thanks Luke, your input (2c worth) is much appreciated. I am inclined to
>> agree with you on this specific aspect, but I am seeking general
>> consensus from the wider team/community on the standardization of this
>> and other terminologies used in our documentation.
>>
>> Any other opinions about describing sidebar components as "Panels" or
>> "Decks" in the user guides?
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On 27.05.2019 23:02, Luke (gmail) wrote:
>>> My 2c is that Panel is more commonly used and understood by the
>>> average person.
>>>
>>> "Decks" may well be more familiar to those within the UX profession.
>>>
>>> luke

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: Question of Terminology?

Howdy,

An example of deck and panel usage is in this blog from 2017
https://design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2017/02/16/guidelines-for-keyboard-navigation-in-the-sidebar/

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 9:24 AM Cathy Crumbley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't have strong opinions about what we should use, but keep in mind
> that we need two different terms to describe the subunits of sidebars.
>
> Thus, at least in other LO guides I have worked on, "decks" are the
> equivalent of pages and "panels" are the equivalent of sections of
> pages. When I first ran across this usage, I remember thinking that
> "deck" seemed a somewhat unusual word for this context while "panel"
> seemed like a good choice for either a "page" or a "section."
>
> An alternative could be to treat sidebars like dialogs, so they would be
> composed of pages, with each page containing sections. As someone with
> little knowledge of UX language, this would be more user friendly for me.
>
> However, "deck" and "panel" are already being used in LO documentation.
> How important is it to be consistent with other documentation?

> > In Dutch we also call it "Paneel" (Panel).
> > Don't know if this helps.
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Kees
> >
> > Dave Barton schreef op 30.05.2019 13:00:
> >> Thanks Luke, your input (2c worth) is much appreciated. I am inclined to
> >> agree with you on this specific aspect, but I am seeking general
> >> consensus from the wider team/community on the standardization of this
> >> and other terminologies used in our documentation.
> >>
> >> Any other opinions about describing sidebar components as "Panels" or
> >> "Decks" in the user guides?
> >>
> >> Dave

Dave Barton-4 Dave Barton-4

Re: Question of Terminology?

OK, so we already have clear definitions in the HIG Guide:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LO-HIG_SideeBar-Terminology.png
which I guess is the basis for Figure 8 on page 15 in chapter 1 of the
most recent Getting Started Guide.

On 31.05.2019 15:34, Drew Jensen wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> An example of deck and panel usage is in this blog from 2017
> https://design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2017/02/16/guidelines-for-keyboard-navigation-in-the-sidebar/
>

> On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 9:24 AM Cathy Crumbley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I don't have strong opinions about what we should use, but keep in mind
>> that we need two different terms to describe the subunits of sidebars.
>>
>> Thus, at least in other LO guides I have worked on, "decks" are the
>> equivalent of pages and "panels" are the equivalent of sections of
>> pages. When I first ran across this usage, I remember thinking that
>> "deck" seemed a somewhat unusual word for this context while "panel"
>> seemed like a good choice for either a "page" or a "section."
>>
>> An alternative could be to treat sidebars like dialogs, so they would be
>> composed of pages, with each page containing sections. As someone with
>> little knowledge of UX language, this would be more user friendly for me.
>>
>> However, "deck" and "panel" are already being used in LO documentation.
>> How important is it to be consistent with other documentation?

>>> In Dutch we also call it "Paneel" (Panel).
>>> Don't know if this helps.
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>> Kees

catdance catdance

Re: Question of Terminology?

I edited that chapter but do not remember running across the graphic in
the wiki. In fact, I have rarely used the wiki, probably because I don't
know what information is there.

Is there further information in the wiki or someplace else that
specifies the terminology for UI elements?

On 5/31/2019 11:13 AM, Dave Barton wrote:

> OK, so we already have clear definitions in the HIG Guide:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LO-HIG_SideeBar-Terminology.png
> which I guess is the basis for Figure 8 on page 15 in chapter 1 of the
> most recent Getting Started Guide.
>

> On 31.05.2019 15:34, Drew Jensen wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> An example of deck and panel usage is in this blog from 2017
>> https://design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2017/02/16/guidelines-for-keyboard-navigation-in-the-sidebar/
>>

>> On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 9:24 AM Cathy Crumbley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't have strong opinions about what we should use, but keep in mind
>>> that we need two different terms to describe the subunits of sidebars.
>>>
>>> Thus, at least in other LO guides I have worked on, "decks" are the
>>> equivalent of pages and "panels" are the equivalent of sections of
>>> pages. When I first ran across this usage, I remember thinking that
>>> "deck" seemed a somewhat unusual word for this context while "panel"
>>> seemed like a good choice for either a "page" or a "section."
>>>
>>> An alternative could be to treat sidebars like dialogs, so they would be
>>> composed of pages, with each page containing sections. As someone with
>>> little knowledge of UX language, this would be more user friendly for me.
>>>
>>> However, "deck" and "panel" are already being used in LO documentation.
>>> How important is it to be consistent with other documentation?

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: Question of Terminology?

Howdy,

For toolbars, including the newer notebook and grouped bars there is this
page:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/ToolBar

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 1:05 PM Cathy Crumbley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I edited that chapter but do not remember running across the graphic in
> the wiki. In fact, I have rarely used the wiki, probably because I don't
> know what information is there.
>
> Is there further information in the wiki or someplace else that
> specifies the terminology for UI elements?
>
> On 5/31/2019 11:13 AM, Dave Barton wrote:
> > OK, so we already have clear definitions in the HIG Guide:
> > https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LO-HIG_SideeBar-Terminology.png
> > which I guess is the basis for Figure 8 on page 15 in chapter 1 of the
> > most recent Getting Started Guide.
> >

> > On 31.05.2019 15:34, Drew Jensen wrote:
> >> Howdy,
> >>
> >> An example of deck and panel usage is in this blog from 2017
> >>
> https://design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2017/02/16/guidelines-for-keyboard-navigation-in-the-sidebar/

> be
> me.

> inclined to
> this

> guides

> https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/documentation/

Ilmari Lauhakangas Ilmari Lauhakangas

Re: Question of Terminology?

Useful listings:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/index.php?title=Special%3APrefixIndex&prefix=Documentation
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/index.php?title=Special%3APrefixIndex&prefix=Design

Ilmari

Cathy Crumbley kirjoitti 31.5.2019 klo 20.05:

> I edited that chapter but do not remember running across the graphic in
> the wiki. In fact, I have rarely used the wiki, probably because I don't
> know what information is there.
>
> Is there further information in the wiki or someplace else that
> specifies the terminology for UI elements?
>
> On 5/31/2019 11:13 AM, Dave Barton wrote:
>> OK, so we already have clear definitions in the HIG Guide:
>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LO-HIG_SideeBar-Terminology.png
>> which I guess is the basis for Figure 8 on page 15 in chapter 1 of the
>> most recent Getting Started Guide.
>>

>> On 31.05.2019 15:34, Drew Jensen wrote:
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> An example of deck and panel usage is in this blog from 2017
>>> https://design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2017/02/16/guidelines-for-keyboard-navigation-in-the-sidebar/

kees538-2 kees538-2

Re: Question of Terminology?

Dave Barton schreef op 31.05.2019 17:13:
> OK, so we already have clear definitions in the HIG Guide:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LO-HIG_SideeBar-Terminology.png
> which I guess is the basis for Figure 8 on page 15 in chapter 1 of the
> most recent Getting Started Guide.

Sounds good to me. No need for change I would say.

Kees

> On 31.05.2019 15:34, Drew Jensen wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> An example of deck and panel usage is in this blog from 2017
>> https://design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2017/02/16/guidelines-for-keyboard-navigation-in-the-sidebar/
>>

>> On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 9:24 AM Cathy Crumbley <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't have strong opinions about what we should use, but keep in
>>> mind
>>> that we need two different terms to describe the subunits of
>>> sidebars.
>>>
>>> Thus, at least in other LO guides I have worked on, "decks" are the
>>> equivalent of pages and "panels" are the equivalent of sections of
>>> pages. When I first ran across this usage, I remember thinking that
>>> "deck" seemed a somewhat unusual word for this context while "panel"
>>> seemed like a good choice for either a "page" or a "section."
>>>
>>> An alternative could be to treat sidebars like dialogs, so they would
>>> be
>>> composed of pages, with each page containing sections. As someone
>>> with
>>> little knowledge of UX language, this would be more user friendly for
>>> me.
>>>
>>> However, "deck" and "panel" are already being used in LO
>>> documentation.
>>> How important is it to be consistent with other documentation?

LibreOfficiant LibreOfficiant

Re: Question of Terminology?

Regardless of any programming knowledge/habit/background..

I tend to consider panels as a static part of a window, which I turn is a
global container. I ‘ve come across those expressions:
- floating toolbars, dialogs or windows
- docked toolbars, dialogs or windows

I would dislike to ‘dock a deck’ as much as I refrain from floating/docking
a ´window’.

Although not discussed in this thread, multiplied panels/dialogs/ toolbars,
be they static or floating, lead me to extreme perplexity: Eclipse or the
Gimp are illustrations of blurred personal ‘perspectives’, despite their
attempts to assist me as a user. I suppose features richness comes with
complexity...

-----
cf. Designing &amp; Developing Python Applications

--
Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Documentation-f1645240.html