RE : [tdf-discuss] Re: Feature request - embed font

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

RE : [tdf-discuss] Re: Feature request - embed font

Hi.

Font embedding reloes on the format used by the suite. Currently only PDF
has this ability.

Best,

Charles.

Le 20 mars 2011, 3:21 PM, "aqualung" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Jason Corfman-2 wrote: > > But embedding a font into a document > for
editing purposes quickly sli...
Isn't it the font that determines what you can do with it?

Fonts that allow embedding are either "editable" or "installable". Surely
there is no legal issue if the font explicitly allows you to embed it in one
of these two ways? When a font does not explicitly allow it then a software
should not make it possible, either; that goes without saying.

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: RE : [tdf-discuss] Re: Feature request - embed font

I suppose what I was thinking would be usefull was to have a directory
within the odt file called fonts. LO would check here first for fonts
called in the document. I could copy my custom TT or type 1 fonts here
thereby making my document portable.
This seems relatively simple. More work is involved if a font management
tool is desired (i.e. a panel listing fonts used in the document and
tick box for "Save with Document").

In regards the licensing issue, what is the difference between emailing
a document (with the font stored within) and emailing the document + the
font file. In both cases you have or have not broken the license
(depending on the conditions)

This could even promote the use of free fonts, when you can't even
transfer a document in Arial between Linux and Mac without loss of
formatting it could be a big plus to be the only suite to be able to
offer true document portability.
I could use Andale Sans or Albany AMT and not have to worry about how it
would format on Windows. I would not be encouraged to copy licensed
fonts from my windows machine to my linux/mac machines to be certain
documents created in linux/mac formatted correctly on windows

steve

On 21/03/11 7:46 AM, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Font embedding reloes on the format used by the suite. Currently only PDF
> has this ability.
>
> Best,
>
> Charles.
>
> Le 20 mars 2011, 3:21 PM, "aqualung"<[hidden email]>  a écrit :
>
> Jason Corfman-2 wrote:>  >  But embedding a font into a document>  for
> editing purposes quickly sli...
> Isn't it the font that determines what you can do with it?
>
> Fonts that allow embedding are either "editable" or "installable". Surely
> there is no legal issue if the font explicitly allows you to embed it in one
> of these two ways? When a font does not explicitly allow it then a software
> should not make it possible, either; that goes without saying.

aqualung aqualung

Re: RE : [tdf-discuss] Re: Feature request - embed font

Thank you for your reply but I do not understand.

The OP was making a feature request for font embedding to be added to LibreOffice.

I commented on the licensing aspect.

Now you note something about a "suite" -- do you mean "suite" as in "office suite"? Microsoft's Office suite has this ability. PDF is not a suite.

Could you please expand on your statement, thanks.

Charles.

On 21/03/11 10:20 AM, aqualung wrote:

> Thank you for your reply but I do not understand.
>
> The OP was making a feature request for font embedding to be added to
> LibreOffice.
>
> I commented on the licensing aspect.
>
> Now you note something about a "suite" -- do you mean "suite" as in "office
> suite"? Microsoft's Office suite has this ability. PDF is not a suite.
>
> Could you please expand on your statement, thanks.
Hi. sorry, this is probably my imprecise english. By suite I meant the
LO suite (group) of products, were font embedding in files to be
extended to more than writer. Otherwise, if font embedding is limited to
writer (odt files) then suite should be replaced with writer.

To clarify further, by embedding fonts, I mean embedding them in the
document file as a font, not embedding them in the document as some
coded character.

Cheers, steve

aqualung aqualung

Cheers, steve
Jean-Baptiste_Faure Jean-Baptiste_Faure

Le 20/03/2011 23:25, aqualung a écrit :
> Thank you, that is very clear.
>
> I am still not understanding Charles' comment.
Charles meant that embedded fonts is not really a problem for the
software but must be first adressed by the OpenDocument format which is
not under the control of LibreOffice.

Have a nice day
JBF

> Steve Edmonds wrote:
>> Hi. sorry, this is probably my imprecise english. By suite I meant the
>> LO suite (group) of products, were font embedding in files to be
>> extended to more than writer. Otherwise, if font embedding is limited to
>> writer (odt files) then suite should be replaced with writer.
>>
>> To clarify further, by embedding fonts, I mean embedding them in the
>> document file as a font, not embedding them in the document as some
>> coded character.
>>
>> Cheers, steve

aqualung aqualung

Re: RE : [tdf-discuss] Re: Feature request - embed font

That's valuable information, thanks. However, it had nothing to do with my first comment in the thread.

You have a nice day too!

Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote

JBF
steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: RE : [tdf-discuss] Re: Feature request - embed font

Thanks. I understand now.

steve

On 21/03/11 7:28 PM, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:

> Le 20/03/2011 23:25, aqualung a écrit :
>> Thank you, that is very clear.
>>
>> I am still not understanding Charles' comment.
> Charles meant that embedded fonts is not really a problem for the
> software but must be first adressed by the OpenDocument format which is
> not under the control of LibreOffice.
>
> Have a nice day
> JBF
>
>> Steve Edmonds wrote:
>>> Hi. sorry, this is probably my imprecise english. By suite I meant the
>>> LO suite (group) of products, were font embedding in files to be
>>> extended to more than writer. Otherwise, if font embedding is limited to
>>> writer (odt files) then suite should be replaced with writer.
>>>
>>> To clarify further, by embedding fonts, I mean embedding them in the
>>> document file as a font, not embedding them in the document as some
>>> coded character.
>>>
>>> Cheers, steve

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: RE : [tdf-discuss] Re: Feature request - embed font

Thanks Jean-Baptiste, yes, that's what I meant :-)

Charles.

2011/3/21 Jean-Baptiste Faure <[hidden email]>

> Le 20/03/2011 23:25, aqualung a écrit :
> > Thank you, that is very clear.
> >
> > I am still not understanding Charles' comment.
> Charles meant that embedded fonts is not really a problem for the
> software but must be first adressed by the OpenDocument format which is
> not under the control of LibreOffice.
>
> Have a nice day
> JBF
>

> > Steve Edmonds wrote:
> >> Hi. sorry, this is probably my imprecise english. By suite I meant the
> >> LO suite (group) of products, were font embedding in files to be
> >> extended to more than writer. Otherwise, if font embedding is limited to
> >> writer (odt files) then suite should be replaced with writer.
> >>
> >> To clarify further, by embedding fonts, I mean embedding them in the
> >> document file as a font, not embedding them in the document as some
> >> coded character.
> >>
> >> Cheers, steve
> >>

> > --

> Seuls des formats ouverts peuvent assurer la pérennité de vos documents.

mirek2 mirek2

Re: RE : [tdf-discuss] Re: Feature request - embed font

Hi everyone,
I believe this would be better solved with LibreOffice integration with
online font repositories, like openfontlibrary.org,
theleagueofmoveabletype.com or Google Web
Fonts<http://www.google.com/webfonts>.
If I received a document with a font I don't have installed, LibO should
look it up in these repositories and, if it's available, ask me to install
it (or install it automatically, based on my settings).

This would bolster the use of open-source fonts as well as relieve the user
of the uncomfortable task of having to search online for fonts he doesn't
have.

And compared to bundling fonts with a file, this saves space by avoiding
duplication.

2011/3/21 Charles-H. Schulz <[hidden email]>

> Thanks Jean-Baptiste, yes, that's what I meant :-)
>
> Charles.
>
> 2011/3/21 Jean-Baptiste Faure <[hidden email]>
>
> > Le 20/03/2011 23:25, aqualung a écrit :
> > > Thank you, that is very clear.
> > >
> > > I am still not understanding Charles' comment.
> > Charles meant that embedded fonts is not really a problem for the
> > software but must be first adressed by the OpenDocument format which is
> > not under the control of LibreOffice.
> >
> > Have a nice day
> > JBF

> > > --
> > >

> > --
> > Seuls des formats ouverts peuvent assurer la pérennité de vos documents.

aqualung aqualung

Re: RE : [tdf-discuss] Re: Feature request - embed font

O.K., so is everyone now in agreement that there is no legal problem embedding a font that explicitly licenses itself to be embedded?

I am new here and am a bit mystified at the way discussion seems to move, with inapposite answers to comments and then the point gets lost along the way.

This Adobe page lists the four levels of permissions granted (or not, as the case may be) by a font's license. However, according to this forum discussion, "installable embedding" is only a theoretical, not a practical option for lack of any software that actually performs this. (Confirmed by a Microsoft MVP here. And this page gives two easy-to-understand matrices that show how turning on the "embed font" setting in your application affects the experience of your file's recipient font-wise; however, it is wrong about installable fonts being automatically installed to the system.)

Legal matters aside, I like Mirek's idea of an online font repository and downloading from there as needed.
Jason Corfman-2 Jason Corfman-2

Re: RE : [tdf-discuss] Re: Feature request - embed font

One other problem with embedding the font in the file (which I didn't see
anyone bring up, and if they did, I apologize) is it would increase the file
size for the document. That isn't much of a concern with a single document,
but if you have a couple thousand documents, each with the same font(s)
embedded, that would take up a lot of unneccessary space.

I do like the idea of an online font repository where the font can be
downloaded as needed, although logistically, I'm a little unsure how that
wold work. I'd also be concerned about whether that would force the user to
only use the fonts in the repository.

Jason Corfman
[hidden email] - www.corfyscorner.com
           Take back the Internet!
www.getfirefox.com and www.getthunderbird.com
        Get Legal - Get LibreOffice
         http://www.libreoffice.org

Linux user #384496 - Ubuntu User #15390

Steve Edmonds-2 Steve Edmonds-2

On 22/03/11 06:44, aqualung wrote:

> O.K., so is everyone now in agreement that there is no legal problem
> embedding a font that explicitly licenses itself to be embedded?
>
> I am new here and am a bit mystified at the way discussion seems to move,
> with inapposite answers to comments and then the point gets lost along the
> way.
>
> This  https://www.adobe.com/type/browser/info/embedding.html Adobe page
> lists the four levels of permissions granted (or not, as the case may be) by
> a font's license. (However, according to
> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/634966?decorator=print&displayFullThread=true
> this forum discussion , "installable embedding" is only a theoretical, not a
> practical option for lack of any software that actually performs this.
>
> Legal matters aside, I like the idea of an online font repository and
> downloading from there as needed.

This seemed good to me at first, but then I thought "how do I make my
custom fonts and especially purchased fonts portable with my documents".
I am talking about me being able to edit my documents on my machines
without having to coordinate font libraries across Suse/OSX/Win. In a
business I could just flick the document to a secretary for printing and
not have to go to her machine and install the fonts required.
Without the font being packaged in the document the only solution would
then be to post them on line, encouraging  breaking the license terms,
unless I had a personal online font repository.
But then again the on-line solution has the problem of editing a
document offline (on the train on my laptop).

I am suggesting that packaging the font with the document be optional,
only for fonts where there is not a universal substitute, so that fonts
do not need to be packaged with every document and bloat the system.

As pointed out, it may not be possible to package fonts in the document
file because of the Open Document standard, although I would have though
it would have been flexible enough to enable packaging of future items,
otherwise it would be limiting to development and future inclusion of
say media or as of yet unpopularised formats.

Impress (from LO) doesn't seem to package media(audio/visual) and be
able to save as powerpoint,  but Impress (from OO) packages media within
the file in a media folder and is able to save as powerpoint. May be
fonts can be classed media and packaged in the media folder. Is the
presence of the media folder standards compliant.

steve

aqualung aqualung

Re: RE : [tdf-discuss] Re: Feature request - embed font

I had understood Mirek's proposal to mean that there would be one "official" online font repository, or perhaps several.

Embedding a non-embeddable font in a document file is simply not possible, according to what I've read so far. Installing an installable font embedded in a file as a system font was once possible (in Windows) but not anymore.

So of the four levels of embedding/licensing, "Installable" is irrelevant because inoperative (in Windows). "Embeddable" is not a worry because it is governed by the font itself, likewise "Print/Preview". Even if I wanted to breach the license by embedding when I am not allowed to I could not. The same for "No embedding allowed" -- again, the font controls and a user has no say in the matter.

I guess there would still be the matter of distribution/copying rights to worry about, which is distinct from the four levels of embedding licensing.

And, good point about some people not being online all the time.

Steve Edmonds-2 wrote
italovignoli italovignoli

On 03/21/2011 11:44 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:

> As pointed out, it may not be possible to package fonts in the document
> file because of the Open Document standard, although I would have though
> it would have been flexible enough to enable packaging of future items,
> otherwise it would be limiting to development and future inclusion of
> say media or as of yet unpopularised formats.

Fonts used for editing documents must be installed at operating system
level (Windows, MacOS, Linux) and therefore they would not be available
even if embedded in documents. In addition fonts have different metrics
on different operating systems.

This is the reason why fonts have never been embedded in any document
format for editing (not even in old Microsoft proprietary formats, even
if they were a memory dump), because if they are not installed there is
no chance of having them available for editing.

Font embedding in PDF is a completely different story. PDF is a document
description format based on PostScript, and thus the engine in the
software can use the embedded fonts to render them on screen thanks to
the code developed by John Warnock (a genius developer, the inventor of
PostScript and one of the founders of Adobe).

This feature was introduced in PDF 2.0, because the first version was
using Minion and Myriad, specific fonts with real time variable metrics
which had to be installed at system level in order to mimic the fonts
used to produce the document.

I was working as a consultant for Adobe at that time, and I have been
the PDF spokeperson for Europe for several years.

It is true that many years have gone by, but fonts are handled by
operating systems in the same way. If they are not installed in their
specific folder at boot time, they cannot be used for editing documents.

I hope this helps.

--
Italo Vignoli
[hidden email]

Italo Vignoli
Director - The Document Foundation

On 2011-03-22 12:35, Italo Vignoli wrote:

> On 03/21/2011 11:44 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:
>
>> As pointed out, it may not be possible to package fonts in the document
>> file because of the Open Document standard, although I would have though
>> it would have been flexible enough to enable packaging of future items,
>> otherwise it would be limiting to development and future inclusion of
>> say media or as of yet unpopularised formats.
>
> Fonts used for editing documents must be installed at operating system
> level (Windows, MacOS, Linux) and therefore they would not be
> available even if embedded in documents. In addition fonts have
> different metrics on different operating systems.
This must be why I had to delete Arial from my mac and replace it with
Arial from my Suse.

What about with OOO2 where fonts were available for OOO exclusively
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Font-FAQ#How_do_I_add_fonts_to_OpenOffice.org_2_exclusively

Fonts were installed in ~/.openoffice.org2/user/fonts/
So I was assuming that a font packaged in an odt file would be placed
somewhere similar on opening the odt file and then available exclusively
to LO when editing the document. This is where I used to place my custom
fonts and doesn't require admin access for font installation.

> This is the reason why fonts have never been embedded in any document
> format for editing (not even in old Microsoft proprietary formats,
> even if they were a memory dump), because if they are not installed
> there is no chance of having them available for editing.
>
> Font embedding in PDF is a completely different story. PDF is a
> document description format based on PostScript, and thus the engine
> in the software can use the embedded fonts to render them on screen
> thanks to the code developed by John Warnock (a genius developer, the
> inventor of PostScript and one of the founders of Adobe).
>
> This feature was introduced in PDF 2.0, because the first version was
> using Minion and Myriad, specific fonts with real time variable
> metrics which had to be installed at system level in order to mimic
> the fonts used to produce the document.
>
> I was working as a consultant for Adobe at that time, and I have been
> the PDF spokeperson for Europe for several years.
>
> It is true that many years have gone by, but fonts are handled by
> operating systems in the same way. If they are not installed in their
> specific folder at boot time, they cannot be used for editing documents.
>
> I hope this helps.

aqualung aqualung

Re: RE : [tdf-discuss] Re: Feature request - embed font

Italo Vignoli wrote
I was working as a consultant for Adobe at that time, and I have been
the PDF spokeperson for Europe for several years.

It is true that many years have gone by, but fonts are handled by
operating systems in the same way. If they are not installed in their
specific folder at boot time, they cannot be used for editing documents.
Straight from the horse's mouth...

Leaving aside the question of the font embedding that Microsoft Word offers, exactly, it appears that font embedding in OOo isn't going to happen.

Still, how should people proceed who want to be sure their document appears exactly the same across platforms and regardless of what fonts are installed on the recipient's system?

It appears they have four options:

- Save to PDF (but this won't be editable except with Adobe Acrobat)
- Save to .odt and use only the most widely used fonts
- Save to .odt and use a relatively less common font, then send this font together with document file (only legal if the font's license permits, which some do), or
- Save to .odt and point recipient to websites where font can be legally and freely downloaded.

If it isn't going to be a feature in OOo, then perhaps the Help could be expanded to explain these options? (If no expert is available for this task, I would volunteer to do a first draft... but I'm strictly a novice at this.)

Many websites and pages tackle the topic of typography. I have about two dozen bookmarks in my Firefox of type websites including repositories with free fonts (I think the most liberal license is called SIL) and typography education.

Recently, for example, mashable.com published an article listing eight such websites.
aqualung aqualung

Re: RE : [tdf-discuss] Re: Feature request - embed font

A postscript:

"Free" does not necessarily mean lower quality. Some beautiful free fonts that I have on my system include
- Yanone Kaffeesatz
- Lavoisier
- Ubuntu
- and of course the terrific Linux Libertine G and Linux Biolinum G

There are free fonts for all sorts of special needs, for example the STIX family of fonts includes every symbol and character for the entire universe of scientific/technical publishing.

P.S.: Sorry if I sometimes write OOo inadvertently, I do realize this is a LibreOffice Board!
aqualung aqualung

Re: RE : [tdf-discuss] Re: Feature request - embed font

P.P.S.: And of course, even when both the sender and the recipient have the same font installed on their system, there still is no iron-clad guarantee that both will see the exact same thing on their computer screen, due to the variety of display schemes (ClearType sub-pixel rendering etc.) in circulation.

So, the Holy Grail is not achievable, only incremental improvements.
Kürti László Kürti László

Re: RE : [tdf-discuss] Re: Feature request - embed font

>> There are free fonts for all sorts of special needs, for example the STIX
>> family of fonts includes every symbol and character for the entire universe
>> of scientific/technical publishing.

That is true, but what will happen when you send .pdf with those fonts to windows desktop or MAC. You see it on the monitor but not able to print at all :(

too bad
Laszlo