RFC: Deleting automatically inserted hyphens

Manfred Nowak Manfred Nowak

RFC: Deleting automatically inserted hyphens

Whenever I have used the automatical hyphenation, the hyphens stay in the text even when they are needed no more; for example on changing the text of a paragraph or changing the geometry of the page _and_ then invoking the process of hyphenation again.

The program should be able to delete those hyphens as automatical as they are inserted, when the fact that they are inserted automatically is saved somehow and the fact, whether they are still needed is computed on rehyphenation.

-- Nachrichten erreichen mich lediglich elektronisch oder durch persönliche Übergabe

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Re: RFC: Deleting automatically inserted hyphens

Den lör 20 juni 2020 kl 09:54 skrev Manfred Nowak <[hidden email]>:

> > Those hyphens don't need to be deleted.
> I understand, that you believe to be able to live with once alive but now "Dead
> Code <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_code>".
>
> > If you preview your pages, you won't see them.
> This is plain wrong, because after several corrections exactly those
> hyphens, which are previously unused, are now used to break the paragraphs
> into lines---becoming seen thereby.

Isn't that supposed to happen? Maybe I'm not sure what you mean, then.

> In addition: on proof reading one cannot decide, whether a hyphen
>
>    - was inserted manually, and therefore on purpose and correct, or
>    - was inserted automatically by some previous automatic hyphenation,
>    and therefore probably untested and faulty.
>
> Yes, you can. The automatically inserted ones have a gray background.

>    -
>
> Together with a manually inserted hyphen, one can of course insert a
> remark, assuring the proof reader, that the marked hyphen is inserted
> manually to distinguish that hyphen from those automatically inserted ...
> ... ...

Ok, I'm pretty sure by now that I don't have a clue what you are talking
about. I guess I completely misunderstood you from the very first word. I
did some tests and I found nothing strange. I wrote some text, did that
automatic hyphen thing, some words were split as expected and hyphens were
added at the right places. I then added words here and there, and lines
were now splitted in other places. The hyphens that no longer filled a
purpose were still there, but when pre-viewing the document, or printing it
out, only the necessary hyphens are there, just as expected. I guess the
same thing happens when exporting to PDF, but I didn't try that. The
automatically inserted hyphens have a gray background and they take no
place, that's two ways to see the difference between automatically and
manually inserted hyphens.

Maybe you could just file a bug report, if you still are sure it's a bug,
and if you want it fixed.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg