Re : Bouncing messages from users@global.libreoffice.org

mhenriday mhenriday

Re : Bouncing messages from users@global.libreoffice.org

Den tis 31 dec. 2019 kl 05:00 skrev <[hidden email]>:

> Hi, this is the Mlmmj program managing the <[hidden email]>
> mailing list.
>
> Some messages to you could not be delivered. If you're seeing this
> message it means things are back to normal, and it's merely for your
> information.
>
> Here is the list of the bounced messages:
> - 55635

From time to time I receive messages of the type above, but never any
information about what I am expected - or allowed - to do with the «list of
bounced messages» which accompanies them. Can anyone on the forum enlighten
me ?...

Henri

Hylton Conacher Hylton Conacher

Re: Bouncing messages from users@global.libreoffice.org

Hi Henri,

I also had the same message and note that it was for the same message number that was ‘missed’. As I am sure we are not using the same ISP in South Africa, so who knows maybe the mailing list admins picked it up as spam.  ANYONE know??

Regards
Hylton
ISP: Voxtelecom

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Re : Bouncing messages from users@global.libreoffice.org

At 12:54 31/12/2019 +0200, Hylton Conacher wrote:
>I also had the same message and note that it was for the same
>message number that was "missed". As I am sure we are not using the
>same ISP in South Africa, so who knows maybe the mailing list admins
>picked it up as spam. ANYONE know?

I think I do.

The list help text says "Anyone can retrieve message number N from
the list's archive by sending a message to
<[hidden email]> (change the N to the number
of the desired message)". But if I'm right, any repeat copy would
also fail to be delivered to you.

It's all down, I think, to DMARC; see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMARC . This is a well-intentioned
scheme to allow mail providers to reject incoming messages if they
originate from a mail server which is not a registered server for the
domain in the From: header. Such messages will generally be spoofed
and thus spam, so this is a Good Thing. But a problem arises if
mailing list processors (quite sensibly) preserve the original From:
address on forwarded messages - as does the LibreOffice Users list
processor. The forwarded message claims to be from the original
sender (which it is, of course), but is injected into the LibreOffice
mail server, which gives it the appearance of being a spoof message.
You will fail to receive such messages if both (1) the originating
mail domain publishes a list of approved servers and requires
receiving systems to reject messages from elsewhere, and (2) your
mail provider chooses to play ball and obey this requirement.

My mail domain (which is Yahoo in disguise) satisfies condition (1),
so you will fail to receive my messages to the list if your mail
provider satisfies condition (2). I do not receive copies of my own
contributions. Message 55635 is, I think, my contribution to the
thread "full date string to date"; you can see this at
http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/full-date-string-to-date-td4271380.html
. If I'm right, you will not receive copies of this message via the
list, which is why I'm copying it to you both directly.

There are solutions to this problem, the simplest of which is for the
list processor to append something such as ".INVALID" to the From:
address in relevant messages, so that they are no longer recognised
as coming from a DMARC-conformant domain. Many mailing list providers
do this. I wrote to <[hidden email]> about this as
long ago as 1 May 2018, but my suggestion for action was rejected, on
the ground that "none of the workarounds [are] satisfactory for
everyone". Thus the problem continues ...

Brian Barker