Re: Can't find setting

12345 « Prev
Tom Tom

Re: A neat feature (base and related font sizes)

Hi :)
Yes, that was exactly what i was talking about.

In your example if we then changed the style called "default" from Liberation to Arial then the change would cascade through "text-body" and any other styles that were linked in that way.  Changing from 12pt to 11pt would also ripple through, cascade through.  Linked headings would now be Arial and slightly smaller, perhaps dropping from 16pt to 14pt or from 48pt to 36pt or something like that.  I think.  it might be just that they keep the same font-size but might have only changed from Liberation to Arial.

Many styles are linked by default. I think all the ones about numbered or un-numbered lists, and stuff like that is all linked to the text-bod or default (or one through the other).  I just don't know which ones are affected by which but so far haven't noticed anything unpleasant going on so it's obviously been done in a way that i would want it done.

Occasionally (but very rarely) i've found some text in a wrong format with an apparently wrong style applied in a wrong way.  Usually cut&paste but pasting as unformatted text (and then re-apply the same style) has solved that.

So although i haven't really read that chapter of the guide i still find the little i have gleaned from a quick glance at a small part of it has helped me hugely.  I really should read the rest!

Cley Faye Cley Faye

2013/8/21 Tom Davies <[hidden email]>

> Hi :)
> Yes, that was exactly what i was talking about.
>
> In your example if we then changed the style called "default" from
> Liberation to Arial then the change would cascade through "text-body" and
> any other styles that were linked in that way.  Changing from 12pt to 11pt
> would also ripple through, cascade through.  Linked headings would now be
> Arial and slightly smaller, perhaps dropping from 16pt to 14pt or from 48pt
> to 36pt or something like that.  I think.  it might be just that they keep
> the same font-size but might have only changed from Liberation to Arial.
>

> Many styles are linked by default. I think all the ones about numbered or
> un-numbered lists, and stuff like that is all linked to the text-bod or
> default (or one through the other).  I just don't know which ones are
> affected by which but so far haven't noticed anything unpleasant going on
> so it's obviously been done in a way that i would want it done.

About linked styles, remember that among the display options, ​​beside
"display all" and "only used styles", there is the "hierarchical" option
that display exactly this kind of link between various styles :-)

It's also quite useful, because you can somewhat create styles
"categories", like all the "Title 1", "Title 2"... ones are under the
single "Title" style. It's easier to find it this way (in my opinion).

Tom Tom

Re: Can't find setting

I have quite enjoyed a lot of this discussion.  I think a lot of the issues can't be fixed by the word-processor without blocking us from being able to mess around with stuff to give it our own personal flair.

For example i tend to double-space at the end of sentences but if i was forced to do that and given no choice then i would resent it deeply.  When i get on my bike to go home from work i could always turn left to go out across the fields and down to the river and maybe a pub and i quite fancy doing that but somehow almost always turn right and go home.  If i was forced to always do one or the other i would resent it.  It's having the choice that is important.  LaTeX deals with some of these issues but by doing so it restricts people's possible choices.

Another thing is that i tend to find that almost any "final document" produced by MS Office looks a bit shoddy and cheap.  There is always something that has gone a little wrong that we just have to put up with.  By contrast documents produced by LO just look so much more professional and polished that maybe we expect a bit too much from it sometimes.  A tool that can blatantly never get the job done, like Word, is forgiven minor issues more easily than a tool that is almost perfect, like LO.

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

On 08/21/2013 05:23 AM, Gabriel Risterucci wrote:
> About linked styles, remember that among the display options, ​​beside
> "display all" and "only used styles", there is the "hierarchical"
> option that display exactly this kind of link between various styles
> :-) It's also quite useful, because you can somewhat create styles
> "categories", like all the "Title 1", "Title 2"... ones are under the
> single "Title" style. It's easier to find it this way (in my opinion).

Yes!

The "hierarchical" display option for styles is so helpful when one has
many styles based on others. And, that is why I got so frustrated when
LO 4 would no longer use the "hierarchical" display option by default.
When I close LO 3.6, it remembers my last style display option for the
next time it loads. Sadly, LO 4 does not (at least last I checked).

This is a minor irritation, but when one uses styles heavily and they
are all based on one another in some fashion, it's an important minor
irritation.

Virgil

snowshed snowshed

Re: Can't find setting

On 8/21/13 3:26 AM, Tom Davies wrote:

>For example i tend to double-space at the end of sentences but if i was
forced to do that
 > and given no choice then i would resent it deeply.  When i get on my
bike to go home from
 > work i could always turn left to go out across the fields and down to
the river and maybe a
 > pub and i quite fancy doing that but somehow almost always turn right
and go home.  If i
 > was forced to always do one or the other i would resent it.  It's
having the choice that is
 > important.  LaTeX deals with some of these issues but by doing so it
restricts people's
 > possible choices.

Hi, Tom,

Unfortunately, your analogy doesn't work, in this case.

When you go riding through the fields, you are really not affecting nor
interacting with anyone.

But, with writing, you are attempting to communicate with one or more
individuals.  If everyone does something different, how is the reader
supposed accurately know what you are attempting to say/communicate?

Whether or not there's two spaces at the end of the sentence doesn't
make a lot of difference in that communication, IMO.  But, I think it
does effect the ease with which an individual can read the written word.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.4
Firefox 23.0
Thunderbird 17.0.8
LibreOffice 4.1.04

Denis Navas Vega Denis Navas Vega

Re: A neat feature

Virgil,

I have been experimenting using percentages.  With heading 1 ... heading n,
I make a header depends from the inmediately superior heading and apply that
the font of a lower heading is 92% of the previous size.

Felmon Davis Felmon Davis

Re: Can't find setting

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, Ken Springer wrote:

> [...]
>
> Whether or not there's two spaces at the end of the sentence doesn't make a
> lot of difference in that communication, IMO.  But, I think it does effect
> the ease with which an individual can read the written word.

did you mean "the ease with which _some individuals_ can read the
written word"? I dislike double-spaces but I hardly see a difference,
subjectively, in the ease of reading.

can you cite a source for the claim it inhibits reading? don't feel
obligated; I know Tom is trying, in his graceful way, to end the
thread and it is probably overdrawn at this point.

it is btw pretty easy to edit them out.

F.

--
Felmon Davis

If you find a solution and become attached to it, the solution may
become your next problem.

Tom Tom

Re: A neat feature

I think it's one of those things you have to play around with before finding settings that suit your own needs.  Other people can try to help but exact, precision is only likely to come from making decisions for yourself.  Sorry that's not very helpful!

Are you trying to make Heading2 a percentage of Heading1 rather than a percentage (over 100% obviously) of the default or text-body styles?  I'm not sure which approach i would take either tbh.

>________________________________

Tom,

I receive your comments via my email account and answer from it.

Yes, I am setting a cascade of sizes based on size of previous
heading, using the same font size setting: 92%.
The key I discovered, is to not confuse LO is to apply Heading 1 to a
paragraph, latter Heading 2 up to Heading N.

I think that in that way, LO avoids confusion and scalates the font.
An advantage is that it expands or stretch the size to accomodate
fractional sizes.

Deseándole bendiciones de Dios,

Denis J Navas
Consultor
+505 8357-0296
+505 8899-8252

2013/8/22 Tom Davies <[hidden email]>:

> Hi :)
> I think it's one of those things you have to play around with before finding
> settings that suit your own needs.  Other people can try to help but exact,
> precision is only likely to come from making decisions for yourself.  Sorry
> that's not very helpful!
>
> Are you trying to make Heading2 a percentage of Heading1 rather than a
> percentage (over 100% obviously) of the default or text-body styles?  I'm
> not sure which approach i would take either tbh.
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>

> ________________________________

Dave Liesse Dave Liesse

Password-protected Excel file

Is LO capable of opening an XLSX file that has a password?  I tried it
with v4.0 and LO thought it was a CSV file.  I just tried with v5.2.1.2
and LO at least recognizes that there's a password but won't accept it.
I'm sure this isn't the only client that's going to do this to me, so
want to check on an LO solution before working it at the client end.

Dave

zahra a zahra a

Re: Password-protected Excel file

hi.
i have a word documents that include password.
when i want to open one of it, it needs one hour and 45 minute to open.
libreoffice should can open it but in a very long time.
when i open it, it does not request password from me and run properly.

On 10/5/16, Dave Liesse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is LO capable of opening an XLSX file that has a password?  I tried it
> with v4.0 and LO thought it was a CSV file.  I just tried with v5.2.1.2
> and LO at least recognizes that there's a password but won't accept it.
> I'm sure this isn't the only client that's going to do this to me, so
> want to check on an LO solution before working it at the client end.
>
> Dave

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
al-islam.org

12345 « Prev