Re: Database Report Builder - how to improve documentation?

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Database Report Builder - how to improve documentation?

Hi Rainer,

I am forwarding this to the docs list to see what input there might be
from the docs team. I will forward any results to the QA list. I know
there are a couple of people working on the documentation for Base, so
they might have some ideas...

@docs team: I'm forwarding the mail below that I received, for your
comments and input...

--
David Nelson

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Rainer Bielefeld
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello David, Hello András,
>
> some users on <[hidden email]> started a bug hunting initiative
> to find and report Bugs related to Database / Report Builder - with great
> results, as you can see in Bugzilla.
>
> One of the results is, that Help and documentation for that tool currently
> are terrible rare, contain several errors (because tool is rather inchoate)
> and should be adapted to bug fixes.
>
> A source for the planned functions of the Report builder we found (with
> Regina's help) here:
>
> <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/SUN_Report_Builder>
> <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/SUN_Report_Builder/Documentation>
> <http://www.openoffice.org/dba/specifications/index.html>
>
> Here my question:
> Can you give some advice how the contributors of the initiative can help to
> improve Help and Manuals in an effective way? Whom should they contact? Who
> can sight the results (what often might be in German) and integrate them? Do
> you know somebody who can be added to CC in tue Bugzilla Bugs?
>
> Hints and discussion preferably on <[hidden email]>
>
> Thanks in advance and best regards
>
> Rainer

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: Database Report Builder - how to improve documentation?

Hello *,

I have had a look at
http://www.openoffice.org/dba/specifications/index.html

There are more features described than ever implemented.
I have added a lot of comments. You could find the document with
comments here:
http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/download/ReportDesigner_withComments.odt

Before we will write this specifications so, that it will describe the
specifications of our report-builder, we should have a look at the bugs
of the report-builder. There are functions planned, also buttons or
menu-entrys for this functions, but no function behind this entrys.

Here one example: The properties of page were planned with a dialog for
columns. This dialog doesn't appear in any report-builder of LO or OOo.
But when you open the report for editing you can see the menu-entry
edit → column header/footer
And in the general properties of a group you could find "Start new column".

So you could read in the German Handbook "Base": "No function behind
this Button". Looks a little bit curious.

Robert

David Nelson David Nelson

Re: Database Report Builder - how to improve documentation?

Hi Robert,

Thank you for responding. I'll wait a week and then will forward to
Rainer whatever feedback there is in this thread. Everyone with
something to say is invited to pitch in.

--
David Nelson