Re: [GSoC] Improve user experience with CMIS – Weekly report #6

Jan Holesovsky-4 Jan Holesovsky-4

Re: [GSoC] Improve user experience with CMIS – Weekly report #6

Hi Szymon,

Szymon Kłos píše v Pá 10. 07. 2015 v 21:16 +0200:

> I think this is a good moment, considering that I completed most of work
> needed by my dialog.

And I see this has happened - great stuff, thank you! :-)

It works pretty well for me, only few UX comments:

* when opening the "Open Remote", and there is no service added yet, the
  "Add service" dialog should open directly

* when opening the "Open Remote" dialog, either the list of files should
  be populated (using the currently selected service), or some feedback
  should be given that some user action is expected first

* [to be discussed in with the UX/Design team] should we have a "Reload"
  button in the "Open Remote" dialog?  Where, if yes?

* in the "Open Remote", some kind of feedback "something is happening"
  is necessary in when reading the list of files from the remote

* "Label:" in the "Add service" dialog should pre-file according to the
  user name; like when the user name is 'johndoe', and the service is
  GDrive, the Label: should pre-file with "Johndoe's GDrive" or
  something (with the possibility to change this by the user if he/she
  wants)

* opening file from the recent documents in the start center asks for
  the user name (would be good to remember that or have that as part of
  the URL it remembers), and then does not open the file - only the busy
  mouse pointer keeps rolling

* [to be discussed within the UX/Design team] should we merge the Save
  and Save As buttons now, to have a split button there - Save as the
  default action, and the Save As File... and Save Remote File... in the
  submenu?

* "Remote File" submenu for Save As should be renamed to "Save Remote
  File..." to give more idea what's going on

* no "Save Remote File..." submenu in the LibreOffice Impress and Draw

I am sorry if this feedback comes too early, and all this is actually on
your todo :-)  Either way - great stuff, love the work done so far!

All the best,
Kendy

Heiko Tietze Heiko Tietze

Re: [GSoC] Improve user experience with CMIS –Weekly report #6

Can we get a screenshot? Or is it implemented in the nightlies?

Heiko Tietze Heiko Tietze

On Monday 20 July 2015, 08:32:49 Jan Holesovsky wrote:
> * when opening the "Open Remote", and there is no service added yet, the
>   "Add service" dialog should open directly
I wouldn't do so. It's pretty clear that no service has been configured.

> * when opening the "Open Remote" dialog, either the list of files should
>   be populated (using the currently selected service), or some feedback
>   should be given that some user action is expected first
+1 for showing the list of files
(currently the list is updated when an item from the service dropdown is
selected)

> * [to be discussed in with the UX/Design team] should we have a "Reload"
>   button in the "Open Remote" dialog?  Where, if yes?
No, because there is no reload in any open dialog. If you want to update the
local files you have to change the directory (likely depending of the OS).
Should be the same here.

> * in the "Open Remote", some kind of feedback "something is happening"
>   is necessary in when reading the list of files from the remote
Yes, a throbber or even better progress bar makes sense here.

> * "Label:" in the "Add service" dialog should pre-file according to the
>   user name; like when the user name is 'johndoe', and the service is
>   GDrive, the Label: should pre-file with "Johndoe's GDrive" or
>   something (with the possibility to change this by the user if he/she
>   wants)
Would be a nice-to-have. But...

+ WebDAV, last entries
I have to enter a user name but below not the password but the service label.
Users like me might not read the label and enter password here. Since the
authentification dialog asks again for the user name we could drop it perhaps.
Otherwise the label should get a different position or a separator.

> * opening file from the recent documents in the start center asks for
>   the user name (would be good to remember that or have that as part of
>   the URL it remembers), and then does not open the file - only the busy
>   mouse pointer keeps rolling
I started from Writer>Recent  documents: Remote and after the first dialog
with user name and password I wasn't asked again (edit: but after restart). As
well at the start center.

> * [to be discussed within the UX/Design team] should we merge the Save
>   and Save As buttons now, to have a split button there - Save as the
>   default action, and the Save As File... and Save Remote File... in the
>   submenu?
Isn't it the same problem as for Open?The better solution is to call save
'Save remotely' - what it does actually right now.
BTW: Save works but 'Save as' gives me a 'The folder contents could not be
displayed. Operation not supported' error message. Guess it comes from an
undefined local place (I'm on Linux/KDE). Question here is whether we should
remotely with a different name.

> * "Remote File" submenu for Save As should be renamed to "Save Remote
>   File..." to give more idea what's going on
Currently 'Save as' works locally. But we could rename Save to 'Save
remotely'.

> * no "Save Remote File..." submenu in the LibreOffice Impress and Draw

+ dialog width restriction is too conservative
I'd like to resize it somewhat smaller to have it in a 4:3 dimension. But
that's not possible due to minimum width of ~800px.

+ 'add/delete service' should be disabled when no service is selected
Both menu entries are enabled even when no service has been defined.

+ preselection of file type depending on app
Filter is set to 'all files' but could adopted to the running app such as
presentations in case of Impress.

+ menu
Users might not look for remote files at the recent files menu. However I have
no idea how to solve this problem. 'Open...' and the default open dialog
should stay as it is. And another menu entry on the top level doesn't reflect
the low relevance of CMIS for the average user.

+ speed
At least WebDAV is slow to an unusable extend.

+ info/app title
Might be good to know that a document is opened remotely. I suggest to add
this info to the title, like 'Foo.odt (Remote) - LibreofficeDev Writer'.

> I am sorry if this feedback comes too early, and all this is actually on
> your todo :-)  Either way - great stuff, love the work done so far!
+1 Impressive progress!

Heiko Tietze Heiko Tietze

Am 24.07.2015 12:28:27, schrieb Szymon Kłos:
> > > * when opening the "Open Remote", and there is no service added yet, the
> > >   "Add service" dialog should open directly
> > I wouldn't do so. It's pretty clear that no service has been configured.
>
> I've already implemented this and rest of kendy's proposals (not marked
> as 'to be discussed') :) I will push my changes to the master branch
> then you will be able to try it.

Had a discussion with Kendy on IRC. His argument is convenience and unambiguousness - no need to click the 'add service' button where nothing else is possible (when the add service dialog is canceled you end in the empty dialog). I care about consitency and user expectation - to run functions automatically is a wizard-like behavior and not common in Libreoffice; the mental step from open remote file to add service needs to be done anyway. Another disadvantage is that writing a guideline for dialogs is not getting easier.
Both opinions are valid, and if we do not get more input here either the user or the developer decides eventually.

> > > * when opening the "Open Remote" dialog, either the list of files should
> > >   be populated (using the currently selected service), or some feedback
> > >   should be given that some user action is expected first
> > +1 for showing the list of files
> > (currently the list is updated when an item from the service dropdown is
> > selected)
>
> Most of services needs authorization, so first the login box appears and
> then files will be shown (if password isn't remembered). Problem I have
> is: if password is no needed, dialog will appear only after getting
> files from remote server. During this time LO is not responsive.

If we automatically start the add service function we could also present a list of services to choose one in order to initialize the dialog. Alternatively, the dropdown with predefined services should be empty or showing the advice 'Select a service'. And if all fails we rather add the refresh button instead of requiring the user to click somewhere.

> I also have a proposal to add "New Folder" button in the save mode. Now
> it is possible to save files in the existing directories only. When user
> want to save in a folder other than root, must create it using other
> tools.

 Same as for my resentments about adding the refresh button: If dialogs may show any buttons we do not manage consistency (at least at the dialog bottom). But I agree with small, toolbar-like  buttons without caption perhaps, above the list of files. And of course the context menu may (and should) provide the functionality.