Re: LibreOffice icon

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: LibreOffice icon

Hi René,

thanks for your mail ... and at the same time: sorry for being a bit
late. You all are so active, that one get really get lost in all the
great messages :-)

Am Donnerstag, den 30.09.2010, 23:17 +0200 schrieb René Mérou:
> Hello,
>
> I'm the mantainer of the free software concept map:
> http://es.gnu.org/~reneme/fsmap/en/fsmap-en.svg
> (Its didactical matherial for teachers to explain free software. It is
> translated to 30 langues)

Oh, thanks for the introduction. I didn't knew that - great thing!

> I made one libre icon for LibreOffice:
> http://www.saberlibre.net/libreofficeicon.svg
>
> I propose you to use this icon to refer to LibreOffice. Its LGPL licenced.
> (you can read more in the svg metadata)

Thanks a lot. At the moment, we use another icon (you based your work
on) that is meant to be a placeholder until the trademark questions are
resolved and until we get a bit more feedback by the broader LibO
community concerning the branding.

So I propose to stick with the current one (for more or less official
things like the software or the websites) to keep things consistent. I
hope that this consistency helps us to retain/gain the trust by users
who are new to LibO.

> I want to change the map. I want to change the reference to openoffice to o
> ne reference to the LibreOffice.

Great :-)

> It will be like this catalan version im working on:
> http://es.gnu.org/~reneme/fsmap/ca/fsmap-ca-2.svg

By the way, we currently use "LibreOffice" instead of "LibreOffice.org".

> Do i have your permision to use that icon to refer libreOffice? At least un
> til we have one more official version or until you accept my little contributio
> n.  (I'll be very happy to know something i contributed is used in the program
> i use to teach offimatics)

>From my point-of-view, yes, please go on. It's your map and you are the
one who knows best what teachers need to understand the FLOSS world
(because I noticed that the Ubuntu logo is a bit different as well). You
may also use the "more serious" one, if you think it's more appropriate.
>From my point-of-view, people might understand your icon to focus on the
Draw module.

Thanks a lot for your great work to make FLOSS widely known :-)

Cheers,
Christoph

René Mérou René Mérou

Re: LibreOffice icon

On Domingo 03 Octubre 2010 17:43:58 Christoph Noack escribió:
> Hi René,
>
> thanks for your mail ... and at the same time: sorry for being a bit
> late.

Hahaha, no problem.

> You all are so active, that one get really get lost in all the
> great messages :-)

Great :)

> Am Donnerstag, den 30.09.2010, 23:17 +0200 schrieb René Mérou:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm the mantainer of the free software concept map:
> > http://es.gnu.org/~reneme/fsmap/en/fsmap-en.svg
> > (Its didactical matherial for teachers to explain free software. It is
> > translated to 30 langues)
>
> Oh, thanks for the introduction. I didn't knew that - great thing!

thanks :)

> > I made one libre icon for LibreOffice:
> > http://www.saberlibre.net/libreofficeicon.svg
> >
> > I propose you to use this icon to refer to LibreOffice. Its LGPL
> > licenced. (you can read more in the svg metadata)
>
> Thanks a lot. At the moment, we use another icon (you based your work
> on) that is meant to be a placeholder until the trademark questions are
> resolved and until we get a bit more feedback by the broader LibO
> community concerning the branding.
>
> So I propose to stick with the current one (for more or less official
> things like the software or the websites) to keep things consistent. I
> hope that this consistency helps us to retain/gain the trust by users
> who are new to LibO.
>
> > I want to change the map. I want to change the reference to openoffice
> > o ne reference to the LibreOffice.
>
> Great :-)
>
> > It will be like this catalan version im working on:
> > http://es.gnu.org/~reneme/fsmap/ca/fsmap-ca-2.svg
>
> By the way, we currently use "LibreOffice" instead of "LibreOffice.org".

I did that some days ago :)

this is the actual map in catalan:
http://es.gnu.org/~reneme/fsmap/ca/fsmap-ca.svg

The icon i propose means you can draw and write with openoffice and it mean
Libre too:
http://www.saberlibre.net/libreofficeicon.svg

I propose to change the 2 birds for that L for libre. :)

And the pen can expres to prepare one document and to draw.

> > Do i have your permision to use that icon to refer libreOffice? At least
> > un til we have one more official version or until you accept my little
> > contributio n.  (I'll be very happy to know something i contributed is
> > used in the program i use to teach offimatics)
> >
> >From my point-of-view, yes, please go on. It's your map and you are the
>
> one who knows best what teachers need to understand the FLOSS world
> (because I noticed that the Ubuntu logo is a bit different as well).

Yes. The problem is that ubuntu allows to use the icon but not as 100% free

icon. Same problem for the firefox icon.  So i used other version i found i
the web 100% free.

As a teacher i want my pupils to understand what freedom means and i think

that using only free icons makes it a good idea. It's not just knowledge.

> You
> may also use the "more serious" one, if you think it's more appropriate.
>
> >From my point-of-view, people might understand your icon to focus on the
>
> Draw module.
>
> Thanks a lot for your great work to make FLOSS widely known :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

So, its ok now?

http://es.gnu.org/~reneme/fsmap/ca/fsmap-ca.svg
can i use this more unofficial icon?

I see as more colored, emotive and expresive this one:
http://www.saberlibre.net/libreofficeicon.svg

It's better for teaching and its less "rude". Thats why i proposed to use t
his
one until a decision is made for the LibreOffice communication designs.
Something more related to "corporative image" or a general "ngo image".

I just had one new idea for the general:
http://www.saberlibre.net/libreofficeicon2.svg
and for the particular of draw:
http://www.saberlibre.net/libreofficeicon3.svg

What do u think about it? :)