Re: Opening 'Pages' documents

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Opening 'Pages' documents

       yes & no.

       Suggestions:

          (1) If you go to the Apple 'store', you should find that Pages is
one of the free programs you can download.

          (2) LO has a Mac version which I would think would open any Mac
document,

                 hopefully someone with more knowledge on this subject will
be getting back with you anon.

       Hoping this helps,

From: Alwyn <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Bcc:
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 02:57:03 -0700 (MST)
Subject: [libreoffice-users] Opening 'Pages' documents
Is it possible to open a 'Pages' document from LibreOffice.  Although I use
an iMac I don't have Apple's word-processing software.

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Opening 'Pages' documents

Le 06/09/2017 à 18:51, anne-ology a écrit :

FWIW, only older versions of Pages (version '09) documents can be opened
with reasonable fidelity using LibreOffice.

Current versions of Pages (5.6.x) documents do not open correctly. There
is at least one bug report (bug 105211) about this in the LibreOffice
bugzilla system.

Alex

TomD TomD

Re: Opening 'Pages' documents

Hi :)
1.  Is there an easy work-around such as using "Pages" to save in a
different format?

2.  Does Microsquish Office open such files any better?

3.  Is it easy to file a bug-report against "Pages" with better likelihood
of Apple fixing it?

It seems that other companies try to force users into becoming dependant on
their software by making their software incompatible with everyone else.
The resulting documents are often difficult to open successfully with more
recent versions of their software.  It seems crazy that so many people fall
for it!

Regards from
a Tom :)

Le 07/09/2017 à 12:12, Tom Davies a écrit :
> Hi :)
> 1.  Is there an easy work-around such as using "Pages" to save in a
> different format?

Pages 6.2 (latest version available on OSX 10.12.6) can export to :

PDF
Word (DOCX or DOC97-2004)
Plain text
RTF
ePub
Pages'09

so potentially, there are one or more workarounds.

> 2.  Does Microsquish Office open such files any better?

No - Word thinks the file is OpenXML and fails to parse it correctly,
resulting in no file being loaded/displayed.

> 3.  Is it easy to file a bug-report against "Pages" with better
> likelihood of Apple fixing it?

No. It isn't Apple's problem after all, they haven't broken their own
product. The LibreOffice import filter isn't up to the job, that's all.
One might go out on a limb and suspect that Apple deliberately changed
its file format to thwart importation into LibreOffice, but that would
be just paranoid thinking, wouldn't it...

Alex

TomD TomD

Re: Opening 'Pages' documents

Hi :)
Thanks :)

Of course we take the blame whenever 'they' change their formats and refuse
to pass their formats specification on to anyone else, as appears to be the
case give that MS struggle too.

Wrt paranoia, yes it does appear paranoid.  Even though it fits a pattern
that makes it easy to predict future events with a high level of accuracy.

Regards from
a Tom :)