Re: PDFs

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: PDFs

       Thank you for this information -
            I did not realize that PDFs were not merely a strange sort of
word document  ;-)
           (I have not liked PDFs;
          & have not understand the continual use of them - although some
seem to encrypt them)

From: Cley Faye <[hidden email]>
Date: Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 7:18 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] PDF Extnension for Libre Office/Writer or
Open Office
Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

​About removing blank pages, there are tools for that :)

The other things, anything involving elements position, is trying to fight
against the format and will always rely on black magic.​ Remember that
while word processing software sees paragraphs, a PDF sees only symbols
placed on a page. Sometime these symbols are whole sentences, sometimes
single letters with no relation to others beside being relatively close to
each other.

--
Cley Faye
http://cleyfaye.net

>        oops ... nuts ... ... ...  ;-)
>
>        When I responded to his message, I was hoping there might now be a
> good program which would eliminate all the gobbledegook which happens
> through this method;
>            will there ever be a program which will allow for editing these
> inane PDF files without messing up the original intent???
>        one which would allow the simple deletion of those excessive blank
> pages ...
>            the ability to fix the margins allowing for less wasted space
>           the ability to eliminate the extraneous lines which criss-cross
> throughout the document ... ... ...
>

> From: Jean-Baptiste Faure <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 1:57 PM
> Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] PDF Extnension for Libre Office/Writer or
> Open Office
> To: [hidden email]
> Cc: [hidden email]
>

> Hi,
>
> Le 27/12/2014 19:36, charles meyer a écrit :
> > [...]
> > I was reading there is an extension you can download for Open Office
> > which allows you to import a PDF file and then edit that PDF file.
>

> This extension is part of the default installation of LibreOffice. You
> only have to try to open your pdf file from the File > open menu of
> LibreOffice to open the file in the Draw module
>
> Best regards.
> JBF

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Re: PDFs

Am 30.12.2014 um 03:16 schrieb anne-ology:
>        Thank you for this information -
>             I did not realize that PDFs were not merely a strange sort of
> word document  ;-)
>            (I have not liked PDFs;
>           & have not understand the continual use of them - although some
> seem to encrypt them)

_Any_ software able to send print jobs can generate PDF by sending the
print job to a software rather than a print device.
And that very same _Any_ software is the software to edit your data and
then send another print job to the PDF generator exactly like you would
print new paper sheets after editing the original data. PDF is not a
document format. It is a virtual print out designed to look exactly like
a physical print out _regardless_ of the editing software being a word
processor, graphics program, web browser, computer aided design suite,
desktop publishing software, charting/plotting/rendering whatever
software. If it can print sheets of paper, it can also "print" PDF. You
can not edit the output of arbitrary software with your word processor.
The PDF extension which dissembles arbitrary PDF chunks into Draw
elements is a master piece. Of course, it does not fulfill the high
flying expectations of the united front of ignorants.

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: PDFs

       what ???

       In actually printing the data -
         (in my experience) -
        from a PDF file, there's a lot of blank pages, gobbledegook,
extraneous lines criss-crossing, as well as extremely wide margins - all of
which not only wastes paper but makes for a quite messy printed page(s).

       So other than those who think they're ecrypting the data why does
anyone use a program which makes such a mess - and as for encrypting the
data; well, I've been able to open any of these PDFs without waiting for
whatever code - after receiving whatever codes, the outcome is never any
better.

From: Andreas Säger <[hidden email]>
Date: Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 4:42 AM
Subject: [libreoffice-users] Re: PDFs
To: [hidden email]

Am 30.12.2014 um 03:16 schrieb anne-ology:
>        Thank you for this information -
>             I did not realize that PDFs were not merely a strange sort of
> word document  ;-)
>            (I have not liked PDFs;
>           & have not understood the continual use of them - although some
> seem to encrypt them)

_Any_ software able to send print jobs can generate PDF by sending the
print job to a software rather than a print device.
And that very same _Any_ software is the software to edit your data and
then send another print job to the PDF generator exactly like you would
print new paper sheets after editing the original data. PDF is not a
document format. It is a virtual print out designed to look exactly like
a physical print out _regardless_ of the editing software being a word
processor, graphics program, web browser, computer aided design suite,
desktop publishing software, charting/plotting/rendering whatever
software. If it can print sheets of paper, it can also "print" PDF. You
can not edit the output of arbitrary software with your word processor.
The PDF extension which dissembles arbitrary PDF chunks into Draw
elements is a master piece. Of course, it does not fulfill the high
flying expectations of the united front of ignorants.

Felmon Davis Felmon Davis

Re: PDFs

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014, anne-ology wrote:

>       what ???
>
>       In actually printing the data -
>         (in my experience) -
>        from a PDF file, there's a lot of blank pages, gobbledegook,
> extraneous lines criss-crossing, as well as extremely wide margins - all of
> which not only wastes paper but makes for a quite messy printed page(s).
>
>       So other than those who think they're ecrypting the data why does
> anyone use a program which makes such a mess - and as for encrypting the
> data; well, I've been able to open any of these PDFs without waiting for
> whatever code - after receiving whatever codes, the outcome is never any
> better.

I wonder what is going on here. I don't experience _any_ of this. of
course, if the composer of the pdf set the margins wide (or narrow)
that will show up in the pdf (as it's supposed to).

how do you open them for reading?

for my part I couldn't work at all well without pdfs, pretty much
indispensable.

F.

> From: Andreas Säger <[hidden email]>
> Date: Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 4:42 AM
> Subject: [libreoffice-users] Re: PDFs
> To: [hidden email]
>

> Am 30.12.2014 um 03:16 schrieb anne-ology:
>>        Thank you for this information -
>>             I did not realize that PDFs were not merely a strange sort of
>> word document  ;-)
>>            (I have not liked PDFs;
>>           & have not understood the continual use of them - although some
>> seem to encrypt them)
>>

> _Any_ software able to send print jobs can generate PDF by sending the
> print job to a software rather than a print device.
> And that very same _Any_ software is the software to edit your data and
> then send another print job to the PDF generator exactly like you would
> print new paper sheets after editing the original data. PDF is not a
> document format. It is a virtual print out designed to look exactly like
> a physical print out _regardless_ of the editing software being a word
> processor, graphics program, web browser, computer aided design suite,
> desktop publishing software, charting/plotting/rendering whatever
> software. If it can print sheets of paper, it can also "print" PDF. You
> can not edit the output of arbitrary software with your word processor.
> The PDF extension which dissembles arbitrary PDF chunks into Draw
> elements is a master piece. Of course, it does not fulfill the high
> flying expectations of the united front of ignorants.

Felmon Davis

We buy junk and sell antiques.  -- sign in country store
OogieM OogieM

Re: PDFs

In my case PDFs are one of the best most portable file formats. I use them extensively for anything I scan and save. I never expect anyone to edit PDFs I create but I often get editable ones as forms that I fill out and save and send back. Best is that even old versions of the files can be read by new versions of the SW. It's a perfect archiving format.

As for encryption, that also works well.

I've never seen the excess blank pages or wide margins unless the person set it up that way.

As others have mentioned, PDF is a print format and not really meant to be editable in the same sense an ODT file is.
.
On Dec 30, 2014, at 8:50 AM, anne-ology <[hidden email]> wrote:

> rom a PDF file, there's a lot of blank pages, gobbledegook,
> extraneous lines criss-crossing, as well as extremely wide margins - all of
> which not only wastes paper but makes for a quite messy printed page(s).
>
>       So other than those who think they're ecrypting the data why does
> anyone use a program which makes such a mess

Eugenie (Oogie) McGuire
Desert Weyr, LLC - Black Welsh Mountain Sheep http://www.desertweyr.com/
LambTracker - Open Source SW for Shepherds http://www.lambtracker.com
Paonia, CO USA

hfinger hfinger

Re: PDFs

Adobe originally intended PDF to be a colour "fax" format for sending
documents to others. It was also intended to be a universal printable
format so that recipients did not need the sender's software (OgreOffice,
PubCrawler, or whatever) to print the output of the sender's program.

Regards,
Hedley

On 1 January 2015 at 02:20, Oogie McGuire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In my case PDFs are one of the best most portable file formats. I use them
> extensively for anything I scan and save. I never expect anyone to edit
> PDFs I create but I often get editable ones as forms that I fill out and
> save and send back. Best is that even old versions of the files can be read
> by new versions of the SW. It's a perfect archiving format.
>
> As for encryption, that also works well.
>
> I've never seen the excess blank pages or wide margins unless the person
> set it up that way.
>
> As others have mentioned, PDF is a print format and not really meant to be
> editable in the same sense an ODT file is.
> .
> On Dec 30, 2014, at 8:50 AM, anne-ology <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > rom a PDF file, there's a lot of blank pages, gobbledegook,
> > extraneous lines criss-crossing, as well as extremely wide margins - all
> of
> > which not only wastes paper but makes for a quite messy printed page(s).
> >
> >       So other than those who think they're ecrypting the data why does
> > anyone use a program which makes such a mess
>
> Eugenie (Oogie) McGuire
> Desert Weyr, LLC - Black Welsh Mountain Sheep http://www.desertweyr.com/
> LambTracker - Open Source SW for Shepherds http://www.lambtracker.com
> Paonia, CO USA

1/17 Glyndon Road, Camberwell VIC 3124, Australia
[hidden email]
Telephone 03 9836 4635
Mobile 0412 461 558
LinuxCounter.net registered computer 576484