Re: Piwik statistics → Privacy Policy needs an update

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Piwik statistics → Privacy Policy needs an update

Hi *,

as the request did only result in <silence>, here's my proposal:
(cc german list, as it also contains german text)

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Christian Lohmaier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> piwik (web analytics tool - details here http://piwik.org/) will be
> used for the website(s) the TDF runs to get some usage statistics.
> Thus the privacy policy needs some love regarding this topic.

This is meant to replace the "Use of Cookies" section:
#######
Use of Piwik
On our website, we use the open source web analysis software Piwik.
Data collected by Piwik includes IP, time and duration of the visit,
what pages are visited, used browser and plugins, search-engines and
referrer.
While Piwik uses a cookie to distinguish between individual visitors,
the collected data doesn't allow to identify individuals.
The collected data will only be used to improve the website -
especially that data won't be matched with data from other sources,
and we won't share the collected data with third parties.
We'll only use anoymized, collective analysis provided by Piwik for
our evaluation.

#######

Einsatz von Piwik
Wir verwenden auf unseren Webseiten die Open Source
Webanalyse-Software Piwik ein. Daten, die durch Piwik erhoben werden
sind die IP, der Zeitpunkt und Dauer des Besuchs, die besuchten
Webseiten, verwendeter Browser und Plugins, Suchmaschinen und
Referrer.
Piwik verwendet einen Cookie um einzelne Benutzer zu unterscheiden,
die erhobenen Daten können aber nicht dazu herangezogen werden eine
bestimmte Person zu identifizieren.
Die Daten werden ausschließlich zur Verbesserung des Webangebots
herangezogen - insbesondere werden die Daten nicht mit Daten aus
anderen Quellen abgeglichen und die Daten werden nicht an Dritte
weitergegeben. Lediglich anonymisierte, kollektive Analysen der Daten
werden für die Auswertung verwendet.

#######
so comment and suggest better wordings please :-)

ciao
Christian

--
Informationen zur Abmeldung: E-Mail an [hidden email]
Listenarchiv: http://de.libreoffice.org/lists/discuss/
Alle E-Mails an diese Liste werden unlöschbar öffentlich archiviert

Nino Nino
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Piwik statistics → Privacy Policy needs an update

Moin,

nur kleinere Anmerkungen zur deutschen Version:

On Tuesday 21 December 2010 17:33, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
>
> Einsatz von Piwik
> Wir verwenden auf unseren Webseiten die Open Source

s/Open Source/quelloffene/ (fänd ich besser)

> Webanalyse-Software Piwik ein. Daten, die durch Piwik erhoben werden

/werden/werden,/ (Komma)

> sind die IP, der Zeitpunkt und Dauer des Besuchs, die besuchten

/der Zeitpunkt/Zeitpunkt/ ("der" weg)

> Webseiten, verwendeter Browser und Plugins, Suchmaschinen und

/verwendeter/verwendete/ (keine Ahnung, klingt etwas besser)

> Referrer.
> Piwik verwendet einen Cookie um einzelne Benutzer zu unterscheiden,

/Cookie/Cookie,/  (Komma)

> die erhobenen Daten können aber nicht dazu herangezogen werden eine

/werden/werden,/ (Komma)

> bestimmte Person zu identifizieren.
> Die Daten werden ausschließlich zur Verbesserung des Webangebots

/Die Daten/Die erhobenen Daten/

> herangezogen - insbesondere werden die Daten nicht mit Daten aus

/die Daten/sie/

> anderen Quellen abgeglichen und die Daten werden nicht an Dritte

/die Daten/sie/

> weitergegeben. Lediglich anonymisierte, kollektive Analysen der Daten
> werden für die Auswertung verwendet.

(was sind "kollektive Analysen"? evtl. so was wie "verdichtete Daten"?)


> #######
> so comment and suggest better wordings please :-)

done :)

Nino

--
Informationen zur Abmeldung: E-Mail an [hidden email]
Listenarchiv: http://de.libreoffice.org/lists/discuss/
Alle E-Mails an diese Liste werden unlöschbar öffentlich archiviert

Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Piwik statistics → Privacy Policy needs an update

Hi Nino,

2010/12/21 Nino Novak <[hidden email]>:
> nur kleinere Anmerkungen zur deutschen Version:

Vielen Dank dafür!

> [...]
> (was sind "kollektive Analysen"? evtl. so was wie "verdichtete Daten"?)

Ich meinte: Nicht die Daten eines einzelnen Nutzers, sondern die Daten
aller Nutzer werden zusammengefaßt ausgewertet.

Nicht: "einzelner User mit Nummer x hat am Tag X und Y die Seite foo besucht",
sondern "am Tag X und Y haben <soundsoviele> User die Seite foo besucht"

ciao
Christian

--
Informationen zur Abmeldung: E-Mail an [hidden email]
Listenarchiv: http://de.libreoffice.org/lists/discuss/
Alle E-Mails an diese Liste werden unlöschbar öffentlich archiviert

Nino Nino
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Piwik statistics → Privacy Policy needs an update

Hallo Christian,

On Tuesday 21 December 2010 18:06, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

> > [...]
> > (was sind "kollektive Analysen"? evtl. so was wie "verdichtete
> > Daten"?)
>
> Ich meinte: Nicht die Daten eines einzelnen Nutzers, sondern die
> Daten aller Nutzer werden zusammengefaßt ausgewertet.
>
> Nicht: "einzelner User mit Nummer x hat am Tag X und Y die Seite foo
> besucht", sondern "am Tag X und Y haben <soundsoviele> User die Seite
> foo besucht"

und wenn du dafür "zusammengefasste" oder "zusammenfassende Analysen"
schreibst?

(nur um die Verständlichkeit für Gelegenheitssurfer ein wenig zu
erhöhen)

Gruß Nino


--
Informationen zur Abmeldung: E-Mail an [hidden email]
Listenarchiv: http://de.libreoffice.org/lists/discuss/
Alle E-Mails an diese Liste werden unlöschbar öffentlich archiviert

Gisbert Friege Gisbert Friege
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Piwik statistics ? Privacy Policy needs an update

In reply to this post by Nino
Nino Novak schrieb:

> Moin,
>
> nur kleinere Anmerkungen zur deutschen Version:
>
> On Tuesday 21 December 2010 17:33, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
>> Einsatz von Piwik
>> Wir verwenden auf unseren Webseiten die Open Source
>
> s/Open Source/quelloffene/ (fänd ich besser)
>
>> Webanalyse-Software Piwik ein. Daten, die durch Piwik erhoben werden
>
> /werden/werden,/ (Komma)

und
entweder: Wir setzen ... Piwik ein.
oder: Wir verwenden ... Piwik.

Gruß
Gisbert

--
Informationen zur Abmeldung: E-Mail an [hidden email]
Listenarchiv: http://de.libreoffice.org/lists/discuss/
Alle E-Mails an diese Liste werden unlöschbar öffentlich archiviert

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: Piwik statistics → Privacy Policy needs an update

In reply to this post by Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Hi Christian,

thanks a lot for that! May I move some of the text snippets upwards?

Am Dienstag, den 21.12.2010, 17:33 +0100 schrieb Christian Lohmaier:
> Hi *,
>
> as the request did only result in <silence>, here's my proposal:
> (cc german list, as it also contains german text)

<speaking_up>

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Christian Lohmaier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > piwik (web analytics tool - details here http://piwik.org/) will be
> > used for the website(s) the TDF runs to get some usage statistics.
> > Thus the privacy policy needs some love regarding this topic.
>
> This is meant to replace the "Use of Cookies" section:
> #######
> Use of Piwik
> On our website, we use the open source web analysis software Piwik.
> Data collected by Piwik includes IP, time and duration of the visit,
> what pages are visited, used browser and plugins, search-engines and
> referrer.
> While Piwik uses a cookie to distinguish between individual visitors,
> the collected data doesn't allow to identify individuals.
> The collected data will only be used to improve the website -
> especially that data won't be matched with data from other sources,
> and we won't share the collected data with third parties.
> We'll only use anoymized, collective analysis provided by Piwik for
> our evaluation.

Okay, I slightly changed the text ... I put the stuff to the top that
most people might understand easily (we don't do any harm...). The more
detailed stuff is located in the second paragraph.

Since I've also adapted the wording a bit (moving sentences only would
have caused the text to be funny), could you please make sure that it
still conveys the required information? If, and only if, you think this
might be an improvement.

----
Use of Web Analysis Software

To improve the structure and the data we offer on our website, we use
the open-source web analysis software Piwik. Only anonymized and
collective information will be used for our evaluation. The data
provided by Piwik won't be matched with any data from other sources, and
we won't share the data provided by Piwik with third parties.

Data collected by Piwik includes IP, time and duration of the visit,
what pages are visited, used browser and add-ons/plugins, search-engines
and referrer. While Piwik uses a "cookie" to distinguish between
individual visitors, the collected data doesn't allow to identify
individuals.
----

Some more questions:
      * Who will have access to the data (is there any restriction)? Can
        we make sure that nobody uses the data for other purposes?
      * Is this the only data we "track". For example, we might also use
        download statistics - also anonymized, but maybe worth to
        mention if we do this for Piwik.

[German Version Skipped]

> so comment and suggest better wordings please :-)

Thanks a lot, Christian! Both for the text and "making the web work" ;-)

Cheers,
Christoph


--
Informationen zur Abmeldung: E-Mail an [hidden email]
Listenarchiv: http://de.libreoffice.org/lists/discuss/
Alle E-Mails an diese Liste werden unlöschbar öffentlich archiviert
Thomas Hackert Thomas Hackert
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Piwik statistics → Privacy Policy needs an update

In reply to this post by Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Hallo Christian, *,
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 05:33:56PM +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
<schnipp>

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Christian Lohmaier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > piwik (web analytics tool - details here http://piwik.org/) will be
> > used for the website(s) the TDF runs to get some usage statistics.
> > Thus the privacy policy needs some love regarding this topic.
>
> This is meant to replace the "Use of Cookies" section:
> #######
> Use of Piwik
> On our website, we use the open source web analysis software Piwik.
> Data collected by Piwik includes IP, time and duration of the visit,
> what pages are visited, used browser and plugins, search-engines and
> referrer.
> While Piwik uses a cookie to distinguish between individual visitors,
> the collected data doesn't allow to identify individuals.
> The collected data will only be used to improve the website -
> especially that data won't be matched with data from other sources,

nur mal aus Interesse: Wird im Englischen wirklich „won’t be
matched“ benutzt? Ich hätte eher „won’t be compared“ oder so
genommen ... ;)

<schnipp>
> Einsatz von Piwik
> Wir verwenden auf unseren Webseiten die Open Source
> Webanalyse-Software Piwik ein.

Hier hat ja Gisbert schon was zu geschrieben zum „Wir verwenden...“
und das Stichwort „Open Source“ ist ja auch schon gefallen ... ;)

> Daten, die durch Piwik erhoben werden
> sind die IP, der Zeitpunkt und Dauer des Besuchs, die besuchten
> Webseiten, verwendeter Browser und Plugins, Suchmaschinen und
> Referrer.
> Piwik verwendet einen Cookie um einzelne Benutzer zu unterscheiden,

Hier würde ich nach „Cookie“ ein Komma setzen und nach
„unterscheiden“ entweder ein Semikolon oder gar einen Punkt. Sonst
wird der Satz zu lange ... ;)
Einen schönen Restabend noch
Thomas.
<Rest geschnippt>

--
Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers.
                -- Leonard Brandwein

--
Informationen zur Abmeldung: E-Mail an [hidden email]
Listenarchiv: http://de.libreoffice.org/lists/discuss/
Alle E-Mails an diese Liste werden unlöschbar öffentlich archiviert
Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Piwik statistics → Privacy Policy needs an update

Hi Thomas, *;

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Thomas Hackert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hallo Christian, *,
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 05:33:56PM +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> <schnipp>
>> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Christian Lohmaier
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [...]
>> The collected data will only be used to improve the website -
>> especially that data won't be matched with data from other sources,
>
> nur mal aus Interesse: Wird im Englischen wirklich „won’t be
> matched“ benutzt? Ich hätte eher „won’t be compared“ oder so
> genommen ... ;)

compared paßt nicht so wirklich - aber ob "matched" der beste Begriff ist: k.A.
Gemeint ist, daß nichts gemacht wird: Ah, der User XY war hier und da
auf unserer Webseite, <andere Quelle> sagt, der Nutzer hört gerne
klassische Musik, also machen wir daraus "klassikliebhaber" benutzt
unsere Seite.

Die Daten werden also nicht mit anderen Quellen abgeglichen.
"Vergleichen" paßt da nicht. andere Quellen (mal abgesehen davon, daß
wir gar keine anderen Quellen haben), werden nicht in die piwik-Daten
eingearbeitet, nicht anhand anderer Daten/Aspekte ausgewertet,
insbesonders wird nicht daran "geforscht"/ versucht herauszufinden,
was die Person macht, wenn sie nicht gerade auf unserer Seite ist.

> <schnipp>
>> Einsatz von Piwik
>> Wir verwenden auf unseren Webseiten die Open Source
>> Webanalyse-Software Piwik ein.
>
> Hier hat ja Gisbert schon was zu geschrieben zum „Wir verwenden...“

Jup, gut beobachtet.

> und das Stichwort „Open Source“ ist ja auch schon gefallen ... ;)

Da Scheiden sich die Geister :-) CamelCase, auseinander/zusammen,
deutscher Begriff, etc. ich halte mich da erst mal raus :-)

ciao
Christian

--
Informationen zur Abmeldung: E-Mail an [hidden email]
Listenarchiv: http://de.libreoffice.org/lists/discuss/
Alle E-Mails an diese Liste werden unlöschbar öffentlich archiviert

Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-website] Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: Piwik statistics → Privacy Policy needs an update

In reply to this post by Christoph Noack
Hi Christoph, *,

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> thanks a lot for that! May I move some of the text snippets upwards?

Sure - and I'm glad you did :-)

> Am Dienstag, den 21.12.2010, 17:33 +0100 schrieb Christian Lohmaier:
>> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Christian Lohmaier
> [...]
> Since I've also adapted the wording a bit (moving sentences only would
> have caused the text to be funny), could you please make sure that it
> still conveys the required information? If, and only if, you think this
> might be an improvement.

Yes, it definitely is an improvement, and still carries the necessary
information

> Some more questions:
>      * Who will have access to the data (is there any restriction)?

Access to the raw data (the mysql-database): Only the admin-group,
those who have shell-access to the server piwik runs on, similar for
the piwik webinterface (the tool to create the reports/view the
statistics), the same restriction applies, currently even fewer people
have access two it (Florian Effenberger and myself). So unless there's
a bug in piwik that allows unauthorized access to the data, the raw
data will only be available to a very limited group.

>        Can
>        we make sure that nobody uses the data for other purposes?

See above.

Representation data, like piecharts that display the distribution of
the browsers used, or a graph charting the amount of visitors each day
of the last month or similar will not be suitable for use for other
purposes.

>      * Is this the only data we "track". For example, we might also use
>        download statistics - also anonymized, but maybe worth to
>        mention if we do this for Piwik.

piwik has some kind of "download" counter, by matching URLs by their
extension, i.e. if someone klicks a "exe" link on our site, it can be
treated as download, or you can define custom actions/use javascript
to record specific custom events, add "goal" monitoring for example,
but I don't have plans to add such stuff in the short term.

But mirrorbrain has a seperate statistic,  IIRC by just using the
server's access log.

piwik is special as it doesn't just count "the page was requested X
times", but also "the vistitor came from "google" after searching for
"free office software", stayed on the frontpage for 20 seconds, and
left the site after visiting the download page" and also "the visitor
who visited us today already came back to visit some more pages"

(this is while gathering the data, not what ends up in the database)

You can get an idea of what is available for evaluation by using the
piwik demo http://demo.piwik.org/

ciao
Christian

--
Informationen zur Abmeldung: E-Mail an [hidden email]
Listenarchiv: http://de.libreoffice.org/lists/discuss/
Alle E-Mails an diese Liste werden unlöschbar öffentlich archiviert

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-website] Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: Piwik statistics → Privacy Policy needs an update

Hi Christian,

thanks for the fast reply :-)

Am Dienstag, den 21.12.2010, 20:51 +0100 schrieb Christian Lohmaier:
> [...]
> >      * Is this the only data we "track". For example, we might also use
> >        download statistics - also anonymized, but maybe worth to
> >        mention if we do this for Piwik.

[explanation what Piwik counts and the difference to mirrorbrain ]

> You can get an idea of what is available for evaluation by using the
> piwik demo http://demo.piwik.org/

Oh yes, I'm aware of that :-) I was just unsure whether people might
wonder why we use download statistics ... but don't mention them on the
page.

I know it is somehow unlikely, but if people might wonder why we mention
the Piwik analytics, they might think we "hide" more information. That's
what I am worrying about. Basically (since the headline is neutral) we
might add "We also analyze the type and the number of all LibreOffice
downloads to further improve the website experience" (or something like
that).

@ Tom: Without adding some more noise to this list (by sending another
small message) - thanks for your improvements!!!

@ Christian: Thanks! Especially for your reminder ;-)

Cheers,
Christoph


--
Informationen zur Abmeldung: E-Mail an [hidden email]
Listenarchiv: http://de.libreoffice.org/lists/discuss/
Alle E-Mails an diese Liste werden unlöschbar öffentlich archiviert
Thomas Hackert Thomas Hackert
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Piwik statistics → Privacy Policy needs an update

In reply to this post by Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Moin Christian, *,
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 08:12:56PM +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Thomas Hackert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 05:33:56PM +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> > <schnipp>
> >> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Christian Lohmaier
> >> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> The collected data will only be used to improve the website -
> >> especially that data won't be matched with data from other sources,
> >
> > nur mal aus Interesse: Wird im Englischen wirklich „won’t be
> > matched“ benutzt? Ich hätte eher „won’t be compared“ oder so
> > genommen ... ;)
>
> compared paßt nicht so wirklich - aber ob "matched" der beste Begriff ist: k.A.
> Gemeint ist, daß nichts gemacht wird: Ah, der User XY war hier und da
> auf unserer Webseite, <andere Quelle> sagt, der Nutzer hört gerne
> klassische Musik, also machen wir daraus "klassikliebhaber" benutzt
> unsere Seite.

Wie wär’s denn mit „collate“ (i.S.v. vergleichen, kollationieren,
zusammentragen)?

> Die Daten werden also nicht mit anderen Quellen abgeglichen.
> "Vergleichen" paßt da nicht. andere Quellen (mal abgesehen davon, daß
> wir gar keine anderen Quellen haben), werden nicht in die piwik-Daten
> eingearbeitet, nicht anhand anderer Daten/Aspekte ausgewertet,
> insbesonders wird nicht daran "geforscht"/ versucht herauszufinden,
> was die Person macht, wenn sie nicht gerade auf unserer Seite ist.

War mir soweit klar. Allerdings gibt mir ding als Übersetzung für
„matched“ „gleichkommen“, „ebenbürtig sein“, „sich messen mit“,
„übereinstimmen“ und „zusammenpassen“. Und für „matched with“
„anpassen an“, was ja auch nicht so passt ... :(

> > <schnipp>
> >> Einsatz von Piwik
> >> Wir verwenden auf unseren Webseiten die Open Source
> >> Webanalyse-Software Piwik ein.
> >
> > Hier hat ja Gisbert schon was zu geschrieben zum „Wir verwenden...“
>
> Jup, gut beobachtet.
>
> > und das Stichwort „Open Source“ ist ja auch schon gefallen ... ;)
>
> Da Scheiden sich die Geister :-) CamelCase, auseinander/zusammen,
> deutscher Begriff, etc. ich halte mich da erst mal raus :-)

... oder ob statt OpenSource doch eher Freie Software besser ist ...
;)
Bis dann
Thomas.

--
"Ask not what A Group of Employees can do for you. But ask what can
All Employees do for A Group of Employees."
                -- Mike Dennison

--
Informationen zur Abmeldung: E-Mail an [hidden email]
Listenarchiv: http://de.libreoffice.org/lists/discuss/
Alle E-Mails an diese Liste werden unlöschbar öffentlich archiviert