Re: User participation - bugtracking

Friedrich Strohmaier Friedrich Strohmaier

Re: User participation - bugtracking

Hi André, *,

André Schnabel schrieb:
>Am 02.10.2010 22:07, schrieb Friedrich Strohmaier:
>> I heavily support this idea. I also saw different bugtracking
>> systems. None of them can serve users, because all are developer
>> tools to manage bugs and enhancement requests in a effective way.
>> Thus each of them has to represent the complexity of that task.
>> There always will be needed human filtering to avoid messed up
>> bugtracking systems and
>> developers. No problem with an enthusiastic Community ;o)).

>So I read this correctly and you volunteer as bug-filter? :)

Shure, why not? That's already taking place on users mailinglist or dev
mailinglist: someone is reporting "strange behavior". Then it is
filtered whether this is local problem, platform problem or software
problem. Now setting up a report or finding an existing one which is
remembered by someone is something usual. Ubuntu has a bug squad team
which people like to join and help out. Why shouldn't that work with
LibO?

Shure, this is a short term description - nevertheless I think this is
the way to connect userpower and developer power and that one, not to
end up as we did in issuetracker.

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich

Ansprechpartner / contact person for the "PrOOo-Box"
german language OpenOffice.org and more on CD/DVD
http://prooo-box.org

vuhung vuhung

Re: User participation - bugtracking

Hello,

2010/10/3 André Schnabel <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>

> Am 02.10.2010 22:07, schrieb Friedrich Strohmaier:
>

>> I heavily support this idea. I also saw different bugtracking systems.
>> None of them can serve users, because all are developer tools to manage
>> bugs and enhancement requests in a effective way. Thus each of them has
>> to represent the complexity of that task. There always will be needed
>> human filtering to avoid messed up bugtracking systems and
>> developers. No problem with an enthusiastic Community ;o)).
>
> So I read this correctly and you volunteer as bug-filter? :)

# We are using  freedesktop.org's git to manage source code.

So, I assume that we also use its bugzilla as the bug tracking system?

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu [aka: NVH] ( in Vietnamese: Nguyễn Vũ Hưng

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: User participation - bugtracking

Nguyen Vu Hung wrote (02-10-10 23:38)

Indeed: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=LibreOffice

--
  - free OpenOffice.org :: LibreOffice -

Caio Tiago Oliveira Caio Tiago Oliveira

Re: User participation - bugtracking

Cor Nouws, 02-10-2010 19:23:
> Nguyen Vu Hung wrote (02-10-10 23:38)
>
>> # We are using freedesktop.org's git to manage source code.
>>
>> So, I assume that we also use its bugzilla as the bug tracking system?
>>
>> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/
>
> Indeed: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=LibreOffice

Nice. We should customize this page if possible and make it the default
for new users:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=LibreOffice&format=guided

The examples and instructions for browser, mail and mozilla makes me
sad. Also a lot of fields com be just left out.
We should configure this if allowed by FreeDesktop.

Olivier R.-2 Olivier R.-2

Re: User participation - bugtracking

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
vuhung vuhung

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Olivier R. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Le 03/10/2010 00:23, Cor Nouws a écrit :
>
>> Indeed: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=LibreOffice
>
> LibreOffice is a big project and should have his own bugtracker.
> Is there something planned about this?

I think FreeDesktop's bugzilla is good enough for the time being.
This is our *own* bug tracking system.

# I prefer Redmine.org but bugzilla is good *enough*

Is there any better alternative that you recommend?

Raphael Bircher Raphael Bircher

  Am 03.10.10 16:39, schrieb Nguyen Vu Hung:

> On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Olivier R.<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Le 03/10/2010 00:23, Cor Nouws a écrit :
>>
>>> Indeed: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=breOffice
>> LibreOffice is a big project and should have his own bugtracker.
>> Is there something planned about this?
> I think FreeDesktop's bugzilla is good enough for the time being.
> This is our *own* bug tracking system.
>
> # I prefer Redmine.org but bugzilla is good *enough*
>
> Is there any better alternative that you recommend?

Bugzilla is a good bugtracking system but as I know we will change to
our bugzilla. Atm we shere the bugzilla with many other projects.
freedesktop.org is smart for small projects. For LO it's more a
temporary solution.

For your information the issuetracker on the OOo Project has mor as the
duble of Bugs as Freedesktop.org has on all projects ;-)

Charles Marcus Charles Marcus

On 2010-10-02 4:36 PM, André Schnabel wrote:
> On 2010-10-02 4:07 PM, Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:
>> Charles Marcus schrieb:
>>> There needs to be a really easy way for users to report bugs -
>>> then triagers can confirm these bugs, and make sure they get
>>> reported properly in the main system...

>> I heavily support this idea. I also saw different bugtracking
>> systems. None of them can serve users, because all are developer
>> tools to manage bugs and enhancement requests in a effective way.
>> Thus each of them has to represent the complexity of that task.
>> There always will be needed human filtering to avoid messed up
>> bugtracking systems and developers. No problem with an enthusiastic
>> Community ;o)).

> So I read this correctly and you volunteer as bug-filter? :)

Not sure what you mean by 'bug-filter', but I would absolutely volunteer
to help in triaging (confirming it is a real bug/document formatting
problem, making sure it isn't a known issue, etc) end user bug reports
and problem documents.

1. Making it simple for end users to report bugs means more bug reports
will be made, and

2. Providing a way for non-developers to assist in triaging said bug
reports means those bug reports will be filtered/confirmed before being
reported to developers, so less developer time will be wasted
non-developers can make meaningful contributions to the process.

Charles

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: User participation - bugtracking

Hi, :-)

Since there's discussion about the projects future tools, Git at
http://github.com/ could maybe be a good solution. Some would say it
considerably facilitates integrating and managing collaborative
contributions. Trac is also said to be another of the best
new-generation tools for bug-tracking, revision control, etc.

0.2 cents, HTH. :-)

David Nelson

vuhung vuhung

Re: User participation - bugtracking

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 1:41 AM, Charles Marcus
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> So I read this correctly and you volunteer as bug-filter? :)
>
> Not sure what you mean by 'bug-filter', but I would absolutely volunteer
> to help in triaging (confirming it is a real bug/document formatting
> problem, making sure it isn't a known issue, etc) end user bug reports
> and problem documents.

You make the bug understandable and reproducable, get it assigned by develo
pers.

Roman H. Gelbort Roman H. Gelbort

El 02/10/10 17:07, Friedrich Strohmaier escribió:
> I heavily support this idea. I also saw different bugtracking systems.
> None of them can serve users, because all are developer tools to manage
> bugs and enhancement requests in a effective way. Thus each of them has
> to represent the complexity of that task. There always will be needed
> human filtering to avoid messed up bugtracking systems and
> developers. No problem with an enthusiastic Community ;o)).

I agree 100% with this idea!

A team of comunity members can filtering the bugs and report them. How
to do, is subject of that team organization.

Christoph Noack-2 Christoph Noack-2

Re: User participation - bugtracking

Hi all,

what an interesting topic ...

Am Montag, den 04.10.2010, 13:20 -0300 schrieb Roman Gelbort:

> El 02/10/10 17:07, Friedrich Strohmaier escribió:
> > I heavily support this idea. I also saw different bugtracking systems.
> > None of them can serve users, because all are developer tools to manage
> > bugs and enhancement requests in a effective way. Thus each of them has
> > to represent the complexity of that task. There always will be needed
> > human filtering to avoid messed up bugtracking systems and
> > developers. No problem with an enthusiastic Community ;o)).
> >
> I agree 100% with this idea!
>
> A team of comunity members can filtering the bugs and report them. How
> to do, is subject of that team organization.

In a conference I attended this year (more about Human-Machine
Interaction than FLOSS), there has been a presentation about "Who are
the people filing bugs for Mozilla stuff?". The final conclusion: Most
of the bugs are filed by only few people. If an end-user files an bug,
he - most probably - will never do that again. For the latter, several
reasons have been stated, e.g. that this particular person might have
hoped to get a fix (very!) soon.

So yes, I totally second the idea that community members help people to
bridge that gap. Those members would - from my point of view - serve as
an important interface to the developers (which can now focus on fixing
things). Basically, many of the people I know on the users list already
do that ... maybe without knowing how important this is :-)

Bye,
Christoph