Re: Zotero Integration with LO [Proposition / Feature Request?]

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Zotero Integration with LO [Proposition / Feature Request?]

       Could you please explain what is Zotero?

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Anthony Easthope <[hidden email]>wrote:

Hi Guys

> I have a proposition for you all and am not sure if you would class it as
> a feature request or a partnership suggestion.
>
> My idea is as follows:  The Document Foundation partners up with Roy
> Rosenzwieg Center for History and New Media and work together on making The
> Zotero project an integral part of the LibreOffice frame work.
>
> I have the feeling that I might be treading on thin ground here but I will
> outline my reasons as to why this could work below
>
>   * Libreoffice is perfect for use within university's / schools as it can
> be easily distributed thanks to the GNU license the same goes
>     for Zotero
>   * The use of Zotero could replace the inbuilt Bibliography & referencing
> tool as the current one is quite bewildering to use for
>     many people
>   * Zotero has a nice GUI and can work in with Firefox via an extension
> which is also open source so at the same time we are not just
>     supporting one open-source initiative but three!
>   * Zotero is open to suggestions and it appears to other projects as well
>   * Increased awareness of The Document Foundation program via Zotero
> related media attention (Vice Versa for LO and Zotero)
>   * it would bring a fresh feel to the whole project and could even mean a
> new approach and reinvigorate the project
>

> Let me Know what you think and feel free to shoot me down if you so wish!
>

> Regards
>
> Anthony Easthope
>  <[hidden email]>

Steven Shelton Steven Shelton

Re: Zotero Integration with LO [Proposition / Feature Request?]

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Zotero Integration with LO [Proposition / Feature Request?]

       Thanks for this bit of information;
            sounds intriguing ...
                where is the software located?,
               does it contain all the quotes from Barton's and/or Oxford's
Dictionary of Quotations?,
               how much does it cost?,
               does it automatically use the proper footnote and
bibliographic notations?, numbering accordingly?,
              and how complicated is it to operate?, if you've had it, yet
haven't used it makes me wonder re. this program.

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Steven Shelton <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 8/14/2012 9:20 AM, anne-ology wrote:
> > Could you please explain what is Zotero?
>

> It's a research tool that allows you to select quotes and generate
> citations from them. You can generate bibliographies and reports and do
> all kinds of stuff. It looks like something that would really help me,
> and I installed it ages ago, but have never had the time to learn how to
> use it. Given my profession, I would think it could be tremendously
> helpful, so I have it on my list of things to master.  It probably would
> be a good tool to try to integrate into LibO.
>
> - --
> Steven Shelton

marcgrober marcgrober

Re: Zotero Integration with LO [Proposition / Feature Request?]

See zotero.org
You will find a few videos
It is what you might think of as a bibliographic tool. I recommend it to all my students (along with FF and LO.) It also provides for sharing of collaborati libraries. I would have to suggest that the zotero community might appear to be less prone to spatting and more cohesive, and that would be my only heartburn in a closer relationship.....

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

http://www.zotero.org/
>                 does it contain all the quotes from Barton's and/or Oxford's
> Dictionary of Quotations?,
>                 how much does it cost?,
Free, cross platform (Mac, Windows, Linux versions available). Linux
versions may be available in your distro's repository.

--
Jay Lozier

marcgrober marcgrober

Re: Zotero Integration with LO [Proposition / Feature Request?]

Oh,  and I don't know if I want zotero associated with a project that
deletes long standing bugs with a huge amount of detail simply because
they are old, as LO just did.....

Joep L. Blom Joep L. Blom

On 14-08-12 18:57, anne-ology wrote:

>         Thanks for this bit of information;
>              sounds intriguing ...
>                  where is the software located?,
>                 does it contain all the quotes from Barton's and/or Oxford's
> Dictionary of Quotations?,
>                 how much does it cost?,
>                 does it automatically use the proper footnote and
> bibliographic notations?, numbering accordingly?,
>                and how complicated is it to operate?, if you've had it, yet
> haven't used it makes me wonder re. this program.
>

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Steven Shelton <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> On 8/14/2012 9:20 AM, anne-ology wrote:
>>> Could you please explain what is Zotero?
>>

>> It's a research tool that allows you to select quotes and generate
>> citations from them. You can generate bibliographies and reports and do
>> all kinds of stuff. It looks like something that would really help me,
>> and I installed it ages ago, but have never had the time to learn how to
>> use it. Given my profession, I would think it could be tremendously
>> helpful, so I have it on my list of things to master.  It probably would
>> be a good tool to try to integrate into LibO.
>>
>> - --
>> Steven Shelton

Anne,
As you have shown you're a simple windows-user and apparently not very
well in taking initiative. There are 2 possibilities:
1 use Google
2 go to the Zotero-site to educate yourself (http://zoteror.org)
Joep

Tom Tom

Re: Zotero Integration with LO [Proposition / Feature Request?]

I think TDF, just like other companies and organisations, could have more than 1 product.  It might be best if they bring their community and structures with them and retain a lot of independence and work-flow but obviously there might be some things that TDF could offer or would want such projects to incorporate.  I had thought such projects might include database back-ends, Gnome Office (if that needs a home), Calligra Office (although they are probably well organised already).

Probably it's all been discussed on the discussion's list here but this is an exciting time for TDF and there are a lot of opportunities for planning road-maps into the future.

It is what you might think of as a bibliographic tool. I recommend it to all my students (along with FF and LO.) It also provides for sharing of collaborati libraries. I would have to suggest that the zotero community might appear to be less prone to spatting and more cohesive, and that would be my only heartburn in a closer relationship.....

On Aug 14, 2012, at 5:20 AM, anne-ology <[hidden email]> wrote:

>       Could you please explain what is Zotero?
>

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Anthony Easthope <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> Hi Guys
>>
>> I have a proposition for you all and am not sure if you would class it as
>> a feature request or a partnership suggestion.
>>
>> My idea is as follows:  The Document Foundation partners up with Roy
>> Rosenzwieg Center for History and New Media and work together on making The
>> Zotero project an integral part of the LibreOffice frame work.
>>
>> I have the feeling that I might be treading on thin ground here but I will
>> outline my reasons as to why this could work below
>>
>>  * Libreoffice is perfect for use within university's / schools as it can
>> be easily distributed thanks to the GNU license the same goes
>>    for Zotero
>>  * The use of Zotero could replace the inbuilt Bibliography & referencing
>> tool as the current one is quite bewildering to use for
>>    many people
>>  * Zotero has a nice GUI and can work in with Firefox via an extension
>> which is also open source so at the same time we are not just
>>    supporting one open-source initiative but three!
>>  * Zotero is open to suggestions and it appears to other projects as well
>>  * Increased awareness of The Document Foundation program via Zotero
>> related media attention (Vice Versa for LO and Zotero)
>>  * it would bring a fresh feel to the whole project and could even mean a
>> new approach and reinvigorate the project
>>

>> Let me Know what you think and feel free to shoot me down if you so wish!
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Anthony Easthope
>> <[hidden email]>

Anthony Easthope Anthony Easthope

Re: Zotero Integration with LO [Proposition / Feature Request?]

I actually agree with that. It makes sense and will mean more people
will become aware of both projects which is waht I suppose we really
need/want?