Re: keyboard shortcut to navigate tables

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: keyboard shortcut to navigate tables

Ruth Ann wrote
Is there a keyboard shortcut that will let me move from cell to cell in
a table in Writer? I can not find any  mention of one in the help
section, and so far, the only way I know to move the cursor to the next
cell is to use the mouse.
Ruth Ann, Cincinnati, OH USA
Hmm, agree could not find it specifically documented, however the <Ctrl>+<R,L,U orD> cursor movements seem to advance from cell to cell in a Writer table, rather than word to word as in a paragraph.   <Ctrl>+<Home> takes you to first table cell. <Ctrl>+<End> <Ctrl>+<End> takes you to the last cell.

ref:  https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Shortcut_Keys_for_Writer
Ruth Ann Ruth Ann

Re: keyboard shortcut to navigate tables and now labels

<<<<Ctrl>+<R,L,U orD> cursor movements seem to advance from cell to cell
in a Writer table, rather than word to word as in a paragraph.
<Ctrl>+<Home> takes you to first table cell. <Ctrl>+<End> <Ctrl>+<End>
takes you to the last cell.>>>

Thank you, Stuart, that does indeed work. Except I found that <Ctrl>+ U
or D moves me from cell to cell while <Ctrl> R or L moves me to top or
bottom of table.
I am using LO version 4.2.1.1 on Windows 8.

Now for the next question. On a page of labels (specifically
Avery_8160), is there a keyboard shortcut to move from label to label?
Ruth Ann, Cincinnati, OH USA

On 5/1/2014 1:54 PM, V Stuart Foote wrote:

> Ruth Ann wrote
>> Is there a keyboard shortcut that will let me move from cell to cell in
>> a table in Writer? I can not find any  mention of one in the help
>> section, and so far, the only way I know to move the cursor to the next
>> cell is to use the mouse.
>> Ruth Ann, Cincinnati, OH USA
> Hmm, agree could not find it specifically documented, however the
> <Ctrl>+<R,L,U orD> cursor movements seem to advance from cell to cell in a
> Writer table, rather than word to word as in a paragraph.   <Ctrl>+<Home>
> takes you to first table cell. <Ctrl>+<End> <Ctrl>+<End> takes you to the
> last cell.
>
> ref:  https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Shortcut_Keys_for_Writer

*This e-mail is a natural product made from Recycled electrons.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual
character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

Ruth Ann Stewart, Cincinnati, OH
dba Cameo Canine
www.CameoCanine.com

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

Ruth Ann wrote:

> <<<<Ctrl>+<R,L,U orD> cursor movements seem to advance from cell to cell
> in a Writer table, rather than word to word as in a paragraph.
> <Ctrl>+<Home> takes you to first table cell. <Ctrl>+<End> <Ctrl>+<End>
> takes you to the last cell.>>>
>
> Thank you, Stuart, that does indeed work. Except I found that <Ctrl>+ U
> or D moves me from cell to cell while <Ctrl> R or L moves me to top or
> bottom of table.
> I am using LO version 4.2.1.1 on Windows 8.
>
> Now for the next question. On a page of labels (specifically
> Avery_8160), is there a keyboard shortcut to move from label to label?
> Ruth Ann, Cincinnati, OH USA

It looks like the label templates use frames, with a frame for each
label. The following seems to work:
- If you've just been typing in a frame, or don't have one selected at
all, press Shift+F4 to select the next one (or Esc to exit edit mode and
select the one you've been typing in).
- You should now have a frame selected, surrounded by green resize
handles in each corner and on each side.
- Press Tab or Shift+Tab to select a different one if you need to.
- Press F2 to enter edit mode, or just start typing.

Mark.

Ruth Ann Ruth Ann

Re: keyboard shortcut to navigate tables and now labels

Hey Mark,
Thank you! That works great. Before, I had gotten as far as selecting
the frame, but never thought of the tab key to move to the next frame.
Being an old DOS person, I am lost without my keyboard shortcuts. Never
did much like the mouse for this type of work - it seems like it
constantly interrupts my work rhythm :-)
Ruth Ann

--
*This e-mail is a natural product made from Recycled electrons.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual
character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

Ruth Ann Stewart, Cincinnati, OH
dba Cameo Canine
www.CameoCanine.com

TomD TomD

Re: keyboard shortcut to navigate tables and now labels

Hi :)
Tab normally moves forwards and
Shift and Tab
should move backwards.  It works in most forms, spreadsheets and in Writer
tables too.  The only time it doesn't work is in some Access forms or
Reports where the designer hasn't realised the significance and assumes
everyone uses a mouse.

I agree that reaching for the mouse does interrupt work-flow for a lot of
people.  It's funny to see just how dependant people are on it and how
resistant they are to learning to press tab and other other tricks which
have often been around for decades.

On 1 May 2014 21:16, Ruth Ann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Mark,
> Thank you! That works great. Before, I had gotten as far as selecting the
> frame, but never thought of the tab key to move to the next frame.
> Being an old DOS person, I am lost without my keyboard shortcuts. Never
> did much like the mouse for this type of work - it seems like it constantly
> interrupts my work rhythm :-)
> Ruth Ann

>> Ruth Ann wrote:
>>
>>> <<<<Ctrl>+<R,L,U orD> cursor movements seem to advance from cell to cell
>>> in a Writer table, rather than word to word as in a paragraph.
>>> <Ctrl>+<Home> takes you to first table cell. <Ctrl>+<End> <Ctrl>+<End>
>>> takes you to the last cell.>>>
>>>
>>> Thank you, Stuart, that does indeed work. Except I found that <Ctrl>+ U
>>> or D moves me from cell to cell while <Ctrl> R or L moves me to top or
>>> bottom of table.
>>> I am using LO version 4.2.1.1 on Windows 8.
>>>
>>> Now for the next question. On a page of labels (specifically
>>> Avery_8160), is there a keyboard shortcut to move from label to label?
>>> Ruth Ann, Cincinnati, OH USA
>>>

>> It looks like the label templates use frames, with a frame for each
>> label. The following seems to work:
>> - If you've just been typing in a frame, or don't have one selected at
>> all, press Shift+F4 to select the next one (or Esc to exit edit mode and
>> select the one you've been typing in).
>> - You should now have a frame selected, surrounded by green resize
>> handles in each corner and on each side.
>> - Press Tab or Shift+Tab to select a different one if you need to.
>> - Press F2 to enter edit mode, or just start typing.
>>
>> Mark.
>>

> --
> *This e-mail is a natural product made from Recycled electrons.
> The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual
> character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects
>
> Ruth Ann Stewart, Cincinnati, OH
> dba Cameo Canine
> www.CameoCanine.com

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: keyboard shortcut to navigate tables and now labels

       Yet those of us who grew up with typewriters, use that TAB - &
shift-TAB -
           and the arrow keys rather than the mouse  ;-)

       Remembering, all those folks who would say,
           when referring to these computers,
          "it's a passing fad"  ;-)

       Do youngsters of today even know how a typewriter operated? ...
           that white ink was on nearly everyone's desktop ...
              that legal documents had to be clean or run the risk of being
illegitimate if challenged ...

          and making copies was tedious work with those messy carbon papers
strewn between the sheets  ;-)
             and there was no way to make a copy after the document was
typed  ;-)

       What's the difference between olden & antique  ;-)

From: Tom Davies <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, May 1, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: keyboard shortcut to navigate tables
and now labels
To: Ruth Ann <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Ruth Ann Ruth Ann

On 5/1/2014 10:24 PM, anne-ology wrote:
> I agree that reaching for the mouse does interrupt work-flow for a lot of
> people.  It's funny to see just how dependant people are on it and how
> resistant they are to learning to press tab and other other tricks which
> have often been around for decades
Funny, but when I got the new computer with touchscreen, I almost never
touched it. Lately though, as I am getting used to it, when I get
frustrated with reaching for that mouse and looking for the cursor, I
find myself sometimes just touching the screen instead. Must be all that
practice I get on my smart phone, but it actually seems more natural to
me to use the touchscreen than to reach for the mouse. :-)
Ruth Ann, Cincinnati, OH

--
*This e-mail is a natural product made from Recycled electrons.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual
character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

Ruth Ann Stewart, Cincinnati, OH
dba Cameo Canine
www.CameoCanine.com

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: keyboard shortcut to navigate tables and now labels

       touchscreens don't work for me  ;-)
           seems they require the tips of the fingers which tend to be
hidden behind my fingernails  ;-)
       Then they came out with a pointer - mine works sometimes ...
sometimes not ... ... ... ... ... ... ?!?!?
           [I think it may have a mind of its own  ;-) ]

       And just wondering how these youngsters can continually type on
their small things with only their thumbs ...

       All this has me remembering that when 'modern' things came out,
bigger was prized over smaller;
               times sure have changed  ;-)

From: Ruth Ann <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, May 1, 2014 at 10:03 PM