Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Re: [libreoffice-documentation] English videos in help files

Sveinn í Felli-2 Sveinn í Felli-2

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Re: [libreoffice-documentation] English videos in help files

Þann fim 26.apr 2018 08:28, skrifaði Marina Latini:
> It is not appropriate to have lots of amateur legal speculation on this
> list.
> Please, don't discuss these issues here.

I don't think this was just speculation, Sophie gave a concrete example
along with questions about how we should approach the subject; we have a
bunch of guidelines and protocols on how we treat other types of
information/media (e.g. screenshots) - it's time to think about the
how/where/why of video integration in documentation *before* these get
scattered all over the place.
I say this because I've seen some projects go progressively into more
and more video-howtos, with classic documentation lingering.

Best regards,
Sveinn í Felli

> If you have a genuine concern around a legal issue please setup a call
> with Simon or Eike who are responsible for legal topics on the board,
> please provide only the briefest of rational for such a call.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Marina

Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3 Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Re: [libreoffice-documentation] English videos in help files

Missatge de Martin Srebotnjak <[hidden email]> del dia dc., 25 d’abr.
2018 a les 14:56:
> +10000000

> Please, documentation writers and project leaders, try to understand there
> might be l10n issues with introducing fanciful features like this without
> any consultation with l10n teams ... Is it so hard to communicate in
> advance the wonderful features you are preparing and to check out if they
> present any trouble to l10n teams and how to go about those in advance?

> Lp, m.

You can already change the URL of the embedded video in your translation,
so… Moot point?

Also, I don’t get your negativity, Martin. You talk about “project leaders”
not communicating when in fact we are all on the same level. If you ever
had a look at the Git log https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/help/log/
you’ll see that we, translators, are the ones pushing fixes to the help
content. So don’t make it seem like there’s some kind of inexistent
hierarchy of people disconnected with the rest of translators. Maybe you’re
the one who should be asking for more information before spreading this
FUD. Olivier has been quite open about adding videos to help, to give a
pointed example.

Adolfo

Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3 Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Re: [libreoffice-documentation] English videos in help files

> Adolfo,
> Change it to what? To a not yet existing Slovenina subtitles version or to
> a wiki page saying this is actually not a link to video?
> Moot point?

The pages with embedded videos are just in master, so not released to the
public, therefore not a cause for panic. Yes, there is no Slovenian video
now, but we have created video translations before, and I expect that we’ll
be able to translate them well before August. Alternatively, yes, we can
change the URL in Pootle if some team decided to produce their own
video—otherwise I don’t understand why it was exposed to Pootle in the
first place.

> Sure, I will rest my case and stop spreading FUD, cause that is obviously
> what I am doing to this project for the last 20 years ...

You have not been spreading FUD for 20 years. If I recall, you’ve been
providing Slovenian users with a top-notch, perfectly localized version of
a free office suite for the last 20 years. What I do think is that this
thread’s tone became unnecesarily alarming for little reason.

On Sophie’s point about the legality of embedding a video in
French-language pages, that is ultimately a question for our legal
folks[*], but I see no reason why we couldn’t localize that video. In any
case, if it becomes too much of a burden, a simple “git revert” will make
it vanish, and ta-da! Problem solved.

We should be embracing videos; do you really think that all of our users
are willing to read walls of text? Older adults may find it increasingly
difficult to read, for instance, or we could be having some visual learners
out there.
If I learned something from being a teacher, is that different people learn
in different ways. Having content in more formats can only benefit
LibreOffice.

Adolfo.

[*] Slightly off-topic, personal P.S.: France’s language policy is
ridiculous and discriminatory (Remember
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vergonha ?); they wouldn’t even ratify the
European Charter so minorized languages would receive protection…