Re: [tdf-announce] LibreOffice Conference 2014: the program of a landmark event

TomD TomD

Re: [tdf-announce] LibreOffice Conference 2014: the program of a landmark event

Hi :)
Just in case anyone here is not on the "Announce" list i thought i would
re-post this one here.  It's a very low traffic list and all just fyi's but
it often has interesting things that might be helpful.

On 14 August 2014 08:26, Italo Vignoli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Berlin, August 14, 2014 - The program of the LibreOffice Conference
> 2014, which will be held in Bern, Switzerland, from September 3 to
> September 5, is now available at
> https://conference.libreoffice.org/2014/program. Sessions will focus on
> development, community, certification, migrations, training, marketing
> and Open Document Format (ODF).
>
> In addition to the sessions in English, there will be a track in German
> focusing on open source adoptions in governments and enterprises in
> Switzerland, Germany and Austria:
> https://conference.libreoffice.org/2014/professional-user-track.
>
> This track will be opened by Balthasar Glättli, a Member of the
> Parliamentary Group on Digital Sustainability, who will be followed by
> lectures on professional adoptions of free office suites at the Swiss
> Federal Court (350 jobs), in the schools of Geneva, in the city of
> Munich (14,000 jobs), at the LVM Insurance in Münster (13,000 jobs) and
> in the Austrian Ministry of Justice.
>
> Social events will happen in the evenings of September 3, with a
> LibreOffice Hack Night at UniS, and September 4, with a community event
> and key signing party at ISC Club Bern:
> https://conference.libreoffice.org/2014/events.
>
> With a forecasted attendance of 300 community members from around the
> world and over 70 sessions, the LibreOffice Conference will be the
> biggest Open Source Event in Switzerland in 2014.
>
> The conference will be hosted by the University of Bern, and organized
> by CH-Open - the Swiss Open Systems User Group - and the Digital
> Sustainability Research Centre of the University of Bern, in
> coordination with The Document Foundation. The track in German will be
> organized by the Working Group on OSS of the Swiss IT Conference SIK and
> the Working Group on Office Interoperability of the Open Source Business
> Alliance.
>
> LibreOffice Conference 2014 is generously supported by the Hasler
> Foundation and the Civic Community of Bern, and sponsored by:
> Platinum: CloudOn, Collabora and Google;
> Gold: adfinis SyGroup, Canonical, CIB labs, ITOMIG and Studio Storti;
> Silver: Apertura, FOX, Igalia, OpenSUSE, Puzzle ITC, ritualis and
> Univention.
>
> Local Contacts:
> Matthias Stürmer, +41 76 368 81 65, [hidden email]
> Christa Ammann, +41 78 646 83 09, [hidden email]
>
> Short link to TDF blog: http://wp.me/p1byPE-v3.
>
> --
> Italo Vignoli - The Document Foundation
> mob IT +39.348.5653829 - mob EU +39.392.7481795
> sip [hidden email] - skype italovignoli
> hangout / jabber [hidden email]
> email [hidden email]
> GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0
> DB75 1534 3FD0 EA5F 56B5 FDA6 DE82 934C AAB8 D5C0

sophi sophi

Re: [tdf-announce] LibreOffice Conference 2014: the program of a landmark event

Hi Tom,
Le 14/08/2014 09:41, Tom Davies a écrit :
> Hi :)
> Just in case anyone here is not on the "Announce" list i thought i would
> re-post this one here.  It's a very low traffic list and all just fyi's but
> it often has interesting things that might be helpful.

Thanks for the forward, but we want to keep this list only for the help
on using LibreOffice for our readers who are only interested in this
topic, so please next time post it on the discuss@ list. Thanks!
Kind regards
Sophie

TomD TomD

Re: [tdf-announce] LibreOffice Conference 2014: the program of a landmark event

Hi :)
People on this mailing list might not be on any other list.

People who ARE on the discuss list are quite likely to already be on the
announce list and probably quite a few others.

sophi sophi

Le 14/08/2014 09:53, Tom Davies a écrit :
> Hi :)
> People on this mailing list might not be on any other list.
>
> People who ARE on the discuss list are quite likely to already be on the
> announce list and probably quite a few others.

You are guessing at the risk to annoy users who are not interested by
other things than help. This list has a high traffic (and get more and
more) and should be kept on topic to stay efficient for readers and get
its archive clean to search in it. Thanks!

Kind regards
Sophie

TomD TomD

Re: [tdf-announce] LibreOffice Conference 2014: the program of a landmark event

Hi :)
This mailing list so for people to come in and ask a single question.
People here have often said they were unaware there are other lists and
that they could get involved in other ways.

It used to be a MUCH higher traffic list and that seemed to attract more
people

On 14 August 2014 08:58, Sophie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 14/08/2014 09:53, Tom Davies a écrit :
> > Hi :)
> > People on this mailing list might not be on any other list.
> >
> > People who ARE on the discuss list are quite likely to already be on the
> > announce list and probably quite a few others.
>
> You are guessing at the risk to annoy users who are not interested by
> other things than help. This list has a high traffic (and get more and
> more) and should be kept on topic to stay efficient for readers and get
> its archive clean to search in it. Thanks!
>
> Kind regards
> Sophie

Paul Steyn Paul Steyn

Re: [tdf-announce] LibreOffice Conference 2014: the program of a landmark event

Just a lone voice, but as Tom pointed out, I am only on this list, and
not on either the discuss or announce lists.

Now, I don't really have much interest in the Conference, so Tom
posting that here doesn't affect me much, but equally I certainly don't
mind him posting that here.

I'm a user, on the users list, and some of the discussions on this list
that are considered "off-topic" do interest me, and I feel should be
brought out into the open, even if they're not purely about helping
other users with problems.

Any users that post to the list with questions get answers fairly
regularly and fairly promptly, so I don't see that this list is in any
way failing in its purpose. And I don't see that some extra cross-talk
on the list can be in any way detrimental. To the contrary, better that
than than an empty, silent ghost-list, like some I've seen. You can
almost hear the tumbleweed blowing about in those lists. I think the
community here is helpful, friendly and lively, and one of the best
mailing lists I've ever been on, so I for one consider it unnecessary
to stay focused purely on support issues.

Just my thoughts.

Paul

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 09:58:50 +0200
Sophie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 14/08/2014 09:53, Tom Davies a écrit :
> > Hi :)
> > People on this mailing list might not be on any other list.
> >
> > People who ARE on the discuss list are quite likely to already be
> > on the announce list and probably quite a few others.
>
> You are guessing at the risk to annoy users who are not interested by
> other things than help. This list has a high traffic (and get more and
> more) and should be kept on topic to stay efficient for readers and
> get its archive clean to search in it. Thanks!
>
> Kind regards
> Sophie

Rob Rob

Re: [tdf-announce] LibreOffice Conference 2014: the program of a landmark event

Agree,
same here

Rob.

Op 14 aug. 2014, om 12:32 heeft Paul het volgende geschreven:

> Just a lone voice, but as Tom pointed out, I am only on this list, and
> not on either the discuss or announce lists.
>
> Now, I don't really have much interest in the Conference, so Tom
> posting that here doesn't affect me much, but equally I certainly don't
> mind him posting that here.
>
> I'm a user, on the users list, and some of the discussions on this list
> that are considered "off-topic" do interest me, and I feel should be
> brought out into the open, even if they're not purely about helping
> other users with problems.
>
> Any users that post to the list with questions get answers fairly
> regularly and fairly promptly, so I don't see that this list is in any
> way failing in its purpose. And I don't see that some extra cross-talk
> on the list can be in any way detrimental. To the contrary, better that
> than than an empty, silent ghost-list, like some I've seen. You can
> almost hear the tumbleweed blowing about in those lists. I think the
> community here is helpful, friendly and lively, and one of the best
> mailing lists I've ever been on, so I for one consider it unnecessary
> to stay focused purely on support issues.
>
> Just my thoughts.
>

> Paul
>

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 09:58:50 +0200
> Sophie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Le 14/08/2014 09:53, Tom Davies a écrit :
>>> Hi :)
>>> People on this mailing list might not be on any other list.
>>>
>>> People who ARE on the discuss list are quite likely to already be
>>> on the announce list and probably quite a few others.
>>
>> You are guessing at the risk to annoy users who are not interested by
>> other things than help. This list has a high traffic (and get more and
>> more) and should be kept on topic to stay efficient for readers and
>> get its archive clean to search in it. Thanks!
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Sophie

Ruth Ann Ruth Ann

discuss list

Could someone please post a link to the discuss list? I am not sure I am
on it, but would like to be.
Ruth Ann, Cincinnati, OH USA

On 8/14/2014 3:53 AM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> People on this mailing list might not be on any other list.
>
> People who ARE on the discuss list are quite likely to already be on the
> announce list and probably quite a few others.
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>

> Ruth Ann Stewart, Cincinnati, OH
> dba Cameo Canine
> www.CameoCanine.com

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: discuss list

Sure. On this page you will not only find the discuss mailing list link,
but also to others.
Of note : the Board Discuss, where the board of the foundation publishes
decisions, votes, etc.

Other lists such as the localization, website, marketing, etc are also
listed: http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/#lists

Hope this helps,

Charles.

jdh111 jdh111

On 08/14/2014 12:32 PM, Paul wrote:
> Just a lone voice, but as Tom pointed out, I am only on this list, and
> not on either the discuss or announce lists.
>
> Now, I don't really have much interest in the Conference, so Tom
> posting that here doesn't affect me much, but equally I certainly don't
> mind him posting that here.
Concur! A conference or convention announcement is certainly not as
disruptive as some of the other off-topic conversations bloating this
list...
Just my 2 cents.

> I'm a user, on the users list, and some of the discussions on this list
> that are considered "off-topic" do interest me, and I feel should be
> brought out into the open, even if they're not purely about helping
> other users with problems.
>
> Any users that post to the list with questions get answers fairly
> regularly and fairly promptly, so I don't see that this list is in any
> way failing in its purpose. And I don't see that some extra cross-talk
> on the list can be in any way detrimental. To the contrary, better that
> than than an empty, silent ghost-list, like some I've seen. You can
> almost hear the tumbleweed blowing about in those lists. I think the
> community here is helpful, friendly and lively, and one of the best
> mailing lists I've ever been on, so I for one consider it unnecessary
> to stay focused purely on support issues.
>
> Just my thoughts.
>

> Paul
>

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 09:58:50 +0200
> Sophie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Le 14/08/2014 09:53, Tom Davies a écrit :
>>> Hi :)
>>> People on this mailing list might not be on any other list.
>>>
>>> People who ARE on the discuss list are quite likely to already be
>>> on the announce list and probably quite a few others.
>> You are guessing at the risk to annoy users who are not interested by
>> other things than help. This list has a high traffic (and get more and
>> more) and should be kept on topic to stay efficient for readers and
>> get its archive clean to search in it. Thanks!
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Sophie

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: [tdf-announce] ...

At 08:53 14/08/2014 +0100, Tom Davies wrote:
>People on this mailing list might not be on any other list.

And why might that be? Occam's Razor would tell us that they choose
not to receive messages from those other lists. I hope you can appreciate this.

>People who ARE on the discuss list are quite likely to already be on
>the announce list and probably quite a few others.

You have been asked - very politely, I might add - not to forward
such messages to this list. All that remains is to see if you are
prepared to co-operate. I'm disappointed that you seem so far to have
been unable to commit to doing so.

Brian Barker

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: [tdf-announce] ...

At 12:32 14/08/2014 +0200, Paul Steyn wrote:
>Just a lone voice, but as Tom pointed out, I am only on this list,
>and not on either the discuss or announce lists.

If you want to see those messages, please subscribe to those lists.
If you don't, don't. If you want to borrow books, join the library;
don't expect others to borrow them for you.

At 12:37 14/08/2014 +0200, Rob Jasper wrote:
>Agree, same here

I'm sure the other lists would welcome you too. If you like concerts,
join the concert hall mailing list.

At 17:34 14/08/2014 +0200, John Herron wrote:
>Concur! A conference or convention announcement is certainly not as
>disruptive as some of the other off-topic conversations bloating
>this list... Just my 2 cents.

I'm currently preparing a list of other mailing lists whose messages
I can "helpfully" forward to this list. Let's see, now:
bird-spotting, bee-keeping, ...

Brian Barker

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: [tdf-announce] ...

       curiously wondering when you became hall-monitor  ;-)

From: Brian Barker <[hidden email]>
Date: Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 12:23 AM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: [tdf-announce] ...
To: [hidden email]

At 12:32 14/08/2014 +0200, Paul Steyn wrote:

> Just a lone voice, but as Tom pointed out, I am only on this list, and not
> on either the discuss or announce lists.

If you want to see those messages, please subscribe to those lists. If you
don't, don't. If you want to borrow books, join the library; don't expect
others to borrow them for you.

At 12:37 14/08/2014 +0200, Rob Jasper wrote:

> Agree, same here

I'm sure the other lists would welcome you too. If you like concerts, join
the concert hall mailing list.

At 17:34 14/08/2014 +0200, John Herron wrote:

> Concur! A conference or convention announcement is certainly not as
> disruptive as some of the other off-topic conversations bloating this
> list... Just my 2 cents.

I'm currently preparing a list of other mailing lists whose messages I can
"helpfully" forward to this list. Let's see, now: bird-spotting,
bee-keeping, ...

Brian Barker

Rob Rob

Re: [tdf-announce] ...

Brian,

I think there is no need to become harsh here.

I for myself am using LibreOffice for as long as it exists, and before that OpenOffice. Rather recently I 'found' this list when I had a problem with LibreOffice and I was really happy with the help I got. I was on aware of the other lists before this whole discussion came around. And yes, I am subscribed to some other lists now!

So, the posting, although strictly not for this list, had its value (at least for me).

Wouldn't it be a good idea to reference a page with all lists in the standard footer on the mails from the list.
Also, one could argue that anyone on any list is probably also interested in the announce list, so, we could also prompt (or add) people to that list automatically apon subscribing to any other list. Just a thought :-)

Best regards,

Rob.

Op 15 aug. 2014, om 07:23 heeft Brian Barker het volgende geschreven:

> At 12:32 14/08/2014 +0200, Paul Steyn wrote:
>> Just a lone voice, but as Tom pointed out, I am only on this list, and not on either the discuss or announce lists.
>
> If you want to see those messages, please subscribe to those lists. If you don't, don't. If you want to borrow books, join the library; don't expect others to borrow them for you.
>
> At 12:37 14/08/2014 +0200, Rob Jasper wrote:
>> Agree, same here
>
> I'm sure the other lists would welcome you too. If you like concerts, join the concert hall mailing list.
>
> At 17:34 14/08/2014 +0200, John Herron wrote:
>> Concur! A conference or convention announcement is certainly not as disruptive as some of the other off-topic conversations bloating this list... Just my 2 cents.
>
> I'm currently preparing a list of other mailing lists whose messages I can "helpfully" forward to this list. Let's see, now: bird-spotting, bee-keeping, ...
>
> Brian Barker

Felmon Davis Felmon Davis

Re: [tdf-announce] ...

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014, anne-ology wrote:

>       curiously wondering when you became hall-monitor  ;-)

the discussion is getting silly and an issue of etiquette is now
running the risk of serious logic abuse.

every list I know of has the occasional strictly OT posts. and as Rob
Jasper points out they can serve a good purpose (and some of us are
interested in them).

if kept within bounds I can't see the harm and they certainly
shorter-lived and less harmful than this discussion!

I add to it in the hope of contributing to its end!

F.

--
Felmon Davis

I live the way I type; fast, with a lot of mistakes.

jerryvb jerryvb

Re: [tdf-announce] ...

I am just a lone user of LibreOffice. I joined this list in the hopes
of learning more about it and how to use it more efficiently. These
kinds of conversations do not belong on this list and quite frankly,
waste my time. I would like to suggest that if anyone wants to send an
off topic message to this list, just insert [OT] at the beginning of
the subject line. That way, I can readily delete it without wasting
any time, opening and reading it. I do not say this to pinpoint
anyone, just a suggestion to help make reading the list more
efficient.

After typing the above paragraph, I went to find out how to insert
[OT] in the subject line. Cannot be done here in Gmail on a Reply
message. But, it certainly could be done on an original message (from
Gmail, that is).

Best,
jv

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Felmon Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014, anne-ology wrote:
>
>>       curiously wondering when you became hall-monitor  ;-)
>

> the discussion is getting silly and an issue of etiquette is now running the
> risk of serious logic abuse.
>
> every list I know of has the occasional strictly OT posts. and as Rob Jasper
> points out they can serve a good purpose (and some of us are interested in
> them).
>
> if kept within bounds I can't see the harm and they certainly shorter-lived
> and less harmful than this discussion!
>
> I add to it in the hope of contributing to its end!
>
> F.
>
> --
> Felmon Davis
>
> I live the way I type; fast, with a lot of mistakes.

Jerry Van Brimmer

Felmon Davis Felmon Davis

[OT] Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: [tdf-announce] ...

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014, "J. Van Brimmer" wrote:

> I am just a lone user of LibreOffice. I joined this list in the hopes
> of learning more about it and how to use it more efficiently. These
> kinds of conversations do not belong on this list and quite frankly,
> waste my time. I would like to suggest that if anyone wants to send an
> off topic message to this list, just insert [OT] at the beginning of
> the subject line. That way, I can readily delete it without wasting
> any time, opening and reading it. I do not say this to pinpoint
> anyone, just a suggestion to help make reading the list more
> efficient.
>
> After typing the above paragraph, I went to find out how to insert
> [OT] in the subject line. Cannot be done here in Gmail on a Reply
> message. But, it certainly could be done on an original message (from
> Gmail, that is).

it should be possible on gmail. there's a funny left-pointing arrow
indicating reply. there is also a very small downward pointing arrow -
click on that for a drop-down menu which includes 'edit subject' or
the equivalent for your locale.

f.

> On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Felmon Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014, anne-ology wrote:
>>
>>>       curiously wondering when you became hall-monitor  ;-)
>>

>> the discussion is getting silly and an issue of etiquette is now running the
>> risk of serious logic abuse.
>>
>> every list I know of has the occasional strictly OT posts. and as Rob Jasper
>> points out they can serve a good purpose (and some of us are interested in
>> them).
>>
>> if kept within bounds I can't see the harm and they certainly shorter-lived
>> and less harmful than this discussion!
>>
>> I add to it in the hope of contributing to its end!
>>
>> F.
>>
>> --
>> Felmon Davis
>>
>> I live the way I type; fast, with a lot of mistakes.

>> deleted
>>

> --
> Jerry Van Brimmer

Felmon Davis

When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite.  -- Winston Churchill