Re:[tdf-discuss] Best time for Conference Calls

Joe Rotello Joe Rotello

Re:[tdf-discuss] Best time for Conference Calls

Michael  and others...

Speaking of conference calls or "live conferences with live calls" if
you will...

Worldwide especially, why not consider engaging some or all users using
Skype audio, or perhaps those that can, use the Skype long-distance
calling potential ?

It's NOT the 100% answer-all, but might be useful and further the
process, etc.

Joe Rotello / WindowGroup
Knoxville, TN / USA
Skype: joerotello

On 1/30/2011 12:00 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Subject:
> [tdf-discuss] Best time for Conference Calls
> From:
> Michael Wheatland <[hidden email]>
> Date:
> Sun, 30 Jan 2011 17:35:06 +0930
>
> To:
> [hidden email]
>

> I thought I would put forward a view regarding the best time for
> conference calls being held world wide.
> The current situation regarding the conference calls is such that the
> people situated in South-East Asia and Australia need to be awake at
> 3-4AM to attend the calls.
>
> Might I suggest That we move the times earlier in the day to around
> 1200-1400 GMT.
> http://www.wheatland.com.au/sites/default/files/files/BestTimeCalling.PNG
>
> As far as I can see this would exclude the least number of people
> around the world from attending the calls.
>
> What do others think?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael Wheatland

Alexandro Colorado Alexandro Colorado

Re: Best time for Conference Calls

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 7:50 AM, Joe Rotello <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Michael  and others...
>
> Speaking of conference calls or "live conferences with live calls" if you
> will...
>
> Worldwide especially, why not consider engaging some or all users using
> Skype audio, or perhaps those that can, use the Skype long-distance calling
> potential ?
>
> It's NOT the 100% answer-all, but might be useful and further the process,
> etc.

I would suggest a more democratic and independent way to access the
resource. For IRC for example, you can just join in whenever of the day you
wish to. I would recommend just launching the initiative with a set date for
ASIA and whoever makes it, join in. The issue here is that most of the
infrastructure is very locked to the subscriber (Florian) as opposed to IRC
which you can join without needing the admin to be present.

There is no easy solution unfortunately, except maybe having a pre-registry
of the room. This will allow florian to send the information via email and
have it schedule to the regional group needs. Same thing will go for America
where the US marketing group or others could do the same for their groups.

> Joe Rotello / WindowGroup
> Knoxville, TN / USA
> Skype: joerotello
>
> On 1/30/2011 12:00 PM, [hidden email]<discuss%[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Subject:
>> [tdf-discuss] Best time for Conference Calls
>>
>> Michael Wheatland <[hidden email]>
>> Date:
>> Sun, 30 Jan 2011 17:35:06 +0930
>>
>> To:
>> [hidden email]
>>

>> I thought I would put forward a view regarding the best time for
>> conference calls being held world wide.
>> The current situation regarding the conference calls is such that the
>> people situated in South-East Asia and Australia need to be awake at
>> 3-4AM to attend the calls.
>>
>> Might I suggest That we move the times earlier in the day to around
>> 1200-1400 GMT.
>> http://www.wheatland.com.au/sites/default/files/files/BestTimeCalling.PNG
>>
>> As far as I can see this would exclude the least number of people
>> around the world from attending the calls.
>>
>> What do others think?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michael Wheatland

*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* EspaƱol
http://es.openoffice.org

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: Best time for Conference Calls

Hi,

Alexandro Colorado wrote on 2011-01-31 17.48:

> I would suggest a more democratic and independent way to access the
> resource. For IRC for example, you can just join in whenever of the day you
> wish to. I would recommend just launching the initiative with a set date for
> ASIA and whoever makes it, join in. The issue here is that most of the
> infrastructure is very locked to the subscriber (Florian) as opposed to IRC
> which you can join without needing the admin to be present.
>
> There is no easy solution unfortunately, except maybe having a pre-registry
> of the room. This will allow florian to send the information via email and
> have it schedule to the regional group needs. Same thing will go for America
> where the US marketing group or others could do the same for their groups.

sadly, the room is indeed tie one account, so shared managing is not
possible. However, if someone pings me in time, I can happily give out
access credentials for people to dial-in.

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Eric Olander Eric Olander

unubscribe

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:50:36 -0500, Joe Rotello
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael  and others...
>
> Speaking of conference calls or "live conferences with live calls" if
> you will...
>
> Worldwide especially, why not consider engaging some or all users using
> Skype audio, or perhaps those that can, use the Skype long-distance
> calling potential ?
>
> It's NOT the 100% answer-all, but might be useful and further the
> process, etc.
>
> Joe Rotello / WindowGroup
> Knoxville, TN / USA
> Skype: joerotello

>> Subject:
>> [tdf-discuss] Best time for Conference Calls
>> From:
>> Michael Wheatland <[hidden email]>
>> Date:
>> Sun, 30 Jan 2011 17:35:06 +0930
>>
>> To:
>> [hidden email]
>>

>> I thought I would put forward a view regarding the best time for
>> conference calls being held world wide.
>> The current situation regarding the conference calls is such that the
>> people situated in South-East Asia and Australia need to be awake at
>> 3-4AM to attend the calls.
>>
>> Might I suggest That we move the times earlier in the day to around
>> 1200-1400 GMT.
>> http://www.wheatland.com.au/sites/default/files/files/BestTimeCalling.PNG
>>
>> As far as I can see this would exclude the least number of people
>> around the world from attending the calls.
>>
>> What do others think?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michael Wheatland

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: unubscribe

Eric Olander wrote on 2011-02-02 15.32:

Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Best time for Conference Calls

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:06 AM, Florian Effenberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Alexandro Colorado wrote on 2011-01-31 17.48:
>>
>> I would suggest a more democratic and independent way to access the
>> resource. For IRC for example, you can just join in whenever of the day
>> you
>> wish to. I would recommend just launching the initiative with a set date
>> for
>> ASIA and whoever makes it, join in. The issue here is that most of the
>> infrastructure is very locked to the subscriber (Florian) as opposed to
>> IRC
>> which you can join without needing the admin to be present.
>>
>> There is no easy solution unfortunately, except maybe having a
>> pre-registry
>> of the room. This will allow florian to send the information via email and
>> have it schedule to the regional group needs. Same thing will go for
>> America
>> where the US marketing group or others could do the same for their groups.
>
> sadly, the room is indeed tie one account, so shared managing is not
> possible. However, if someone pings me in time, I can happily give out
> access credentials for people to dial-in.
>
> Florian

Is Talkyoo a free service? This would allow others to establish
accounts and host calls.
The alternative is Skype, which I am a BIG fan of, which now supports
group calling.

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Alternative communication platform (was: Re: [tdf-discuss] Best time for Conference Calls)

Hi Michael, all!

Am Donnerstag, den 03.02.2011, 03:28 +0930 schrieb Michael Wheatland:

> Is Talkyoo a free service? This would allow others to establish
> accounts and host calls.
> The alternative is Skype, which I am a BIG fan of, which now supports
> group calling.

Although I cannot answer the first question, I can say that I know some
people (including myself) who feel not comfortable by using Skype
(closed source, closed communication protocol, somehow bypasses most
firewalls...), although it works nearly everywhere (in terms of network
infrastructure).

Enough ranting ... you may remember that I talked about an open platform
that provides text, voice, video, whiteboard capabilities in different
virtual meeting rooms, and that (when the call has been finished) also
provides a downloadable video. It also provides (limited) managing of
people's schedules, so maybe we can give it a try - a test installation?
What do you think?

Project page & videos:
http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openmeetings

Demo Portal:
http://www.openmeetings.de/openmeetings/

If this really would work, it would be a great resource for the whole
community, I think.

Cheers,
Christoph

Michael Wheatland wrote on 2011-02-02 18.58:
> Is Talkyoo a free service? This would allow others to establish
> accounts and host calls.

no, unfortunately, it costs, but we are sponsored.

> The alternative is Skype, which I am a BIG fan of, which now supports
> group calling.

Skype sucks. :-( Text conferencing works, but as soon as you start voice
calls, you need to open up big holes in your firewall. :(

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: Alternative communication platform

Christoph Noack wrote on 2011-02-02 19.14:

> Enough ranting ... you may remember that I talked about an open platform
> that provides text, voice, video, whiteboard capabilities in different
> virtual meeting rooms, and that (when the call has been finished) also
> provides a downloadable video. It also provides (limited) managing of
> people's schedules, so maybe we can give it a try - a test installation?
> What do you think?

honestly, I think right now it's wasted time and resources. We have a
more or less working conferencing service (in fact, we only had one real
outage), that can be used with any phone.

We can look into other solutions when we have more money, hardware, and
time - but until then, I propose we work on real important issues. :)

Just my two cents,
Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Alternative communication platform (was: Re: [tdf-discuss] Best time for Conference Calls)

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:44 AM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Enough ranting ... you may remember that I talked about an open platform
> that provides text, voice, video, whiteboard capabilities in different
> virtual meeting rooms, and that (when the call has been finished) also
> provides a downloadable video. It also provides (limited) managing of
> people's schedules, so maybe we can give it a try - a test installation?
> What do you think?
>
> Project page & videos:
> http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/
> If this really would work, it would be a great resource for the whole
> community, I think.

I think that any move to a well built open source product is very
progressive for our community.
Not sure if you have the time for this at the moment, I know that I am
snowed under with work so I am only just getting enough time to do a
little work on the current site.

I watched the video and I like the concept. I am sure there are many
alternatives out there, including Google's open source Wave server
based on the XMPP protocol.
Having said that, we can't just stop ranting. If you/we want to setup
a system like this then analysis has to be done to determine the best
product as well as resources and time put into setting it up.

If you want to setup a demonstration server I am sure there will be
people interested in trying it out for a time to evaluate the benefit
to the community.

Michael Wheatland

Christoph Noack-2 Christoph Noack-2

Re: Alternative communication platform (was: Re: [tdf-discuss] Best time for Conference Calls)

Hi Michael!

Am Donnerstag, den 03.02.2011, 19:11 +0930 schrieb Michael Wheatland:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:44 AM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Enough ranting ... you may remember that I talked about an open platform
> > that provides text, voice, video, whiteboard capabilities in different
> > virtual meeting rooms, and that (when the call has been finished) also
> > provides a downloadable video. It also provides (limited) managing of
> > people's schedules, so maybe we can give it a try - a test installation?
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Project page & videos:
> > http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/
> > If this really would work, it would be a great resource for the whole
> > community, I think.
>
> I think that any move to a well built open source product is very
> progressive for our community.
> Not sure if you have the time for this at the moment, I know that I am
> snowed under with work so I am only just getting enough time to do a
> little work on the current site.

Okay, understandable - same for me with the Design Team and its topics,
I love to work with / on.

[...]

> If you want to setup a demonstration server I am sure there will be
> people interested in trying it out for a time to evaluate the benefit
> to the community.

Well, I think I trust Florian's comment that this might not be as urgent
as other things (I'm still delaying the FOSDEM talk preparation, grrr).
But since you asked whether the phone conference system is the single
one, I thought it might be helpful for the website guys.

Cheers,
Christoph