Re: [tdf-discuss] LibO program icon brainstorming

12 « Prev
yorick yorick

Re: Branding Color Refinement Step 1 of n (was: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [tdf-discuss] LibO program icon brainstorming)

On Tuesday 02 Nov 2010 11:04:40 Christoph Noack wrote:

> Hi Ivan!
>
> Am Freitag, den 29.10.2010, 17:19 +1300 schrieb Ivan M.:
> > > Could you provide better color tones for the lighter greens (and
> >
> > others?).
> >
> > > Even if it would be possible to change them later too, the sooner
> >
> > the better
> >
> > > for everybody using these colors for her/his artwork and design.
> >
> > I have uploaded a second (high resolution) draft showing a possible
> > color scheme [1]. The current LibreOffice green is the same. My
> > suggestion is to have one 'off' color for each set to add some flavor.
> > So, for green, there's lime, for blue it's something light headed
> > toward aqua, for maroon it's pink... whether it works or not is for
> > you all to decide :)
>
> Well, it seems that I accidentally skipped this paragraph for the first
> time. Then I'd like to say "sorry" for the weird questions last time :-\
>
> However, I picked your file and made up a slightly different version of
> the branding colors. Less vivid (a.k.a. "acid" *g*) ... so please have a
> look at:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Ideas#Refined_LibreOffice_Bran
> ding_Colors
>
> I know that it is still a bit conservative (without your "off" colors
> which might be re-added), but might that work? I would like to finalize
> this discussion (as a rather agreed branding color version 1.0) before
> we release the presentation template ... soon :-)
>
> Any other opinions, agreement, disagreement, comments, ... ?
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

I'll just add this that I posted to the discuss list.  Sorry, everything on so
few lists is getting harder to keep track of
As a general comment, I am impressed as hell with the logo and the Docu
 bug, it's simple, strong, indicative, unique and instantly recognisable.
 If I had one criticism is that the Docu bug would be better as a grey
 rather than black.  The black on white background is a little harsh.  I
 note that this has been obvious to the creators as well because the Docu
 bug always seems to be displayed on light grey BG which diffuses  that
 harshness.  A CMYK value of around 10.0.0.44. looks good and from a visual
 marketing POV has a more sophisticated reliable and modern feel.

A proposal here
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibreOfficeLogoMod_yo.png

"Silver" and Green would be a good combination in the logo imho.  In
combination these invoke trustworthiness, efficiency and reliability.  The
lighter green also gives the brand freshness.

cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org

yorick yorick

On Tuesday 02 Nov 2010 11:50:21 Ivan M. wrote:

> Hi Jens, Christoph, all,
>
> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Jens Habermann
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >[...]
> >
> > Colors are fine, but maybe we also should add a grey row with four
> > greyshades...
>
> That's a good point. Graham's email reply to this (earlier) topic
> suggested a somewhat lighter gray for the LibreOffice logo [1] (a bit
> too light for my liking).

I admit to being a little ambivalent about the lightness myself, but I went
for something that would work on a dark background as well.   Having said
that, while I'm not welded to that level, the lighter grey is good from a
purely marketing POV

> I also remember one of the things a few of
> us asked for in the new OOo logo was a dark grey color instead of
> black, so I'm surprised that the LibreOffice logo is #000000... any
> chance of changing this as well?
>
> Regards,
> Ivan.
>
> [1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibreOfficeLogoMod_yo.png

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Branding Color Refinement Step 2 of n (was: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [tdf-discuss] LibO program icon brainstorming)

Hi Drew, all!

After some initial agreement on the roadmap, I'd like to come to a
conclusion concerning the LibreOffice colors - if possible - very soon.
As I said, we need the "initial branding" for the LibO 3.3 - the
"community branding" is still planned to be worked out very carefully
later on.

I continue this discussion in this mail ...

Am Montag, den 01.11.2010, 19:02 -0400 schrieb Drew Jensen:
> On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 23:36 +0100, Christoph Noack wrote:
> > Hi Jens!
> >
> > Am Montag, den 01.11.2010, 23:22 +0100 schrieb Jens Habermann:
> >
> > [Refined color proposal]

> Hi chris,
>
> I updated this page:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Ideas#Refined_LibreOffice_Branding_Colors
>
> With another idea for the colors - a mix of the two ideas so far.

Thanks! As far as I can see, we now have both colors using equal and
different color values. I fear that people might be confused with that,
but I also agree that the recent color designs are somehow incomplete
and we might require both. So let's pick your proposal and extend it a
bit ... okay? By the way, what is Joyce (you mentioned it on the wiki
page)?

I also got some other suggestions/requirements (in a - more or less by
accident - private discussion). First, Bernhard proposed to add darker
colors (e.g. for shadows). This matches nicely with Ivan's initial
proposal that also featured darker colors.

Second, Bernhard proposed (because there are more and more colors)
categories - e.g. primary, or secondary colors. I like this idea!

Furthermore, I re-worked some of my designs in the last days. You may
have noticed that, since the draft graphic changed frequently. Finally,
there were rather conservative colors - no more "acid" colors. But
thinking about Ivan's off-color proposal and also some vibrant (joy!)
messages, I re-added some matching the original color tones.

So please have a look at the current proposal (decent colors, vivid
colors, different shadings, gray not shown but contained in the
palettes):
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Ideas#Refined_LibreOffice_Branding_Colors

Is this something we can start with - being the branding colors for the
next months? Please add your comment ...

If yes, then the next steps within the next few days are (as far as I
currently know):
      * Checking for color blindness issues (and maybe derive usage
        hints)
      * Renaming of the colors (now that we have some darker colors, but
        didn't come up yet with a naming scheme)
      * Updating the LibreOffice branding page
      * Re-doing the color palettes
      * Maybe: re-doing the artwork on the branding page
      * Announcing it :-)

Oh dear, already that late. Good night, guys!

Cheers,
Christoph

drewjensen drewjensen

On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 02:00 +0100, Christoph Noack wrote:
> So let's pick your proposal and extend it a
> bit ... okay? By the way, what is Joyce (you mentioned it on the wiki
> page)?

Joyce is a human being, that is her first name. I asked for her opinion
- so we sat down and started playing with the different color pallets,
changing the design at the libreofficevols blog with different
combinations..she is actually the one that blended the two pallet sets.

The latest choices with Primary, secondary and tertiary seem quite good,
and given a release in 3-7 weeks I'd say it's most important to pick,
one of, the color sets now so folks can start putting things together.

So yeah looks good and I'd say use it.

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives

Am Freitag, den 05.11.2010, 21:38 -0400 schrieb drew:
> On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 02:00 +0100, Christoph Noack wrote:
> > So let's pick your proposal and extend it a
> > bit ... okay? By the way, what is Joyce (you mentioned it on the wiki
> > page)?
>
> Joyce is a human being, that is her first name. I asked for her opinion
> - so we sat down and started playing with the different color pallets,
> changing the design at the libreofficevols blog with different
> combinations..she is actually the one that blended the two pallet sets.

Oh, I'm so sorry! Seems that I was hit by some cultural issue ... it
seems that I should (among technical terms) learn some more
forenames :-) Please send kind regards to her ... I really appreciate
your help.

By the way, I always ask my girlfriend for some thoughts. Since we
are/think very different, it is always interesting for me to get her
opinion :-)

> The latest choices with Primary, secondary and tertiary seem quite good,
> and given a release in 3-7 weeks I'd say it's most important to pick,
> one of, the color sets now so folks can start putting things together.
>
> So yeah looks good and I'd say use it.

Thanks! I'd like to wait another day and think about / look at it, but I
really hope that this will fit for the first months. The rest is up to
the designers ... I'm really looking forward to see the ideas for the
community branding (even if it will take some time).

Cheers,
Christoph

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Branding Color Refinement Step 3 of 3 (was: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [tdf-discuss] LibO program icon brainstorming)

Hi all,

I'm sorry for being a bit quiet today ... and maybe even tomorrow. Real
life demands some time, although the digital LibO world is a great place
to be as well :-)

Far past midnight, so just a few lines - the subject of this mail is
still "colors". I finished the color palettes for the "initial branding"
and uploaded them to the wiki. I also added a (simple but nevertheless
effective spreadsheet file) to ease the generation of the palettes.

Here are the changes:
      * Added the color "yellow" (initial request by Bernhard)
      * Desaturated all the colors (request by Ivan)
      * Picked up the idea by Ivan for "off-colors", and made up very
        saturated accent colors
      * Added color categories to ease the color use: primary colors,
        secondary colors, etc. (idea by Bernhard)
      * Put the gray shadings into the palette files and the spreadsheet
        file (requests by several people to add gray)
      * Improved usability for the wiki color table (e.g. CMYK color
        values are colored according to ... well ... CMYK, colors
        renamed for better recognizability).

Here are the colors:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#Colors

The color files still miss some testing - so please give them a try. But
not only the compatibility, also some color blindness issue descriptions
would help a lot!

To come: A descriptive blog entry that can be linked from within the
branding page. Updates of the "Guidelines and Best Practices" and the
color names (used within the text).

Thanks for all the great input, suggestions, patience having received so
far. Looking forward :-)

Cheers,
Christoph

PS: If you are interested in contributing / changing / updating the
page, please raise your hand ... well appreciated :-)

Johannes Bausch Johannes Bausch

Re: Branding Color Refinement Step 3 of 3 (was: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [tdf-discuss] LibO program icon brainstorming)

> The color files still miss some testing - so please give them a try. But
> not only the compatibility, also some color blindness issue descriptions
> would help a lot!

I've uploaded information on the three most common vision
disabilities. The link is right below your color table.
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Color_blindness_issues

Joey

jonathon-2 jonathon-2

Re: Branding Color Refinement Step 3 of 3

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Branding Color Refinement Step 3 of 3 (was: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [tdf-discuss] LibO program icon brainstorming)

Hi Johannes,

very cool! Thanks!!! I had a look at the tables, so is there anything we
can suggest to the creators of artwork? For critical content, a useful
combination seems to be Green and Purple ... or Blue and Yellow.

It would be great if somebody could have another look at it ... it would
be great to come up with a list with some suggestions how to create
accessible graphics with the given colors.

@ Johannes: How did you the comparison - I usually used Gimp filters for
offline comparison, but it is a bit clumsy, since it doesn't provide
(simple) saving to files.

Cheers,
Christoph

Am Mittwoch, den 10.11.2010, 17:35 +0100 schrieb Johannes Bausch:

> > The color files still miss some testing - so please give them a try. But
> > not only the compatibility, also some color blindness issue descriptions
> > would help a lot!
>
> I've uploaded information on the three most common vision
> disabilities. The link is right below your color table.
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Color_blindness_issues
>
> Joey

Johannes Bausch Johannes Bausch

Re: Branding Color Refinement Step 3 of 3 (was: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [tdf-discuss] LibO program icon brainstorming)

No Problem. There are tons of tools available which simulate viewing
disabilities. If there's anything I should test, just tell me.

2010/11/11 Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Johannes,
>
> very cool! Thanks!!! I had a look at the tables, so is there anything we
> can suggest to the creators of artwork? For critical content, a useful
> combination seems to be Green and Purple ... or Blue and Yellow.
>
> It would be great if somebody could have another look at it ... it would
> be great to come up with a list with some suggestions how to create
> accessible graphics with the given colors.
>
> @ Johannes: How did you the comparison - I usually used Gimp filters for
> offline comparison, but it is a bit clumsy, since it doesn't provide
> (simple) saving to files.
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 10.11.2010, 17:35 +0100 schrieb Johannes Bausch:
>> > The color files still miss some testing - so please give them a try. But
>> > not only the compatibility, also some color blindness issue descriptions
>> > would help a lot!
>>
>> I've uploaded information on the three most common vision
>> disabilities. The link is right below your color table.
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Color_blindness_issues
>>
>> Joey

12 « Prev