Re: [tdf-discuss] Using free, open microblogging

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: [tdf-discuss] Using free, open microblogging

H Fabián, all!

Forwarding this to the website list as well ... it is about offering an
open alternative to Twitter on the start page. Please read Fabián's
suggestion. I agree with that, that we should prefer the open
alternatives ...

There is already a group, you find it on the TDF website [1], see Social
Networks and IRC (Extract):
        Twitter and Identi.ca: Follow us @docufoundation on Twitter and
        on Identi.ca. Feel free to use the tag #docufoundation for
        posting interesting news about us. We've also set-up a dedicated
        group at Identi.ca.

Thanks for that!

Bye,
Christoph

[1] http://www.documentfoundation.org/contact/

Am Dienstag, den 11.01.2011, 10:23 -0500 schrieb Fabián Rodríguez:

> I noticed today there is a Twitter feed on the home page at
> http://www.libreoffice.org/.
>
> In the spirit of using free, open-source software as we advocate other
> users doing with LibreOffice, would it be possible to link the
> libreoffice account in identi.ca to the libreofficenews in Twitter and
> post from Identi.ca so both audiences are served equally ? I'd also like
> to see the identi.ca feed featured on the home page (not Twitter
> exclusively). At some point TDF could setup their own status.net server too.
>
> There are many reasons for not using Twitter exclusively, but I won't go
> into that
>
> Anyone with an account on identi.ca can link their account to Twitter by
> visiting this link while logged in:
> https://identi.ca/main/twitterlogin
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fabian

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: [tdf-discuss] Using free, open microblogging

Hi, :-)

Ivan and I discussed the choice between a Twitter widget on the home
page, and an identi.ca widget, when we were working together last
week, ultimately deciding on a Twitter widget simply because more
people in the project seemed to be Twittering...

But, in fact, this triggers a discussion for a need for a
more-centralized, more-harmonized management of all the project's
communications media:

- libreoffice.org website
- Twitter accounts
- Identi.ca accounts
- TDF blog account on WordPress.com
- Planet web
- documentfoundation.org website
- Facebook account
- IRC (2 accounts...)
- etc....

IMHO, I'd see that as an overlapping thing between the website
management and marketing management...

David Nelson

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: [tdf-discuss] Using free, open microblogging

Hi David, all!

David, thanks for the answer ...

Am Mittwoch, den 12.01.2011, 06:19 +0800 schrieb David Nelson:
> Hi, :-)
>
> Ivan and I discussed the choice between a Twitter widget on the home
> page, and an identi.ca widget, when we were working together last
> week, ultimately deciding on a Twitter widget simply because more
> people in the project seemed to be Twittering...

Mmh. That might be discussed later again, because more people use MS
Office documents doesn't mean to change that to the default behavior of
LibreOffice :-)

> But, in fact, this triggers a discussion for a need for a
> more-centralized, more-harmonized management of all the project's
> communications media:
>
> - libreoffice.org website
> - Twitter accounts
> - Identi.ca accounts
> - TDF blog account on WordPress.com
> - Planet web
> - documentfoundation.org website
> - Facebook account
> - IRC (2 accounts...)
> - etc....

No need to trigger that ... it is available :-)

Thanks to Florian, Drew, ... and many others:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Web_Sites_services

[...]

Cheers,
Christoph

Cheers,
Christoph

davidnelson davidnelson

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 06:31, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]> wrote:
> No need to trigger that ... it is available :-)
>
> Thanks to Florian, Drew, ... and many others:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Web_Sites_services

Oh, sure, it's essential to already have a centralized list of the
various resources on a wiki page, but that still doesn't equate to a
harmonized management... ;-)

David Nelson

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: [tdf-discuss] Using free, open microblogging

Hi David!

Am Mittwoch, den 12.01.2011, 06:37 +0800 schrieb David Nelson:

> Hi, :-)
>
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 06:31, Christoph Noack
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > No need to trigger that ... it is available :-)
> >
> > Thanks to Florian, Drew, ... and many others:
> > http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Web_Sites_services
>
> Oh, sure, it's essential to already have a centralized list of the
> various resources on a wiki page, but that still doesn't equate to a
> harmonized management... ;-)

Our harmonized management - in this case - is currently called
Florian :-) He worked on most of the names / tags for the infrastructure
and the social media. If there is a need to change / adapt something, I
propose to ping him ...

Cheers,
Christoph

Ivan M. Ivan M.

Re: [tdf-discuss] Using free, open microblogging

Hi Christoph, David,

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Christoph Noack
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David!
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 12.01.2011, 06:37 +0800 schrieb David Nelson:
>> Hi, :-)
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 06:31, Christoph Noack
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > No need to trigger that ... it is available :-)
>> >
>> > Thanks to Florian, Drew, ... and many others:
>> > http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Web_Sites_services
>>
>> Oh, sure, it's essential to already have a centralized list of the
>> various resources on a wiki page, but that still doesn't equate to a
>> harmonized management... ;-)
>
> Our harmonized management - in this case - is currently called
> Florian :-) He worked on most of the names / tags for the infrastructure
> and the social media. If there is a need to change / adapt something, I
> propose to ping him ...

+1, please do. We can move to all the open source solutions we want,
but it's no use if we don't have content flowing through.

David, could you please create an identi.ca account for
libreofficenews with the same (or as close to the same as possible)
details? If Florian does the same, then we can turn the Twitter widget
into an identi.ca widget (assuming identi.ca has a decent API).

Regards,
Ivan.

davidnelson davidnelson

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 07:21, Ivan M. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> David, could you please create an identi.ca account for
> libreofficenews with the same (or as close to the same as possible)
> details? If Florian does the same, then we can turn the Twitter widget
> into an identi.ca widget (assuming identi.ca has a decent API).

Done. ;-)

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 07:00, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Our harmonized management - in this case - is currently called
> Florian :-)

I'm worried that Florian is a non-renewable natural resource that we
are fast expending... We need to replicate him, or he needs to
delegate more responsibilities this year. ;-)

David Nelson

drewjensen drewjensen

On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 12:21 +1300, Ivan M. wrote:
> David, could you please create an identi.ca account for
> libreofficenews with the same (or as close to the same as possible)

it was available the other day -

> details? If Florian does the same, then we can turn the Twitter widget
> into an identi.ca widget (assuming identi.ca has a decent API).

A widget based on status net code would work if all you are doing is
following an account, or a hash tag, not sure about multiple accounts.

The real question in my mind is what do we really want to do with it.

A box that displays the time line for a single account is one option -
that can either be an official announcement channel or as it is being
used the last couple of days, retweets from the general stream - so you
can act as an editor for what you want to show on the web site, and do
so from multiple posters.

You can also decide that what you want to do is display what is being
said about the project - this would be the hash tag or search string
based box. That was what they did on the ooo wiki.

If you go that way then you a real question about twitter vs status net,
cause most of the conversation takes place on twitter - but it may be,
and I think it is, that the conversation happening under status net is
of more interest to us.

Finally we have the option to look at a full mico-blog.

Twitter/Status net is a reasonable way to broadcast a message but it is
also a very useful tool to listen with.

Thing about using it for broadcasting is that the time frames are very
small so you have to work in redundancy, either with multiple accounts
or multiple postings. The box on the web page or a micro-blog is a way
to address this temporal issue - but it is a trade off.

Anyway just a few thoughts,

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: [tdf-discuss] Using free, open microblogging

I'll give my best ;) Just missed the question to me here a bit, can
someone let me know what's needed? Sorry for losing the plot

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: [tdf-discuss] Using free, open microblogging

Hi, :-)

I have linked the libreofficenews Twitter account with identi.ca and
will tweet from identi.ca in future so that tweets ("dents"?) go to
both.

David Nelson

Wolf Halton Wolf Halton

Re: [tdf-discuss] Using free, open microblogging

This seems like an excellent solution. Why not use all social net services?
This is a task that many of us can do, retweeting news or links about LO.

Wheatbix Wheatbix

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 1:48 PM, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, :-)
>
> I have linked the libreofficenews Twitter account with identi.ca and
> will tweet from identi.ca in future so that tweets ("dents"?) go to
> both.
>
> David Nelson

This has implications for the Drupal development site as we were
hoping we might be able to integrate tweets with the support section.

I just checked and Drupal has modules for identi.ca which are simply a
backend for the plugin which tweets. From what I have read it should
also support any other status.net installation if we decide to have
our own instance of identica/status update system on the LibreOffice
infrastructure.

Thanks,
Mike