Real Usenet newsgroups

Next » 12
dave boland dave boland

Real Usenet newsgroups

I would like to request that LO get real newsgroups like Ubuntu
(alt.os.linux.ubuntu) and MEPIS (alt.os.linux.mepis) have.  Real
newsgroups are more convenient to use, don't clog up newsreaders with
unwanted notes, and don't waste time on cutesy web pages.  LO is now an
open source force (a good thing), and it is time to have real
newsgroups.

Yes, I'm aware of spam concerns -- so what!

Dave,
--
  dave boland

http://www.fastmail.fm - Send your email first class

Stefan Gruber-2 Stefan Gruber-2

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

+1

Stefan Gruber

Mihamina Rakotomandimby Mihamina Rakotomandimby

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

On 09/26/2011 04:25 PM, dave boland wrote:
> I would like to request that LO get real newsgroups like Ubuntu
> (alt.os.linux.ubuntu) and MEPIS (alt.os.linux.mepis) have.

Have you heard about Gmane?
You can have this list as newgroup with this.
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user

So what? ;-)

--
RMA.

dave boland dave boland

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

I'm not interested in a web based system -- too slow, reg, req'd., etc.
Make it regular newsgroups like Ubuntu and Mepis.

Dave,

On Monday, September 26, 2011 4:55 PM, "Mihamina Rakotomandimby"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/26/2011 04:25 PM, dave boland wrote:
> > I would like to request that LO get real newsgroups like Ubuntu
> > (alt.os.linux.ubuntu) and MEPIS (alt.os.linux.mepis) have.
>
> Have you heard about Gmane?
> You can have this list as newgroup with this.
> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user
>
> So what? ;-)
>
> --
> RMA.

  dave boland

http://www.fastmail.fm - Does exactly what it says on the tin

snowshed snowshed

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

On 9/26/11 8:19 AM, dave boland wrote:
> I'm not interested in a web based system -- too slow, reg, req'd., etc.
> Make it regular newsgroups like Ubuntu and Mepis.

Dave,

May I suggest you reread about Gmane?

I read my chosen LO lists via the Gmane interface, and I read it as a
newsgroup in Thunderbird.  It's absolutely no different than when I read
the Mozilla groups, and eternal-september.org.

I'll send you a screen shot if you'd like some evidence.  :-)

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Firefox 6.0.2
Thunderbird 6.0.2
LibreOffice 3.3.3

On 09/26/2011 05:19 PM, dave boland wrote:
> Make it regular newsgroups like Ubuntu and Mepis.

Again, have a look at
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user

Ok... Let me explain, as you seem brain dead:

1°) On
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user,
you'll find a link saying: "Using an NNTP newsreader. "

2°) pass you mouse over that link and carefully look at the target URL
nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user

that means:
- NNTP protocol
- NNTP server: news.gmane.org
- Group name in that server: gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user

I wish it's clearer... Otherwise, you should tone down and ask for basic
help on using "internet".

--
RMA.

dave boland dave boland

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

Ken,

I'm sorry -- it looked like a web interface when I went to the page.
One question -- will I be able to post questions to the NG like I can
with Ubuntu and Mepis?  If I have all of the functionality of a regular
NG, then I'm good to go.  In the mean time, I'l have another look at
Gmane.

Dave,

On Monday, September 26, 2011 8:58 AM, "Ken Springer" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 9/26/11 8:19 AM, dave boland wrote:
> > I'm not interested in a web based system -- too slow, reg, req'd., etc.
> > Make it regular newsgroups like Ubuntu and Mepis.
>
> Dave,
>
> May I suggest you reread about Gmane?
>
> I read my chosen LO lists via the Gmane interface, and I read it as a
> newsgroup in Thunderbird.  It's absolutely no different than when I read
> the Mozilla groups, and eternal-september.org.
>
> I'll send you a screen shot if you'd like some evidence.  :-)
>
> --
> Ken
>
> Mac OS X 10.6.8
> Firefox 6.0.2
> Thunderbird 6.0.2
> LibreOffice 3.3.3

  dave boland

http://www.fastmail.fm - The way an email service should be

dave boland dave boland

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

Ok, enough of the insults.  If your not part of the answer, they you are
part of the problem.  So go back to doing something else so the adults
can have a discussion.

Dave

On Monday, September 26, 2011 6:06 PM, "Mihamina Rakotomandimby"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/26/2011 05:19 PM, dave boland wrote:
> > Make it regular newsgroups like Ubuntu and Mepis.
>
> Again, have a look at
> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user
>
> Ok... Let me explain, as you seem brain dead:
>
> 1°) On
> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user,
> you'll find a link saying: "Using an NNTP newsreader. "
>
> 2°) pass you mouse over that link and carefully look at the target URL
> nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user
>
> that means:
> - NNTP protocol
> - NNTP server: news.gmane.org
> - Group name in that server:
> gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user
>
> I wish it's clearer... Otherwise, you should tone down and ask for basic
> help on using "internet".
>
> --
> RMA.

  dave boland

http://www.fastmail.fm - Accessible with your email software
                          or over the web

snowshed snowshed

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

On 9/26/11 9:47 AM, dave boland wrote:
> Ken,
>
> I'm sorry -- it looked like a web interface when I went to the page.
> One question -- will I be able to post questions to the NG like I can
> with Ubuntu and Mepis?  If I have all of the functionality of a regular
> NG, then I'm good to go.  In the mean time, I'l have another look at
> Gmane.

No apology necessary, Dave, I've misinterpreted/misread so many things
in my life!   LOL

The answer is yes, you can post.  That's how I do it.

But, I do find the overall instructions via both LO and Gmane to be
confusing, at least it was to me.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Firefox 6.0.2
Thunderbird 6.0.2
LibreOffice 3.3.3

James Wilde James Wilde

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

Well, there's a slight snag here, due to be solved real soon now.  As I understand it, the mailing list program used by libreoffice in its present version can not accept unmoderated posts sent via gmane unless the sender is also registered with libreoffice.  Also as I understand it, this is due to change in an upcoming version of the mailing list program.

This means you have two choices at present.

1. You can register with the libo mailing list using the -nomail parameter.  This means that your posts via gmane get right through the system, but you don't get any emails.  You read the newsgroup in your nntp reader.  To use this option send an email from the same email account you registered with gmane to <listname>+[hidden email].  Reply to the resulting email and you're done.  Listname for the users list is, of course, users.

2. You don't register with the libo mailing list, which means that, until the list manager is updated, your posts will come to one of the moderators to be approved before getting on the list.  Normally this seems to result in a delay to be reckoned in minutes rather than hours.

HTH

//James
One of the moderators

On Sep 26, 2011, at 17:47 , dave boland wrote:

> Ken,
>
> I'm sorry -- it looked like a web interface when I went to the page.
> One question -- will I be able to post questions to the NG like I can
> with Ubuntu and Mepis?  If I have all of the functionality of a regular
> NG, then I'm good to go.  In the mean time, I'l have another look at
> Gmane.
>
> Dave,
>

> On Monday, September 26, 2011 8:58 AM, "Ken Springer" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> On 9/26/11 8:19 AM, dave boland wrote:
>>> I'm not interested in a web based system -- too slow, reg, req'd., etc.
>>> Make it regular newsgroups like Ubuntu and Mepis.
>>
>> Dave,
>>
>> May I suggest you reread about Gmane?
>>
>> I read my chosen LO lists via the Gmane interface, and I read it as a
>> newsgroup in Thunderbird.  It's absolutely no different than when I read
>> the Mozilla groups, and eternal-september.org.
>>
>> I'll send you a screen shot if you'd like some evidence.  :-)
>>
>> --
>> Ken
>>
>> Mac OS X 10.6.8
>> Firefox 6.0.2
>> Thunderbird 6.0.2
>> LibreOffice 3.3.3

>> deleted
>>
> --
>  dave boland
>  [hidden email]
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - The way an email service should be

dave boland dave boland

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

James,

Thanks for the very clear post on the subject.  I have no problem with a
delay of minutes to an hour -- nothing is so important it can't wait a
few minutes.  So, I'll not change anything for now.

Instead, I'll try to figure out this gmane thing.  I've been subscribed
to:
gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.documentation

for a few months, but there are never any updates to it, so something
needs to get fixed.

Dave,

On Monday, September 26, 2011 8:19 PM, "James Wilde"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, there's a slight snag here, due to be solved real soon now.  As I
> understand it, the mailing list program used by libreoffice in its
> present version can not accept unmoderated posts sent via gmane unless
> the sender is also registered with libreoffice.  Also as I understand it,
> this is due to change in an upcoming version of the mailing list program.
>
> This means you have two choices at present.
>
> 1. You can register with the libo mailing list using the -nomail
> parameter.  This means that your posts via gmane get right through the
> system, but you don't get any emails.  You read the newsgroup in your
> nntp reader.  To use this option send an email from the same email
> account you registered with gmane to
> <listname>+[hidden email].  Reply to the
> resulting email and you're done.  Listname for the users list is, of
> course, users.
>
> 2. You don't register with the libo mailing list, which means that, until
> the list manager is updated, your posts will come to one of the
> moderators to be approved before getting on the list.  Normally this
> seems to result in a delay to be reckoned in minutes rather than hours.
>
> HTH
>
> //James
> One of the moderators
>
> On Sep 26, 2011, at 17:47 , dave boland wrote:
>
> > Ken,
> >
> > I'm sorry -- it looked like a web interface when I went to the page.
> > One question -- will I be able to post questions to the NG like I can
> > with Ubuntu and Mepis?  If I have all of the functionality of a regular
> > NG, then I'm good to go.  In the mean time, I'l have another look at
> > Gmane.
> >
> > Dave,
> >

> > On Monday, September 26, 2011 8:58 AM, "Ken Springer" <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Dave,
> >>
> >> May I suggest you reread about Gmane?
> >>
> >> I read my chosen LO lists via the Gmane interface, and I read it as a
> >> newsgroup in Thunderbird.  It's absolutely no different than when I read
> >> the Mozilla groups, and eternal-september.org.
> >>
> >> I'll send you a screen shot if you'd like some evidence.  :-)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ken
> >>
> >> Mac OS X 10.6.8
> >> Firefox 6.0.2
> >> Thunderbird 6.0.2
> >> LibreOffice 3.3.3
> >>

> >> --
> >> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> >> deleted
> >>
> > --
> >  dave boland
> >  [hidden email]
> >
> > --
> > http://www.fastmail.fm - The way an email service should be
> >

> > --
> > All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

  dave boland

http://www.fastmail.fm - Access all of your messages and folders
                          wherever you are

snowshed snowshed

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

On 9/26/11 1:16 PM, dave boland wrote:
> Instead, I'll try to figure out this gmane thing.  I've been subscribed
> to:
> gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.documentation
>
> for a few months, but there are never any updates to it, so something
> needs to get fixed.

A short time back, the email addresses for the mailing lists were
changed, and there were acknowledged problems.  Eventually, I had to
completely redo my settings with both LO and Gmane to get everything
working.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Firefox 6.0.2
Thunderbird 6.0.2
LibreOffice 3.3.3

dave boland dave boland

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

This is why I   r e a l l y   think that it is time to go to regular
newsgroups -- a lot less fussing for the user.

I have been on the gmane sight twice, and I still don't see how to
subscribe.  It is not worth the bother!

Spam aside, what are the objections to regular newsgroups?  It just
seems like it is the right thing to do at the right time to do it.

Dave,

--
  dave boland

http://www.fastmail.fm - The way an email service should be

jomali jomali

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 3:38 PM, dave boland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is why I   r e a l l y   think that it is time to go to regular
> newsgroups -- a lot less fussing for the user.
>
> I have been on the gmane sight twice, and I still don't see how to
> subscribe.  It is not worth the bother!
>
> Spam aside, what are the objections to regular newsgroups?  It just
> seems like it is the right thing to do at the right time to do it.

Absolutely not. I receive and read the e-mail messages and find them very
useful. Like many others on this list, I dislike newsgroups and forums
(fora?). If you like newsgroups, stick to gMane.

jomail

> Dave,
>

> On Monday, September 26, 2011 1:24 PM, "Ken Springer" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On 9/26/11 1:16 PM, dave boland wrote:
> > > Instead, I'll try to figure out this gmane thing.  I've been subscribed
> > > to:
> > > gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.documentation
> > >
> > > for a few months, but there are never any updates to it, so something
> > > needs to get fixed.
> >
> > A short time back, the email addresses for the mailing lists were
> > changed, and there were acknowledged problems.  Eventually, I had to
> > completely redo my settings with both LO and Gmane to get everything
> > working.
> >
> > --
> > Ken
> >
> > Mac OS X 10.6.8
> > Firefox 6.0.2
> > Thunderbird 6.0.2
> > LibreOffice 3.3.3
> --
>   dave boland
>  [hidden email]
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - The way an email service should be

snowshed snowshed

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

On 9/26/11 1:38 PM, dave boland wrote:
> This is why I   r e a l l y   think that it is time to go to regular
> newsgroups -- a lot less fussing for the user.

I see no difference between using Gmane and any other newsgroup, once
it's set up.  It's just that the instructions on how to do it are crappy
at best.  And LO can't do anything about Gmane's instructions.

> I have been on the gmane sight twice, and I still don't see how to
> subscribe.  It is not worth the bother!

I *think* I see the problem.  You may have some things mixed up,
resulting in you trying to do the impossible.

I'd like to explain this here, in the list, but I'm not sure the "how to
do it" would be appropriate for the thread.  I'd also like to be able to
include some screenshots, but since the list is text only, I can't do
that either.  And, it would be lengthy, if you want me to do a good job.
  :-)

I'd like to get some feedback on the legitimacy of posting the
instructions here.  Maybe something from a moderator would be nice.  :-)

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Firefox 6.0.2
Thunderbird 6.0.2
LibreOffice 3.3.3

drewjensen drewjensen

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 15:25 -0600, Ken Springer wrote:

> On 9/26/11 1:38 PM, dave boland wrote:
> > This is why I   r e a l l y   think that it is time to go to regular
> > newsgroups -- a lot less fussing for the user.
>
> I see no difference between using Gmane and any other newsgroup, once
> it's set up.  It's just that the instructions on how to do it are crappy
> at best.  And LO can't do anything about Gmane's instructions.
>
> > I have been on the gmane sight twice, and I still don't see how to
> > subscribe.  It is not worth the bother!
>
> I *think* I see the problem.  You may have some things mixed up,
> resulting in you trying to do the impossible.
>
> I'd like to explain this here, in the list, but I'm not sure the "how to
> do it" would be appropriate for the thread.  I'd also like to be able to
> include some screenshots, but since the list is text only, I can't do
> that either.  And, it would be lengthy, if you want me to do a good job.
>   :-)
>
> I'd like to get some feedback on the legitimacy of posting the
> instructions here.  Maybe something from a moderator would be nice.  :-)

Well, just a thought - create the instructions with screenshots on the
wiki and then just post a link to the page here...?

//drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
snowshed snowshed

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

On 9/26/11 3:32 PM, drew wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 15:25 -0600, Ken Springer wrote:

>> I'd like to get some feedback on the legitimacy of posting the
>> instructions here.  Maybe something from a moderator would be nice.  :-)
>
> Well, just a thought - create the instructions with screenshots on the
> wiki and then just post a link to the page here...?

I've actually never been to the wiki!    LOL    So, I'm not sure I'd
want to tackle that idea right now.  :-)

I *am* sure that if did something like that, I'd want to be more
professional looking, sounding, and somewhat looking like other items on
the wiki.

And that would probably take more time than what I was going to do for Dave.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Firefox 6.0.2
Thunderbird 6.0.2
LibreOffice 3.3.3

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 10:19 -0400, dave boland wrote:

> I'm not interested in a web based system -- too slow, reg, req'd., etc.
> Make it regular newsgroups like Ubuntu and Mepis.
>
> Dave,

+1, I even download my gmail using a pop connection.

> On Monday, September 26, 2011 4:55 PM, "Mihamina Rakotomandimby"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 09/26/2011 04:25 PM, dave boland wrote:
> > > I would like to request that LO get real newsgroups like Ubuntu
> > > (alt.os.linux.ubuntu) and MEPIS (alt.os.linux.mepis) have.
> >
> > Have you heard about Gmane?
> > You can have this list as newgroup with this.
> > http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user
> >
> > So what? ;-)
> >
> > --
> > RMA.
> >
> > --
> > deleted
> >
> --
>   dave boland
>   [hidden email]
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Does exactly what it says on the tin

--
Jay Lozier

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 15:50 -0400, jomali wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 3:38 PM, dave boland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > This is why I   r e a l l y   think that it is time to go to regular
> > newsgroups -- a lot less fussing for the user.
> >
> > I have been on the gmane sight twice, and I still don't see how to
> > subscribe.  It is not worth the bother!
> >
> > Spam aside, what are the objections to regular newsgroups?  It just
> > seems like it is the right thing to do at the right time to do it.
> >

> Absolutely not. I receive and read the e-mail messages and find them very
> useful. Like many others on this list, I dislike newsgroups and forums
> (fora?). If you like newsgroups, stick to gMane.
>
> jomail

pl of forum in Latin is fori, you are thinking of forae, which is the
genitive/plural ending for feminine nouns (usually end -a) and -um nouns
are usually neuter. (If I remember my Latin from way back in the Dark
Ages LOL)

--
Jay Lozier

Tom Tom

Re: Real Usenet newsgroups

The home page is
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Main_Page

The Documentation pages don't yet have an area like the "Community Documentation" for Ubuntu or other distros but i guess we could go that way.

If you do a rough draft of a wiki-page then hopefully other people would tidy it up and give it a more professional look later on.  The whole idea is that pages are worked on collaboratively, ie people add and change bits or even shift the page to somewhere more appropriate later.  the rough draft would be enough to help with this particular question this time and then just see if people help with editing later :)

> On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 15:25 -0600, Ken Springer wrote:

>> I'd like to get some feedback on the legitimacy of posting the
>> instructions here.  Maybe something from a moderator would be nice.  :-)
>
> Well, just a thought - create the instructions with screenshots on the
> wiki and then just post a link to the page here...?

I've actually never been to the wiki!    LOL    So, I'm not sure I'd want to tackle that idea right now.  :-)

I *am* sure that if did something like that, I'd want to be more professional looking, sounding, and somewhat looking like other items on the wiki.

And that would probably take more time than what I was going to do for Dave.

-- Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Firefox 6.0.2
Thunderbird 6.0.2
LibreOffice 3.3.3

-- For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]

Next » 12