Reason for creating document

Sławomir Lach Sławomir Lach

Reason for creating document

My idea is about fit UI of LO for current use reason. When user creates
new document, LO can ask for reason, like printing, notes, etc., so UI
is fit for selected use reason. For example, writter could show text in
webpage view mode, etc. The reason should been written into document.
Another idea is to create link to run LO apps with special parameter,
so user could run for example notes program and system will run
lowritter --notes-ui in resposne.

Best regards,
Lach Sławomir.

kainz.a kainz.a

Re: Reason for creating document

Hi Lach,

I had something similar in mind, that you get the used things that were
available in the document (simple document, book with bookmarks,
references, ...) but when I play now with the ui files I have to say it is
nice when you get an interface that fit's the users need. In addition it
would be very difficult when the UI change each time, that the user feel
femilar with it.

cheers
Andresa

Tim Lungstrom Tim Lungstrom

On 04/20/2017 09:01 AM, Sławomir Lach wrote:

> My idea is about fit UI of LO for current use reason. When user creates
> new document, LO can ask for reason, like printing, notes, etc., so UI
> is fit for selected use reason. For example, writter could show text in
> webpage view mode, etc. The reason should been written into document.
> Another idea is to create link to run LO apps with special parameter,
> so user could run for example notes program and system will run
> lowritter --notes-ui in resposne.
>
> Best regards,
> Lach Sławomir.

Here is a question . .

Will you be able to modify the "reasons" list?

If you want to open a document that will not be for printing but use as
a PDF reader file.  How about the "notes" option - will there be an
ability to modify the type of notes format, or would the "note reason"
preformat the page to a specific notes format?  Actually, when I write a
long document, I start with a "notes" or my outline format.  Then I
start filling in the sections and sub sections.

I am seeing that if a user could not modify the reason "response",
people may not like the default responses.  We have so many
configuration options available, so Writer, Calc, and the other modules,
will configure LibreOffice to what is suited best for our users.  My
configurations could be very different than yours or others on this
list.  If we add this type of UI modifications, we need to make sure
they are configurable and even "turn off" like spell checking the text
while you type the words.

That is my opinion - as in a devil's advocate roll that I have played in
mainframe software design, more times than I can remember.

Toki Toki

On 04/20/2017 01:01 PM, Sławomir Lach wrote:
> My idea is about fit UI of LO for current use reason.

Whilst the only implementation (^1) of that I've seen, looked workable,
two issues I saw were:
* Confused users, because an unexpected, unfamiliar UI was presented. (^2);
* Users of A11Y tools lost both functionality, and capabilities, due to
the inability to access the relevant triggers;

> so UI is fit for selected use reason.

An example -- even if only mockups --- would be extremely useful here.

Your example uses work-product delivery format. Something originally
written for hard copy, could end up being printed to PDF, or more
exotic, like DAISY.(^3)

The implementation I saw, used document type (Invoice, Memo,
Presentation Report, etc.) When the user can add document types, and
make the appropriate UI modifications, it works.  It totally falls
apart, when one wants to use Draw for the Presentation Report, rather
than Impress, Write, or Calc.

 For example, writter could show text in
> webpage view mode, etc. The reason should been written into document.

^1: Third party add-on that is only available for the commercial vendor
that created it.

^2: In as much as changing the TCIP Classification of a document can
confuse users, an actual change in the UI will confuse users.

^3: Unless things have improved a lot in the last six months, DAISY
support is a lost cause. This is one of those "nice to have" but
"incredibly difficult to develop without a lot of financial backing"
features. (Part of the financial backing is to pay the danegeld.)

jonathon