Rebuilding LO freezes on macOS

Thorsten Wagner Thorsten Wagner

Rebuilding LO freezes on macOS

Dear all,

at least since LO 5.2 I have a strange problem concerning building on macOS:

(1) Build is ok after cleaning and building for the first time.

(2) During building again build freezes while linking "Library/libscfiltlo.dylib". "make" loops consuming 100% cpu on a single core. Build has to be interrupted by killing "make" processes.

(3) Issue is reproducible. Only workaround is cleaning and rebuilding completely.

I'm building on OS X 10.11 using Xcode 8.2 command line tools.

Does everyone has seen this behaviour too?

Any heap would be appreciated.

brgds Thorsten
julien2412 julien2412

Re: Rebuilding LO freezes on macOS

Hi,

On Mac 10.12.6, I don't reproduce this. But I must recognize, I use more often my laptop on Linux.
Do you confirm you use master sources?
Did you try to empty ccache with ccache -C ?
Would it be possible you upgrade to 10.12?

Julien
Shinnok Shinnok

Re: Rebuilding LO freezes on macOS

Thorsten,

I can't reproduce this with latest LO on macOS 10.12.6, so maybe this is specific to your build env and system.
Can you run make with the -d flag and when it hangs kill the build process and reply with the link command and following output?

PS: You did make sure you are not running out of disk space or other potential causes like that?

Shinnok

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Rebuilding LO freezes on macOS

Le 23/08/2017 à 21:28, Thorsten Wagner a écrit :

Hi THorsten,

> (2) During building again build freezes while linking "Library/libscfiltlo.dylib". "make" loops consuming 100% cpu on a single core. Build has to be interrupted by killing "make" processes.

I see this occasionally, or though it tends to be during population of
instdir (so towards the end of the build) and not specifically in
libscfiltLO.dylib. Possibly the parallel build gets into a race
condition somewhere (shrugs) and I have to kill it, clean it and restart.

I remember reading somewhere a long time ago about changing the ulimit
number of openable file descriptors, something like this here:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/108174/how-to-persist-ulimit-settings-in-macos

That might help, but if you need to push past the hard limit set by
Apple as default, then you need to buy AppleServer for OSX from the
AppStore.

Alex

Thorsten Wagner Thorsten Wagner

Rebuilding LO freezes on macOS

Julien, Shinnok, Alex,

thanks for your feedback. I'm trying to raise number of openable file descriptors by means of ulimit first. Default seems to be 256 for OS X 10.11. Indeed issue probably takes place during population of "instdir". "Library/libscfiltlo.dylib" is referenced in make's last console output only.

I'll give feedback upon testing.

brgds

Thorsten