Release 4.2 icon set

JohnSmith JohnSmith

Release 4.2 icon set

Jean,
Just had a thought on this subject. Are we staying with Galaxy, which I
see is no longer listed as Galaxy(default), or are we going with Tango?
I know we had this discussion earlier this year, but is it now time to
bite the bullet?

On another point, is the template being changed from the LO3.4
template?. Again, that was mentioned earlier in the year I think.

Regards
JohnS

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: Release 4.2 icon set

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 3:20 AM, John Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Jean,
> Just had a thought on this subject. Are we staying with Galaxy, which I see
> is no longer listed as Galaxy(default), or are we going with Tango?
> I know we had this discussion earlier this year, but is it now time to bite
> the bullet?
>
> On another point, is the template being changed from the LO3.4 template?.
> Again, that was mentioned earlier in the year I think.

John,
Thanks for the nudge about the new template, which I have been working
on and should get to the stage of making available to all. Okay,
that's my priority task for December. I *will* get this done.
Meanwhile, please carry on using the old one.

As for the icon set, yes it probably is time to make the change from
Galaxy to Tango, unless someone knows a good reason why we should not.
(A good reason being something like: the hypothetical situation of the
Design Team seriously considering changing to yet another icon set.
Note: I have no idea if that is under consideration; I haven't been
following design discussions. But might be worth checking if something
dramatic is coming up on the design side.)

--Jean

Martin Saffron Martin Saffron

Re: Release 4.2 icon set

Hello,

I don't know what has been discussed previously but I believe LO4.2 will
introduce a new icon set.  I've read elsewhere that they may be the
default.  Take a look here:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.2#GUI

"A new set of icons have been included in LibreOffice 4.2, these icons
named Sifr, where designed to reach the goal of having a beautiful
non-distracting icons to help the user concentrate on the document.
(Issa Alkurtas, Norah Abanumay, Mirek M., Pavel Haratický and Ahmad Harthi)"

Thanks

Martin

On 02/12/13 23:28, Jean Weber wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 3:20 AM, John Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Jean,
>> Just had a thought on this subject. Are we staying with Galaxy, which I see
>> is no longer listed as Galaxy(default), or are we going with Tango?
>> I know we had this discussion earlier this year, but is it now time to bite
>> the bullet?
>>
>> On another point, is the template being changed from the LO3.4 template?.
>> Again, that was mentioned earlier in the year I think.
> John,
> Thanks for the nudge about the new template, which I have been working
> on and should get to the stage of making available to all. Okay,
> that's my priority task for December. I *will* get this done.
> Meanwhile, please carry on using the old one.
>
> As for the icon set, yes it probably is time to make the change from
> Galaxy to Tango, unless someone knows a good reason why we should not.
> (A good reason being something like: the hypothetical situation of the
> Design Team seriously considering changing to yet another icon set.
> Note: I have no idea if that is under consideration; I haven't been
> following design discussions. But might be worth checking if something
> dramatic is coming up on the design side.)
>
> --Jean

JohnSmith JohnSmith

Re: Release 4.2 icon set

Hi Martin
Thanks, I had seen this entry, but note that in 4.2Beta1,
Tango(Automatic) is still the default installation icon set. While it
may change we have to make a start somewhere.
Regards
JohnS
On 03/12/2013 15:49, Martin Saffron wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't know what has been discussed previously but I believe LO4.2
> will introduce a new icon set.  I've read elsewhere that they may be
> the default.  Take a look here:
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.2#GUI
>
> "A new set of icons have been included in LibreOffice 4.2, these icons
> named Sifr, where designed to reach the goal of having a beautiful
> non-distracting icons to help the user concentrate on the document.
> (Issa Alkurtas, Norah Abanumay, Mirek M., Pavel Haratický and Ahmad
> Harthi)"
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin
>
> On 02/12/13 23:28, Jean Weber wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 3:20 AM, John Smith <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Jean,
>>> Just had a thought on this subject. Are we staying with Galaxy,
>>> which I see
>>> is no longer listed as Galaxy(default), or are we going with Tango?
>>> I know we had this discussion earlier this year, but is it now time
>>> to bite
>>> the bullet?
>>>
>>> On another point, is the template being changed from the LO3.4
>>> template?.
>>> Again, that was mentioned earlier in the year I think.
>> John,
>> Thanks for the nudge about the new template, which I have been working
>> on and should get to the stage of making available to all. Okay,
>> that's my priority task for December. I *will* get this done.
>> Meanwhile, please carry on using the old one.
>>
>> As for the icon set, yes it probably is time to make the change from
>> Galaxy to Tango, unless someone knows a good reason why we should not.
>> (A good reason being something like: the hypothetical situation of the
>> Design Team seriously considering changing to yet another icon set.
>> Note: I have no idea if that is under consideration; I haven't been
>> following design discussions. But might be worth checking if something
>> dramatic is coming up on the design side.)
>>
>> --Jean

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Release 4.2 icon set

Personal opinion:
    Having seen the new icon set (Sifr), I do not see that it is a
"beautiful non-distracting icons" set. Maybe I just plain like Galaxy.
Maybe I don't like the idea of changing the icon set that is used. Maybe
I do not understand what the icons are suppose to be and represent. I do
know that it would take some time just to learn what icon I need to
click to do what I want.
    If someone has mentioned why a change is needed, I do not remember
what that was. Is it a case of "every" software has change their icon
set to something new and we are one of the last to make the change?

--Dan