Reminder for localized wiki pages

Per Eriksson Per Eriksson

Reminder for localized wiki pages

  Hello,

Just a friendly reminder when creating your localized pages in the wiki.

* Follow your language's namespace as outlined on the wiki first page.
Prefix your pages with your language code so that we know which they
belong to:
XX/Page title

* Also write the letters in uppercase.

If following these instructions we will be able to handle our content in
a very effective way, and know which content belongs to which language.
It will also simplify administration for all native language communities.

Thanks a lot and great job. ;-)

Best

Per

sophi sophi

Re: Reminder for localized wiki pages

Hi Per,

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Per Eriksson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> Just a friendly reminder when creating your localized pages in the wiki.
>
> * Follow your language's namespace as outlined on the wiki first page.
> Prefix your pages with your language code so that we know which they belong
> to:
> XX/Page title
>
> * Also write the letters in uppercase.
>
> If following these instructions we will be able to handle our content in a
> very effective way, and know which content belongs to which language. It
> will also simplify administration for all native language communities.

I'm the one who has writtent the rules and doesn't follow them :(
Really sorry for that.
Would you be able to delete this page:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/La_Fondation
I've created the new one respecting the FR language code.

Sorry again
Kind regards
Sophie

Per Eriksson Per Eriksson

Re: Reminder for localized wiki pages

  Hi Sophie,

Sophie Gautier skrev 2010-10-13 13:22:
> I'm the one who has writtent the rules and doesn't follow them :(
> Really sorry for that.
> Would you be able to delete this page:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/La_Fondation
> I've created the new one respecting the FR language code.

Thanks a lot for all your pages. No worries, it has now been deleted.

Will also move other pages soon to their respective languages.

Best

Per

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Per Eriksson schrieb:

> * Follow your language's namespace as outlined on the wiki first page.
> Prefix your pages with your language code so that we know which they
> belong to:
> XX/Page title
>
> * Also write the letters in uppercase.
>
> If following these instructions we will be able to handle our content in
> a very effective way, and know which content belongs to which language.
> It will also simplify administration for all native language communities.

Why are we doing this in a different way than MediaWiki seems to
manage that?

In MediaWiki localized pages carry a /xx suffix rather than a XX/
prefix. At the bottom of each page a box for language selection
automatically appears by using a template:
{{Languages|Customization}}

for example

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Customization
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Customization/ca
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Customization/cs
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Customization/de
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Customization/es
...and so on

Stefan

Danishka Navin Danishka Navin

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Per Eriksson <[hidden email]>wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> Just a friendly reminder when creating your localized pages in the wiki.
>
> * Follow your language's namespace as outlined on the wiki first page.
> Prefix your pages with your language code so that we know which they belong
> to:
> XX/Page title

what should I do if I want to publish same content in Sinhala and English to
my community?

--
Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Stefan Weigel wrote on 2010-10-13 13.44:
> In MediaWiki localized pages carry a /xx suffix rather than a XX/
> prefix. At the bottom of each page a box for language selection
> automatically appears by using a template:

this exactly how I want to do it, but didn't manage yet (see the mail
from Manuel Schneider on Oct 10th, 20:24 UTC+2).

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880

HenryGR HenryGR

Re: Reminder for localized wiki pages

Hi All

Need you help :-)

Just created one page with the translation in Spanish of the Manifesto For th Next
Decade. Now, I am not sure whether or not my coding is correct. The page I created
has the url:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/EN/Manifiesto_de_la_Pr%C3%B3xima_D%C3%A9cada

1. I am not sure whether I should use the /TDF/EN/ or just /EN/

2. Also, I erroneously created:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/EN/Next_Decade_Manifesto

and I do not know how to delete that unnecessary page.

Rgds,
Henry.

--
You keep going, have a Nice day!
¡Sigue adelante, Que tengas un buen día!

Consider the environment. Before printing this message, make sure is necessary.
Cuida el entorno. Antes de imprimir este mensaje, asegúrate de que es necesario.

Per Eriksson Per Eriksson

Florian Effenberger skrev 2010-10-13 13:47:
> Hi,
>
> Stefan Weigel wrote on 2010-10-13 13.44:
>> In MediaWiki localized pages carry a /xx suffix rather than a XX/
>> prefix. At the bottom of each page a box for language selection
>> automatically appears by using a template:
>
> this exactly how I want to do it, but didn't manage yet (see the mail
> from Manuel Schneider on Oct 10th, 20:24 UTC+2).

This is okay, we just have to do it as soon as possible before we get
too many people to re-educate and pages to care of.

Best

Per

Per Eriksson Per Eriksson

Re: Reminder for localized wiki pages

Stefan Weigel wrote on 2010-10-13 13.44:
>> In MediaWiki localized pages carry a /xx suffix rather than a XX/
>> prefix. At the bottom of each page a box for language selection
>> automatically appears by using a template:

Just one thought, how would you arrange a bunch of pages for a language
team which are originals, i.e. not a translation? The Swedish team for
example, will not have any translated documents, we will have a bunch of
documents describing our internal processes probably in our way. Would
they be english titled pages directly under /?

Best

Per

Nino Novak Nino Novak

On Wednesday 13 October 2010 13:44, Stefan Weigel wrote:
> Per Eriksson schrieb:

> > XX/Page title ...
>
> Why are we doing this in a different way than MediaWiki seems to
> manage that?

No answer but one possible argument: to better keep track of the wiki?

Mediawiki offers the possiblity to filter by prefix in several places
(e.g. Special:Prefixindex), so you can keep track of page trees without
being able to understand dozens of foreign languages.

I don't know how this could be achieved by pagetitle/xx - maybe you
know?

Nino

Stanislas Garret Stanislas Garret

Re: Reminder for localized wiki pages

Hi Henry,

1- Following the rules of the Main_Page, it should be /ES/ (Spanish) and not /EN/, I think.

2- If my memory's correct only administrators can remove pages.

Regards
Stan

Le 13/10/2010 14:41, HenryGR a écrit :

> Hi All
>
> Need you help :-)
>
> Just created one page with the translation in Spanish of the Manifesto For th Next
> Decade. Now, I am not sure whether or not my coding is correct. The page I created
> has the url:
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/EN/Manifiesto_de_la_Pr%C3%B3xima_D%C3%A9cada
>
> 1. I am not sure whether I should use the /TDF/EN/ or just /EN/
>
> 2. Also, I erroneously created:
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/EN/Next_Decade_Manifesto
>
> and I do not know how to delete that unnecessary page.
>
> Rgds,
> Henry.
>
> On 10/13/2010 01:22 PM, Sophie Gautier wrote:
>> Hi Per,
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Per Eriksson
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>   Hello,
>>>
>>> Just a friendly reminder when creating your localized pages in the wiki.
>>>
>>> * Follow your language's namespace as outlined on the wiki first page.
>>> Prefix your pages with your language code so that we know which they belong
>>> to:
>>> XX/Page title
>>>
>>> * Also write the letters in uppercase.
>>>
>>> If following these instructions we will be able to handle our content in a
>>> very effective way, and know which content belongs to which language. It
>>> will also simplify administration for all native language communities.
>> I'm the one who has writtent the rules and doesn't follow them :(
>> Really sorry for that.
>> Would you be able to delete this page:
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/La_Fondation
>> I've created the new one respecting the FR language code.
>>
>> Sorry again
>> Kind regards
>> Sophie

HenryGR HenryGR

Re: Reminder for localized wiki pages

Oops!

What a stupid mistake. Sorry!

Thanks Stan.

Per Eriksson schrieb:

> Stefan Weigel wrote on 2010-10-13 13.44:

>>> In MediaWiki localized pages carry a /xx suffix rather than a XX/
>>> prefix. At the bottom of each page a box for language selection
>>> automatically appears by using a template:

> Just one thought, how would you arrange a bunch of pages for a language
> team which are originals, i.e. not a translation? The Swedish team for
> example, will not have any translated documents, we will have a bunch of
> documents describing our internal processes probably in our way. Would
> they be english titled pages directly under /?

Good point. It would be good to consult some MediaWiki expert, who
is aware of the concepts. Maybe there are already mature concepts
for structuring a wiki for large projects with subprojects.

Stefan

Hirano Kazunari Hirano Kazunari

Re: Reminder for localized wiki pages

Hi Per,

I saw Cor made the following page.
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/NL/Next_Decade_Manifesto
I made the following page.
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/JA/Next_Decade_Manifesto

Now which is correct or which is better when we translate
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/Next_Decade_Manifesto
and create a page for the translation?

Thanks,
khirano

--
Kazunari Hirano - Marketing Project Coordinator - OpenOffice.org
Japanese Language Project

epix epix

Re: Reminder for localized wiki pages

Hi Khirano, *

thanks for pointing this out, we did
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/DE/TDF/Next_Decade_Manifesto

Am 14.10.2010 09:09, schrieb Kazunari Hirano:
> I saw Cor made the following page.
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/NL/Next_Decade_Manifesto
> I made the following page.
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/JA/Next_Decade_Manifesto
>
> Now which is correct or which is better when we translate
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/Next_Decade_Manifesto
> and create a page for the translation?

Hm? Thanks for suggestions,

Erich

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Re: Reminder for localized wiki pages

Hi Nino,

Nino Novak schrieb:

>>> XX/Page title ...
>> Why are we doing this in a different way than MediaWiki seems to
>> manage that?
>
> No answer but one possible argument: to better keep track of the wiki?
>
> Mediawiki offers the possiblity to filter by prefix in several places
> (e.g. Special:Prefixindex), so you can keep track of page trees without
> being able to understand dozens of foreign languages.
>
> I don't know how this could be achieved by pagetitle/xx - maybe you
> know?

I think, that´s what categories are for.

Stefan

Per Eriksson Per Eriksson

Stefan Weigel skrev 2010-10-17 09:36:
> Hi Nino,
>
> I think, that´s what categories are for.

I think the Swedish community will have a bigger use of localized web
pages, as they are key pages for the visitor. The wiki will be a
collaboration area with all the bleeding edge stuff, so we will not have
the time to translate everything new that is getting there every day. :-)

Per Eriksson schrieb:

> I think the Swedish community will have a bigger use of localized web
> pages, as they are key pages for the visitor. The wiki will be a
> collaboration area with all the bleeding edge stuff, so we will not have
> the time to translate everything new that is getting there every day. :-)

The convention pagetitle/xx means that translated pages can easily
be handled, because there is a ready-to-use plugin for the wiki
engine. At least that´s what I have been told. I am not an expert.

The convention pagetitle/xx does not mean that pages have to be
translated. There is no need for translating "everything new that is
getting there every day".

:-)

Stefan