Remove CREDITS.odt?

athomas athomas

Remove CREDITS.odt?

Hi,

I've seen the latest "About LibreOffice" window from master, which is
pretty awesome. There is a link "Contributer credits" to the online
version of the credits. At Help->LibreOffice Credits there is a link to
the offline CREDITS.odt which is out of sync with the online version.

Question is: Is Help->Libreoffice Credits menu entry necessary at all if
there's a link to it within the about window? I don't think so. If we
remove it, we could remove CREDITS.odt as well. Or at least we need to
sync them.

Any comments?

Thomas
Thorsten Behrens Thorsten Behrens

Re: Remove CREDITS.odt?

Thomas Arnhold wrote:
> Question is: Is Help->Libreoffice Credits menu entry necessary at
> all if there's a link to it within the about window? I don't think
> so. If we remove it, we could remove CREDITS.odt as well. Or at
> least we need to sync them.

Hm, given the wide range of environments LibreOffice is deployed,
I'd think a offline version has its charme - would you maybe want to
sync with spaetz on updating the credits.odt every once in a while?

Thanks for catching this,

-- Thorsten

athomas athomas

Re: Remove CREDITS.odt?

On 07/04/2011 09:14 PM, Thorsten Behrens wrote:

>> Question is: Is Help->Libreoffice Credits menu entry necessary at
>> all if there's a link to it within the about window? I don't think
>> so. If we remove it, we could remove CREDITS.odt as well. Or at
>> least we need to sync them.
>>
> Hm, given the wide range of environments LibreOffice is deployed,
> I'd think a offline version has its charme - would you maybe want to
> sync with spaetz on updating the credits.odt every once in a while?
>
> Thanks for catching this,

This is a good point. Is there any packaging script if a release rolls
out? Maybe credits.odt update could be done automatically within this.

Thomas
spaetz spaetz

Re: Remove CREDITS.odt?

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 15:11:53 +0200, Thomas Arnhold <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is a good point. Is there any packaging script if a release rolls
> out? Maybe credits.odt update could be done automatically within this.

It was planned to create it automatically via a script. For now, I
simply run it from time to time on my laptop, creating an .html file
which had been manually converted to .odt.

Sebastian

Michael Meeks Michael Meeks

Re: Remove CREDITS.odt?

Hi Sebastian,

On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 11:56 +0200, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> It was planned to create it automatically via a script. For now, I
> simply run it from time to time on my laptop, creating an .html file
> which had been manually converted to .odt.

        Ah - so, we can prolly do that during the build with a little effort;
is your script in git ? perhaps we can add a:

        'make prerelease'

        type script that will do some checks, and create the updated credits
file (?). Any chance of a patch for that :-)

        Thanks,

                Michael.

spaetz spaetz

Re: Remove CREDITS.odt?

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 12:24:55 +0100, Michael Meeks <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > It was planned to create it automatically via a script. For now, I
> > simply run it from time to time on my laptop, creating an .html file
> > which had been manually converted to .odt.
>
> Ah - so, we can prolly do that during the build with a little effort;
> is your script in git ? perhaps we can add a:
>
> 'make prerelease'
>
> type script that will do some checks, and create the updated credits
> file (?). Any chance of a patch for that :-)
My script is currently in bitbucket https://bitbucket.org/spaetz/gitanaly/overview
and uses mostly Cedric's config files for email aliases and affiliation.
(git://people.freedesktop.org/~cbosdo/gitdm-lo-config)

I have some local adaptations on who to count as individual and not
which I promised people to keep private, but that is not needed for the
credit page generation anyway.

SHM_GET had intended to move things over to the git contrib repo at some
point and set up the creation on one of the LO servers, but I am not
sure how far he has gotten there.

Sebastian

Petr Mladek Petr Mladek

Re: Remove CREDITS.odt?

Sebastian Spaeth píše v Po 11. 07. 2011 v 14:22 +0200:

> On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 12:24:55 +0100, Michael Meeks <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > It was planned to create it automatically via a script. For now, I
> > > simply run it from time to time on my laptop, creating an .html file
> > > which had been manually converted to .odt.
> >
> > Ah - so, we can prolly do that during the build with a little effort;
> > is your script in git ? perhaps we can add a:
> >
> > 'make prerelease'
> >
> > type script that will do some checks, and create the updated credits
> > file (?). Any chance of a patch for that :-)
>
> My script is currently in bitbucket https://bitbucket.org/spaetz/gitanaly/overview
> and uses mostly Cedric's config files for email aliases and affiliation.
> (git://people.freedesktop.org/~cbosdo/gitdm-lo-config)
>
> I have some local adaptations on who to count as individual and not
> which I promised people to keep private, but that is not needed for the
> credit page generation anyway.
>
> SHM_GET had intended to move things over to the git contrib repo at some
> point and set up the creation on one of the LO servers, but I am not
> sure how far he has gotten there.

It would even make sense to have it bootstrap/bin or bootstrap/solenv.

I like the Michael's idea with 'make prerelease'. I already update
version using the script "libreoffice/build/bin/lo-set-version" before
doing the release tag. I do not mind to call another script but it
should be easy and easily accessible :-)

Best Regards,
Petr

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 11:51 +0200, Petr Mladek wrote:
> It would even make sense to have it bootstrap/bin or bootstrap/solenv.

        I agree; anything in a 'contrib' repository doesn't exist for me, since
it takes time and effort to a) work out where that repo is, and b) check
things out of it, so I don't. Unless it is in the default work flow - it
doesn't really exist IMHO.

> I like the Michael's idea with 'make prerelease'.

        It would be my preferred approach to have -everything- we actually need
and is genuinely useful put in a place where people can easily discover
that ie. "wow, I already have it on my disk, why not use it". Of course,
if it is a 1Gb lookup table, then - perhaps not ;-) but it seems crazy
to me to hide things useful to developers / packagers in places where
they will not be found / used. I have zero contrib repos checked out
currently - up from zero in past times ;->

> I do not mind to call another script but it should be easy and
> easily accessible :-)

        Amen ;-) preferably it is simply integrated into a single 'make' rule
that can be cleanly documented, and consistently used.

        ATB,

                Michael.

Norbert Thiebaud Norbert Thiebaud

Re: Remove CREDITS.odt?

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Michael Meeks <[hidden email]> wrote:

>but it seems crazy
> to me to hide things useful to developers / packagers in places where
> they will not be found / used. I have zero contrib repos checked out
> currently - up from zero in past times ;->

There are the 'saw-the-branch-you-sit-on' kind of scripts.
For instance tinderbox.

I favor having one repo with such tools and extras. you don't want
these stuff to be bound to the main versioning.

Of course in the case specified we are talking about 'build/packaging'
step. it make sens that this be in the core repo.
But if it is not needed for the product to run or for the product to
be configured/built/packaged, it should not pollute the main repo.

Norbert