Removing MinGW cross-compilation scenario?

sberg sberg

Removing MinGW cross-compilation scenario?

Any objections against removing on master the code that allowed to build
LO for Windows on Linux via MinGW?

I think it is generally considered a failed attempt by now, and I assume
the code is already rotting.  But there is still code around which
occasionally becomes the target of fruitless maintenance, see e.g.
<https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=f8e77c0894f5eb4495edb79a387f0deb63830226>
"Revert 'tdf#99589 tolower changed to rtl::toAsciiLowerCase'".
jan iversen jan iversen

Re: Removing MinGW cross-compilation scenario?

> On 7 Feb 2017, at 16:54, Stephan Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Any objections against removing on master the code that allowed to build LO for Windows on Linux via MinGW?
Sounds like a good idea, I just checked the wiki, and there does not seem to be any important mentioning of MinGW (like a page with build instructions), the references I found mostly tell about the problems.

Rgds
jan I.
David Tardon David Tardon

On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 04:54:27PM +0100, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> Any objections against removing on master the code that allowed to build LO
> for Windows on Linux via MinGW?
>
> I think it is generally considered a failed attempt by now, and I assume the
> code is already rotting.  But there is still code around which occasionally
> becomes the target of fruitless maintenance, see e.g. <https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=f8e77c0894f5eb4495edb79a387f0deb63830226>
> "Revert 'tdf#99589 tolower changed to rtl::toAsciiLowerCase'".

By a coincidence, I was thinking about sending the same mail. Just my
reasoning was oriented on the build system: all the MinGW-specific bits
in gbuild/configure and additional patches for external projects. So I
am all for the removal.

D.
sberg sberg

On 02/07/2017 04:54 PM, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> Any objections against removing on master the code that allowed to build
> LO for Windows on Linux via MinGW?

Done,
<https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=8646ab97dc37c0606b19057686bf3d610f9c15ee>
"Remove MinGW support".