Repeat a footnote

John Jason Jordan-2 John Jason Jordan-2

Repeat a footnote

I created a footnote to define a term in a document. All went well,
except that the term occurs in more than one location on the same page
and I want to duplicate the number of the footnote in the text for the
other instances of the term, but have the text of the footnote appear
only once at the bottom of the page.

I started by copying the '1' after the first instance of the term and
pasting it at the end of the second instance of the term, but this
created a new footnote '2' with the text of the footnote at the bottom
of the page duplicated.

So I deleted footnote 2 and decided that I would just put a superscript
'1' at the end of the subsequent instances of the term. This works, but
I can't get the superscript 1 to look the same as the footnote '1.' The
footnote '1' is in some other font and heaven knows what size and
position it is in. I can select it, but selecting paragraph or character
dialog window doesn't reveal what its settings are. The character
dialog box just says it is 'normal.' The paragraph dialog box has a tab
for indents and spacing, which just echoes the style that is applied to
the whole paragraph, and the font tab is missing.

Where are the settings for the superscript numerals used in a footnote?

mikey mikey

Re: Repeat a footnote

just type the "1" then apply character style "Footnote Anchor" to it.

[image: Screenshot from 2020-06-14 16-50-38.png]

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 4:37 PM John Jason Jordan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I created a footnote to define a term in a document. All went well,
> except that the term occurs in more than one location on the same page
> and I want to duplicate the number of the footnote in the text for the
> other instances of the term, but have the text of the footnote appear
> only once at the bottom of the page.
>
> I started by copying the '1' after the first instance of the term and
> pasting it at the end of the second instance of the term, but this
> created a new footnote '2' with the text of the footnote at the bottom
> of the page duplicated.
>
> So I deleted footnote 2 and decided that I would just put a superscript
> '1' at the end of the subsequent instances of the term. This works, but
> I can't get the superscript 1 to look the same as the footnote '1.' The
> footnote '1' is in some other font and heaven knows what size and
> position it is in. I can select it, but selecting paragraph or character
> dialog window doesn't reveal what its settings are. The character
> dialog box just says it is 'normal.' The paragraph dialog box has a tab
> for indents and spacing, which just echoes the style that is applied to
> the whole paragraph, and the font tab is missing.
>
> Where are the settings for the superscript numerals used in a footnote?

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Repeat a footnote

At 14:35 14/06/2020 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:

>I created a footnote to define a term in a document. All went well,
>except that the term occurs in more than one location on the same
>page and I want to duplicate the number of the footnote in the text
>for the other instances of the term, but have the text of the
>footnote appear only once at the bottom of the page.
>
>[...] I [...] decided that I would just put a superscript '1' at the
>end of the subsequent instances of the term. This works, but I can't
>get the superscript 1 to look the same as the footnote '1.' The
>footnote '1' is in some other font and heaven knows what size and
>position it is in. I can select it, but selecting paragraph or
>character dialog window doesn't reveal what its settings are.

You should expect that: everything worth doing is done via styles! As
has already been suggested, what you need is the Footnote Anchor
character style.

But that isn't quite the whole story. Footnote anchors and footnotes
are hyperlinks to each other, so you need only click on the footnote
anchor to skip to the associated footnote. Inserting an extra anchor
and formatting it appropriately will give the right appearance but
not that function. Try this as well:
o Insert the new anchor number and format it as above.
o Select the anchor number.
o Go to Insert | Cross-reference... .
o On the Cross-references tab of the Fields dialogue, select
Footnotes for Type and the relevant footnote under Selection.
o Click Insert and Close.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

remygauthier remygauthier

Re: Repeat a footnote

Instead of just putting a superscript 1 to refer to the footnote, use
Insert  -> Cross-Reference -> Cross-Reference, then Type is Footnotes,
Insert reference to is Reference, and then select your footnote. Using
this method, your text will be correct if the footnote number changes.
And apply Michael's suggestion to format the new reference.
Michael, thanks for the "Footnote Anchor" info: I was not aware of that
one.
I hope this helps.