Replace normal font with superscript of only a portion of a term

Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3

Replace normal font with superscript of only a portion of a term

Good afternoon
I am using LibreOffice on Windows and Linux machines. At home (Windows
8.1) = newest version.
Work place (Windows XP) = 4.2.4.2
Work place (kubuntu 14.04) = 4.2.8.2

At home I created a document (translation work) that includes a
trademark term, like xxxTM,
where the TM is superscript.
When I opened that document here in my office all those "TM"
superscripts were back to normal font.
On both Windows and Linux machines
Why?
This should not happen in the first place.

I briefly (I am currently a little pressed for time) tried to do a
Search and Replace.
However I could not figure out, how to tell the computer to make ONLY
"TM" superscript.
Using the "Format" option does not work, since it give me EVERYTHING in
superscript (or normal font).

There surely must be a way to do this!
What is the trick?

Thank you
Thomas

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Replace normal font with superscript of only a portion of a term

At 15:40 29/07/2015 +0900, Thomas Noname wrote:

>I am using LibreOffice on Windows and Linux machines. At home
>(Windows 8.1) = newest version.
>Work place (Windows XP) = 4.2.4.2
>Work place (kubuntu 14.04) = 4.2.8.2
>
>At home I created a document (translation work) that includes a
>trademark term, like xxxTM, where the TM is superscript. When I
>opened that document here in my office all those "TM" superscripts
>were back to normal font. On both Windows and Linux machines Why?
>This should not happen in the first place.

Don't know. Indeed it shouldn't happen. Are you saving the documents
in LibreOffice's native .odt format or (unwisely) in some foreign format?

>I briefly (I am currently a little pressed for time) tried to do a
>Search and Replace. However I could not figure out, how to tell the
>computer to make ONLY "TM" superscript.
>Using the "Format" option does not work, since it give me EVERYTHING
>in superscript (or normal font). There surely must be a way to do this!

There sure is. Search for "TM" and replace with "TM" (no quotes). Put
the cursor in the "Replace with" field and click Format... . Under
Position, select Superscript. You might not want to Replace All, or
you will change things such as "uTMost"!

Incidentally, you very probably shouldn't be using two superscripted
capital letters for this, but instead the single Unicode character
"TRADE MARK SIGN" (U+2122), which you should find in all normal
fonts. Find this at Insert | Special Character...; no need for superscripting.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

On 2015/07/29 16:09, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 15:40 29/07/2015 +0900, Thomas Noname wrote:
>
> Don't know. Indeed it shouldn't happen. Are you saving the documents
> in LibreOffice's native .odt format or (unwisely) in some foreign format?
ODT format. As pure as it comes.

> There sure is. Search for "TM" and replace with "TM" (no quotes). Put
> the cursor in the "Replace with" field and click Format... . Under
> Position, select Superscript. You might not want to Replace All, or
> you will change things such as "uTMost"!

If I understand you correctly: there IS no way of replacing a string of
characters with mixed formatting (like normal + superscript).

> Incidentally, you very probably shouldn't be using two superscripted
> capital letters for this, but instead the single Unicode character
> "TRADE MARK SIGN" (U+2122), which you should find in all normal fonts.
> Find this at Insert | Special Character...; no need for superscripting.
I imagine that. However, xxxTM is the way the customer itself specifies
its product - as a registered trademark.
Would it be permissible (for me) to change that?

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: Replace normal font with superscript of only a portion of a term

> On 2015/07/29 16:09, Brian Barker wrote:
>
>> At 15:40 29/07/2015 +0900, Thomas Noname wrote:
>>
>> Don't know. Indeed it shouldn't happen. Are you saving the documents in
>> LibreOffice's native .odt format or (unwisely) in some foreign format?
>>
> ODT format. As pure as it comes.
>

>> There sure is. Search for "TM" and replace with "TM" (no quotes). Put the
>> cursor in the "Replace with" field and click Format... . Under Position,
>> select Superscript. You might not want to Replace All, or you will change
>> things such as "uTMost"!
>>
>>  If I understand you correctly: there IS no way of replacing a string of
> characters with mixed formatting (like normal + superscript).
>
>  Incidentally, you very probably shouldn't be using two superscripted
>> capital letters for this, but instead the single Unicode character "TRADE
>> MARK SIGN" (U+2122), which you should find in all normal fonts. Find this
>> at Insert | Special Character...; no need for superscripting.
>>
> I imagine that. However, xxxTM is the way the customer itself specifies
> its product - as a registered trademark.
> Would it be permissible (for me) to change that?

​Thomas, as an addendum to Brian Barker's post above, on your Linux system,
the trademark symbol can easily be typed in as a superscript by holding

​Henri​

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 19:39 29/07/2015 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>On 2015/07/29 16:09, Brian Barker wrote:
>>Search for "TM" and replace with "TM" (no quotes). Put the cursor
>>in the "Replace with" field and click Format... . Under Position,
>>select Superscript. You might not want to Replace All, or you will
>>change things such as "uTMost"!
>
>If I understand you correctly: there IS no way of replacing a string
>of characters with mixed formatting (like normal + superscript).

No, you clearly don't understand me correctly: I had just explained
(above) how you do this!

You want to find occurrences of non-superscripted "TM" - even within
a word, so to speak - and to superscript just the TM but leave the
rest of word as it is? Just do what I suggested:
o For "Search for", enter "TM" (no quotes).
o For "Replace with", enter "TM" (no quotes).
o Put the cursor in the "Replace with" field and click Format... .
o On the Position tab, under Position select Superscript.
o Click Find and Replace as necessary to change the text.
I suggested that you might *not* want to use Replace All in this
context, or you will superscript the letters "TM" where they happen
to occur naturally in the text - such as in the word "UTMOST", which
would get its buried "TM" inappropriately superscripted.

>>Incidentally, you very probably shouldn't be using two
>>superscripted capital letters for this, but instead the single
>>Unicode character "TRADE MARK SIGN" (U+2122), which you should find
>>in all normal fonts. Find this at Insert | Special Character...; no
>>need for superscripting.
>
>I imagine that. However, xxxTM is the way the customer itself
>specifies its product - as a registered trademark. Would it be
>permissible (for me) to change that?

Perhaps you haven't looked at the trademark symbol. Its appearance is
of the superscripted letters "TM", but it is a single character and
is naturally raised without having to be given Superscript format. In
a temperature, would you use a superscripted letter "o" or a proper
degree symbol? If your client doesn't know the right way to do the
trademark symbol, are you allowed to get it right?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker