Reply-To default behaviour

Daniel A. Rodriguez Daniel A. Rodriguez

Reply-To default behaviour

Several users from spanish users list are wondering if it is possible
to configure the mailing list and set reply-to header as mailing list
address [hidden email][1]. With this setup, if the user
click "reply" in his email client, the message is sent to mailing
list, instead of the author.

At this time if a subscriber reply to a mailing list message, it's
sent to the author only. Each subscriber should use "Reply to All"
every time, to post a reply to mailing list.

[1] Related thread: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/es/users/msg02962.html

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: Reply-To default behaviour

Amen to that!

Charles.

Guilhem Moulin Guilhem Moulin

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 at 14:31:29 -0300, Daniel A. Rodriguez wrote:
> Several users from spanish users list are wondering if it is possible
> to configure the mailing list and set reply-to header as mailing list
> address [hidden email][1]. With this setup, if the user
> click "reply" in his email client, the message is sent to mailing
> list, instead of the author.
>
> At this time if a subscriber reply to a mailing list message, it's
> sent to the author only. Each subscriber should use "Reply to All"
> every time, to post a reply to mailing list.

I'm surprised the mail client doesn't offer a “Reply to list” button
since mlmmj adds a “List-Id” header to the mails it relays.

Adding a “Reply-To” header now means private mails might end up being
posted to the mailing list, so I'd be reluctant to make such change
without consensus from list members.  Xisco (list owner), what's your
opinion on the matter?

Guilhem.

Jean-Baptiste Faure-3 Jean-Baptiste Faure-3

Re: Reply-To default behaviour

Hi,

Le 18/04/2017 à 08:36, Guilhem Moulin a écrit :

> On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 at 14:31:29 -0300, Daniel A. Rodriguez wrote:
>> Several users from spanish users list are wondering if it is possible
>> to configure the mailing list and set reply-to header as mailing list
>> address [hidden email][1]. With this setup, if the user
>> click "reply" in his email client, the message is sent to mailing
>> list, instead of the author.
>>
>> At this time if a subscriber reply to a mailing list message, it's
>> sent to the author only. Each subscriber should use "Reply to All"
>> every time, to post a reply to mailing list.
>
> I'm surprised the mail client doesn't offer a “Reply to list” button
> since mlmmj adds a “List-Id” header to the mails it relays.

Perhaps the problem occurs when the user uses a webmail. For me, with
Thunderbird, the reply is to list by default.

Best regards.
JBF

Disclaimer: my Internet Provider being located in France, each of our
exchanges over Internet will be scanned by French spying services.

K-J LibreOffice K-J LibreOffice

Am 18.04.2017 um 09:19 schrieb Jean-Baptiste Faure:

> Hi,
>
> Le 18/04/2017 à 08:36, Guilhem Moulin a écrit :
>> On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 at 14:31:29 -0300, Daniel A. Rodriguez wrote:
>>> Several users from spanish users list are wondering if it is possible
>>> to configure the mailing list and set reply-to header as mailing list
>>> address [hidden email][1]. With this setup, if the user
>>> click "reply" in his email client, the message is sent to mailing
>>> list, instead of the author.
>>>
>>> At this time if a subscriber reply to a mailing list message, it's
>>> sent to the author only. Each subscriber should use "Reply to All"
>>> every time, to post a reply to mailing list.
>>
>> I'm surprised the mail client doesn't offer a “Reply to list” button
>> since mlmmj adds a “List-Id” header to the mails it relays.
>
> Perhaps the problem occurs when the user uses a webmail.

Or a mobil phone client.

> For me, with
> Thunderbird, the reply is to list by default.

+1

And I think sending out a private mail to list causes much more problems
than sending a list mail to private. (I always check it twice to whom I
send the mail)

--
Grüße
k-j

Member of TheDocumentFoundation
https://www.documentfoundation.org/governance/members/
https://de.libreoffice.org
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/

Xisco Fauli Xisco Fauli

Re: Reply-To default behaviour

El 18/04/17 a les 08:36, Guilhem Moulin ha escrit:

> On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 at 14:31:29 -0300, Daniel A. Rodriguez wrote:
>> Several users from spanish users list are wondering if it is possible
>> to configure the mailing list and set reply-to header as mailing list
>> address [hidden email][1]. With this setup, if the user
>> click "reply" in his email client, the message is sent to mailing
>> list, instead of the author.
>>
>> At this time if a subscriber reply to a mailing list message, it's
>> sent to the author only. Each subscriber should use "Reply to All"
>> every time, to post a reply to mailing list.
> I'm surprised the mail client doesn't offer a “Reply to list” button
> since mlmmj adds a “List-Id” header to the mails it relays.
I use Thunderbird and I have the option 'Reply to List' in the the
spanish mailing list too.

> Adding a “Reply-To” header now means private mails might end up being
> posted to the mailing list, so I'd be reluctant to make such change
> without consensus from list members.  Xisco (list owner), what's your
> opinion on the matter?
I agree with you. Users should use 'Reply to List' or 'Reply to all' in
order to answer to the list. As you said, changing the behavior of
'Reply to' might cause some confusions and problems among users.

Xisco Faulí
Libreoffice QA Team
IRC: x1sc0

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Guilhem Moulin wrote on 2017-04-18 at 08:36:
> Adding a “Reply-To” header now means private mails might end up being
> posted to the mailing list, so I'd be reluctant to make such change
> without consensus from list members.  Xisco (list owner), what's your
> opinion on the matter?

we had the other behaviour at the very early stage of the project, I
configured it that way. After plenty of discussions, we settle with the
current variant - which does make sense indeed. I acknowledge the risk
of a private mail going out to the list, so the current setting is
better IMHO... I wouldn't touch it, actually.

Florian