Reply settings on this list have changed

Next » 12345
Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Reply settings on this list have changed

Hello,

this is to inform you that the reply settings on this list have changed
(so-called "Reply to mangling" has been disabled).

So far, e-mails had set a reply-to the mailing list address. In other
words, with any e-mail client, replies to e-mails on the list were
automatically sent directly to the list.

In the past, this lead to two major problems:

1. Several times, people have sent direct replies to the public list,
where deleting them is nearly impossible. I remember at least one case
where confidential information has been sent out that caused lots of
worries for the sender and his employer. This happened because people
hit "reply" and thought it would reply to the sender only.

2. I have heard complaints in the past from people, stating that working
with the non-developer lists of LibreOffice is a pain for them, because
of reply-to mangling, resulting in a lack of communication. This also
led to the fact that numerous tasks were done by the same people, who
needed to spend more and more time, instead of sharing the work burden
with others. While I do not fully believe this argument, there's just
one way to find out...

Therefore, I have applied a change:

Replies to e-mails from the list now only go to the original sender. You
either need to use the "reply to all" feature of your e-mail program, or
- preferably - the "reply to list"/"reply to group" feature, which will
direct replies directly to the list.

This is common practice on most mailing lists, and even the default
setting for our mailing list software, so we did not re-invent the wheel
here. Those seeking for details should have a look at

I know we had numerous discussions on this topic in the past, but the
outcome was that roughly 50% were for this change, and 50% refused it,
so I am really sitting between two chairs here, for which I beg for your
understanding. On the one hand, those complaining the lists are unusable
with reply-to mangling, on the other hand, those complaining the lists
are unusable without reply-to mangling. Unfortunately, combining those
two, even on a per-recipient basis, is not possible, so they are
mutually exclusive to each other.

In order to find out the real impact, I simply changed the setting, and
again, I beg for your understanding.

Do not worry: The mailing lists are for the community, so it's the
community deciding how they should work. What I'd like to ask all of you
is to try out for a few days if that change is good for each list or
not. Should we find out it is more harmful than it helps, I will
immediately switch back to the old behaviour.

Sorry for this short notice, and I beg for your understanding that I'm
somehow sitting between two chairs here.

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Reply settings on this list have changed

       Just testing;
          and find this may be the silliest way of setting a list I've seen.

       If someone cannot take the minute time to check the 'to' 'cc' 'bcc'
then the 'subject' line, then are they smart enough to operate a machine
;-)
          or to handle any secure documents  ;-)

       Just curiously wondering - by the way, I assume you, Florian, will
receive 2 copies of this;
          when you tire of receiving duplicate messages, maybe you'll
return this list to resemble other lists  ;-)

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 18:31 12/08/2012 +0200, Florian Effenberger wrote:
>this is to inform you that the reply settings on this list have
>changed (so-called "Reply to mangling" has been disabled).

Well done!

This new way fails safe.  A message intended to be public may get
sent privately by mistake - a minor inconvenience that can easily be
remedied by sending the message again correctly.  The old method
risked messages intended to be private being sent publicly - a
unfortunate consequence that simply cannot be undone.

Interestingly, there's an argument that list processors have no
business inserting a Reply-To header, which is instead the sole
domain of the message's author.  RFC 2822 appears to require this:
'When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it indicates the mailbox(es)
to which the *author* of the message suggests that replies be sent"
(my emphasis).  The author of a message, of course, is not the list.

Brian Barker

Anthony Easthope Anthony Easthope

Re: Reply settings on this list have changed

I quite like this idea of change as it now seems that less mistakes
should be made!

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, at 01:33 AM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 18:31 12/08/2012 +0200, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> >this is to inform you that the reply settings on this list have
> >changed (so-called "Reply to mangling" has been disabled).
>
> Well done!
>
> This new way fails safe.  A message intended to be public may get
> sent privately by mistake - a minor inconvenience that can easily be
> remedied by sending the message again correctly.  The old method
> risked messages intended to be private being sent publicly - a
> unfortunate consequence that simply cannot be undone.
>
> Interestingly, there's an argument that list processors have no
> business inserting a Reply-To header, which is instead the sole
> domain of the message's author.  RFC 2822 appears to require this:
> 'When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it indicates the mailbox(es)
> to which the *author* of the message suggests that replies be sent"
> (my emphasis).  The author of a message, of course, is not the list.
>
> Brian Barker

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Reply settings on this list have changed

I did not know that you could "make" the email client state "Reply List"
instead of the text on the "Reply All" button.  I run Thunderbird 14.0.

I have to get use to using the "Reply List" instead of "Reply" to post a
message to the thread.  It could be confusing to people, but does make
it easier to send a message to the poster, off list.  I use to copy the
email address of the poster and then paste it to my "To:" section.  This
will be easier to do that, but hopefully not too many people will forget
to use the "new" "Reply List" button instead of the "Reply" button.

Felmon Davis Felmon Davis

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:

> I did not know that you could "make" the email client state "Reply List"
> instead of the text on the "Reply All" button.  I run Thunderbird 14.0.
>
> I have to get use to using the "Reply List" instead of "Reply" to post a
> message to the thread.  It could be confusing to people, but does make it
> easier to send a message to the poster, off list.  I use to copy the email
> address of the poster and then paste it to my "To:" section.  This will be
> easier to do that, but hopefully not too many people will forget to use the
> "new" "Reply List" button instead of the "Reply" button.

myself, I am not so clear why people are interested in sending private
email to people on a public list. I did it yesterday but only because
I had trouble posting to the list and was overeager to get my word
('hucksterism') in.

the default mode on a list of replying to the list made sense to me.
not a big deal for me since I mostly lurk.

F.

--
Felmon Davis

Most of the fear that spoils our life comes from attacking
difficulties
before we get to them.
                 -- Dr. Frank Crane

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Reply settings on this list have changed

       exactly, therefore to change the default, you're changing this list
to where folks will now be corresponding privately rather than allowing the
list to hear what's new and learn from others.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Felmon Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:

>> I did not know that you could "make" the email client state "Reply List"
>> instead of the text on the "Reply All" button.  I run Thunderbird 14.0.
>>
>> I have to get use to using the "Reply List" instead of "Reply" to post a
>> message to the thread.  It could be confusing to people, but does make it
>> easier to send a message to the poster, off list.  I use to copy the email
>> address of the poster and then paste it to my "To:" section.  This will be
>> easier to do that, but hopefully not too many people will forget to use the
>> "new" "Reply List" button instead of the "Reply" button.
>>

> myself, I am not so clear why people are interested in sending private
> email to people on a public list. I did it yesterday but only because I had
> trouble posting to the list and was overeager to get my word
> ('hucksterism') in.
>
> the default mode on a list of replying to the list made sense to me. not a
> big deal for me since I mostly lurk.
>
> F.
>

> --
> Felmon Davis

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Reply settings on this list have changed

I just posted a reply to a thread to the last poster instead of the
thread by mistake.  I am so use to pressing "Reply" and the next button
being "Reply All", that I now have to remember to skip the "Reply"
button and remember that the "Reply All" button has been replaced with
"Reply List".  This may cause some problems, if too many of our list
users get the reply posting that were meant to go to the lists instead.

Christian L. just sent me a notice that my posting went to him instead
the "How can I know which one is a spam?" thread in the Website list.

I nearly sent this posting to "anne-ology" instead of the User list.
This is going to be a problem, maybe.

On 08/13/2012 01:06 PM, anne-ology wrote:

>         exactly, therefore to change the default, you're changing this list
> to where folks will now be corresponding privately rather than allowing the
> list to hear what's new and learn from others.
>

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Felmon Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:
>>
>>> I did not know that you could "make" the email client state "Reply List"
>>> instead of the text on the "Reply All" button.  I run Thunderbird 14.0.
>>>
>>> I have to get use to using the "Reply List" instead of "Reply" to post a
>>> message to the thread.  It could be confusing to people, but does make it
>>> easier to send a message to the poster, off list.  I use to copy the email
>>> address of the poster and then paste it to my "To:" section.  This will be
>>> easier to do that, but hopefully not too many people will forget to use the
>>> "new" "Reply List" button instead of the "Reply" button.
>>>
>> myself, I am not so clear why people are interested in sending private
>> email to people on a public list. I did it yesterday but only because I had
>> trouble posting to the list and was overeager to get my word
>> ('hucksterism') in.
>>
>> the default mode on a list of replying to the list made sense to me. not a
>> big deal for me since I mostly lurk.
>>
>> F.
>>

>> --
>> Felmon Davis

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Reply settings on this list have changed

       exactly.

       Let's take a poll - (1) to return this list to being an actual list
                                     or
                                 (2) to change this from a list to private
communications between only select ones, depriving the group of learning
the ins & outs of LO.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 12:23 PM, webmaster-Kracked_P_P <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just posted a reply to a thread to the last poster instead of the thread
> by mistake.  I am so use to pressing "Reply" and the next button being
> remember that the "Reply All" button has been replaced with "Reply List".
>  This may cause some problems, if too many of our list users get the reply
> posting that were meant to go to the lists instead.
>
> Christian L. just sent me a notice that my posting went to him instead the
> "How can I know which one is a spam?" thread in the Website list.
>
> I nearly sent this posting to "anne-ology" instead of the User list.  This
> is going to be a problem, maybe.
>

> On 08/13/2012 01:06 PM, anne-ology wrote:
>
>>         exactly, therefore to change the default, you're changing this
>> list
>> to where folks will now be corresponding privately rather than allowing
>> the
>> list to hear what's new and learn from others.
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Felmon Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:
>>

>>>  I did not know that you could "make" the email client state "Reply List"

>>> email to people on a public list. I did it yesterday but only because I
>>> had
>>> trouble posting to the list and was overeager to get my word
>>> ('hucksterism') in.
>>>
>>> the default mode on a list of replying to the list made sense to me. not
>>> big deal for me since I mostly lurk.
>>>
>>> F.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Felmon Davis

Anthony Easthope Anthony Easthope

Re: Reply settings on this list have changed

To me it seems fairly straightforward. I use Opera mail and it is great
for mailing lists as it groups all replies to one thread in a
conversation view. it also has a *Reply to list and a *Reply all
functionality. It only seems logical to me to hit "reply to list" as
that is what it is. anyway as the cliche goes I was "jus sayin"

Regards
Anthony

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, at 09:19 PM, anne-ology wrote:

>        exactly.
>
>        Let's take a poll - (1) to return this list to being an actual
>        list
>                                      or
>                                  (2) to change this from a list to
>                                  private
> communications between only select ones, depriving the group of learning
> the ins & outs of LO.
>

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 12:23 PM, webmaster-Kracked_P_P <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > I just posted a reply to a thread to the last poster instead of the thread
> > by mistake.  I am so use to pressing "Reply" and the next button being
> > remember that the "Reply All" button has been replaced with "Reply List".
> >  This may cause some problems, if too many of our list users get the reply
> > posting that were meant to go to the lists instead.
> >
> > Christian L. just sent me a notice that my posting went to him instead the
> > "How can I know which one is a spam?" thread in the Website list.
> >
> > I nearly sent this posting to "anne-ology" instead of the User list.  This
> > is going to be a problem, maybe.
> >

> > On 08/13/2012 01:06 PM, anne-ology wrote:
> >
> >>         exactly, therefore to change the default, you're changing this
> >> list
> >> to where folks will now be corresponding privately rather than allowing
> >> the
> >> list to hear what's new and learn from others.

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Reply settings on this list have changed

I'm subscribed to quite a few lists by now, and some of them has had
this ”new” behaviour for quite some time. I was kind of hoping THEY
would change…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Betti Ann and Preston Smith Betti Ann and Preston Smith

Re: Reply settings on this list have changed

Exactly - and this is why I totally am not in favour of replying to the
person rather than the list

Our British Car list used to reply to the list and if someone asked a
question everyone saw the answers and ensuing dialogue. Someone
complained about reply to list and the reply to was changed - the result
is that we seldom see the responses to questions and folks receiving the
info end up having to remember to forward all of the responses to the
list so others can share

Not  a good idea to reply to sender on these help lists

Preston

2012/8/13 Anthony Easthope <[hidden email]>:
> To me it seems fairly straightforward. I use Opera mail and it is great
> for mailing lists as it groups all replies to one thread in a
> conversation view. it also has a *Reply to list and a *Reply all
> functionality. It only seems logical to me to hit "reply to list" as
> that is what it is. anyway as the cliche goes I was "jus sayin"
>
> Regards
> Anthony

When you say Opera mail, do you mean the Opera web mail or the Opera
M2 email client?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, at 09:19 PM, anne-ology wrote:
>>        exactly.
>>
>>        Let's take a poll - (1) to return this list to being an actual
>>        list
>>                                      or
>>                                  (2) to change this from a list to
>>                                  private
>> communications between only select ones, depriving the group of learning
>> the ins & outs of LO.
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 12:23 PM, webmaster-Kracked_P_P <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> > I just posted a reply to a thread to the last poster instead of the thread
>> > by mistake.  I am so use to pressing "Reply" and the next button being
>> > remember that the "Reply All" button has been replaced with "Reply List".
>> >  This may cause some problems, if too many of our list users get the reply
>> > posting that were meant to go to the lists instead.
>> >
>> > Christian L. just sent me a notice that my posting went to him instead the
>> > "How can I know which one is a spam?" thread in the Website list.
>> >
>> > I nearly sent this posting to "anne-ology" instead of the User list.  This
>> > is going to be a problem, maybe.

>> deleted
>>

> --
>
>   [hidden email]

Anthony Easthope Anthony Easthope

Re: Reply settings on this list have changed

Opera Webmail. I move around to much on computers to use a dedicated
mail client. http://mail.opera.com

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, at 09:39 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> 2012/8/13 Anthony Easthope <[hidden email]>:
> > To me it seems fairly straightforward. I use Opera mail and it is great
> > for mailing lists as it groups all replies to one thread in a
> > conversation view. it also has a *Reply to list and a *Reply all
> > functionality. It only seems logical to me to hit "reply to list" as
> > that is what it is. anyway as the cliche goes I was "jus sayin"
> >
> > Regards
> > Anthony
>
> When you say Opera mail, do you mean the Opera web mail or the Opera
> M2 email client?
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ
>

> > On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, at 09:19 PM, anne-ology wrote:
> >>        exactly.
> >>
> >>        Let's take a poll - (1) to return this list to being an actual
> >>        list
> >>                                      or
> >>                                  (2) to change this from a list to
> >>                                  private
> >> communications between only select ones, depriving the group of learning
> >> the ins & outs of LO.

> >> --
> >> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> >> deleted
> >>

> > --
> >
> >   [hidden email]
> >
> > --
> > All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Reply settings on this list have changed

2012/8/13 Anthony Easthope <[hidden email]>:
> Opera Webmail. I move around to much on computers to use a dedicated
> mail client. http://mail.opera.com

I actually have an Opera Mail address, but I didn't use it for years
now; maybe it's erased by now. So it could be a good idea to use Opera
Mail for email lists, then… How much space is there for each user
these days?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, at 09:39 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> 2012/8/13 Anthony Easthope <[hidden email]>:
>> > To me it seems fairly straightforward. I use Opera mail and it is great
>> > for mailing lists as it groups all replies to one thread in a
>> > conversation view. it also has a *Reply to list and a *Reply all
>> > functionality. It only seems logical to me to hit "reply to list" as
>> > that is what it is. anyway as the cliche goes I was "jus sayin"
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Anthony
>>
>> When you say Opera mail, do you mean the Opera web mail or the Opera
>> M2 email client?
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

>> > --
>> >
>> >   [hidden email]
>> >
>> > --
>> > All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

>> deleted
>

> --
>
>   [hidden email]

Anthony Easthope Anthony Easthope

Re: Reply settings on this list have changed

It has changed to become "@myopera.com" now. and as it is still in beta
phase you only have 1gb of space which is still heaps for emails! They
plan to increase it in the near future. (best thing with this is there
is no adverts to annoy me or nor is there googles stupid tracking
policy!)

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, at 09:50 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> 2012/8/13 Anthony Easthope <[hidden email]>:
> > Opera Webmail. I move around to much on computers to use a dedicated
> > mail client. http://mail.opera.com
>
> I actually have an Opera Mail address, but I didn't use it for years
> now; maybe it's erased by now. So it could be a good idea to use Opera
> Mail for email lists, then… How much space is there for each user
> these days?
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

> >> When you say Opera mail, do you mean the Opera web mail or the Opera
> >> M2 email client?
> >>

> >> Kind regards
> >>
> >> Johnny Rosenberg
> >> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

> >> --
> >> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> >> deleted
> >

> > --
> >
> >   [hidden email]

Girvin Herr-2 Girvin Herr-2

Re: Reply settings on this list have changed

Greetings,
I hope this gets to the right place.  I used "Reply All" in
Thunderbird.  The header looks correct, but people are going to get
duplicate messages.
Here is another side-effect of this change:
Florian,
Right!  Yesterday, your changes broke my email filter which puts
libreoffice user group messages in a specific folder. But then I changed
the filter from looking at "Reply-To:" to "To:" and thought that would
suffice.  Now, this morning I got 7 libreoffice messages in my correct
folder via my filter change, and 4 messages direct from members in my
main inbox, which my filter did not catch.  Your change may make it easy
for you, but it is a nightmare for me.  There is no way I can create
filters for all users who use their address.

My vote is to return the list to the way it behaved before you made this
change.  This is "Anne-ology"'s Poll option #1.

I might also add, that the mis-addressed private message issue did
happen to me many years ago, when I sent what I thought was a private
joke message and discovered to my chagrin after sending it, that
Netscape also added a newsgroup address to the header without my
blessing.  You can imagine the impact of that.  It was not funny and I
am still, after over 20 years, seeing that association come up now and
then.  Since then, I verify where my email client is sending my messages
before sending them.  Anyone who does not do so, is taking a chance and
should not persecute others for their mistakes.
Girvin Herr

webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:

> I just posted a reply to a thread to the last poster instead of the
> thread by mistake.  I am so use to pressing "Reply" and the next
> button being "Reply All", that I now have to remember to skip the
> "Reply" button and remember that the "Reply All" button has been
> replaced with "Reply List".  This may cause some problems, if too many
> of our list users get the reply posting that were meant to go to the
> lists instead.
>
> Christian L. just sent me a notice that my posting went to him instead
> the "How can I know which one is a spam?" thread in the Website list.
>
> I nearly sent this posting to "anne-ology" instead of the User list.
> This is going to be a problem, maybe.
>

> On 08/13/2012 01:06 PM, anne-ology wrote:
>>         exactly, therefore to change the default, you're changing
>> this list
>> to where folks will now be corresponding privately rather than
>> allowing the
>> list to hear what's new and learn from others.

>>> myself, I am not so clear why people are interested in sending private
>>> email to people on a public list. I did it yesterday but only
>>> because I had
>>> trouble posting to the list and was overeager to get my word
>>> ('hucksterism') in.
>>>
>>> the default mode on a list of replying to the list made sense to me.
>>> not a
>>> big deal for me since I mostly lurk.
>>>
>>> F.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Felmon Davis

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Reply settings on this list have changed

I prefer the list, or even better a forum. I won't be bothered editing
the to/cc fields on a reply so it will be reply-all and every poster I
reply to will get a private copy. I suspect in time this will become the
norm.

Steve

On 08/13/2012 03:37 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> I'm subscribed to quite a few lists by now, and some of them has had
> this ”new” behaviour for quite some time. I was kind of hoping THEY
> would change…
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

It will just take some time to get use to NOT using the "Reply" button
for replying to these threads.  Before the change was made, I never saw
a "Reply List" as the text for the button that normally is for "Reply All".

I have been using "Reply" since Spring of last year, so it will take
time for me to get use to doing it a different way.

Things change all the time.  In the past year, Thunderbird went from
3.x.x to 14.x.x on the Ubuntu 10.04 repository.  Sometimes Change is
good, while other times it is not.  I do not like "change for change
sake" like MS is doing with Win8 so your desktop looks like your
tablet.  Not for me that.

But with this "major" change on how to reply to the list emails, or
which button to use, people will need to be aware that there might be a
lot of "mistakes" sending the reply to the email to the last poster and
not to the list itself.  I already did that one and nearly twice today.
So it most likely will happen with others as well.  I use Thunderbird,
so I do not know what it looks like with Outlook or other mail clients,
or even web-browser based emails like some of the accounts for GMail,
Hotmail, YahooMail, NetZeorMail, etc., etc., will show in their web
page[s] for accessing your emails instead via an email-client.

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

On 08/13/2012 06:53 PM, webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:

> On 08/13/2012 03:37 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> I'm subscribed to quite a few lists by now, and some of them has had
>> this ”new” behaviour for quite some time. I was kind of hoping THEY
>> would change…
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ
>>

> It will just take some time to get use to NOT using the "Reply" button
> for replying to these threads. Before the change was made, I never saw
> a "Reply List" as the text for the button that normally is for "Reply
> All".
>
> I have been using "Reply" since Spring of last year, so it will take
> time for me to get use to doing it a different way.
>
> Things change all the time. In the past year, Thunderbird went from
> 3.x.x to 14.x.x on the Ubuntu 10.04 repository. Sometimes Change is
> good, while other times it is not. I do not like "change for change
> sake" like MS is doing with Win8 so your desktop looks like your
> tablet. Not for me that.
>
> But with this "major" change on how to reply to the list emails, or
> which button to use, people will need to be aware that there might be
> a lot of "mistakes" sending the reply to the email to the last poster
> and not to the list itself. I already did that one and nearly twice
> today. So it most likely will happen with others as well. I use
> Thunderbird, so I do not know what it looks like with Outlook or other
> mail clients, or even web-browser based emails like some of the
> accounts for GMail, Hotmail, YahooMail, NetZeorMail, etc., etc., will
> show in their web page[s] for accessing your emails instead via an
> email-client.

I see the Reply List next to Reply in Thunderbird.

--
Jay Lozier

Next » 12345