Request: Installation Instructions

Next » 1234 ... 6
Craig A. Eddy Craig A. Eddy

Request: Installation Instructions

Recently (like 4:00 AM local time, November 20, 2010) I downloaded the
.tar.gz of the .deb files from TDF
(http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/3.3.0-beta3/deb/).
 On unpacking the archived files I discovered that LO is subjecting poor
unsuspecting users to the same problem that OOo has been famous for:
there is no obvious way to start to install the files.  Dependencies for
each .deb have to be met, but nothing indicates the order with which to
install them.  When dealing with 52 .deb files it's like trying to do a
jigsaw puzzle where all distinguishing marks have been filed off.

It would be much easier if there were a single meta-package that would
act as the start point.  Failing that, at least an ordered list that an
individual could refer to.

The object of LibreOffice, as with any other program, is to be used.
But if one has to try to map the labyrinth in order to do so, one won't.
 Would you please consider making it easier for the end user?

Thank you.

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Alexandro Colorado Alexandro Colorado

Re: Request: Installation Instructions

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 08:51:00 -0600, Craig A. Eddy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Recently (like 4:00 AM local time, November 20, 2010) I downloaded the
> .tar.gz of the .deb files from TDF
> (http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/3.3.0-beta3/deb/).
>  On unpacking the archived files I discovered that LO is subjecting poor
> unsuspecting users to the same problem that OOo has been famous for:
> there is no obvious way to start to install the files.  Dependencies for
> each .deb have to be met, but nothing indicates the order with which to
> install them.  When dealing with 52 .deb files it's like trying to do a
> jigsaw puzzle where all distinguishing marks have been filed off.
>
> It would be much easier if there were a single meta-package that would
> act as the start point.  Failing that, at least an ordered list that an
> individual could refer to.
>
> The object of LibreOffice, as with any other program, is to be used.
> But if one has to try to map the labyrinth in order to do so, one won't.
>  Would you please consider making it easier for the end user?
>
> Thank you.

Usually that's what make files are for, but any bash file could also do
the trick.

--
Alexandro Colorado

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Am 20.11.2010 15:51, schrieb Craig A. Eddy:

> there is no obvious way to start to install the files.  Dependencies for
> each .deb have to be met, but nothing indicates the order with which to
> install them.  When dealing with 52 .deb files it's like trying to do a
> jigsaw puzzle where all distinguishing marks have been filed off.
>
> It would be much easier if there were a single meta-package that would
> act as the start point.  Failing that, at least an ordered list that an
> individual could refer to.

I can not confirm your problem.

dpgk -i *.deb

does the job for me without trouble.

Stefan

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Craig A. Eddy Craig A. Eddy

On 11/20/2010 07:59 AM, Stefan Weigel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 20.11.2010 15:51, schrieb Craig A. Eddy:
>
>> there is no obvious way to start to install the files.  Dependencies for
>> each .deb have to be met, but nothing indicates the order with which to
>> install them.  When dealing with 52 .deb files it's like trying to do a
>> jigsaw puzzle where all distinguishing marks have been filed off.
>>
>> It would be much easier if there were a single meta-package that would
>> act as the start point.  Failing that, at least an ordered list that an
>> individual could refer to.
>
> I can not confirm your problem.
>
> dpgk -i *.deb
>
> does the job for me without trouble.
>
> Stefan

Stefan,

Thanks, I'll try that.  However, it would have been nice if that was
listed in the README_en-US file.  I'm not familiar with dpgk, though I
am able to follow directions.

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Craig A. Eddy Craig A. Eddy

On 11/20/2010 08:04 AM, Craig A. Eddy wrote:

> On 11/20/2010 07:59 AM, Stefan Weigel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 20.11.2010 15:51, schrieb Craig A. Eddy:
>>
>>> there is no obvious way to start to install the files.  Dependencies for
>>> each .deb have to be met, but nothing indicates the order with which to
>>> install them.  When dealing with 52 .deb files it's like trying to do a
>>> jigsaw puzzle where all distinguishing marks have been filed off.
>>>
>>> It would be much easier if there were a single meta-package that would
>>> act as the start point.  Failing that, at least an ordered list that an
>>> individual could refer to.
>>
>> I can not confirm your problem.
>>
>> dpgk -i *.deb
>>
>> does the job for me without trouble.
>>
>> Stefan
>>

> Stefan,
>
> Thanks, I'll try that.  However, it would have been nice if that was
> listed in the README_en-US file.  I'm not familiar with dpgk, though I
> am able to follow directions.

OK, that worked, with a little coaxing (it's dpgk -i *.deb .  Minor
transposition).  Thanks for your help.

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Jeremy Cartwright Jeremy Cartwright

Re: Request: Installation Instructions

 >> I can not confirm your problem.
 >>
 >> dpgk -i *.deb
 >>
 >> does the job for me without trouble.
 >>
 >> Stefan
 >>
 >>
 >
 > Stefan,
 >
 > Thanks, I'll try that.  However, it would have been nice if that was
 > listed in the README_en-US file.  I'm not familiar with dpgk, though I
 > am able to follow directions.

I second this. The README_en-US file does seem to need attention, and
not just re: installation concerns. I've posted
http://www.libreofficeaustralia.org/forum/community/documentation-development/readmeen-us
as an attempt to address some of my perceived issues, however as I have
not been involved in the project previously, am not familiar with the
work flow, and am not knowledgeable in many of the technical aspects of
the document I am content to leave it at that until I've received
further direction.

--
jdc

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Friedrich Strohmaier Friedrich Strohmaier

Re: Request: Installation Instructions

Hi Craig, *,

Craig A. Eddy schrieb:

>On 11/20/2010 07:59 AM, Stefan Weigel wrote:
>> Am 20.11.2010 15:51, schrieb Craig A. Eddy:

>>> there is no obvious way to start to install the files.
>>> Dependencies for each .deb have to be met, but nothing indicates
>>> the order with which to install them.  When dealing with 52 .deb
>>> files it's like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle where all
>>> distinguishing marks have been filed off.

>>> It would be much easier if there were a single meta-package that
>>> would act as the start point.

Even if knowing how to proceed as mentioned by Stefan, I support your
Request. Axel Reimer set up such a meta-package for our (german)
PrOOo-Box approach, which made it by far easier to install and to
*deinstall* all related packages.

[..]

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich
Libreoffice-Box http://libreofficebox.org/

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Craig A. Eddy Craig A. Eddy

On 11/20/2010 03:24 PM, Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:

> Hi Craig, *,
>
> Craig A. Eddy schrieb:

> Even if knowing how to proceed as mentioned by Stefan, I support your
> Request. Axel Reimer set up such a meta-package for our (german)
> PrOOo-Box approach, which made it by far easier to install and to
> *deinstall* all related packages.
>
> [..]
>
> Gruß/regards

Thank you,

Craig A. Eddy (Tyche)

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Sonic4Spuds Sonic4Spuds

On 11/20/2010 09:03 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 08:51:00 -0600, Craig A. Eddy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Recently (like 4:00 AM local time, November 20, 2010) I downloaded the
>> .tar.gz of the .deb files from TDF
>> (http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/3.3.0-beta3/deb/).
>>
>>  On unpacking the archived files I discovered that LO is subjecting poor
>> unsuspecting users to the same problem that OOo has been famous for:
>> there is no obvious way to start to install the files.  Dependencies for
>> each .deb have to be met, but nothing indicates the order with which to
>> install them.  When dealing with 52 .deb files it's like trying to do a
>> jigsaw puzzle where all distinguishing marks have been filed off.
>>
>> It would be much easier if there were a single meta-package that would
>> act as the start point.  Failing that, at least an ordered list that an
>> individual could refer to.
>>
>> The object of LibreOffice, as with any other program, is to be used.
>> But if one has to try to map the labyrinth in order to do so, one won't.
>>  Would you please consider making it easier for the end user?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

> Usually that's what make files are for, but any bash file could also
> do the trick.

Make files are only useful if you are building from source. I am
personally not good at doing this, and I don't have a powerful enough
computer (Asus 1201T).

-Sonic4Spuds

Rene Engelhard-3 Rene Engelhard-3

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 09:03:35AM -0600, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> >unsuspecting users to the same problem that OOo has been famous for:
> >there is no obvious way to start to install the files.  Dependencies for

dpkg -i *.deb?

> >each .deb have to be met, but nothing indicates the order with which to
> >install them.  When dealing with 52 .deb files it's like trying to do a
> >jigsaw puzzle where all distinguishing marks have been filed off.

Nope. Really, I expect anybody having root on a Debian-based system to know
dpkg. Seriously.

> >It would be much easier if there were a single meta-package that would
> >act as the start point.  Failing that, at least an ordered list that an

http://packages.debian.org/libreoffice FTR.

Grüße/Regards,

René

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 08:04:29AM -0700, Craig A. Eddy wrote:
> listed in the README_en-US file.  I'm not familiar with dpgk, though I

Then get. You administer a Debian-based system without knowing dpkg? Oh my.

(Besides that, http://packages.debian.org/libreoffice has a metapackage -
you need at least squeeze for it, though)

Grüße/Regards,

René

Friedrich Strohmaier Friedrich Strohmaier

Re: Request: Installation Instructions

Hi René, *,

René Engelhard schrieb:

[.. depency question ..]

>Nope. Really, I expect anybody having root on a Debian-based system to
> know dpkg. Seriously.

So you'd recommend everybody just running a desktop machine and not
wanting to get a full featured serveradmin to abhore debian?

>> >It would be much easier if there were a single meta-package that
>> > would act as the start point.  Failing that, at least an ordered
>> > list that an

>http://packages.debian.org/libreoffice FTR.

I can't see this hint an useful answer to the OP's question regarding
his aparent debian knowledge.

Gruß/regards

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Request: Installation Instructions

> René Engelhard schrieb:
>>Nope. Really, I expect anybody having root on a Debian-based system to
>> know dpkg. Seriously.

I think it is very important from the very start that the community
does not have an unrealistic expectation of the end user.
Linux is a system which is gaining rapidly in popularity and there are
many end users who have never used the command line (gasp).

Regardless of the question, or the system on which LibreOffice is
intended to run I suggest we answer all questions with patience and
never with vitriol or belittlement.

Anybody working with deb package files and not knowing what to do will
find the following link useful:

Thanks, I hope this helps.
Michael Wheatland
LibreOffice Drupal Website Development Team
blog.wheatland.com.au

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Request: Installation Instructions

Hi, :-)

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 20:31, Rene Engelhard
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Nope. Really, I expect anybody having root on a Debian-based system to know
> dpkg. Seriously.

Oh, Wow! What if you're an end user who needs a computer just to do
work on? Does every Linux user have to be a hard-core geek? And if you
own a Windows system, should one study for Microsoft certification
before shelling out you money? :-D

OK, don't answer that! Please! I was just kidding! :-)

Someone helped me solve this same problem for an Ubuntu system. I'll
draft a how-to over the next few days, file a bug and suggest it for
inclusion in the Linux downloads.

HTH.

David Nelson

Craig A. Eddy Craig A. Eddy

On 11/22/2010 05:33 AM, Rene Engelhard wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 08:04:29AM -0700, Craig A. Eddy wrote:
>> listed in the README_en-US file.  I'm not familiar with dpgk, though I
>
> Then get. You administer a Debian-based system without knowing dpkg? Oh my.
>
> (Besides that, http://packages.debian.org/libreoffice has a metapackage -
> you need at least squeeze for it, though)
>
> Grüße/Regards,
>
> René

René

It isn't so much that I administer a Debian release as that I USE a
Debian release and do what I can.  What I do is what I have managed to
learn to do over time, but without any formal training in UNIX, Linux,
administration, coding, or anything else.  That causes gaps in my
education that I freely admit.  I feel no shame for what I have learned
OR for what I haven't learned.  Not everyone can be as experienced as
you, nor can everyone feel as comfortable using CLI as you.  It is,
however why I feel comfortable asking questions or asking for help even
from complete strangers who might think less of me for my asking.

However, thank you for your concern.  :-D

Craig
Tyche

Craig A. Eddy Craig A. Eddy

On 11/22/2010 07:28 AM, David Nelson wrote:

> Hi, :-)
>
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 20:31, Rene Engelhard
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Nope. Really, I expect anybody having root on a Debian-based system to know
>> dpkg. Seriously.
>
> Oh, Wow! What if you're an end user who needs a computer just to do
> work on? Does every Linux user have to be a hard-core geek? And if you
> own a Windows system, should one study for Microsoft certification
> before shelling out you money? :-D
>
> OK, don't answer that! Please! I was just kidding! :-)
>
> Someone helped me solve this same problem for an Ubuntu system. I'll
> draft a how-to over the next few days, file a bug and suggest it for
> inclusion in the Linux downloads.
>
> HTH.
>
> David Nelson

Mr. Nelson,

Thank you, on behalf of myself and all the unknown nameless people who
will benefit in the future.

Craig A. Eddy
Tyche

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 10:28:43PM +0800, David Nelson wrote:
> Oh, Wow! What if you're an end user who needs a computer just to do
> work on? Does every Linux user have to be a hard-core geek? And if you
> own a Windows system, should one study for Microsoft certification
> before shelling out you money? :-D
>
> OK, don't answer that! Please! I was just kidding! :-)

I do.

Because dpkg -i *.deb is esssentialy setup.exe. Don't tell me anyone using
Windows must not know setup.exe to install software?

> Someone helped me solve this same problem for an Ubuntu system. I'll
> draft a how-to over the next few days, file a bug and suggest it for
> inclusion in the Linux downloads.

There is no goddamn need for it. (That Ubuntu people in 90% of cases have
no clue how they do basic system tasks doesn't make it more needed)

Grüße/Regards,

René

Friedrich Strohmaier Friedrich Strohmaier

Re: Request: Installation Instructions

Hi Michael, *,

Michael Wheatland schrieb:

>> René Engelhard schrieb:
>>>Nope. Really, I expect anybody having root on a Debian-based system
>>> to know dpkg. Seriously.

[..]

You were responding *my* mail not referring to my contents.

Please take care for clear communication.

Gruß/regards

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 03:15:25PM +0100, Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:
> So you'd recommend everybody just running a desktop machine and not
> wanting to get a full featured serveradmin to abhore debian?

No, I want desktop users to know how to use their system. And if they
also administer it they should know basics about dpkg.

> >http://packages.debian.org/libreoffice FTR.
>
> I can't see this hint an useful answer to the OP's question regarding
> his aparent debian knowledge.

True, but those are debs he can install if he used squeeze or sid :)

Grüße/Regards,

René

Lee Hyde Lee Hyde

On 22/11/10 15:07, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> I do.
>
> Because dpkg -i *.deb is esssentialy setup.exe. Don't tell me anyone using
> Windows must not know setup.exe to install software?

'dpkg -i *.deb' is most assuredly NOT the equivalent of setup.exe.
However .deb files are equivalent, this is precisely the point the
original poster is making. Windows users are presented with a single
setup.exe while debian/ubuntu users are presented with a multitude of
individual .deb files. This is not user friendly!

On 22/11/10 15:07, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> There is no goddamn need for it. (That Ubuntu people in 90% of cases have
> no clue how they do basic system tasks doesn't make it more needed)

This is a rather hostile attitude to show towards end users and an
attitude, might I add, which has served to hinder wider uptake of linux
based operating systems in the past. If your position were to be taken
to its logical conclusion we should scrap LibreOffice, which afterall is
pandering to the masses with its use of GUI and WYSIWYG, in favour of TeX.

Kind Regards,

Lee Hyde.

--
"Crime is naught but misdirected energy. So long as every institution of
today, economic, political, social, and moral, conspires to misdirect

        -- Emma Goldman, Anarchism: What it Really Stands For (1910)

Next » 1234 ... 6