Request for Libre Office on Spoon

Blake Madden Blake Madden

Request for Libre Office on Spoon

Hello,

I was referred to this mailing list by Florian Effenberger of The Document Foundation. My name is Blake and I work for a company called Spoon, which offers the ability to launch desktop apps from the web with no installs.

We recently received a request to add LibreOffice to the Spoon.net app library.  We'd like to partner with The Document Foundation to offer LibreOffice on Spoon.  In the interest of transparency and public input, Florian suggested I submit my request to this mailing list for discussion.

You can see examples of Spoon powered apps at http://spoon.net/apps  . For free apps and trials, Spoon is a free service, and all that is needed for distribution is written permission.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions.  Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Blake Madden
Account Manager
Spoon

[Play-At-Spoon-On-White-Small]

Connect your desktops to the cloud
Web: spoon.net<http://www.spoon.net/>
Latest apps @spoonapps<http://twitter.com/spoonapps> and games @spoongames<http://twitter.com/spoonapps>

US: 877-223-3551 x1005
Int'l: 206-774-8769
Fax: 206-388-3110
1000 Dexter Avenue, 5th Floor
Seattle, Washington 98109

Carl Symons Carl Symons

Re: Request for Libre Office on Spoon

I didn't get too deep into Spoon, but it looks a good resource for
LibreOffice users. Not that much different conceptually from Mozilla
offerings.

Carl

Harold Fuchs Harold Fuchs

Re: Request for Libre Office on Spoon

"Blake Madden" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Hello,
>
> I was referred to this mailing list by Florian Effenberger of The Document
> Foundation. My name is Blake and I work for a company called Spoon, which
> offers the ability to launch desktop apps from the web with no installs.
>
> We recently received a request to add LibreOffice to the Spoon.net app
> library.  We'd like to partner with The Document Foundation to offer
> LibreOffice on Spoon.  In the interest of transparency and public input,
> Florian suggested I submit my request to this mailing list for discussion.
>
> You can see examples of Spoon powered apps at http://spoon.net/apps  . For
> free apps and trials, Spoon is a free service, and all that is needed for
> distribution is written permission.
>
> Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions.  Thanks for your
> time.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Blake Madden
> Account Manager
> Spoon
>

> [Play-At-Spoon-On-White-Small]
>
> Connect your desktops to the cloud
> Web: spoon.net<http://www.spoon.net/>
> Latest apps @spoonapps<http://twitter.com/spoonapps> and games
> @spoongames<http://twitter.com/spoonapps>
>
> US: 877-223-3551 x1005
> Int'l: 206-774-8769
> Fax: 206-388-3110
> 1000 Dexter Avenue, 5th Floor
> Seattle, Washington 98109

If I create a document using the Spoon version of LibreOffice ("SLO"), where
will that document exist? On a Spoon server somewhere or on the PC I was
using when I ran SLO? If the document contains pictures or sound/video
clips, where are those?

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England

mhenriday mhenriday

2011/4/19 Blake Madden <[hidden email]>

> Hello,
>
> I was referred to this mailing list by Florian Effenberger of The Document
> Foundation. My name is Blake and I work for a company called Spoon, which
> offers the ability to launch desktop apps from the web with no installs.
>
> We recently received a request to add LibreOffice to the Spoon.net app
> library.  We'd like to partner with The Document Foundation to offer
> LibreOffice on Spoon.  In the interest of transparency and public input,
> Florian suggested I submit my request to this mailing list for discussion.
>
> You can see examples of Spoon powered apps at http://spoon.net/apps  . For
> free apps and trials, Spoon is a free service, and all that is needed for
> distribution is written permission.
>
> Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions.  Thanks for your
> time.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Blake Madden
> Account Manager
> Spoon

Nothing for us Linux users ?

Henri

Uwe Altmann Uwe Altmann

Am 20.04.11 11:13, schrieb M Henri Day:

> Nothing for us Linux users ?

and "Sorry, Spoon isn't available on Macs yet!"
:-(
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Uwe Altmann

Fabián Rodríguez-3 Fabián Rodríguez-3

Live online testing of LibreOffice ("WebLive") as: Re: [tdf-discuss] Request for Libre Office on Spoon

On 04/20/2011 05:13 AM, M Henri Day wrote:
> [...]
> Nothing for us Linux users ?
>
> Henri

I believe this should work for any browser with Java support:

http://www.edubuntu.org/weblive/app/lowriter

Make sure you change the URL for the app name, and also make sure you
specify Ubuntu or Edubuntu 11.04 from the possible choices. I haven't
had time to test this BTW.

LibreOffice questions ? Des questions sur LibreOffice ? Preguntas acerca
de LibreOffice ? Ask LibreOffice: http://libreoffice.shapado.com/
~
Fabián Rodríguez
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:MagicFab

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: Live online testing of LibreOffice ("WebLive") as: Re: [tdf-discuss] Request for Libre Office on Spoon

2011/4/20 Fabián Rodríguez <[hidden email]>

> On 04/20/2011 05:13 AM, M Henri Day wrote:
> > [...]
> > Nothing for us Linux users ?
> >
> > Henri
> >
> I believe this should work for any browser with Java support:
>
> http://www.edubuntu.org/weblive/app/lowriter
>
> Make sure you change the URL for the app name, and also make sure you
> specify Ubuntu or Edubuntu 11.04 from the possible choices. I haven't
> had time to test this BTW.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> LibreOffice questions ? Des questions sur LibreOffice ? Preguntas acerca
> de LibreOffice ? Ask LibreOffice: http://libreoffice.shapado.com/
> ~
> Fabián Rodríguez
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:MagicFab

Thanks for the link, Fabian ! I realise you haven't tested it yet, but get
the impression that it only runs Writer ? Anyone here who has tested who
might be able to say whether that impression is correct ?...

Henri

On 04/20/2011 02:31 PM, M Henri Day wrote:

> 2011/4/20 Fabián Rodríguez <[hidden email]>
>
>> On 04/20/2011 05:13 AM, M Henri Day wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Nothing for us Linux users ?
>>>
>>> Henri
>>>
>> I believe this should work for any browser with Java support:
>>
>> http://www.edubuntu.org/weblive/app/lowriter
>>
>> Make sure you change the URL for the app name, and also make sure you
>> specify Ubuntu or Edubuntu 11.04 from the possible choices. I haven't
>> had time to test this BTW.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> LibreOffice questions ? Des questions sur LibreOffice ? Preguntas acerca
>> de LibreOffice ? Ask LibreOffice: http://libreoffice.shapado.com/
>> ~
>> Fabián Rodríguez
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:MagicFab
>>

> Thanks for the link, Fabian ! I realise you haven't tested it yet, but get
> the impression that it only runs Writer ? Anyone here who has tested who
> might be able to say whether that impression is correct ?...
>
> Henri

Hi Henri,

I had some time last night to test this and it really works well.
Sometimes the servers hosting weblive may be rebuilt during which time
the demo apps are not available, other than that it makes for a great demo.

You can try substituting lowriter in the above URL for any Ubuntu
binary, here are the LibreOffice related ones you can try:

       lobase
       localc
       lodraw
       lofromtemplate
       loimpress
       lomath
       loweb
       lowriter

Which would mean going to these to test each individually:

http://www.edubuntu.org/weblive/app/lobase
http://www.edubuntu.org/weblive/app/localc
http://www.edubuntu.org/weblive/app/lodraw
http://www.edubuntu.org/weblive/app/lofromtemplate
http://www.edubuntu.org/weblive/app/loimpress
http://www.edubuntu.org/weblive/app/lomath
http://www.edubuntu.org/weblive/app/loweb
http://www.edubuntu.org/weblive/app/lowriter

Or just launch a full Ubuntu desktop to get access to all of it (make
sure you choose 11.04):
http://www.edubuntu.org/weblive

Cheers,

Fabian

- --
LibreOffice questions ? Des questions sur LibreOffice ? Preguntas acerca
de LibreOffice ? Ask LibreOffice: http://libreoffice.shapado.com/
~
Fabián Rodríguez
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:MagicFab

Blake Madden Blake Madden

RE: Request for Libre Office on Spoon

Hi all,

Blake from Spoon here. I posted the question about featuring LibreOffice on Spoon, but didn't realize I would need to subscribe to the discussion list in order to get replies. I've subscribed and caught up on the thread so I'd like to take a moment to backtrack and answer some questions posed about the service.

Mac and Linux platform development: No, Spoon does not currently work on these platforms... yet. Cross platform development is a priority, though, and it is a project we are working on for the near future.

As to Harold Fuchs' question:

"If I create a document using the Spoon version of LibreOffice ("SLO"), where will that document exist? On a Spoon server somewhere or on the PC I was using when I ran SLO? If the document contains pictures or sound/video clips, where are those?"

Answer: Spoon powered applications perform identically to their native counterparts. Wherever you would normally store documents created with a natively installed version of LibreOffice, you would be able to do the same with the Spoon virtualized version. As an added bonus/ side note, both free and paid Spoon accounts come with a predetermined amount of available cloud storage.

Again, my apologies for not making proper use of the discussion email list earlier. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Blake Madden
Account Manager
Spoon

Latest apps @spoonapps and games @spoongames

US: 877-223-3551 x1005
Int'l: 206-774-8769
Fax: 206-388-3110
1000 Dexter Avenue, 5th Floor
Seattle, Washington 98109

I didn't get too deep into Spoon, but it looks a good resource for
LibreOffice users. Not that much different conceptually from Mozilla
offerings.

Carl

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Blake Madden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was referred to this mailing list by Florian Effenberger of The Document Foundation. My name is Blake and I work for a company called Spoon, which offers the ability to launch desktop apps from the web with no installs.
>
> We recently received a request to add LibreOffice to the Spoon.net app library.  We'd like to partner with The Document Foundation to offer LibreOffice on Spoon.  In the interest of transparency and public input, Florian suggested I submit my request to this mailing list for discussion.
>
> You can see examples of Spoon powered apps at http://spoon.net/apps  . For free apps and trials, Spoon is a free service, and all that is needed for distribution is written permission.
>
> Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions.  Thanks for your time.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Blake Madden
> Account Manager
> Spoon
>

> [Play-At-Spoon-On-White-Small]
>
> Connect your desktops to the cloud
> Web: spoon.net<http://www.spoon.net/>
> Latest apps @spoonapps<http://twitter.com/spoonapps> and games @spoongames<http://twitter.com/spoonapps>
>
> US: 877-223-3551 x1005
> Int'l: 206-774-8769
> Fax: 206-388-3110
> 1000 Dexter Avenue, 5th Floor
> Seattle, Washington 98109

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: Request for Libre Office on Spoon

Hi Blake,

Blake Madden wrote on 2011-04-27 00.26:
> Blake from Spoon here. I posted the question about featuring LibreOffice on Spoon, but didn't realize I would need to subscribe to the discussion list in order to get replies. I've subscribed and caught up on the thread so I'd like to take a moment to backtrack and answer some questions posed about the service.

sorry for my late reply. As far as I understand, you should be able to
simply "do it". :-)

TDF at the moment does not have an official partner program, but given
the license our software is under, you are free to use it for the
purposes you want on Spoon.

Anyone sees it different? :)

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Jonathan Aquilina Jonathan Aquilina

On 05/23/2011 05:37 PM, Florian Effenberger wrote:

> Hi Blake,
>
> Blake Madden wrote on 2011-04-27 00.26:
>> Blake from Spoon here. I posted the question about featuring
>> LibreOffice on Spoon, but didn't realize I would need to subscribe to
>> the discussion list in order to get replies. I've subscribed and
>> caught up on the thread so I'd like to take a moment to backtrack and
>> answer some questions posed about the service.
>
> sorry for my late reply. As far as I understand, you should be able to
> simply "do it". :-)
>
> TDF at the moment does not have an official partner program, but given
> the license our software is under, you are free to use it for the
> purposes you want on Spoon.
>
> Anyone sees it different? :)
>
> Florian

Florian i dont have an objection, but the only issue I possibly see is
with the guidelines governing the name usage.

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: Request for Libre Office on Spoon

Hi,

Jonathan Aquilina wrote on 2011-05-23 17.50:
> Florian i dont have an objection, but the only issue I possibly see is
> with the guidelines governing the name usage.

@Blake: Any progress on this?

Florian