Request for mailing list for Ask LibreOffice

Robinson Tryon Robinson Tryon

Request for mailing list for Ask LibreOffice

Hiya,

I'd like to request a mailing list for the Ask LibreOffice site. It
would be helpful to have a mailing list so that we can hear
suggestions, discuss new policies, inform users about site
changes/upgrades/etc, and (arguably most importantly) give kudos and
encouragement to our most active users! :-)

We've tried to conduct some discussion on the Ask site itself, but the
Question/Answer format does not lend itself to discussion as well as a
mailing list.

Re: Request for mailing list for Ask LibreOffice

Hi,

Robinson Tryon wrote on 2013-04-03 18:04:

> I'd like to request a mailing list for the Ask LibreOffice site. It
> would be helpful to have a mailing list so that we can hear
> suggestions, discuss new policies, inform users about site
> changes/upgrades/etc, and (arguably most importantly) give kudos and
> encouragement to our most active users! :-)
>
> We've tried to conduct some discussion on the Ask site itself, but the
> Question/Answer format does not lend itself to discussion as well as a
> mailing list.

technically, it's no problem, but if it's about the AskBot site, may I
propose to first try to use this website list, and only if that doesn't
work, create an individual list?

Otherwise I fear we have a massive increase in lists for various
services, which is not helpful. ;-)

Florian

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 03/04/13 12:22 PM, Florian Effenberger a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Robinson Tryon wrote on 2013-04-03 18:04:
>
>> I'd like to request a mailing list for the Ask LibreOffice site. It
>> would be helpful to have a mailing list so that we can hear
>> suggestions, discuss new policies, inform users about site
>> changes/upgrades/etc, and (arguably most importantly) give kudos and
>> encouragement to our most active users! :-)
>>
>> We've tried to conduct some discussion on the Ask site itself, but the
>> Question/Answer format does not lend itself to discussion as well as a
>> mailing list.
>
> technically, it's no problem, but if it's about the AskBot site, may I
> propose to first try to use this website list, and only if that doesn't
> work, create an individual list?
>
> Otherwise I fear we have a massive increase in lists for various
> services, which is not helpful. ;-)
>
> Florian

Suggestions for the Ask site could also be put on Bugzilla where feature
requests would best be suited. A discussion can then happen on the
Bugzilla. I find that when people hold a discussion on Bugzilla, it is
more focused on the topic and more relevant.

IMO, a mailing list would only be beneficial if there was a lot of
discussion going on about the Ask site. But if it is about specific
topics then perhaps feature requests on the Bugzilla is better?

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré
[hidden email]

Robinson Tryon Robinson Tryon

Re: Request for mailing list for Ask LibreOffice

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Florian Effenberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> technically, it's no problem, but if it's about the AskBot site, may I
> propose to first try to use this website list, and only if that doesn't
> work, create an individual list?

Certainly, certainly -- we can try that!

I got the impression that some people might not be on the general
website list because they were only interested in receiving email
pertinent to the Ask site, and not about the other parts of our
infrastructure (e.g. yesterday there were over 20 emails about rsync
and bittorrent). I also wanted to avoid spamming the website list with
what might be perceived as off-topic email.

> Otherwise I fear we have a massive increase in lists for various services,
> which is not helpful. ;-)

Fair enough :-)  I'll ask some of the most active members of the Ask
site to make sure that they're subscribed to this list.

--R

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Suggestions for the Ask site could also be put on Bugzilla where feature
> requests would best be suited. A discussion can then happen on the Bugzilla.
> I find that when people hold a discussion on Bugzilla, it is more focused on
> the topic and more relevant.

For targeted suggestions, I think that Bugzilla is indeed the best
tool, but more general discussion is better on a mailing list.

> IMO, a mailing list would only be beneficial if there was a lot of
> discussion going on about the Ask site.

Right. I'm hoping to spur some discussion by inviting participants on
the Ask site to join the website mailing list. As I mentioned in my
reply to floeff, I was a bit hesitant in using the website mailing
list for all Ask-related chatter, but I will be more bold in the
future.

I've also been punting on a bunch of Ask business while waiting for
site upgrades. I'm now switching-up my strategy and punting on site
upgrades while I try to address the other Ask stuff :-)

> But if it is about specific topics
> then perhaps feature requests on the Bugzilla is better?

Yep.

--R

Robinson Tryon wrote on 2013-04-03 18:34:
> Certainly, certainly -- we can try that!

would be great! If it doesn't work out, I am happy to setup another
list, but let's try with website@

> I got the impression that some people might not be on the general
> website list because they were only interested in receiving email
> pertinent to the Ask site, and not about the other parts of our
> infrastructure (e.g. yesterday there were over 20 emails about rsync
> and bittorrent). I also wanted to avoid spamming the website list with
> what might be perceived as off-topic email.

Let's give it a try! :-)

Florian