Request for resoure suggestions.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Michael Tiernan Michael Tiernan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Request for resoure suggestions.

I'm working on improving my formatting skills. I'm using a ~10pg
document as my test.

My first problem is to figure out a specific part of styles. I can
format the document to have a heading (specifically heading 2) at the
start of each section. Looks nice. Copied the existing style, made a few
mods, very pleased.

NOW, I want to try to add a number to each section and I'm having
trouble understanding the correct route for this.

I have already gotten:

 John
 George
 Paul
 Ringo


and it worked fine. Now I want to change the style to be like:

   I John
  II George
 III Paul
  IV Ringo

So, I can't tell if I should be trying to modify the "Heading 2" style
or if I should be trying to add a "List" format to the mix.

I'm looking for suggestions on where I can read about the uses of each
and learn the differences.

Thanks for any suggestion!

--
  << MCT >> Michael C Tiernan. http://www.linkedin.com/in/mtiernan   
  Non Impediti Ratione Cogatationis
  Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
   should relax and get used to the idea. -Robert A. Heinlein


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Regina Henschel Regina Henschel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Request for resoure suggestions.

Hi Michael,

Michael Tiernan schrieb:

> I'm working on improving my formatting skills. I'm using a ~10pg
> document as my test.
>
> My first problem is to figure out a specific part of styles. I can
> format the document to have a heading (specifically heading 2) at the
> start of each section. Looks nice. Copied the existing style, made a few
> mods, very pleased.
>
> NOW, I want to try to add a number to each section and I'm having
> trouble understanding the correct route for this.
>
> I have already gotten:
>
>   John
>   George
>   Paul
>   Ringo
>
>
> and it worked fine. Now I want to change the style to be like:
>
>     I John
>    II George
>   III Paul
>    IV Ringo
>
> So, I can't tell if I should be trying to modify the "Heading 2" style
> or if I should be trying to add a "List" format to the mix.
>
> I'm looking for suggestions on where I can read about the uses of each
> and learn the differences.

You are looking for a numbering of headings. For that purpose "List" is
always wrong. If you are not very advanced, you should not try to do it
by changing the style. The way to go is via menu Tools and item "Outline
numbering".

Do you have already download the tutorials?
  http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/

Kind regards
Regina


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Andreas Säger Andreas Säger
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Request for resoure suggestions.

In reply to this post by Michael Tiernan
Best resource I'm aware of if your requiements are similar to those of a
student:

> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Writer_for_Students




--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
TomD TomD
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Request for resoure suggestions.

Hi :)
Probably the best place to find links to various types of documentation
is;
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation

as it also links to video tutorials such as this one;
http://spoken-tutorial.org/
for a wide range of Open Source projects.

It also has links to the archives and pre-release versions of the guides
that Regina gave a link to although it has so much stuff available that the
page may look a bit daunting or confusing at first.  The "Get Help" link
that Regina gave tries to make it simpler but i think you are already
beyond that since you have already managed to reach this mailing list!

Sadly it doesn't give a link to the guide Andreas linked to and there is an
ultra new guide that also doesn't seem to be linked yet.
Regards from
Tom :)



On 27 March 2015 at 11:13, Andreas Säger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Best resource I'm aware of if your requiements are similar to those of a
> student:
>
> > https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Writer_for_Students
>
>
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems?
> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> deleted
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Michael Tiernan Michael Tiernan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Request for resoure suggestions.

In reply to this post by Regina Henschel
On 3/27/15 6:03 AM, Regina Henschel wrote:
> You are looking for a numbering of headings. For that purpose "List"
> is always wrong.
(*WHEW*) i feel better. :)

Thanks for the answer.
> Do you have already download the tutorials?
Got them now and am going to get started on them
> If you are not very advanced, you should not try to do it by changing
> the style. The way to go is via menu Tools and item "Outline numbering".
This is helpful. Because I've not been intimidated by screwing with
styles, I'm inclined to ask what is it about changing a style that is so
much harder? (Just for my own future reference.)

And thank you to everyone for the answers. I'm opening all the links and
sucking in what I can.

--
  << MCT >> Michael C Tiernan. http://www.linkedin.com/in/mtiernan   
  Non Impediti Ratione Cogatationis
  Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
   should relax and get used to the idea. -Robert A. Heinlein


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Regina Henschel Regina Henschel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Request for resoure suggestions.

Hi Michael,

Michael Tiernan schrieb:

> On 3/27/15 6:03 AM, Regina Henschel wrote:
>> You are looking for a numbering of headings. For that purpose "List"
>> is always wrong.
> (*WHEW*) i feel better. :)
>
> Thanks for the answer.
>> Do you have already download the tutorials?
> Got them now and am going to get started on them
>> If you are not very advanced, you should not try to do it by changing
>> the style. The way to go is via menu Tools and item "Outline numbering".
> This is helpful. Because I've not been intimidated by screwing with
> styles, I'm inclined to ask what is it about changing a style that is so
> much harder? (Just for my own future reference.)

With the predefined way you get automatic adapting numbering and
paragraph style when demote or promote level. If you manually set an
outline level and numbering style in the paragraph style, you need to
adapt the paragraph style and the numbering style manually, when you
demote or promote the chapter in the Navigator. For the self-made
outline styles is no way inside the style to bind the level of the
outline to the level of the numbering and no way to automatically set a
certain paragraph style if the paragraph changes its outline level by
promoting or demoting. You can workaround this problem by using
conditional styles, but that works less nice than the "Outline
numbering" tool.

Kind regards
Regina

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted