Resize object symmetrically?

Blue Upsilon Blue Upsilon

Resize object symmetrically?

Let's say I insert a square or image to my slide or document.
I want to resize it symmetrically,
like let's say I want to make it larger vertically and as click & hold and drag down I want it to not just get bigger vertically down but symmetrically up too;  by help of pressing a key.

Most visual editors have this like InkScape or MS office, etc.
(In InkScape you press Shift and drag and it resizes in both directions.)

Does LO have this?  (I've tried searching online and trying different key combinations to no avail...)

Thanks in advance,
Blue Upsilon
Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Resize object symmetrically?

On 9/12/19 08:27, Blue Upsilon wrote:

> Let's say I insert a square or image to my slide or document.
> I want to resize it symmetrically,
> like let's say I want to make it larger vertically and as click & hold and drag down I want it to not just get bigger vertically down but symmetrically up too;  by help of pressing a key.
>
> Most visual editors have this like InkScape or MS office, etc.
> (In InkScape you press Shift and drag and it resizes in both directions.)
>
> Does LO have this?  (I've tried searching online and trying different key combinations to no avail...)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Blue Upsilon

A simple method although it does not involve dragging. Right click the
image. Select "Position and Size" from the context menu. Now you have
two choices:
1) Select "Keep ratio" and enter either the height or width values.
2) Enter the height and width values.

Dan

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Resize object symmetrically?

Seems to be a bug. Shift + drag in either a corner or a side should work,
and it looks like it works until you release the mouse button. Maybe you
should file a bug report.

Den tors 12 sep. 2019 kl 14:29 skrev Blue Upsilon <
[hidden email]>:

> Let's say I insert a square or image to my slide or document.
> I want to resize it symmetrically,
> like let's say I want to make it larger vertically and as click & hold and
> drag down I want it to not just get bigger vertically down but
> symmetrically up too;  by help of pressing a key.
>
> Most visual editors have this like InkScape or MS office, etc.
> (In InkScape you press Shift and drag and it resizes in both directions.)
>
> Does LO have this?  (I've tried searching online and trying different key
> combinations to no avail...)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Blue Upsilon

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Resize object symmetrically?

Strange, when I create a square image, I can shift+drag to resize the
image symmetrically. This is using 6.3.1.2. In my case, I released the
mouse button *before* shift. I did this with a corner and both sides
(top and bottom). The order of which (shift, mouse) is released does
matter when using anyone of the sides. It does not matter when using the
corner. Release shift before the mouse produces a rectangle. Releasing
the mouse first produces a larger square.

Dan

Den tors 12 sep. 2019 kl 18:35 skrev Dan Lewis <[hidden email]>:

> Strange, when I create a square image, I can shift+drag to resize the
> image symmetrically. This is using 6.3.1.2. In my case, I released the
> mouse button *before* shift. I did this with a corner and both sides
> (top and bottom). The order of which (shift, mouse) is released does
> matter when using anyone of the sides. It does not matter when using the
> corner. Release shift before the mouse produces a rectangle. Releasing
> the mouse first produces a larger square.
>
> Dan

Okay, so now I tested this with 6.2.6.2. Here are my results:
*Corner*
Releasing Shift first: *Square*
Releasing mouse button first: *Rectangle*
*Side*
Releasing Shift first:  *Rectangle *
Releasing mouse button first:  *Rectangle *

So it's at least possible to drag and release to a square, but the result
is NOT the same as the pre-drawn square that you see while moving the mouse.
I think this feature needs a little more work. It's not a perfect "what you
see is what you get", as far as I'm concerned. Why the pre-drawing if the
result is going to be something else anyway?

Johnny Rosenberg

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

On 9/12/19 16:47, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> Den tors 12 sep. 2019 kl 18:35 skrev Dan Lewis <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Strange, when I create a square image, I can shift+drag to resize the
>> image symmetrically. This is using 6.3.1.2. In my case, I released the
>> mouse button *before* shift. I did this with a corner and both sides
>> (top and bottom). The order of which (shift, mouse) is released does
>> matter when using anyone of the sides. It does not matter when using the
>> corner. Release shift before the mouse produces a rectangle. Releasing
>> the mouse first produces a larger square.
>>
>> Dan
>>

> Okay, so now I tested this with 6.2.6.2. Here are my results:
> *Corner*
> Releasing Shift first: *Square*
> Releasing mouse button first: *Rectangle*
> *Side*
> Releasing Shift first:  *Rectangle *
> Releasing mouse button first:  *Rectangle *
>
> So it's at least possible to drag and release to a square, but the result
> is NOT the same as the pre-drawn square that you see while moving the mouse.
> I think this feature needs a little more work. It's not a perfect "what you
> see is what you get", as far as I'm concerned. Why the pre-drawing if the
> result is going to be something else anyway?
>

> Johnny Rosenberg

  I just retested this with 6.2.6.1 (pre-release from the LO website). I
get a square using either side or a corner when releasing the mouse
button first. Perhaps this is the difference: I continue to hold down
the shirt key until the square is redrawn. It is the exact same size as
what it was just before releasing the mouse.

Personally, I still think that using the Position and Size dialog to set
the size desired.

Den tors 12 sep. 2019 kl 23:06 skrev Dan Lewis <[hidden email]>:

> On 9/12/19 16:47, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> > Den tors 12 sep. 2019 kl 18:35 skrev Dan Lewis <[hidden email]
> >:
> >
> >> Strange, when I create a square image, I can shift+drag to resize the
> >> image symmetrically. This is using 6.3.1.2. In my case, I released the
> >> mouse button *before* shift. I did this with a corner and both sides
> >> (top and bottom). The order of which (shift, mouse) is released does
> >> matter when using anyone of the sides. It does not matter when using the
> >> corner. Release shift before the mouse produces a rectangle. Releasing
> >> the mouse first produces a larger square.
> >>
> >> Dan
> >>

> > Okay, so now I tested this with 6.2.6.2. Here are my results:
> > *Corner*
> > Releasing Shift first: *Square*
> > Releasing mouse button first: *Rectangle*
> > *Side*
> > Releasing Shift first:  *Rectangle *
> > Releasing mouse button first:  *Rectangle *
> >
> > So it's at least possible to drag and release to a square, but the result
> > is NOT the same as the pre-drawn square that you see while moving the
> mouse.
> > I think this feature needs a little more work. It's not a perfect "what
> you
> > see is what you get", as far as I'm concerned. Why the pre-drawing if the
> > result is going to be something else anyway?
> >

> > Johnny Rosenberg
>
>   I just retested this with 6.2.6.1 (pre-release from the LO website). I
> get a square using either side or a corner when releasing the mouse
> button first. Perhaps this is the difference: I continue to hold down
> the shirt key until the square is redrawn. It is the exact same size as
> what it was just before releasing the mouse.
>
> Personally, I still think that using the Position and Size dialog to set
> the size desired.
>
> Dan

I just tested again and now the results were different. maybe I was just
tired or something. Now it draws a square (or a rectangle with its original
ratio) if I release the mouse button first, no matter if I drag a corner or
a side.

I agree that using the dialogue is desired, but that doesn't mean that
other ways to do it shouldn't work as designed. But it seems to work after
all, I'm not sure what I did wrong before. I'll test again.

Aaah! I think I got it.
It seems to be different depending on how you drew the original shape. If I
select a square and draw it, then uncheck the keep ratio check box in
"Position and Size", then I get those strange results in my previous post.
If I, on the other hand, draw a rectangle while holding the shift key to
create a square in the first place, then when I drag and release to change
its size, everything works as expected.
I'äm not sure why, though. So something might be wrong after all, but not
sure if it's a bug or a feature.

Johnny Rosenberg

Mike Scott-2 Mike Scott-2

On 12/09/2019 22:19, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> Aaah! I think I got it.
> It seems to be different depending on how you drew the original shape. If I
> select a square and draw it, then uncheck the keep ratio check box in
> "Position and Size", then I get those strange results in my previous post.
> If I, on the other hand, draw a rectangle while holding the shift key to
> create a square in the first place, then when I drag and release to change
> its size, everything works as expected.
> I'äm not sure why, though. So something might be wrong after all, but not
> sure if it's a bug or a feature.
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

Am I missing something in this discussion?

The OP asked:
"....let's say I want to make it larger vertically and as click & hold
and drag down I want it to not just get bigger vertically down but
symmetrically up too;..."

It seems to me he's asking, not for proportions to be kept the same, but
for resizing not to move the centre of the object.

So in Inkscape, I drag a handle on the right of the object: right edge
moves. I shift-drag on the right, and both right and left edges move,
keeping the centring the same.

Control-drag keeps proportions the same, moving right, top, bottom
edges; control-shift drag keeps proportions and centring the same,
moving all 4 edges.

OTOH in Draw, dragging a right edge moves the right edge; shift-dragging
moves right, top and bottom, keeping proportions and shifting the centre
horizontally. And that's all the choice you have.

It's been an annoying (mis-)feature as long as I remember.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England