Restructure of website Wiki

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Restructure of website Wiki

From the conference call outcomes, it is clear that the wiki will
provide a pivotal role in coordinating the team.
There has been a call to restructure the website wiki page. The
question is how should we approach this.

From what I understand, a flat structure is better for translations and i10n.
I would like to see pages with sub-pages / categories dedicated to:

Infrastructure and admin - for plans for implementing and improving the tools

Web Design - for Theming and standard reusable element development

Structure - For Information Architecture and wireframe development

Resources - A collection of logos, elements, images, links to videos etc.

Stakeholders - Details about each stakeholder/team and their
requirements from our infrastructure

Content - Working copies of the website content so anyone can suggest changes.

Proposals - Discussion about bigger ideas than the current infrastructure.

Have I missed anything?
Can someone with wiki moderation/admin experience weigh in on how
better to practically implement a structure.

Thanks,

Mike Wheatland

Nino Nino

Re: Restructure of website Wiki

Hi Michael,

thanks for posting the minutes here.

On Thursday 27 January 2011 00:56, Michael Wheatland wrote:

> From what I understand, a flat structure is better for translations
> and i10n.

could you explain what is meant by "flat structure"?

> I would like to see pages with sub-pages / categories
> dedicated to:
>
> Infrastructure and admin - for plans for implementing and improving
> the tools

Category "Website/Admin" created (as "Infrastructure" is already used)

> Web Design - for Theming and standard reusable element development

Do I understand it right that this is about all those issues of the
Design team that are related to the website?

I created a category Website/Design but maybe the other way suites
better ("Design/Website"???)

> Structure - For Information Architecture and wireframe development

created category "Website/Structure"

> Resources - A collection of logos, elements, images, links to videos
> etc.

Created category "Website/Resources"

> Stakeholders - Details about each stakeholder/team and their
> requirements from our infrastructure

Category "Website/Stakeholder" created.

> Content - Working copies of the website content so anyone can suggest
> changes.

created cat. "Website/Content" and "Website/Sandbox". Content - for
content related , Sandbox - as playground.

> Proposals - Discussion about bigger ideas than the current
> infrastructure.

created category "Website/Proposals".

> Have I missed anything?
> Can someone with wiki moderation/admin experience weigh in on how
> better to practically implement a structure.

Categories can be used for quick categorizing existing pages.

Find all Categories here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Category:Website

Feel free to change category names or descriptions.

Nino

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Michael Wheatland wrote on 2011-01-27 00.56:
>  From the conference call outcomes, it is clear that the wiki will
> provide a pivotal role in coordinating the team.
> There has been a call to restructure the website wiki page. The
> question is how should we approach this.

before we go on: Are you aware of the plans that I send to this list
some weeks ago, with an English TDF wiki, localized LibO wikis, and an
internal wiki for the TDF board and admins?

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Volker Merschmann Volker Merschmann

Re: Restructure of website Wiki

Hi Florian,

2011/1/27 Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>:

> Michael Wheatland wrote on 2011-01-27 00.56:
>>
>>  From the conference call outcomes, it is clear that the wiki will
>> provide a pivotal role in coordinating the team.
>> There has been a call to restructure the website wiki page. The
>> question is how should we approach this.
>
> before we go on: Are you aware of the plans that I send to this list some
> weeks ago, with an English TDF wiki, localized LibO wikis, and an internal
> wiki for the TDF board and admins?

I think the subject of this thread is a bit misunderstandable. The
talk is just about the wiki pages for the website project, not the the
whole wiki.

Volker

--
++ Volker Merschmann - ODF-Software Contributor

Wheatbix Wheatbix

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Volker Merschmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think the subject of this thread is a bit misunderstandable. The
> talk is just about the wiki pages for the website project, not the the
> whole wiki.
>
> Volker

Thank you for clarifying this point Volker.
This is aimed only at improving collaboration within the website team.

Mike

Mike Houben Mike Houben

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:40:48 +0100, Nino Novak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> thanks for posting the minutes here.
>
> On Thursday 27 January 2011 00:56, Michael Wheatland wrote:
>
>> From what I understand, a flat structure is better for translations
>> and i10n.
>
> could you explain what is meant by "flat structure"?
>
>> I would like to see pages with sub-pages / categories
>> dedicated to:
>>
>> Infrastructure and admin - for plans for implementing and improving
>> the tools

What for tools?!

> Category "Website/Admin" created (as "Infrastructure" is already used)
>

>> Web Design - for Theming and standard reusable element development
>
> Do I understand it right that this is about all those issues of the
> Design team that are related to the website?
>
> I created a category Website/Design but maybe the other way suites
> better ("Design/Website"???)

It's more about the Interface not the Design. It's a Team overlapping
Problem.

>> Structure - For Information Architecture and wireframe development
>
> created category "Website/Structure"

Wireframe's are part of the Design Team. The Structure is Website Team.

>> Resources - A collection of logos, elements, images, links to videos
>> etc.
>
> Created category "Website/Resources"

Shouldn't this better be a Link to where the Design Team has his Inventory
for all?! (So everything is up-to-date and no duplicate problems)

>> Stakeholders - Details about each stakeholder/team and their
>> requirements from our infrastructure
>
> Category "Website/Stakeholder" created.

I think each Team should have their own Page in the Teams Wiki Part.

--
Mike Houben
UI - Coding - Animation

http://www.crazyhstudio.net

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Restructure of website Wiki

Hi Mike,

nice to see you here, and thanks for your thoughts :-) And thanks to
Michael who currently takes care of so many things being documented in
the wiki - great to see as well!

Am Donnerstag, den 27.01.2011, 04:47 -0800 schrieb Mike Houben:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:40:48 +0100, Nino Novak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 January 2011 00:56, Michael Wheatland wrote:

> >> Infrastructure and admin - for plans for implementing and improving
> >> the tools
>
> What for tools?!

Mmh, just guessing, but maybe the administration interfaces, the
download counter, the mirrorbrain download magic, the Piwik data
collection, ...

> > Category "Website/Admin" created (as "Infrastructure" is already used)
> >

> >> Web Design - for Theming and standard reusable element development
> >
> > Do I understand it right that this is about all those issues of the
> > Design team that are related to the website?
> >
> > I created a category Website/Design but maybe the other way suites
> > better ("Design/Website"???)
> >

> It's more about the Interface not the Design. It's a Team overlapping
> Problem.

True, but not harmful :-) Maybe even fruitful.

> >> Structure - For Information Architecture and wireframe development
> >
> > created category "Website/Structure"
>
> Wireframe's are part of the Design Team. The Structure is Website Team.

Hhm, information architecture might also be supported by the Design team
(user experience, usability, information architecture, ...). Some of the
stuff will be delivered in wireframes that can then be enhanced
(finalized) by visual design.

But, it (to me) it doesn't matter who wants to come up with proposals -
e.g. a wireframe design. Whether it is the Website team, the Design
team, or anybody else. Usually - and hopefully - we will end up in close
cooperation, so it rather matters that everybody is aware of "where to
find" stuff.

So, why not adding categories for the teams being involved to a certain
degree? For example, we might additionally add the (not yet existing)
"Design/Support" to (just a proposal) "Website/Development". Same
applies for Marketing, Local Teams, ...

> >> Resources - A collection of logos, elements, images, links to videos
> >> etc.
> >
> > Created category "Website/Resources"
> >

> Shouldn't this better be a Link to where the Design Team has his Inventory
> for all?! (So everything is up-to-date and no duplicate problems)

Good point - something I also thought about, because we e.g. created the
MIME icons (provided to the development), supported the development of
the branding (important for many teams) and will also continue with the
presentation template (which is mainly used by Marketing). Weird
thing :-)

So I think Mike has a good thought here: How about providing the "final"
things to the website team, where it can be "just used"? I expect those
things to be important to the outer world as well. In this case, the
development, the discussions ... might be done within the Design Team;
until the stuff is ready for production use.

[...]

> >> Have I missed anything?
> >> Can someone with wiki moderation/admin experience weigh in on how
> >> better to practically implement a structure.
> >
> > Categories can be used for quick categorizing existing pages.
> >
> > Find all Categories here:
> > http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Category:Website

Thanks Nino, thanks Michael and Mike!

Cheers,
Christoph

Wheatbix Wheatbix

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 4:47 AM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, den 27.01.2011, 04:47 -0800 schrieb Mike Houben:
>> >
>> > Created category "Website/Resources"
>> >

>> Shouldn't this better be a Link to where the Design Team has his Inventory
>> for all?! (So everything is up-to-date and no duplicate problems)
>
> Good point - something I also thought about, because we e.g. created the
> MIME icons (provided to the development), supported the development of
> the branding (important for many teams) and will also continue with the
> presentation template (which is mainly used by Marketing). Weird
> thing :-)
>
> So I think Mike has a good thought here: How about providing the "final"
> things to the website team, where it can be "just used"? I expect those
> things to be important to the outer world as well. In this case, the
> development, the discussions ... might be done within the Design Team;
> until the stuff is ready for production use.

There are a plethora of resources for the website team. We should not
duplicate the design teams infrastructure, but web building is much
more than just the visual design.
Obviously we should/will be linking to the design teams library but we
do need our own resource library which will also link to the other
relevant team resources.

Am Freitag, den 28.01.2011, 08:57 +0930 schrieb Michael Wheatland:

> videos

> >> Shouldn't this better be a Link to where the Design Team has his
> Inventory
> >> for all?! (So everything is up-to-date and no duplicate problems)
> >
> > Good point - something I also thought about, because we e.g. created
> the
> > MIME icons (provided to the development), supported the development
> of
> > the branding (important for many teams) and will also continue with
> the
> > presentation template (which is mainly used by Marketing). Weird
> > thing :-)
> >
> > So I think Mike has a good thought here: How about providing the
> "final"
> > things to the website team, where it can be "just used"? I expect
> those
> > things to be important to the outer world as well. In this case, the
> > development, the discussions ... might be done within the Design
> Team;
> > until the stuff is ready for production use.
>
> There are a plethora of resources for the website team. We should not
> duplicate the design teams infrastructure, but web building is much
> more than just the visual design.
> Obviously we should/will be linking to the design teams library but we
> do need our own resource library which will also link to the other
> relevant team resources.

Hhm, it's much more than visual design ... same opinion. In the case
above, I thought it was about "logos, elements, ..." (according to the
description) that have to be created, and will be used by the website
team. If there is much more, then it's easy to wait ... but since you've
asked for comments :-)

Cheers,
Christoph