Retrieve a specific message from the ML

Ady Ady

Retrieve a specific message from the ML

Hello,

I am trying to retrieve a specific message from the mailing list (so
to reply to it), by sending an empty message to
 " [hidden email] "

as per the help from " [hidden email] ".

I have already sent a mail according to the specific msg number I
want to retrieve, but have not received an answer.

If the msg number would be, say, 12345, is
 " [hidden email] "

the correct address? Or, am I doing something wrong?

TIA,
Ady.

Nino Nino

Re: Retrieve a specific message from the ML

Am 13.10.2013 20:24, schrieb Ady:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to retrieve a specific message from the mailing list (so
> to reply to it), by sending an empty message to
>  " [hidden email] "
>
> as per the help from " [hidden email] ".
>
> I have already sent a mail according to the specific msg number I
> want to retrieve, but have not received an answer.
>
> If the msg number would be, say, 12345, is
>  " [hidden email] "
>
> the correct address? Or, am I doing something wrong?

Looks fine.

I just tried it with your mail and it worked (but took rather long,
about 5 minutes)

Are you sure you are subscribed to the list?

Are you sending from your subscription address?

Did you choose an appropriate N ? E.g. for your mail, to which I'm
actually responding, it's the 34301 - the number from the Return-path
header line.

Nino

Ady Ady

Re: Retrieve a specific message from the ML

> Am 13.10.2013 20:24, schrieb Ady:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to retrieve a specific message from the mailing list (so
> > to reply to it), by sending an empty message to
> >  " [hidden email] "
> >
> > as per the help from " [hidden email] ".
> >
> > I have already sent a mail according to the specific msg number I
> > want to retrieve, but have not received an answer.
> >
> > If the msg number would be, say, 12345, is
> >  " [hidden email] "
> >
> > the correct address? Or, am I doing something wrong?
>
> Looks fine.
>
> I just tried it with your mail and it worked (but took rather long,
> about 5 minutes)
>
> Are you sure you are subscribed to the list?
>
> Are you sending from your subscription address?
>
> Did you choose an appropriate N ? E.g. for your mail, to which I'm
> actually responding, it's the 34301 - the number from the Return-path
> header line.
>
> Nino

Thank you for the info.

Well, apparently, finding the correct msg number is part of the
problem.

Let's assume I sent the wrong number, I should be able to receive at
least the msg that corresponds to *that* number (since I am already
subscribed to the list). I waited for much more than 5 minutes
without receiving *any* reply to my request (sent to users+get...),
independently of the number I used.

But the more important issue regarding this matter is to be able to
find out the correct number without having the original message (the
one that I'm trying to retrieve). Evidently, I won't be able to
"read" the "Return-path" value before I have the msg.

I thought that the msg number would correspond with the number
presented in the mail archives ("34065" would correspond to my first
email in this thread, according to the mail archives, which is of
course different from "34301" from the aforementioned "Return-path").

So, let's start from the beginning, with the relevant info that is
not included in the help of this ML: How a user can obtain the
correct msg number so to use it in
 " [hidden email] " ?

I would expect for the answer to that question to be somehow related
to the public mailing list archive, but it seems I am wrong.

So, anyone knows the correct answer / method?

TIA,
Ady.

nabbler nabbler

On 13/10/2013, Ady <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to retrieve a specific message from the mailing list (so
> to reply to it), by sending an empty message to
>  " [hidden email] "
>
> as per the help from " [hidden email] ".
>
> I have already sent a mail according to the specific msg number I
> want to retrieve, but have not received an answer.
>
> If the msg number would be, say, 12345, is
>  " [hidden email] "

Assuming your are referring to digest mode, all is correct. Sometimes
the delay to receive the retrieved message is quite long (> 10 minutes
at a guess).

nabbler nabbler

On 14/10/2013, e-letter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13/10/2013, Ady <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to retrieve a specific message from the mailing list (so
>> to reply to it), by sending an empty message to
>>  " [hidden email] "
>>
>> as per the help from " [hidden email] ".
>>
>> I have already sent a mail according to the specific msg number I
>> want to retrieve, but have not received an answer.
>>
>> If the msg number would be, say, 12345, is
>>  " [hidden email] "
>>

> Assuming your are referring to digest mode, all is correct. Sometimes
> the delay to receive the retrieved message is quite long (> 10 minutes
> at a guess).

Sorry for the poor English..."...you are referring..." :)

Ady Ady

Re: Retrieve a specific message from the ML

> On 13/10/2013, Ady <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to retrieve a specific message from the mailing list (so
> > to reply to it), by sending an empty message to
> >  " [hidden email] "
> >
> > as per the help from " [hidden email] ".
> >
> > I have already sent a mail according to the specific msg number I
> > want to retrieve, but have not received an answer.
> >
> > If the msg number would be, say, 12345, is
> >  " [hidden email] "
> >

> Assuming your are referring to digest mode, all is correct. Sometimes
> the delay to receive the retrieved message is quite long (> 10 minutes
> at a guess).

No, I'm not referring to digest mode.

I am referring to "nomail" mode, and then retrieving specific
messages by using <[hidden email]>.

The problem: there is no way to know the desired correct "N" for
someone subscribed by <[hidden email]>
so to be able to retrieve it.

There are several ways to  _read_ messages. There is no effective way
to _retrieve_ a specific message (since the correct "N" is unknown to
a "nomail" subscribed user).

To the Admin(s) of the ML,
 any answer to this question?

TIA,
Ady.

nabbler nabbler

On 15/10/2013, Ady <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Assuming your are referring to digest mode, all is correct. Sometimes
>> the delay to receive the retrieved message is quite long (> 10 minutes
>> at a guess).
>>

> No, I'm not referring to digest mode.
>
> I am referring to "nomail" mode, and then retrieving specific
> messages by using <[hidden email]>.

Surely, by definition nomail mode means that you do not receive any messages?

> The problem: there is no way to know the desired correct "N" for
> someone subscribed by <[hidden email]>
> so to be able to retrieve it.
>
> There are several ways to  _read_ messages. There is no effective way
> to _retrieve_ a specific message (since the correct "N" is unknown to
> a "nomail" subscribed user).
>
> To the Admin(s) of the ML,
>  any answer to this question?

In my opinion use digest mode. For example, replying to the digest
mode message will create a reply as so:

On 15/10/2013, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Topics (messages 34322 through 34351):
> - [libreoffice-users] Re: Installing extensions
> -       34322 - Alex Thurgood <[hidden email]>

Therefore, sending the reply message to:
'[hidden email]' will retrieve the message
shown above.