[SC] Decision about CMS

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
257 messages Options
Next » 1234 ... 13
André Schnabel André Schnabel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[SC] Decision about CMS

Hi,

I see that there are lots of discussion, which CMS to use, what features
are needed ... at the other hand, users and language teams need more
info at our website - nad without the infrastructure in place we cannot
give more information.

The issue has been briefly discussed in the last SC-meeting and we
would ask you (the team here at the website list) to come up with a
proposal this week.

Please consider, that we will never find a solution that fits all and
we will see migrations of infrastrucure in the next year anyway.
So please help us to get a good start - but let us start.


regards,

André
--
Neu: GMX De-Mail - Einfach wie E-Mail, sicher wie ein Brief!  
Jetzt De-Mail-Adresse reservieren: http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/demail

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Benjamin Horst Benjamin Horst
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [SC] Decision about CMS

Hello,

On Oct 18, 2010, at 4:37 AM, Andre Schnabel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I see that there are lots of discussion, which CMS to use, what features
> are needed ... at the other hand, users and language teams need more
> info at our website - nad without the infrastructure in place we cannot
> give more information.
>
> The issue has been briefly discussed in the last SC-meeting and we
> would ask you (the team here at the website list) to come up with a
> proposal this week.
>
> Please consider, that we will never find a solution that fits all and
> we will see migrations of infrastrucure in the next year anyway.
> So please help us to get a good start - but let us start.

I have been advocating we use Drupal, and over the past week it appears that others have come to the same consensus (especially after Andrea Pescetti joined the discussion and pointed out several facts, including that the OOo Template and Extension sites use Drupal. Further, the current version, newer than what those sites use, provides several major improvements that will benefit us.)

Please, if anyone feels differently, chime in here now!

In addition, I have worked on a site outline and wireframes of several pages. This is a draft but I feel it's a solid foundation for the IA of our website. You can download the file here: http://www.solidoffice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/LibreOffice-Homepage-Wires1.odg

Thanks,
Ben

Benjamin Horst
[hidden email]
646-464-2314 (Eastern)
www.solidoffice.com


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Leif Lodahl Leif Lodahl
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [SC] Decision about CMS

In reply to this post by André Schnabel
 I suggest that we take a look at http://www.cmsmatrix.org/ .

This is a site with core facts about almost all relevant CMS's.

Cheers,
Leif

Den 18-10-2010 10:37, Andre Schnabel skrev:

> Hi,
>
> I see that there are lots of discussion, which CMS to use, what features
> are needed ... at the other hand, users and language teams need more
> info at our website - nad without the infrastructure in place we cannot
> give more information.
>
> The issue has been briefly discussed in the last SC-meeting and we
> would ask you (the team here at the website list) to come up with a
> proposal this week.
>
> Please consider, that we will never find a solution that fits all and
> we will see migrations of infrastrucure in the next year anyway.
> So please help us to get a good start - but let us start.
>
>
> regards,
>
> André


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [SC] Decision about CMS

In reply to this post by Benjamin Horst
Hi Benjamin, *,

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Benjamin Horst <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2010, at 4:37 AM, Andre Schnabel wrote:
>>
>> Please consider, that we will never find a solution that fits all and
>> we will see migrations of infrastrucure in the next year anyway.
>> So please help us to get a good start - but let us start.
>
> I have been advocating we use Drupal, [...]
>
> Please, if anyone feels differently, chime in here now!

Well, of course I have another picture. So far, while "promised",
there's no usable drupal demo out there that meets the needs layed out
before, whereas silverstripe is available and being tried out
currently by a small group from german-lang project.

So I'm strongly in favor of silverstripe...

ciao
Christian

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Benjamin Horst Benjamin Horst
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [SC] Decision about CMS

Christian,

You had dropped off the discussion for the past several days, so I wasn't sure if you were still following.

On Oct 18, 2010, at 10:42 AM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

> Hi Benjamin, *,
>
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Benjamin Horst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Oct 18, 2010, at 4:37 AM, Andre Schnabel wrote:
>>>
>>> Please consider, that we will never find a solution that fits all and
>>> we will see migrations of infrastrucure in the next year anyway.
>>> So please help us to get a good start - but let us start.
>>
>> I have been advocating we use Drupal, [...]
>>
>> Please, if anyone feels differently, chime in here now!
>
> Well, of course I have another picture. So far, while "promised",
> there's no usable drupal demo out there that meets the needs layed out
> before, whereas silverstripe is available and being tried out
> currently by a small group from german-lang project.
>
> So I'm strongly in favor of silverstripe...

However, I think you're the only one. :) I've counted roughly 4-5 people who are in favor of Drupal, including Andrea Pescetti, who replied to the thread at length on Oct 16. Please read Andrea's email because it includes very good points.

Silverstripe does not seem to offer the groupware functionality that Drupal can provide us--which lets ad hoc groups form to support various projects, like marketing initiatives for specific regions or around specific events. It's a very powerful paradigm that would be great for our work. Take a look at an example of it in use at the NYC Drupal user group: http://groups.drupal.org/nyc This is something we could replicate for regional LibO groups, and it's powerful!)

If I don't have time to install a complete Drupal demo site (because I have a demanding day job), that is not a sufficient reason to run roughshod over the request by myself and other community members to give it a fair review. Christian--you seem to have the time to install and test Silverstripe, but you refuse to install Drupal. Why not go ahead and test it side-by-side, yourself? We're not looking for an "acceptable" CMS, we're looking for the "best CMS for our purposes." And I think we need you to be an advocate for the best outcome, not for a particular CMS that happened to be the first one you found that worked for you. (We can't stop searching at the first acceptable option; we need to fairly compare all top candidates for current and expected future requirements.)

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
[hidden email]
646-464-2314 (Eastern)
www.solidoffice.com


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

drewjensen drewjensen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Decision about CMS - a different perspective ( was Re: [libreoffice-website] [SC] Decision about CMS)

Howdy Folks,

Just an idea - as even though I just gone done saying in a different
email that we have only existed for 21 days, it has been 21 days and the
time to choose and start is, IMO, drawing nigh.

So a different perspective - Who is actually planning on doing the
install, and willing to commit to the time to see it through:

- Where is this being hosted?
- Who is going to be doing the server admin?
- Who is going to do CMS install/customization?
- Who will commit to the ongoing admin tasks for the instance of the CMS
package (not just content admin functions)?

Before you say, can't answer till you know the CMS, lets just a quick
head count and see who is actually willing to accept the responsibility
- cause I don't know, I know some of you are, as we really down the
question one over the other it's best to remember that the people
planning actually doing the work should and must have a large role in
making the final decision, even if those of us on the periphery will no
doubt have input and some influence.

Anyway, just how I would approach at this moment...shouldn't really
distract from what I'm reading about demo systems, and such.

Thanks

Drew


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Document Foundation Mail Archives
drewjensen drewjensen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Decision about CMS - a different perspective ( was Re: [libreoffice-website] [SC] Decision about CMS)

On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 11:53 -0400, Drew Jensen wrote:

> Howdy Folks,
>
> Just an idea - as even though I just gone done saying in a different
> email that we have only existed for 21 days, it has been 21 days and the
> time to choose and start is, IMO, drawing nigh.
>
> So a different perspective - Who is actually planning on doing the
> install, and willing to commit to the time to see it through:
>
> - Where is this being hosted?
> - Who is going to be doing the server admin?
> - Who is going to do CMS install/customization?
> - Who will commit to the ongoing admin tasks for the instance of the CMS
> package (not just content admin functions)?
>
> Before you say, can't answer till you know the CMS, lets just a quick
> head count and see who is actually willing to accept the responsibility
> - cause I don't know, I know some of you are, as we really down the
> question one over the other it's best to remember that the people
> planning actually doing the work should and must have a large role in
> making the final decision, even if those of us on the periphery will no
> doubt have input and some influence.
>
> Anyway, just how I would approach at this moment...shouldn't really
> distract from what I'm reading about demo systems, and such.
>


Sorry for my terrible typing skills there:

Just a quick addon here:

I'm assuming, and bet most are, that Florian is the server admin. It
looks to me like Per is active doing so also.

Is there anyone here willing to accept the responsibility to help admin
the CMS instance, say for the next year, without regard to which CMS is
selected? (cause I have to think it's going to evolve quickly, so it is
going to be a reasonable time commitment for the admin, at least for the
first couple of months, my best guess anyway)

Thanks Again - and I'll go back to reading all these emails..

//me


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Document Foundation Mail Archives
Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Decision about CMS - a different perspective ( was Re: [libreoffice-website] [SC] Decision about CMS)

Hi Drew, *,

Am Montag, 18. Oktober 2010, 18:12:35 schrieb Drew Jensen:
(...)

> Just a quick addon here:
>
> I'm assuming, and bet most are, that Florian is the server admin. It
> looks to me like Per is active doing so also.
>
> Is there anyone here willing to accept the responsibility to help admin
> the CMS instance, say for the next year, without regard to which CMS is
> selected? (cause I have to think it's going to evolve quickly, so it is
> going to be a reasonable time commitment for the admin, at least for the
> first couple of months, my best guess anyway)

I don't think nobody will accept such a responsibility, because no one is familar
with a huge number (or maybe all) CMS.

I think we should ask the other way around. Who is willing to do the CMS admin job
for a year or so and for which CMS he could provide this work. If we find the perfect
CMS but we have no one, who could do the job, we had to go with the second or third
best CMS ;-)

just my 2 € cent

Regards,
Andreas
--
## OOoPDFConverter: http://ooopdfconverter.sourceforge.net
## Meine Seite: http://www.amantke.de 

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Andy Brown Andy Brown
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Decision about CMS - a different perspective ( was Re: [libreoffice-website] [SC] Decision about CMS)

On Mon Oct 18 2010 12:56:25 GMT-0700 (PDT)  Andreas Mantke wrote:

> Hi Drew, *,
>
> Am Montag, 18. Oktober 2010, 18:12:35 schrieb Drew Jensen:
> (...)
>> Just a quick addon here:
>>
>> I'm assuming, and bet most are, that Florian is the server admin. It
>> looks to me like Per is active doing so also.
>>
>> Is there anyone here willing to accept the responsibility to help admin
>> the CMS instance, say for the next year, without regard to which CMS is
>> selected? (cause I have to think it's going to evolve quickly, so it is
>> going to be a reasonable time commitment for the admin, at least for the
>> first couple of months, my best guess anyway)
>
> I don't think nobody will accept such a responsibility, because no one is familar
> with a huge number (or maybe all) CMS.
>
> I think we should ask the other way around. Who is willing to do the CMS admin job
> for a year or so and for which CMS he could provide this work. If we find the perfect
> CMS but we have no one, who could do the job, we had to go with the second or third
> best CMS ;-)
>
> just my 2 € cent
>
+1

Andy

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

drewjensen drewjensen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Decision about CMS - a different perspective ( was Re: [libreoffice-website] [SC] Decision about CMS)

On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 13:06 -0700, Andy Brown wrote:

> On Mon Oct 18 2010 12:56:25 GMT-0700 (PDT)  Andreas Mantke wrote:
> > Hi Drew, *,
> >
> > Am Montag, 18. Oktober 2010, 18:12:35 schrieb Drew Jensen:
> > (...)
> >> Just a quick addon here:
> >>
> >> I'm assuming, and bet most are, that Florian is the server admin. It
> >> looks to me like Per is active doing so also.
> >>
> >> Is there anyone here willing to accept the responsibility to help admin
> >> the CMS instance, say for the next year, without regard to which CMS is
> >> selected? (cause I have to think it's going to evolve quickly, so it is
> >> going to be a reasonable time commitment for the admin, at least for the
> >> first couple of months, my best guess anyway)
> >
> > I don't think nobody will accept such a responsibility, because no one is familar
> > with a huge number (or maybe all) CMS.
> >
> > I think we should ask the other way around. Who is willing to do the CMS admin job
> > for a year or so and for which CMS he could provide this work. If we find the perfect
> > CMS but we have no one, who could do the job, we had to go with the second or third
> > best CMS ;-)
> >
> > just my 2 € cent
> >
> +1
>

What ever works - I think you all got the thrust of where I was going
with that.

Thanks




--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Document Foundation Mail Archives
Andy Brown Andy Brown
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Decision about CMS - a different perspective ( was Re: [libreoffice-website] [SC] Decision about CMS)

On Mon Oct 18 2010 13:17:18 GMT-0700 (PDT)  Drew Jensen wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 13:06 -0700, Andy Brown wrote:
>> On Mon Oct 18 2010 12:56:25 GMT-0700 (PDT)  Andreas Mantke wrote:
>>> Hi Drew, *,
>>>
>>> Am Montag, 18. Oktober 2010, 18:12:35 schrieb Drew Jensen:
>>> (...)
>>>> Just a quick addon here:
>>>>
>>>> I'm assuming, and bet most are, that Florian is the server admin. It
>>>> looks to me like Per is active doing so also.
>>>>
>>>> Is there anyone here willing to accept the responsibility to help admin
>>>> the CMS instance, say for the next year, without regard to which CMS is
>>>> selected? (cause I have to think it's going to evolve quickly, so it is
>>>> going to be a reasonable time commitment for the admin, at least for the
>>>> first couple of months, my best guess anyway)
>>> I don't think nobody will accept such a responsibility, because no one is familar
>>> with a huge number (or maybe all) CMS.
>>>
>>> I think we should ask the other way around. Who is willing to do the CMS admin job
>>> for a year or so and for which CMS he could provide this work. If we find the perfect
>>> CMS but we have no one, who could do the job, we had to go with the second or third
>>> best CMS ;-)
>>>
>>> just my 2 € cent
>>>
>> +1
>>
>
> What ever works - I think you all got the thrust of where I was going
> with that.
>
> Thanks

Yep, Get'r done. :)




--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Keith Williams Keith Williams
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Decision about CMS - a different perspective ( was Re: [libreoffice-website] [SC] Decision about CMS)

In reply to this post by drewjensen
At the moment I'm super busy with projects for the next 2 weeks, but i'm
interested in helping.

I setup a Drupal install for Ben.  If anyone knows how to Drupal and can
help him I'd provide the login / password for the install to that person.

I would be willing to do a webinar to demo Drupal features that you may not
be aware of.

All the projects that i'm working on are Drupal projects.  I have in depth
knowledge of virtually every aspect of the system and I'd be willing to
donate services to build out the website, if it was Drupal.

I may even be able to come up with some hosting resources for the project,
since i'm in the process of setting up a high performance scalable drupal
infrastructure on Amazon Web Services.


On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Drew Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 13:06 -0700, Andy Brown wrote:
> > On Mon Oct 18 2010 12:56:25 GMT-0700 (PDT)  Andreas Mantke wrote:
> > > Hi Drew, *,
> > >
> > > Am Montag, 18. Oktober 2010, 18:12:35 schrieb Drew Jensen:
> > > (...)
> > >> Just a quick I' here:
> > >>
> > >> I'm assuming, and bet most are, that Florian is the server admin. It
> > >> looks to me like Per is active doing so also.
> > >>
> > >> Is there anyone here willing to accept the responsibility to help
> admin
> > >> the CMS instance, say for the next year, without regard to which CMS
> is
> > >> selected? (cause I have to think it's going to evolve quickly, so it
> is
> > >> going to be a reasonable time commitment for the admin, at least for
> the
> > >> first couple of months, my best guess anyway)
> > >
> > > I don't think nobody will accept such a responsibility, because no one
> is familar
> > > with a huge number (or maybe all) CMS.
> > >
> > > I think we should ask the other way around. Who is willing to do the
> CMS admin job
> > > for a year or so and for which CMS he could provide this work. If we
> find the perfect
> > > CMS but we have no one, who could do the job, we had to go with the
> second or third
> > > best CMS ;-)
> > >
> > > just my 2 € cent
> > >
> > +1
> >
>
> What ever works - I think you all got the thrust of where I was going
> with that.
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
>
> --
> E-mail to [hidden email] <website%[hidden email]>for instructions on how to unsubscribe
> List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
> All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> deleted
>
>


--
*Thought Farm Productions <http://www.thoughtfarmproductions.com>
[hidden email]*
*(201) 691-7057*

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Carlos Jenkins Carlos Jenkins
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [SC] Decision about CMS

In reply to this post by Benjamin Horst
I was also supporting Drupal, trying to explain what features or modules
could we use on a Drupal site. On my last e-mail I think I did pointed out
that every of the needs we have (or a least has been pointed out) can be
covered with Drupal, even with specific modules names.

So, If we recheck the whole thread, I think that Drupal is the consensus,
except for Christian. This demonstrate one very important thing that has
already been pointed out: community members that are capable to support the
site and community around the software.

Christian, after your suggestion that e-mail confirmation on register wasn't
on Drupal I'm pretty sure you don't know Drupal, not even in a superficial
way. I, myself, has tested Silverstripe as I didn't know it, but simple
there is nothing like drush+cck+views.

Benjamin Horst, Keith Williams and maybe Andrea Pescetti has already started
to build a demo site, please wait for them. I can't help you right now guys,
sorry.

No bad reviews has been pointed out to Drupal, but for Silverstripe is quite
different, several opinions and one link has been provided to help make the
decision.

As Bejamin wrote on the other thread: "Please do not just go ahead with this
because you want to get it done. It's really important to thoroughly review
the options and honestly take the community's feedback into consideration."

Cheers

----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cjenkins.net/
http://csl-tec.softwarelibrecr.org/

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Keith Williams Keith Williams
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [SC] Decision about CMS

Yes.  I am new to this project; however, I have to really tell you...

If you use something like silverstripe over drupal you WILL be spending MORE
development time implementing features, you will HAVE less support, and YOU
will NOT have the best CMS for a community / feature rich site.

Who would like a real demo of Drupal?  I can do that and I think it will
illustrate why it is so useful.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Carlos Jenkins <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I was also supporting Drupal, trying to explain what features or modules
> could we use on a Drupal site. On my last e-mail I think I did pointed out
> that every of the needs we have (or a least has been pointed out) can be
> covered with Drupal, even with specific modules names.
>
> So, If we recheck the whole thread, I think that Drupal is the consensus,
> except for Christian. This demonstrate one very important thing that has
> already been pointed out: community members that are capable to support the
> site and community around the software.
>
> Christian, after your suggestion that e-mail confirmation on register
> wasn't
> on Drupal I'm pretty sure you don't know Drupal, not even in a superficial
> way. I, myself, has tested Silverstripe as I didn't know it, but simple
> there is nothing like drush+cck+views.
>
> Benjamin Horst, Keith Williams and maybe Andrea Pescetti has already
> started
> to build a demo site, please wait for them. I can't help you right now
> guys,
> sorry.
>
> No bad reviews has been pointed out to Drupal, but for Silverstripe is
> quite
> different, several opinions and one link has been provided to help make the
> decision.
>
> As Bejamin wrote on the other thread: "Please do not just go ahead with
> this
> because you want to get it done. It's really important to thoroughly review
> the options and honestly take the community's feedback into consideration."
>
> Cheers
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.cjenkins.net/
> http://csl-tec.softwarelibrecr.org/
>
> --
> E-mail to [hidden email] <website%[hidden email]>for instructions on how to unsubscribe
> List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
> All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> deleted
>
>


--
*Thought Farm Productions <http://www.thoughtfarmproductions.com>
[hidden email]*
*(201) 691-7057*

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Stanislas Garret Stanislas Garret
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Decision about CMS - a different perspective ( was Re: [libreoffice-website] [SC] Decision about CMS)

In reply to this post by Keith Williams
+1
I'm willing to be a member of the admin/setup project team.

Stan
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:StanG

2010/10/18 Keith Williams <[hidden email]>

> At the moment I'm super busy with projects for the next 2 weeks, but i'm
> interested in helping.
>
> I setup a Drupal install for Ben.  If anyone knows how to Drupal and can
> help him I'd provide the login / password for the install to that person.
>
> I would be willing to do a webinar to demo Drupal features that you may not
> be aware of.
>
> All the projects that i'm working on are Drupal projects.  I have in depth
> knowledge of virtually every aspect of the system and I'd be willing to
> donate services to build out the website, if it was Drupal.
>
> I may even be able to come up with some hosting resources for the project,
> since i'm in the process of setting up a high performance scalable drupal
> infrastructure on Amazon Web Services.
>
>
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Drew Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 13:06 -0700, Andy Brown wrote:
> > > On Mon Oct 18 2010 12:56:25 GMT-0700 (PDT)  Andreas Mantke wrote:
> > > > Hi Drew, *,
> > > >
> > > > Am Montag, 18. Oktober 2010, 18:12:35 schrieb Drew Jensen:
> > > > (...)
> > > >> Just a quick I' here:
> > > >>
> > > >> I'm assuming, and bet most are, that Florian is the server admin. It
> > > >> looks to me like Per is active doing so also.
> > > >>
> > > >> Is there anyone here willing to accept the responsibility to help
> > admin
> > > >> the CMS instance, say for the next year, without regard to which CMS
> > is
> > > >> selected? (cause I have to think it's going to evolve quickly, so it
> > is
> > > >> going to be a reasonable time commitment for the admin, at least for
> > the
> > > >> first couple of months, my best guess anyway)
> > > >
> > > > I don't think nobody will accept such a responsibility, because no
> one
> > is familar
> > > > with a huge number (or maybe all) CMS.
> > > >
> > > > I think we should ask the other way around. Who is willing to do the
> > CMS admin job
> > > > for a year or so and for which CMS he could provide this work. If we
> > find the perfect
> > > > CMS but we have no one, who could do the job, we had to go with the
> > second or third
> > > > best CMS ;-)
> > > >
> > > > just my 2 € cent
> > > >
> > > +1
> > >
> >
> > What ever works - I think you all got the thrust of where I was going
> > with that.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > E-mail to [hidden email] <website%[hidden email]><
> website%[hidden email] <website%[hidden email]>>for
> instructions on how to unsubscribe
> > List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
> > All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot
> be
> > deleted
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> *Thought Farm Productions <http://www.thoughtfarmproductions.com>
> [hidden email]*
> *(201) 691-7057*
>
> --
> E-mail to [hidden email] <website%[hidden email]>for instructions on how to unsubscribe
> List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
> All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> deleted
>
>

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [SC] Decision about CMS

In reply to this post by Benjamin Horst
Hi Benjamin, *,

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Benjamin Horst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You had dropped off the discussion for the past several days, so I wasn't sure if you were still following.

I thought I made it pretty clear that to judge, I want a demo that
meets all the initial requirements.
And people were telling: I'll create such a site. Thus I laid back and
waited for the result.

> On Oct 18, 2010, at 10:42 AM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Benjamin Horst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> So I'm strongly in favor of silverstripe...
>
> However, I think you're the only one. :)

No surprise.

> I've counted roughly 4-5 people who are in favor of Drupal, including Andrea Pescetti, who replied to
> the thread at length on Oct 16. Please read Andrea's email because it includes very good points.

I read all the mails in this thread, but just because Drupal has a big
fanbase doesn't convice me to actually use it.

> Silverstripe does not seem to offer the groupware functionality that Drupal can provide us

Saiy who?
I mean I selected silverstripe after thinking about the initial
requirements, and I found it to comply with all of them.

> If I don't have time to install a complete Drupal demo site (because I have a demanding day job),
> that is not a sufficient reason to run roughshod over the request by myself and other community
> members to give it a fair review.

You (all drupal fanboys/supporters) so far communicated the same about drupal.
It can do anything if you just spend enough time configuring it properly.

So yes: I demand *other* that are familiar with drupal to do it.

>Christian--you seem to have the time to install and test Silverstripe,

Yes, because installing it didn't take long. It basically was ready
right from the start.

> but you refuse to install Drupal.

Yes. Because their demos didn't convince me. It only tells: "You need
to put a heck worth of work into customizing it/hunting for the
appropriate plugins to get there where silverstipe is more or less
out-of-the-box.

And as also written a couple of times: As silverstipe fits my
needs/the needs I did lay out (and nobody else added points to), why
should I invest time in drupal?

And as you mentioned the extension site running drupal: That is
another point why I don't really want to consider it. A statement that
swirls around in my head from the folks as OSUOSL (where that site is
hosted) was that those sites are those that require most ressources.

>Why not go ahead and test it side-by-side, yourself?

Because then you'll again state: But you didn't install module x/y
that would have solved all your problems, because then you'll state:
You should have had an expert install it, etc.

ciao
Christian

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [SC] Decision about CMS

In reply to this post by Carlos Jenkins
Hallo Carlos,

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Carlos Jenkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> Christian, after your suggestion that e-mail confirmation on register wasn't
> on Drupal

Citation please, I never wrote that.
I wrote that this is something lacking on silverstripe, the one thing
that I disliked, but also one I don't deem very important, as approval
for members (granting them write/modification rights) is to be
requeste/approved by the project-leads anyway.

> I'm pretty sure you don't know Drupal, not even in a superficial
> way.

Then you didn't read my mails, or read it in such a selective way that
you only did understand what you wanted to hear.

Yes: I didn't give drupal a thorough test. I asked, I demanded someone
with drupal knowledge to set up a demo site that doesn't suck as much
as the official demo.

> I, myself, has tested Silverstripe as I didn't know it, but simple
> there is nothing like drush+cck+views.

Unless you state why you would need a commandline interface (there is
one btw), that statement is void. Same for cck (it's imple to extend a
page with custom properties in silverstripe, there is no UI, but you
don't need one, the UI is for the editors who access the
functionality, no need to have one for site maintainers.

> Benjamin Horst, Keith Williams and maybe Andrea Pescetti has already started
> to build a demo site, please wait for them. I can't help you right now guys,
> sorry.

Yes. but until now nothing happened.

> No bad reviews has been pointed out to Drupal, but for Silverstripe is quite
> different, several opinions and one link has been provided to help make the
> decision.

So where do you get this idea from?
Anyone who can use a search enginge can find hits for "drupal sucks"
or examples why drupal is not the best choice or whatever.
What bad review of silverstipe has been pointed out on this list?

ciao
Christian

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [SC] Decision about CMS

In reply to this post by Keith Williams
Hi Keith, *,

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Keith Williams
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes.  I am new to this project; however, I have to really tell you...

I cannot resist either, then this:

> If you use something like silverstripe over drupal you WILL be spending MORE
> development time implementing features, you will HAVE less support, and YOU
> will NOT have the best CMS for a community / feature rich site.

Is the exact same resonings Microsoft uses to defend Microsoft Office
and tells people to stay away from alternatives like OpenOffice.org

> Who would like a real demo of Drupal?  I can do that and I think it will
> illustrate why it is so useful.

I think I explained that in virtually *every* post of mine. /I/ want a
real demo.

ciao
Christian

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Carlos Jenkins Carlos Jenkins
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [SC] Decision about CMS

In reply to this post by Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Hi Christian,

Citation please, I never wrote that.
> I wrote that this is something lacking on silverstripe, the one thing
> that I disliked, but also one I don't deem very important, as approval
> for members (granting them write/modification rights) is to be
> requeste/approved by the project-leads anyway.


But we where talking about user registration. Citation:

http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/msg00181.html

>>Should not be hard to modify the existing form to use it, it's just
>> not available by default.
>
>On Drupal? Yes, it is available by default... well, if you mean by
"default"
>things available on the core system.

What bad review of silverstipe has been pointed out on this list?
>

http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/msg00178.html

Anyway, do whatever you like. I really don't care anymore :)

--
http://www.cjenkins.net/
http://csl-tec.softwarelibrecr.org/

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Keith Williams Keith Williams
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [SC] Decision about CMS

In reply to this post by Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
I'm going to do a real demo, but i'm waiting for other to say they want to
signup for one.  contact me on skype to have one and i'll do a screen
share.  You never contacted me directly to set one up

kaw3939 is my skype ID

Silverstripe.org presents more information better than silverstripe.org it
seems to have modules.  It just doesn't have CCK and Views and these are
what I will show you.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Christian Lohmaier <
[hidden email] <lohmaier%[hidden email]>>wrote:

> Hi Keith, *,
>
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Keith Williams
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Yes.  I am new to this project; however, I have to really tell you...
>
> I cannot resist either, then this:
>
> > If you use something like silverstripe over drupal you WILL be spending
> MORE
> > development time implementing features, you will HAVE less support, and
> YOU
> > will NOT have the best CMS for a community / feature rich site.
>
> Is the exact same resonings Microsoft uses to defend Microsoft Office
> and tells people to stay away from alternatives like OpenOffice.org
>
> > Who would like a real demo of Drupal?  I can do that and I think it will
> > illustrate why it is so useful.
>
> I think I explained that in virtually *every* post of mine. /I/ want a
> real demo.
>
> ciao
> Christian
>
> --
> E-mail to [hidden email] <website%[hidden email]>for instructions on how to unsubscribe
> List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
> All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> deleted
>
>


--
*Thought Farm Productions <http://www.thoughtfarmproductions.com>
[hidden email]*
*(201) 691-7057*

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Next » 1234 ... 13